• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Thought I would jot down Tekken experience, it mixes with Soul Calibur (I love me some Namco):

TK1: I didn't really play it when it first came out in the arcade. I was an MK2 player back then. We had like 5 MK2 machines at our arcade. One day they replaced MK2 in one of the showcase cabinets with Tekken 1. I was like WTF! Haha. There wasn't a lot of VS play on it from my memory. I remember playing through arcade mode a lot and the different camera angles and the fruit icons. And fighting in the stadium. Damn, I want a stadium stage. I felt clunky kinda, and stiff, but it had a certain charm. I didn't have a PS1, so I didn't get the home port.

TK2: I played this in the arcade ALOT. Lot's of people played VS as well. MK3 was very disappointing for me, and a lot of people at our arcade. Play on that started dwindling and people started playing this when it came out. They had it on of those 25in machines with the wide panel, so more elbow room, hehe. It was fun times. I started using Paul at this point. I am still noobing it up. Lots of 10 hits and unblockables. And those dumb floaty jumps. Lei and King were super popular. Remembering it still felt kind of stiff and the backgrounds got worse I thought. But still a lot of fun. Again, no PS1, so no home play :( But I still played a lot in the arcade till T3. I basically dropped MK at this point and just played tekken and SF Alpha series. I played a lot of Darkstalkers 1 as well. Loved that game, lol.

TK3: My arcade remodeled at this point and moved to a smaller spot. We got Tekken 3 on a big showcase cabinet. It was so fucking awesome. I still remember the EGM cover with the new characters on it. So damn hype. Anyways, I played this fucking a lot. It was very popular at our arcade. I was this and the marvel VS games that got all the play. Just kept on the SF Alpha train, along with SF EX, along with Tekken at this point. Also weirdly, I cared about beating arcade mode and the times and getting my initials up there. We would have these weird rivalries with initials we didn't know trying to beat the times. It was a pretty fun side thing. Still played Paul, but loved using Jin and that damn laser scraper and Law doing junkyard strings all day. I remember loving how it looked. I got that great Versus Books strategy guide as well. It was so well written. I learned a lot from that thing. At this time as well, I made my first trip to SHGL for a team tournament. Me and my friend got fucking destroyed. We learned so much that day though and the level of competition out there. Still no PS1, but I do remember renting a PS1 sometimes and tekken to play over weekends. Good times. Also a side note the old 25in tekken 2 machine got Soul Edge put into it. It was a sign....

TTT: I was living in Las Vegas when this came out. This game was big at the arcade I played at. I still remember when the game was first getting released, we were driving around town seeing which places got it. Some sports/kart racing place got it first for some reason. We played it there until our normal arcade got it. Like I said, tons of people played. I understood fighting games at this point, so this was a lot of fun. The TTT machine was next to the Capcom row. 99 was a great year. I just played 3rd strike, Alpha 3 and TTT (and NFL blitz and SF Rush 2049/Scud Race/Crazy Taxi) for hours after work in a smoke filled, dingy place. It was great. Alot of guys at our arcade were into tournaments and this was when I was away of the tournament scene and all the message and newsgroups. We made carpool weekend trips to SHGL a lot for tournaments. And the TTT regional were I choked, haha. I finally got a PS2 when the Matrix came out (dvd made me buy it). The TTT home port was glorious, and of course I put a lot of time into it.

TK4: This is a weird one. I started playing tekken less in this time frame. I got a Dreamcast and got hooked on Soul Calibur. And I was also playing massive amounts of 3rd strike still along with CVS2. I was living in LA now. The impending release still got me hyped though. I remember leaving work early to head down to SHGL when I heard they got a machine alone. It was such a departure from TTT, but I really liked it. I was playing less of tekken, so I liked all these changes (art and gameplay). I like how it felt and everybody’s new costumes and what not. Of course I think arcades were dying down at this time. I don't remember a super a lot of people playing it on the weekend at SHGL. The westwood arcade did not even get it I think, so I didn't make the drive a lot and didn't play that much. Then Soul Calibur 2 arcade came out. I think I converted full over to a SC player at the point, haha. It consumed me, I loved it so much. And the home SC2 ports just took over my soul.

TK5: I was just playing Soul Calibur at this point with 3rd strike on the side. I was kinda hyped for it. The arcade in westwood got a machine with the card reader, which kinda blew my mind. It also had sanwa parts, which kinda pissed me off. I was playing FGs with a Happ parts to this point. I was busy with work life at this point and couldn't make it to the arcade a lot. I did get the home port and played it a good amount. I used a lot of Law with Paul at this point. Lot's of Law vs my friends Nina. I was still playing a lot of SC2 and were just waiting for SC3 to release later that year. I still entered at the EVOs (along with all the EVO tekkens) and loved watching tournies. I know a lot of people hated SC3, but I loved it, along with the group I played with and we basically dropped TK5 and kept playing SC3 for a long time. I got the DR PS3 port eventually, but didn't play much to be honest, plus it was super laggy at first.

TK6: Didn't play this much when it first came out. I tried to get to Super arcade and Vid94 as much as I could, but work was making it hard. It looked really great, but I wasn't motivated to play for some reason. Maybe it was boring me, idk. SC4 came out, and it really disappointed me, along with the bad online code. SF4 arcade came out, and like a lot of people, I got back into SF. Was going to AI a lot on the way home from work and going to tournaments a lot. It didn't help that the TK6 home port was so much later. I bought it day 1 like I always do, but it didn't consume me. Felt more of the same or stale maybe, if I had to describe why I felt this way.

TTT2: It's a really good game. I tried to go to Round1 to play arcade. Glad the home port came faster. I played the home port a lot when it first came out. But SC5 came out earlier that year and was playing that a ton, and I was still playing SF4 a lot. Tekken kind of got pushed out. I am older, so have less free time I guess.

I am basically just playing SF4: Ultra a lot, and SC5 when I can find a match online, and boot up TTT2 once in a while. That is why I had these high hopes of TK7 being really overhauled, especially visually. I have been playing this series a lot of years. I guess my eyes yearned for something new, but was still tekken. I have been playing more recently (both TR and TTT2), because of the T7 anticipation though.

Sayah

Yeah, unfortunately I noticed that pattern. Hopefully, that will not be the case for Tekken 7. I want to properly learn it. Seems like my game time is becoming more and more limited, especially within the last few years. I will "hopefully" always make time for gaming because I really enjoy it and it helps me escape. It has always been a part of my life. I have always been infatuated with martial arts, action, combat and fighting games, so that probably explains why I own so many fighters that also take time away from Tekken. Honestly, I should only concentrate on 1 or even 2 fighters at a time instead of trying to learn 4-6 fighters simultaneously. Seems like I will never learn my lesson though.

Hahahaha, I'm the same way. Tekken was pretty much my initiation into gaming and I still have an interest in gaming thanks to a select few franchises.

Thought I would jot down Tekken experience, it mixes with Soul Calibur (I love me some Namco):

TK1: I didn't really play it when it first came out in the arcade. I was an MK2 player back then. We had like 5 MK2 machines at our arcade. One day they replaced MK2 in one of the showcase cabinets with Tekken 1. I was like WTF! Haha. There wasn't a lot of VS play on it from my memory. I remember playing through arcade mode a lot and the different camera angles and the fruit icons. And fighting in the stadium. Damn, I want a stadium stage. I felt clunky kinda, and stiff, but it had a certain charm. I didn't have a PS1, so I didn't get the home port.

TK2: I played this in the arcade ALOT. Lot's of people played VS as well. MK3 was very disappointing for me, and a lot of people at our arcade. Play on that started dwindling and people started playing this when it came out. They had it on of those 25in machines with the wide panel, so more elbow room, hehe. It was fun times. I started using Paul at this point. I am still noobing it up. Lots of 10 hits and unblockables. And those dumb floaty jumps. Lei and King were super popular. Remembering it still felt kind of stiff and the backgrounds got worse I thought. But still a lot of fun. Again, no PS1, so no home play :( But I still played a lot in the arcade till T3. I basically dropped MK at this point and just played tekken and SF Alpha series. I played a lot of Darkstalkers 1 as well. Loved that game, lol.

TK3: My arcade remodeled at this point and moved to a smaller spot. We got Tekken 3 on a big showcase cabinet. It was so fucking awesome. I still remember the EGM cover with the new characters on it. So damn hype. Anyways, I played this fucking a lot. It was very popular at our arcade. I was this and the marvel VS games that got all the play. Just kept on the SF Alpha train, along with SF EX, along with Tekken at this point. Also weirdly, I cared about beating arcade mode and the times and getting my initials up there. We would have these weird rivalries with initials we didn't know trying to beat the times. It was a pretty fun side thing. Still played Paul, but loved using Jin and that damn laser scraper and Law doing junkyard strings all day. I remember loving how it looked. I got that great Versus Books strategy guide as well. It was so well written. I learned a lot from that thing. At this time as well, I made my first trip to SHGL for a team tournament. Me and my friend got fucking destroyed. We learned so much that day though and the level of competition out there. Still no PS1, but I do remember renting a PS1 sometimes and tekken to play over weekends. Good times. Also a side note the old 25in tekken 2 machine got Soul Edge put into it. It was a sign....

TTT: I was living in Las Vegas when this came out. This game was big at the arcade I played at. I still remember when the game was first getting released, we were driving around town seeing which places got it. Some sports/kart racing place got it first for some reason. We played it there until our normal arcade got it. Like I said, tons of people played. I understood fighting games at this point, so this was a lot of fun. The TTT machine was next to the Capcom row. 99 was a great year. I just played 3rd strike, Alpha 3 and TTT (and NFL blitz and SF Rush 2049/Scud Race/Crazy Taxi) for hours after work in a smoke filled, dingy place. It was great. Alot of guys at our arcade were into tournaments and this was when I was away of the tournament scene and all the message and newsgroups. We made carpool weekend trips to SHGL a lot for tournaments. And the TTT regional were I choked, haha. I finally got a PS2 when the Matrix came out (dvd made me buy it). The TTT home port was glorious, and of course I put a lot of time into it.

TK4: This is a weird one. I started playing tekken less in this time frame. I got a Dreamcast and got hooked on Soul Calibur. And I was also playing massive amounts of 3rd strike still along with CVS2. I was living in LA now. The impending release still got me hyped though. I remember leaving work early to head down to SHGL when I heard they got a machine alone. It was such a departure from TTT, but I really liked it. I was playing less of tekken, so I liked all these changes (art and gameplay). I like how it felt and everybody’s new costumes and what not. Of course I think arcades were dying down at this time. I don't remember a super a lot of people playing it on the weekend at SHGL. The westwood arcade did not even get it I think, so I didn't make the drive a lot and didn't play that much. Then Soul Calibur 2 arcade came out. I think I converted full over to a SC player at the point, haha. It consumed me, I loved it so much. And the home SC2 ports just took over my soul.

TK5: I was just playing Soul Calibur at this point with 3rd strike on the side. I was kinda hyped for it. The arcade in westwood got a machine with the card reader, which kinda blew my mind. It also had sanwa parts, which kinda pissed me off. I was playing FGs with a Happ parts to this point. I was busy with work life at this point and couldn't make it to the arcade a lot. I did get the home port and played it a good amount. I used a lot of Law with Paul at this point. Lot's of Law vs my friends Nina. I was still playing a lot of SC2 and were just waiting for SC3 to release later that year. I still entered at the EVOs (along with all the EVO tekkens) and loved watching tournies. I know a lot of people hated SC3, but I loved it, along with the group I played with and we basically dropped TK5 and kept playing SC3 for a long time. I got the DR PS3 port eventually, but didn't play much to be honest, plus it was super laggy at first.

TK6: Didn't play this much when it first came out. I tried to get to Super arcade and Vid94 as much as I could, but work was making it hard. It looked really great, but I wasn't motivated to play for some reason. Maybe it was boring me, idk. SC4 came out, and it really disappointed me, along with the bad online code. SF4 arcade came out, and like a lot of people, I got back into SF. Was going to AI a lot on the way home from work and going to tournaments a lot. It didn't help that the TK6 home port was so much later. I bought it day 1 like I always do, but it didn't consume me. Felt more of the same or stale maybe, if I had to describe why I felt this way.

TTT2: It's a really good game. I tried to go to Round1 to play arcade. Glad the home port came faster. I played the home port a lot when it first came out. But SC5 came out earlier that year and was playing that a ton, and I was still playing SF4 a lot. Tekken kind of got pushed out. I am older, so have less free time I guess.

I am basically just playing SF4: Ultra a lot, and SC5 when I can find a match online, and boot up TTT2 once in a while. That is why I had these high hopes of TK7 being really overhauled, especially visually. I have been playing this series a lot of years. I guess my eyes yearned for something new, but was still tekken. I have been playing more recently (both TR and TTT2), because of the T7 anticipation though.

It is really fun and exciting reading people's nostalgia-filled fighting game experience and history. It seems a lot of the veteran fans that grew up with Tekken 1/2/3 are now all grown up and busy with their lives and don't get much time at all to play, which I completely understand.

m0t0k1

GGs last night.

Also, wall of shame (or fame)......however you want to look at it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=490246

I clearly need a life.

i have 56 post in this thread didn't know i had that many in here. Hope we can make it too OT2 took a couple of years but we are almost there. To help add to the thread i have a question anyone got some nice AO matches saved from tekken tag 2. I wanna get to know his Alisa better. But all i can find are the last evo and some low res Japanese t6 matches.

Sayah

O shit.

We are the Mishimas of this thread. ;D

Yes, we're S Tier. :p

i have 56 post in this thread didn't know i had that many in here. Hope we can make it too OT2 took a couple of years but we are almost there. To help add to the thread i have a question anyone got some nice AO matches saved from tekken tag 2. I wanna get to know his Alisa better. But all i can find are the last evo and some low res Japanese t6 matches.

AO was also at Final Round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMD6D-yGhc4

AAK

GGs last night.
Yeah GG's to the both of you. Despite the 100's of games we played together I don't think I ever managed to escape Anna's d/f+1,2 vortex unscathed. Respect to that refined Anna gameplay! I do remember when watching Speedkicks play you in ranked he would always remark about the calibre of your Anna. Kudos man.

Also, wall of shame (or fame)......however you want to look at it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=490246

Look at all those beautiful names... All these feels just seeing them aligned together...

HeihachiTears.gif

Ao was also in the winners top 8 of EVO, you can catch that too. Along with a recording of Ao's match against AV2k posted somewhere here in this thread. On the phone right now so I can't search.

Yo that's me indeed! The guy I'm sitting next to is Adeel, IchigoMugetsu guy from PSN. He's the Steve player that's taught me how to use that character. The guy behind me is an old school Toronto player that only shows up to like 1 major a year. He really understands Ling Xiaoyu! Also on the faaar left of the screen, the guy with the grey sweater is Muhammad, El-Neef from PSN, the Bryan player who's also from Ottawa. Unfortunately he's move to League of Legends and only plays Tekken when I ask him to :( Hope he comes back for Tekken 7!

Dereck

Question, how much time and money would it take for Bamco to make a brand new Tekken game re-using basically zero assets?

What other 3D fighting games do not re-use certain animations, is Tekken the only one?

People complain about outdated animations, like reversals, parries, grabs, throw breaks, old attacks. It could be cool to see everything new, but wouldn't that take a lot more money and time? Which would equal, more waiting time, and more complaints about the game taking too long.

AAK

No you're right that every 3D fighter recycles animations. I know that VF's P,P,P animations for a bunch of characters is still the same... Taki's A+G throw is still from the original Soul Blade... so many of Lei Feng animations look like they still belong in DOA1, etc. But I can't speak properly on behalf of those games... hopefully Oneida, Thespian, or Skilletor can chime in better for those titles.

However, I guess a big difference between them might be the consequential properties of those moves after they hit. The reason I suppose T7 is getting a lot of tired syndrome of their movelist is the type of hit animations that occur from moves. For example, doing Lee's WS+2,3 during a juggle has an animation of making them somersault continuously in the air. (I can't remember if this move was in T5...) But another example is doing Hwoarang's sky rocket on airborne opponents, it has that same hit animation. It's been looking like that ever since T5.0 which is exactly 10 years now. When you compound all these familiar animations then the effect becomes more pronounced. If Namco were to maybe change the hit animation these moves carry rather than the move animation itself, I guess people would be more open and less fatigued by the visual presentation of Tekken 7. I'm thinking the other 3D games do change the hit animations quite a bit compared to their iteration from 10 years ago (but I could be wrong).

Sayah

Yeah GG's to the both of you. Despite the 100's of games we played together I don't think I ever managed to escape Anna's d/f+1,2 vortex unscathed. Respect to that refined Anna gameplay! I do remember when watching Speedkicks play you in ranked he would always remark about the calibre of your Anna. Kudos man.

Thanks. :)

This is why I need Anna in Tekken 7. I'm gonna suck with Nina unless she ends up getting revamped like they're claiming. My mind and my hands cannot function enough during a match to do FP loops. I can do it non-stop in practice. No kidding. But in an actual match? Nope. Well, I have done it in actual matches but the likelihood of me dropping it is way higher.

Look at all those beautiful names... All these feels just seeing them aligned together...

HeihachiTears.gif

Hahaha. I still remember when I started here with the Tekken 6 thread. Those Tekken 6 days are long past. Despite all the lag and terrible netcode of that game, still managed to have fun. I don't usually ever see you using Armor King anymore so it's nice you had a change in characters (I want to do this in Tekken 7). I hope Jaycee's moveset stays, though. You are mad deadly with her.

I missed that many thanks! Will watch it right away.

No prob. :)

AAK

The main reason for my switch to Julia/Hwoarang was because of my love for the Tag Assault system. Those characters can do sooo much with TA's. Armor King just didn't have anything fun with the Tag Assault system despite cartwheel-elbow being one of the best TA's in the game. The only cool TA thing was the elbow drop as a wall filler.

Now that Tag is all gone... I don't really see the burning passion to play as Julia despite still loving her moveset. With okizeme mechanics pretty much being halfed that's a HUUUGE part of Julia's game just thrown out the window. For who I'm gonna play in T7 I'm gonna have to experiment heavily with all the new mechanics in the game to see which character has the most potential to exploit them in creative ways. Rage Arts are a non-factor because they can be controlled so the only major new additions is the Power crush moves and air bound. Those all look like mechanics that are derivative to pretty much everyone in the cast and I don't see too much variation between characters like the way Tag Assault provided the characters.

And if the final product will be just like that I will play the character I think looks the coolest. Since I am a bit fatigued of all the current cast I want a fresh new movelist to indulge myself into. Katarina looks kinda cool but if her button inputs are as brainless as rumored, I don't think she'll be too fun to execute moves with. Claudio just reminds me too much of Lars in certain ways that makes me repel myself from him haha. I just hope there's gonna be a bunch of new movelists introduced in the game for me to dig into! But as of right now, from the Location test footage Steve looks the most fun by FAR. His airbound moves look really cool and he still animates cooler than 90% of the cast. But man if I am gonna main him it's gonna take sooooo much work LOL.

Hwoarang is always an option... but as I always said, my main choice for playing him was for how he complemented Julia. Playing Hwoarang alone just feels kinda.... obnoxious :p. But I will say it's frustrating playing a character with no while rising launcher!

And if Nina gets the T6-Bruce movelist overhaul... she'll definitely be in my radar for a main :) That character has so many cool things and looks like a worthy investment!

But alas, first need to see how massive the mechanics change things... that's still the pandora that could change everything for how I approach the game.

Dereck

TMM on ATP Live this week!

T7 hits arcades Feb 2015, plus new images and information. Looks like some new rankings and what looks like player titles like SCV/Capcom games have.
I know you all will hate the alt outfits :lol

Wonkey da gawd.
!!!

What do y'all make of this?

bqNHsGQ.png

I'll never understand why they dont just start off by giving us pieces from past outfits. No need to spend time and money on ugly items when you have a huge backlog of really cool stuff. Give Nina her Tekken 3 2P top, pants, and heels. Bring back her jumpsuit from Tekken 4. Her awesome 2P outfit and nurse customization in Tekken 5DR. Her jacket, pants, and heels in T6. Steve's flower shirt and Christie's green top from T4, etc.

At the very least I hope they allow us to customize limbs again instead of just upper and lower body. No more Bob with boxing gloves please.

Anyways

I'll never understand why they dont just start off by giving us pieces from past outfits. No need to spend time and money on ugly items when you have a huge backlog of really cool stuff. Give Nina her Tekken 3 2P top, pants, and heels. Bring back her jumpsuit from Tekken 4. Her awesome 2P outfit and nurse customization in Tekken 5DR. Her jacket, pants, and heels in T6. Steve's flower shirt and Christie's green top from T4, etc.

At the very least I hope they allow us to customize limbs again instead of just upper and lower body. No more Bob with boxing gloves please.

Anyways

yeah, to be honest all i really do is try to recreate costumes from past games.

Been playing TTT2 again....I cracked :(

Manbig hold me....

Don't mind customizations, better than having complete custom characters pretty much ruining your favorite franchise besides Tekken. Still need old costumes

Sidenote: I think TA and by extension bound as we used to know it gave characters too much to work with combo wise. I don't think everyone should be capable of large wall carries or huge amounts of damage at the same time.

While this holds true from some characters like Ling/Miharu and Baek(TA combos mostly imo), it should be like it was back in T5DR where characters were more specialized when it came to combos. That's why I think the new tailspin or whatever we end up calling it is good because it doesn't lead to wall splat+wall combo or does it? Idk I'm just rambling here.

tldr: I'd prefer that when it comes to combos characters get more specialty than basically them all doing the same thing.

popyea

Man, that picture made me realise what a great design Zafina has. I'm using her exclusively at the moment and she's a lot of fun too.

I am going to shut up eternally. Please Namco stop...

In other news, Time Release Characters Confirmed:

https://twitter.com/richardhung713/status/524075870151913472

I like the idea of time release characters, but if they decide to make Nina one, like they did in TK4, I will be horribly depressed.
She's not a character that should be relegated to time release status, she's a main and she should be front and center in advertising, promotion, media assets etc, she should feature heavily in the story and she should definitely be playable from the start.

:-( With Nina as a trc and Anna gone this would be another Tekken 4 for me, only without that game's great story and brilliant character design and art direction.

WhinyWhinyWhineWhine

No you're right that every 3D fighter recycles animations. I know that VF's P,P,P animations for a bunch of characters is still the same... Taki's A+G throw is still from the original Soul Blade... so many of Lei Feng animations look like they still belong in DOA1, etc. But I can't speak properly on behalf of those games... hopefully Oneida, Thespian, or Skilletor can chime in better for those titles.

However, I guess a big difference between them might be the consequential properties of those moves after they hit. The reason I suppose T7 is getting a lot of tired syndrome of their movelist is the type of hit animations that occur from moves. For example, doing Lee's WS+2,3 during a juggle has an animation of making them somersault continuously in the air. (I can't remember if this move was in T5...) But another example is doing Hwoarang's sky rocket on airborne opponents, it has that same hit animation. It's been looking like that ever since T5.0 which is exactly 10 years now. When you compound all these familiar animations then the effect becomes more pronounced. If Namco were to maybe change the hit animation these moves carry rather than the move animation itself, I guess people would be more open and less fatigued by the visual presentation of Tekken 7. I'm thinking the other 3D games do change the hit animations quite a bit compared to their iteration from 10 years ago (but I could be wrong).
I think the biggest problem Tekken has is that it has the best *and* the worst animations of all the 3D fighters in the same game, so the end result is really jarring whenever old stuff pops up.

-Soulcalibur dropped most of the 1996 Soul Edge/Blade animations when they went to Calibur in 1998 (although they have several that could be touched up) so there are fewer instances of this juxtaposition.
-Dead or Alive's old animations (Lei Fang) aren't as bad as Tekken's old animations so they blend better.
-Virtua Fighter's new animations aren't as good as Tekken's new animations so they blend better.

Then add onto that the little things, like universal ducking, running, dashing, jumping, getting up, prone, etc animations that all the 3D fighters use (SC is a bit better out of the necessity that weapons makes them be more different) and they all look kind of stale compared to the SFs and GGs of the world. I always knew and noticed it, but seeing the SFxT characters have so much more personality that shines through because of their unique animations for their non attack animations was a stark reminder. I had hoped the Tekken team would have brought more of that over for Tekken 7, but at this point think it might take an all new 3D IP to really knock my socks off visually.

The last major new 3D IP debuted in 1996 so I don't foresee any new 3D IPs in the near future, sadly.

GrayFoxPL

!!!

What do y'all make of this?

bqNHsGQ.png
LOL at least Steve's and Drag's decent. Otherwise clowning your character will still be a thing in T7.

I am going to shut up eternally. Please Namco stop...

In other news, Time Release Characters Confirmed:

https://twitter.com/richardhung713/status/524075870151913472
I like time release for pure surprise factor.
Here the reason might be simple; "We haven't finished all the characters yet! We'll upload Nina this week and next month we'll be ready with Lee."

(...)Steve's flower shirt(...)

(...)I hope they allow us to customize limbs again instead of just upper and lower body.

Love the flower shirt but it may be lost forever because:

1. Harada hates T4 and everything it stood for.

2. T4 Steve look mimiced Brad Pitt from Guy Ritchie movie. Lawsuits.

3. Harada hates T4 more then I hate Alisa.

Ay on limb customs.

AAK

Anyways

Devastator's ALIVE! Was wondering, did you go to StrongStyle?

Personally, I don't even want the old costumes. I'm tired of looking at the same stuff. I want something fresh to look at. Just don't make it obnoxious or repulsive to look at...
I just cursed myself didn't I?

Who the fuck is making the decisions involving character customizations?

I ask myself this so many times. The only hope now is that those customs shown in the leaflet are the only ones they have ready while there are pure, legitimate VF5 style customs going to be in the game but just not ready yet... but that would be unrealistic of me to expect.

At this point it would be best for me to just forget about what I want from this game and just try to enjoy it for whatever good it can offer.

Been playing TTT2 again....I cracked :(

Manbig hold me....

Don't mind customizations, better than having complete custom characters pretty much ruining your favorite franchise besides Tekken. Still need old costumes

Sidenote: I think TA and by extension bound as we used to know it gave characters too much to work with combo wise. I don't think everyone should be capable of large wall carries or huge amounts of damage at the same time.

While this holds true from some characters like Ling/Miharu and Baek(TA combos mostly imo), it should be like it was back in T5DR where characters were more specialized when it came to combos. That's why I think the new tailspin or whatever we end up calling it is good because it doesn't lead to wall splat+wall combo or does it? Idk I'm just rambling here.

tldr: I'd prefer that when it comes to combos characters get more specialty than basically them all doing the same thing.

You are definitely right that bound took away a lot of the character specialty where characters like Jack and Paul became jugglers instead of only power hitters and King also became a Juggler rather than clear cut grappler. However, the new T7 mechanics don't change that all in my opinion. In fact, I feel they further strengthen everyone's juggle capabilities over T6. Being a fan of bound I don't mind this..... but the scenario where you mentioned how in T6 you could wall carry and then bound for crazy damage, I think Tekken 7 might be even more juggle centric:

Although bound is gone, the Heihachi-d/f+1,2 stun from TTT2 is now the hit animation off of bound moves in juggles for T7. This guarantees an unscaled ground hitting move like stomps and such. This is less damage than the complete bound wall combo you got off T6 BUT now you can do a juggle from one end of the screen --> do the airbound when you're 75% the way to the wall to send the opponent as far away --> Dash and do your last wall carry --> Once they wall splat do you T7 bound move --> Get free unscaled ground hitting move (that can also floor break which can then lead to a Tag Assault bound).

As long as the game is balanced around this like T6 was, I'd be OK with it, but the juggle potential is as dangerous as ever. And I'm only comparing T7 to other 1v1 games, it isn't fair to compare it with TTT2 because TTT2 has 2 health bars and the availability of Tag Crash. That changes everything.

I think the biggest problem Tekken has is that it has the best *and* the worst animations of all the 3D fighters in the same game, so the end result is really jarring whenever old stuff pops up.

-Soulcalibur dropped most of the 1996 Soul Edge/Blade animations when they went to Calibur in 1998 (although they have several that could be touched up) so there are fewer instances of this juxtaposition.
-Dead or Alive's old animations (Lei Fang) aren't as bad as Tekken's old animations so they blend better.
-Virtua Fighter's new animations aren't as good as Tekken's new animations so they blend better.

Then add onto that the little things, like universal ducking, running, dashing, jumping, getting up, prone, etc animations that all the 3D fighters use (SC is a bit better out of the necessity that weapons makes them be more different) and they all look kind of stale compared to the SFs and GGs of the world. I always knew and noticed it, but seeing the SFxT characters have so much more personality that shines through because of their unique animations for their non attack animations was a stark reminder. I had hoped the Tekken team would have brought more of that over for Tekken 7, but at this point think it might take an all new 3D IP to really knock my socks off visually.

The last major new 3D IP debuted in 1996 so I don't foresee any new 3D IPs in the near future, sadly.

Interesting, thanks for the input. Although there are various things about SFxT that Capcom did which irked me considerably. Kazuya doing Electrics with his left hand, Bryan looking and walking like a gorilla swinging wildly, among others rubbed me off the wrong way. I also don't like how in SFxT the characters talked. Tekken always looked like a choreographed martial arts action scene to me, and characters having conversations during it took it away from it. You never see Jacke Chan, Donnie Yen, or Tony Jaa speak to their opponents while having a fight scene, the choreography spoke for itself. And on that topic I agree with the mentions of how Tekken still has generic crouch, running, getup animations that could really use some personalization. I was also hoping Tekken would adopt VF5FS's system of changing grab animations on heavies. I loved that implementation and makes VF's grabs such a joy to behold.

EDIT: Just saw the above post...

I prepared myself yet it still hurt :(

Rheon

The girls LITERALLY look like Soul Calibur characters, ho-lee shit.

And Xiaoyu still has the weird, sharp bang..

EDIT: Oh they're customs. Better, I guess.

AAK

Xiaoyu's face looks good but Asuka's looks like shit, what gives?

It's a recycled model from T6 so if you didn't like it back in 07, you won't like it now:

19_20070220213819..jpg

Hopefully the improved lighting later on in the game's life cycle will make it look less like shit.

av2k

Ohhh.. as cool as the alternative costumes are.. I wish it was back to the old school casual clothes + fighting clothes deal that they did back then.

Really digging that Dragunov spy costume though.

You are definitely right that bound took away a lot of the character specialty where characters like Jack and Paul became jugglers instead of only power hitters and King also became a Juggler rather than clear cut grappler. However, the new T7 mechanics don't change that all in my opinion. In fact, I feel they further strengthen everyone's juggle capabilities over T6. Being a fan of bound I don't mind this..... but the scenario where you mentioned how in T6 you could wall carry and then bound for crazy damage, I think Tekken 7 might be even more juggle centric:

Although bound is gone, the Heihachi-d/f+1,2 stun from TTT2 is now the hit animation off of bound moves in juggles for T7. This guarantees an unscaled ground hitting move like stomps and such. This is less damage than the complete bound wall combo you got off T6 BUT now you can do a juggle from one end of the screen --> do the airbound when you're 75% the way to the wall to send the opponent as far away --> Dash and do your last wall carry --> Once they wall splat do you T7 bound move --> Get free unscaled ground hitting move (that can also floor break which can then lead to a Tag Assault bound).

As long as the game is balanced around this like T6 was, I'd be OK with it, but the juggle potential is as dangerous as ever. And I'm only comparing T7 to other 1v1 games, it isn't fair to compare it with TTT2 because TTT2 has 2 health bars and the availability of Tag Crash.

Ah I see. You're right about nothing really changing but bound not being available at the wall and wakeup resets being gone it's a bit safer at the wall with Oki in general (forgetting floor breaks). Just take that scaled stomp and tech roll away from the wall no issue.

GrayFoxPL

ibLUZX6plH2ay.gif

I was worried UE4 might not be the great solution for Tekken but at the same time I wanted the graphics to blow my mind.

This? This is unimpressive to say the least.

I really hope this is fault of cheap custom costumes because look - you can count polygons on Leo's hat.

n40.jpg

Embarrassing.

I really hope original costumes will show true quality of the models but I'm worried about resolution. Even on these promo screens the jaggies are visible, so the res isn't too high.. Power of Unreal Engine? Yeah...

In T6 you could turn off motion blur that resulted in resolution boost on PS3 and showed pretty awesome clean IQ. (Same thing boosted antialiasing on 360)

If T7 doesn't have motion blur and image quality will still not be clean (On PS4ONE)...T7 could end up looking...

i0xFMIxDNm9Dz.gif

I won't say it.

Edit: And why does everything shine like cheap plastic? Even Xiaoyu's hair.

GrayFoxPL

Wow. I made it to rank 9 in just 9 months. I need to explore some other parts of NeoGAF maybe^^

Those costumizations look horrible, but I have to admit that the musketeer costume really suits Leo :p

Look at her's beefy legs in the screen above.

Aaaaand you can't unsee. ;)

I really hope original costumes will show true quality of the models but I'm worried about resolution. Even on these promo screens the jaggies are visible, so the res isn't too high.. Power of Unreal Engine? Yeah...

Even if it was 1080p there would still be jaggies if they were applying little to no AA. The shine is just because they haven't added/adjusted proper character lighting. It looked this way in the loctest as well.
That said, SCV has a similar look in its finished state...
PC version y'all. Pray for it to be real since it's the fix to all your problems with bad costumes and graphics. :)

I'm feeling this. Almost looks like the suits in Crysis. And every online Ling will be in magical girl form just to annoy me even further.

Top Bottom