• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Rheon

Yeah the visuals just look like a touched up T6.. which is really disappointing considering Harada and co made a big deal about UE4 talking about vastly improved visual quality and what not. Those obvious polygons..

I was expecting at least better than KI on the Xbone.

Probably one of those looks better in action type things and they're trying to run the game in 60fps with their first try with UE4. Cut em some slack at least a lil

AAK

Visual fidelity is a complete none issue. Tekken 6 was a beautiful game. If it has that game's visual prowess I'm satisfied. The problem i have with the graphics is

1. Legacy Art direction
2. Legacy attack and idle animations
3. Obnoxiously ugly customizations

The other thing to consider is load times... But i can't complain about that yet.

av2k

Wonder if the Drag costume is something from Time Crisis 5 they also announced.

Bob dressed as Pacman incoming.

Speaking of Time Crisis, that character with the backwards hat looks ridiculous. lol, looking forward to a decent light shooter though!

GrayFoxPL

Speaking of Time Crisis, that character with the backwards hat looks ridiculous. lol, looking forward to a decent light shooter though!

Yeah, hahah.

i1Yihc4MA1GFL.jpg

ibcEtro9DvVne1.jpg

Who...Who designs those dudes? XD

Imagine if those were the new T7 characters. OMG.

Devastator's ALIVE! Was wondering, did you go to StrongStyle?

Unfortunately real life got in the way and I didnt go. I was super bummed out about it, couldn't even sleep that weekend cause of how sad I was. I was looking forward to entering the last chance entry too. With all the good players already in the tourney I thought I had a shot to actually win a match or two.

av2k

Hey AAK, do you know what I can't chat in avoiding the puddle's stream? I can only do it from my phone but not my work computer. :\

m0t0k1

Hey AAK, do you know what I can't chat in avoiding the puddle's stream? I can only do it from my phone but not my work computer. :\

I dont use twitch mobile but maybe you can only log in to one account? Try logging out on your phone and log in via computer?

AAK

Dang sorry to hear that :( Hope the real life stuff worked out at least devastator!

Hmm... I have no idea... motok's idea sounds pretty sensible.

av2k

Dang sorry to hear that :( Hope the real life stuff worked out at least devastator!

Hmm... I have no idea... motok's idea sounds pretty sensible.

I dont use twitch mobile but maybe you can only log in to one account? Try logging out on your phone and log in via computer?

Still no dice fellas. :\ I actually see myself chatting from mobile to the chat room but I can't actually in the room without the "2 seconds before reconnecting" error again.

m0t0k1

Still no dice fellas. :\ I actually see myself chatting from mobile to the chat room but I can't actually in the room without the "2 seconds before reconnecting" error again.

Well there are some other standard things you could try to do. Like Clearing cookies and cache of the browser. But small chance that will work.

Anyone in NA wanna play later? It's hard to drop a game semi-completely when you have absolutely nothing else to play and play with fg wise.
That explains why you and AAK were playing so weak. But yeah, I would agree, it would be so nice to have something to fall back on. I still have beef with AAK in DOA, but I am kinda wish-washy on who I want to main. Brad Wong is fun and all, but he is kinda like Yoshimitsu in Tekken. You start to feel your sanity slipping the more you play them. Anyways, GGs guys. Would have played longer, but winning gets old.

That explains why you and AAK were playing so weak. But yeah, I would agree, it would be so nice to have something to fall back on. I still have beef with AAK in DOA, but I am kinda wish-washy on who I want to main. Brad Wong is fun and all, but he is kinda like Yoshimitsu in Tekken. You start to feel your sanity slipping the more you play them. Anyways, GGs guys. Would have played longer, but winning gets old.

Idk if AAK has that excuse but yeah. I would probably be playing SCIIHD if the online didn't suck >_>

Sayah

Who created those Time Crisis character models? Jeez Louise.

Wow. I made it to rank 9 in just 9 months. I need to explore some other parts of NeoGAF maybe^^

Those costumizations look horrible, but I have to admit that the musketeer costume really suits Leo :p

Well, I pretty much only post in Tekken threads on this site.....and occasionally I'll get active in FGW. That's about it.

Nothing else here interests me.

Like I'm interested in Smash but I wouldn't go in the Smash thread because there's way too many people posting there and it's hard to keep track.

The main reason for my switch to Julia/Hwoarang was because of my love for the Tag Assault system. Those characters can do sooo much with TA's. Armor King just didn't have anything fun with the Tag Assault system despite cartwheel-elbow being one of the best TA's in the game. The only cool TA thing was the elbow drop as a wall filler.

Now that Tag is all gone... I don't really see the burning passion to play as Julia despite still loving her moveset. With okizeme mechanics pretty much being halfed that's a HUUUGE part of Julia's game just thrown out the window. For who I'm gonna play in T7 I'm gonna have to experiment heavily with all the new mechanics in the game to see which character has the most potential to exploit them in creative ways. Rage Arts are a non-factor because they can be controlled so the only major new additions is the Power crush moves and air bound. Those all look like mechanics that are derivative to pretty much everyone in the cast and I don't see too much variation between characters like the way Tag Assault provided the characters.

And if the final product will be just like that I will play the character I think looks the coolest. Since I am a bit fatigued of all the current cast I want a fresh new movelist to indulge myself into. Katarina looks kinda cool but if her button inputs are as brainless as rumored, I don't think she'll be too fun to execute moves with. Claudio just reminds me too much of Lars in certain ways that makes me repel myself from him haha. I just hope there's gonna be a bunch of new movelists introduced in the game for me to dig into! But as of right now, from the Location test footage Steve looks the most fun by FAR. His airbound moves look really cool and he still animates cooler than 90% of the cast. But man if I am gonna main him it's gonna take sooooo much work LOL.

Hwoarang is always an option... but as I always said, my main choice for playing him was for how he complemented Julia. Playing Hwoarang alone just feels kinda.... obnoxious :p. But I will say it's frustrating playing a character with no while rising launcher!

And if Nina gets the T6-Bruce movelist overhaul... she'll definitely be in my radar for a main :) That character has so many cool things and looks like a worthy investment!

But alas, first need to see how massive the mechanics change things... that's still the pandora that could change everything for how I approach the game.

I will probably pick up Hwoarang. Maybe we will alternate our mains. :p

AAK

Hey man you were in my head. Your poking game was too strong, had no idea how to hit you when you were in RDS too. Kept whiffing and getting launched LOL. I guess it's safe to say I'm pretty weak against you. But GG's sorry I wasn't much of a challenge. I'll try harder next time!

av2k

Yesterday AAK revealed to me that I don't do enough tracking moves.

I also notice that I overestimate my opponents. The objective is to hit the opponent until his or her health reaches zero, not to play as safe as possible and take zero risks.

qTQh5os.gif

http://www.twitch.tv/socaltekken/b/580192795?t=167m

I would argue that the final metagame does involve taking barely any risks and being more turtley with movement. A sustained attack will often lead to patterns that can be exploited by the opponent imo. Nice set!

Dereck

I would argue that the final metagame does involve taking barely any risks and being more turtley with movement. A sustained attack will often lead to patterns that can be exploited by the opponent imo. Nice set!
You would not hesitate to throw out a hellsweep with Devil Jin if you had rage, I would, and I would never do it.

av2k

You would not hesitate to throw out a hellsweep with Devil Jin if you had rage, I would, and I would never do it.

I only throw out hellsweep when I know when you're willing to duck or not but if I went hellsweep all day, I'd get my face mashed in. l have to build a consensus on your duck/standing ratio and when the critical time comes (usually when I have no health), I'll sneak in my hellsweep. Before even attempting those hellsweeps, I have to make sure you're not going to crush/random duck/ss/poke by having a more robust poking/whiff punishing game.

Dereck

What separates me from other players for better or for worse, is that that thought process rarely enters my mind, because doing the hellsweep basically would not be an option. The reason? It's too risky, or no, I could get punished if it's blocked, but you, you think about doing it, or, you would probably do it. This is also why I lose matches, I am too stiff, too apprehensive to really do anything but your occasional minor low, and safe mids.

I'm not saying I should do more hellsweeps, I was just using that move as an example for whatever big boy low my character would have.

av2k

What separates me from other players for better or for worse, is that that thought process rarely enters my mind, because doing the hellsweep basically would not be an option. The reason? It's too risky, or no, I could get punished if it's blocked, but you, you think about doing it, or, you would probably do it. This is also why I lose matches, I am too stiff, too apprehensive to really do anything but your occasional minor low, and safe mids.

I'm not saying I should do more hellsweeps, I was just using that move as an example for whatever big boy low my character would have.

Absolutely, I see what you mean. I believe a ton of moves have their place but over using any one move would be opened to be countered. The only thing that I really do "abuse" is movement but then again, our characters are absolutely different in approach. Where you have more poking tools, I have safer launchers but I have to set them up correctly. Whatever the case is, it's pretty interesting seeing how your game evolve over time, can't wait to play you again if I ever get a ps3/ps4 in my vicinity.

sasuke_91

O man, I might be going to Japan in late January. I might try to push it to Feb now so I can play some T7. O shiet....

Nice. Definitely try to delay your trip a bit^^

Well, I pretty much only post in Tekken threads on this site.....and occasionally I'll get active in FGW. That's about it.

Nothing else here interests me.

Like I'm interested in Smash but I wouldn't go in the Smash thread because there's way too many people posting there and it's hard to keep track.

Yeah. I tried that Kingdom Hearts OT, AnimeGAF and many other OTs, but there's too many people and too many posts. I'll just stay here where I feel comfortable^^

I currently try to become a Berserker with Hwoarang/Steve, but I lack agressiveness and my knowledge about certain characters is quite bad. And I should grab more >_<

m0t0k1

Yeah. I tried that Kingdom Hearts OT, AnimeGAF and many other OTs, but there's too many people and too many posts. I'll just stay here where I feel comfortable^^

I currently try to become a Berserker with Hwoarang/Steve, but I lack agressiveness and my knowledge about certain characters is quite bad. And I should grab more >_<

You should stick with what you are comfortable with. I rarely did post when i joined gaf because its is just random people shouting random things. But community threads feel better for me because people you get to know people and usually they try to be helpful at the game. I really started posting when i created the Love Live thread. But yeah i still post on the occasional Nintendo direct threads to share in the hype but i have no interest in console wars BS or replying to random fanboys trying to ruin a thread. This community is nice :D.

Also beware of doing the right timing on grabs. So many times i tried to imply more grabs in my game only to be whiffing them and get heavy punished for it >_<.

Dereck

I would like to see you get Warrior just as much as you would want to see me get Pugilist or whatever, but I gotta say dude, that isn't gonna fly. I've been demoted from Warrior, I'm a Warrior now, only because I've tried to rank up twice and got demoted to Fighter, but then got back to Warrior in the same day. I can't do it anymore man, takes too much energy, sweating and frustration. Don't take it too seriously, you can pull a me and just play with Beginner characters without a care in the world.

sasuke_91

Also beware of doing the right timing on grabs. So many times i tried to imply more grabs in my game only to be whiffing them and get heavy punished for it >_<.

Haha, yeah I know these situations. Also, throw breaking is soo hard. I just randomly mash a button when I see a grab coming, how am I supposed to see which hand comes first? :p

I would like to see you get Warrior just as much as you would want to see me get Pugilist or whatever, but I gotta say dude, that isn't gonna fly. I've been demoted from Warrior, I'm a Warrior now, only because I've tried to rank up twice and got demoted to Fighter, but then got back to Warrior in the same day. I can't do it anymore man, takes too much energy, sweating and frustration. Don't take it too seriously, you can pull a me and just play with Beginner characters without a care in the world.

9 months ago I was stuck at Grand Master. Brawler seemed too hard for me, my defense was bad and I didn't know a thing about duckable strings and launch punishable moves. I made so much progress since then and only made it 3 ranks higher (Fighter). That shit is too hard and frustrating, but I really want to see how far I can make it, because I don't see Fighter as my limit. Yeah, rank is not important and just because I'm a Berserker doesn't mean that I'm a better player. You're a much better player and only made it to Warrior, but still...
I won't take it too seriously. I'll try it and if it doesn't work, I'll accept that.

Manbig

About your thought process there, when you really think about it, you actually do take risks similar to going for Hellsweeps. You duck a lot. Playing as Bob and Law will do that to you seeing as how it's an extra big part of their games. Basically, you are used to ducking offensively, which means that when you duck, you stay ducking for longer than someone who is fishing for low blocks/parries.

Now just like Av brought up only using Hellsweep after feeling out his opponent, this can also apply to you. I've told you before that I feel like you duck WAY too much. Not only that though, you have a tendency to duck regardless of what I'm doing. Whether I go for long range mids and hit you, did long range lows, or did highs that you would duck and punish, you still stayed ducking for a majority of the time at around range 1 (1 character space away). I assume that this habit came about because of Bob's fantastic WS launcher and Law's FC mix up, so I can't blame you for it. I still have trouble shaking off abuse of Marduk's d/b1+2 and 1,2,f1, even when people punish me hard for them.

Having said all of that, I just think that you need to be more abstract in your thought process. Find out what moves you can use to, as they say, play it safe. Keep that up to the best of your ability until you figure out your opponent's exploitable patterns. After that is when you should go for the big stuff.

HOWEVER, if you are unfamiliar with your opponent's character, this is where the challenge really comes in. When you opponent is able to exploit your ignorance on a match up, then there really is no such thing as playing it safe other than trying your best to space the hell away from them. Certain characters have tools to deal better with this situation (Mishimas), but most of the time your lack of knowledge will really hold you back in this situation.

That right there is the balance of Tekken. You may not need to know every single character's full movelist, but you damn sure better know every single character's key moves and shenanigans.

Dereck

About your thought process there, when you really think about it, you actually do take risks similar to going for Hellsweeps. You duck a lot. Playing as Bob and Law will do that to you seeing as how it's an extra big part of their games. Basically, you are used to ducking offensively, which means that when you duck, you stay ducking for longer than someone who is fishing for low blocks/parries.

Now just like Av brought up only using Hellsweep after feeling out his opponent, this can also apply to you. I've told you before that I feel like you duck WAY too much. Not only that though, you have a tendency to duck regardless of what I'm doing. Whether I go for long range mids and hit you, did long range lows, or did highs that you would duck and punish, you still stayed ducking for a majority of the time at around range 1 (1 character space away). I assume that this habit came about because of Bob's fantastic WS launcher and Law's FC mix up, so I can't blame you for it. I still have trouble shaking off abuse of Marduk's d/b1+2 and 1,2,f1, even when people punish me hard for them.

Having said all of that, I just think that you need to be more abstract in your thought process. Find out what moves you can use to, as they say, play it safe. Keep that up to the best of your ability until you figure out your opponent's exploitable patterns. After that is when you should go for the big stuff.

HOWEVER, if you are unfamiliar with your opponent's character, this is where the challenge really comes in. When you opponent is able to exploit your ignorance on a match up, then there really is no such thing as playing it safe other than trying your best to space the hell away from them. Certain characters have tools to deal better with this situation (Mishimas), but most of the time your lack of knowledge will really hold you back in this situation.

That right there is the balance of Tekken. You may not need to know every single character's full movelist, but you damn sure better know every single character's key moves and shenanigans.
Since I'm finished stunting my own growth in this game, I will take this advice.

I tend to have a more instinctual way of playing no matter the game. I just have those feelings where I know something will work and it does. Sometimes it doesn't and to be honestly I never counted(I probably should) how successful I've been with that.

I know Alex Valle said that that's a playstyle needed for top player play but for me o have adopted it so early is scary for me because it pretty much stunts my growth in playing a more straight laced game. I can from crazy solid to "Fuck it" in the matter of a round and that inconsistency hurts me.

For example....

GrayFoxPL

Dat feeling when you blocked 2 snake edges and think:" No way he'll do it third time. He'll go for a mid."

Third snake edge hits.

Lost match.

Sayah

Dat feeling when you blocked 2 snake edges and think:" No way he'll do it third time. He'll go for a mid."

Third snake edge hits.

Lost match.
Did you launch punish the two snake edges you blocked?

Unless you were using a useless ws character like hwoarang.

GrayFoxPL

Did you launch punish the two snake edges you blocked?

Unless you were using a useless ws character like hwoarang.

First punish was in open ws+2 with DJ, but the second was side wall splat and shit and I didn't know wall stuff with Devil Jin, everything was falling out. Got him to the damn rage anyway. Thought he'll definitely go for mid so I throw a jab but same time Snake Edge and 55% damage combo was too much. Lol.

I hate the walls in t6, tag2.

Top Bottom