• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

vpance

"Proper light control" is easier said than done. I have wall-to-wall bay windows on one side of my living room, and I'm not going to put in blackout curtains just for TV watching. And if you live with someone, there is a good chance they my want to share that room to read or do some other activity that requires light.

I know a handful of people who have a TV room in their basement where they can create dark room conditions at any time of day, but most are in a similar situation where they have windows and/or need to be considerate of others in the same house.

And the dark is full of terrors anyways :) I like a homey, dim lighting mood when watching TV in the evenings.

I know a handful of people who have a TV room in their basement where they can create dark room conditions at any time of day, but most are in a similar situation where they have windows and/or need to be considerate of others in the same house.

I've got thick, opaque wood blinds in my living room, no basement required. :)

I honestly can't imagine wanting to use my set with direct sunlight in the room. I've always hated that, even when I was a kid and we had a 25" CRT as our main television.

Yukstin

Ok, I am leaning towards the C6 but have a few more questions. What is proper light control? Just making the room darker? It doesn't need additional hardware, right? This tv will be in the living room which is filled with windows. During the day, the room is very bright. Does this mean an OLED is not the right tv for me? Also, Flat vs. Curve...which one? I can't decide. Never had a curve panel before.
Here is the ranking of TVs I made up after some reading(55in 1500-2000$):
1. LG C6
2. LG B6
3. Samsung KS8000
4. Sony X900E

Speaking on the B6/C6, B6 will not have 3D but it's a flat screen with a little bit better input lag (28ms). C6 will have the curve, 3D and around 32 ms input lag. If you aren't going to watch 3D and you will game a lot, the B6 is probably your best bet.

I think the OLEDs will have a better picture overall than the 2 other LEDs. With a bright room, both OLED and LED will be affected.

PrimeRib_

"Proper light control" is easier said than done. I have wall-to-wall bay windows on one side of my living room, and I'm not going to put in blackout curtains just for TV watching. And if you live with someone, there is a good chance they my want to share that room to read or do some other activity that requires light.

Agreed. This is why I'm taking advantage of Best Buy's return policy and upgrading the Sony X900E to the X930E. I lose FALD on the X900E, but gain a set with much brighter brights and support for Dolby Vision. TV area sits 8 feet across from 3 massive bay windows that leak light all over the living room. Not quite open concept, there aren't any other areas the TV could be setup to avoid light leaks from either the bay windows or the side porch, dining room, etc. In total, there are just far too many windows to control and a brighter set will help more in the daytime. This is why I went X900E over OLED and why I decided to upgrade to the 930E. (the better gaming lag in 4K certainly doesn't hurt either).

Kyoufu

Opinions requested. I have an 70" 1080p e-series Visio and am looking to upgrade. I wanted OLED but a 65" b6 is the only thing in my price range. The other option is to go LED and get a 75" P series Visio.

So it becomes a decision of picture quality vs size. The tv is in a big room. Most seats are over 16 foot from the screen. So I'm afraid to go down in size. I already have a hard time reading text on screen in some games (Mafia 3, looking directly at you). Looks like the OLED sizes go from 65 to 77 and 77 is $20k. I figure it's going to be 5+ years or longer before we see those size OLEDs being less than $3k. I don't know.

What would GAF do?

I would get a new room because holy shit. 16 feet.

You'd need a projector.

PrimeRib_

I would get a new room because holy shit. 16 feet.

You'd need a projector.

Dependent on how well you can control ambient light in that room, LED or Projector would be your best bang for the buck. OLED is pricey at 70-inches or higher, compared to other tech.

Z_Y

Dependent on how well you can control ambient light in that room, LED or Projector would be your best bang for the buck. OLED is pricey at 70-inches or higher, compared to other tech.

It's an open floor plan that leads to dining room and kitchen. No way to control light, really. I think a projector would always looked washed out. Probably going to go with the Visio if I pull the trigger soon. Sam's Club has them at under $2800. That seems to be the cheapest around.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Kyoufu

It's an open floor plan that leads to dining room and kitchen. No way to control light, really. I think a projector would always looked washed out. Probably going to go with the Visio if I pull the trigger soon. Sam's Club has them at under $2800. That seems to be the cheapest around.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Can seating arrangements not be modified? I mean, for that much money you could get yourself a really nice OLED or better brand LCD.

16 feet is pretty bonkers. I'm amazed you can play video games at that distance and read anything, even at 75".

PrimeRib_

Can seating arrangements not be modified? I mean, for that much money you could get yourself a really nice OLED or better brand LCD.

16 feet is pretty bonkers. I'm amazed you can play video games at that distance and read anything, even at 75".

I upgraded from the Vizio M60-C3 and it was a fine TV. Vizio has come a long way. Crisp 4K picture with low input lag. Only downsides were the lack of HDR and a low 8-bit color panel.

holygeesus

Banned
Speaking on the B6/C6, B6 will not have 3D but it's a flat screen with a little bit better input lag (28ms). C6 will have the curve, 3D and around 32 ms input lag. If you aren't going to watch 3D and you will game a lot, the B6 is probably your best bet.

The C6 has one less HDMI port too, if such things are a concern.

Rourkey

If you have any interest in 3D get the c6 the 3D is mindblowing, I upgraded from a Samsung ju7100 and got the C6 because I have a 3D blu ray collection which I don't want to lose. I'm so glad because for me the 3D on this set is more impressive than the 4k/HDR, the curve is only slight and not that annoying

Schlomo

I got an offer to get the LG 55 B7 for 2549€. The B6 is still 1900€ here. Since gaming is my main use, I figure it's worth it... What do you think?

Kyoufu

I got an offer to get the LG 55 B7 for 2549€. The B6 is still 1900€ here. Since gaming is my main use, I figure it's worth it... What do you think?

Very good deal for a very good TV for gaming. 21ms input lag on an OLED. You just can't go wrong there.

Gowans

My TV is on the fritz, its a Samsung 1080p 65" TV.

I dont want to go smaller and I mainly use it for Xbox and want a 4K for Scorpio.

Am I worth battling on to wait for a sale/new models?

whats the best 65" tvs for gaming and all the new 4K stuff out? and what am I looking at in £'s?

vpance

I'm surprised how fast I got used to a 65" screen size from a 55 at the same viewing distance. It's not big at all.

I wonder by 2020 if most panel models will be bumped up to 65 and 75. And 55 will take the low tier place.

vpance

You're getting ripped almost as bad as Canadians are on B6s. That's quite a feat.

Part of the reason why I couldn't justify buying an OLED here, since they went back up in price by 40% post holidays. Typical low volume small market fleecing.

Theonik

I'm surprised how fast I got used to a 65" screen size from a 55 at the same viewing distance. It's not big at all.

I wonder by 2020 if most panel models will be bumped up to 65 and 75. And 55 will take the low tier place.
55" is the minimum size already. Many flagship TVs only come in 65" or higher as of last year.

vpance

55" is the minimum size already. Many flagship TVs only come in 65" or higher as of last year.

That's what I mean. As in flagships move to 75 and 65's become the minimum on the mainline models.

LCD makers still sell low end 49-50's. I can see 55 moving down to take that spot.

oRuin

I'm currently moving and I'm looking at getting a new TV. I'm torn between the LG B6 and the Sony ZD9. Either will be 65in. I read that there is a motion issue on the LG oleds, was this ever resolved?

Fox1304

All the pro calibrators turn that setting off. I've never used it personally so I can't say definitively.

No. Just like the complaints about HDR being too dark in the KS8000 thread you have to look at what HDR actually is and how it should be viewed. Viewing environment being the big thing here. Since HDR modes max out the light output from the panel you can't increase it. Now even though both light output and contrast are maxed the average picture level is still only around 100-110 nits as it would be with a calibrated SDR source. This is intended for dark rooms. Maybe a little bias lightning but even that could be too much. Watching HDR with any daylight flooding your room and you see the complaints coming in.

I mean if you fancy it sure turn it on but it's not a needed or correct setting at all.

Dark room HDR calibration will always be a thing, but I think it'll become more easily adjustable for users as peak nits increase and HDR becomes commonplace. Something more, less accurate than DC.. Wouldn't be surprised if we get an HDR slider eventually.

I feel like you've answered your own question really but yes, I think so. I use Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Colour in HDR Game mode and it looks brilliant.

In full darkness, the "dullness" isn't a problem indeed, but when comparing both modes, it seems that one isn't normal.
I've tried switching DC on/off to see if I was loosing some detail in dark areas, or something like that, but it was actually the contrary. The increased brightness allowed for more detail, and a bigger dynamic range. With the perfect blacks from the OLED, scenes really look spectacular with DC(for example on Chef's Table France episode 3, you have some dark alley scenes with big neons, it's incredible), and I haven't been able to find some lost details. Using Black Level High is also (strangely) mandatory, or else blacks are completely crushed.
I'm used to always turn off DC (and it still is on my SDR settings), but in HDR it seems that things change for the better when used.

glaurung

I finally snagged a new TV for my gaming/movies setup: the Sony Bravia KD-65ZD9. It is properly spectacular with 4K games and UHD movies (also UHD streaming, tried out Stranger Things from Netflix and was not disappointed).

The weirdest thing however, is that in Game mode, the TV defaulted the color temperature to "Expert 1" - a temperature setting that is even warmer than the default "Warm". I cannot really fathom why it would to that. After some bafflement I reverted the Game mode color temperature to Neutral and the games looked like they should. Or to be more precise, how I am accustomed to seeing them.

An amazing TV nonetheless.

Mascot

I finally snagged a new TV for my gaming/movies setup: the Sony Bravia KD-65ZD9. It is properly spectacular with 4K games and UHD movies (also UHD streaming, tried out Stranger Things from Netflix and was not disappointed).

The weirdest thing however, is that in Game mode, the TV defaulted the color temperature to "Expert 1" - a temperature setting that is even warmer than the default "Warm". I cannot really fathom why it would to that. After some bafflement I reverted the Game mode color temperature to Neutral and the games looked like they should. Or to be more precise, how I am accustomed to seeing them.

An amazing TV nonetheless.

I'm always amazed (horrified, actually) how warm the image is on calibrated sets. Even the Movie mode on my KS9000 looks like a sepia filter to me. I know I'd get used to it after a while but no, super-warm images are not for me.

whats the best 65" tvs for gaming and all the new 4K stuff out? and what am I looking at in £'s?

The Samsung UE65KS8000 can be had for £1500 from several places (eg RGB Direct) with a free UHD BR player or sound bar right now.

There simply isn't a better deal available for a low-lag 65" set in the UK.

wege12

2018 will be the coming out party of HDMI 2.1. For gamers & sports fans 2018 models were always gonna be the ones to look forward to.

These LG OLED panels have a native refresh rate of 120Hz @ 4K only issue has been older HDMI spec did not have the bandwidth to support it but HDMI 2.1 does along with other enhancements like variable refresh rate.

I posted about this last year and how LG were even showing off high frame rate OLED prototypes at IFA in 2016.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1473185035

HDMI 2.1 is a huge step forward for the industry.

I agree HDMI 2.1 is a huge step forward. But as of right now, I have zero devices that support 2.1. And I doubt I will have one that does before 2019. Plus, the B6 is the best display on the market only beaten by the 2017 OLEDs and I got it for $1,098. I have zero buyer's remorse.

Gowans

IThe Samsung UE65KS8000 can be had for £1500 from several places (eg RGB Direct) with a free UHD BR player or sound bar right now.

There simply isn't a better deal available for a low-lag 65" set in the UK.

I watched some reviews for the LG B6 and I should not have done that, it's almost double.

I'll have a look at the Samsung after work.

That is one hell of a deal tho! hmm..

Theonik

I'm currently moving and I'm looking at getting a new TV. I'm torn between the LG B6 and the Sony ZD9. Either will be 65in. I read that there is a motion issue on the LG oleds, was this ever resolved?
The ZD9 is the better, more future proof set but either will probably be eclipsed next year.

That's what I mean. As in flagships move to 75 and 65's become the minimum on the mainline models.

LCD makers still sell low end 49-50's. I can see 55 moving down to take that spot.
That might happen eventually but as it stands 55" sets still sell quite well so they won't die just yes. The thing that might keep it like this is space considerations with smaller rooms and whatnot and TV cabinets that are sadly still prominent.

Is the Samsung KU6400 a good TV for the price (£400)? I'm looking for something that's 40", has low input lag, and supports HDR (and isn't too expensive!), and this seems like the best option for me.

I'm not too bothered about 4K, as I have nothing that displays at that, but HDR seems to only come on 4K sets.

That being said, I know next to nothing about TVs, so if there's a better option I'd be happy to hear it.

Theonik

What makes the ZD9 more future proof?
Its HDR presentation is still the one to beat with no competitors in sight. Whereas the B6 simply isn't capable of enough brightness.
Think of it this way, no TV announced in 2017 so far can match the ZD9 whereas there are already several replacements on the horizon for the B6.

Lima

Is the Samsung KU6400 a good TV for the price (£400)? I'm looking for something that's 40", has low input lag, and supports HDR (and isn't too expensive!), and this seems like the best option for me.

I'm not too bothered about 4K, as I have nothing that displays at that, but HDR seems to only come on 4K sets.

That being said, I know next to nothing about TVs, so if there's a better option I'd be happy to hear it.

It's a decent entry level TV with very low input lag that doesn't break the bank. Forget HDR however. It barely covers the wider color garmut and doesn't have any backlight dimming to display the higher dynamic range. Peak brightness is limited as well. Basically barely better than the SDR presentation if not even worse because you are locked out of light output controls in HDR and may find the picture too dim as a result.

Look into the KS series if you can afford to spend more. In the U.K. the KS7000 is the equivalent to the popular KS8000 series which has a large thread here on GAF as well.

holygeesus

Banned
Its HDR presentation is still the one to beat with no competitors in sight. Whereas the B6 simply isn't capable of enough brightness.
Think of it this way, no TV announced in 2017 so far can match the ZD9 whereas there are already several replacements on the horizon for the B6.

How much material do you watch in HDR though? It's interesting that Sony have produced an OLED with potentially less HDR brightness than even last years LG range, so even they don't seem that fussed.

It's a decent entry level TV with very low input lag that doesn't break the bank. Forget HDR however. It barely covers the wider color garmut and doesn't have any backlight dimming to display the higher dynamic range. Peak brightness is limited as well. Basically barely better than the SDR presentation if not even worse because you are locked out of light output controls in HDR and may find the picture too dim as a result.

Look into the KS series if you can afford to spend more. In the U.K. the KS7000 is the equivalent to the popular KS8000 series which has a large thread here on GAF as well.

Thanks for the help.
It's for a small bedroom though, and replacing a 32", so I think a 49" might be a bit too big for the space.

What's the 43" Sony XD8088 like, in terms of HDR and input lag?

vpance

In full darkness, the "dullness" isn't a problem indeed, but when comparing both modes, it seems that one isn't normal.
I've tried switching DC on/off to see if I was loosing some detail in dark areas, or something like that, but it was actually the contrary. The increased brightness allowed for more detail, and a bigger dynamic range. With the perfect blacks from the OLED, scenes really look spectacular with DC(for example on Chef's Table France episode 3, you have some dark alley scenes with big neons, it's incredible), and I haven't been able to find some lost details. Using Black Level High is also (strangely) mandatory, or else blacks are completely crushed.
I'm used to always turn off DC (and it still is on my SDR settings), but in HDR it seems that things change for the better when used.

Not sure how it works on LG's, but DC might be adding some sharpness which could account for what you're thinking is more detail.

I think overall though, try not to use it if you can get used to the image. You'll have to stick with dark room for the best results.

Theonik

How much material do you watch in HDR though? It's interesting that Sony have produced an OLED with potentially less HDR brightness than even last years LG range, so even they don't seem that fussed.
Pretty much everything going forward will be released in 4K HDR. It's a very important factor if you are considering a TV to last you a few years. Also Re: A1E, it will become clear when people get their hands on it.

Kyoufu

Is there something inherent with OLED that will prevent it from reaching LED level brightness?

There's no backlight with OLED so LCD will always be brighter thanks to a torch attached to the panel.

So while LCD displays are brighter, they can never reach perfect black and suffer from bloom, haloing etc.

BumRush

There's no backlight with OLED so LCD will always be brighter thanks to a torch attached to the panel.

So while LCD displays are brighter, they can never reach perfect black and suffer from bloom, haloing etc.

Right, sorry, I phrased the question poorly. Is there a nit limit with current OLED tech, and have we come close to it? Or can engineers develop around it (without adding a backlight)?

vpance

Is there something inherent with OLED that will prevent it from reaching LED level brightness?

Mainly power consumption regulations, lifespan of the panel, and image retention concerns I think? OLED apparently needs a lot more power than an LCD to drive a bright/white image.

Right, sorry, I phrased the question poorly. Is there a nit limit with current OLED tech, and have we come close to it? Or can engineers develop around it (without adding a backlight)?

Like with any tech there will be increases, but inherent limitations mean it's never going to be as bright as LCD with LED backlighting. Adding a backlight would raise the black levels and defeat the purpose of OLED.

I wonder how many people have perfect environments at home for OLED but end up buying LCD/LED because of looking at potential sets on a showroom floor. Was at Costco the other day and nothing is going to stand out without backlighting on under all those flourescent lights.

Kyoufu

Like with any tech there will be increases, but inherent limitations mean it's never going to be as bright as LCD with LED backlighting. Adding a backlight would raise the black levels and defeat the purpose of OLED.

I wonder how many people have perfect environments at home for OLED but end up buying LCD/LED because of looking at potential sets on a showroom floor. Was at Costco the other day and nothing is going to stand out without backlighting on under all those flourescent lights.

Before I bought the E6, I went to check it out at the local store and next to it was the Samsung KS8000 and the brighter HDR demo on that looked more impressive.

The store guy tried to sell me the KS8000 instead of the E6, too.

GrayFoxBH

More brightness on an oled display means more energy consumption, and that also means greatly reduced lifespan of displays.

Before I bought the E6, I went to check it out at the local store and next to it was the Samsung KS8000 and the brighter HDR demo on that looked more impressive.

The store guy tried to sell me the KS8000 instead of the E6, too.

Your eyes are in no shape whatsoever for critical viewing in that kind of environment.

I won't even leave my blinds open at night because of streetlights, moonlight, etc.

Lady Gaia

I agree HDMI 2.1 is a huge step forward. But as of right now, I have zero devices that support 2.1. And I doubt I will have one that does before 2019.

I wouldn't be shocked if a few flagship displays shipped next year with HDMI 2.1, but I agree it's unlikely to become the new standard overnight. It's likely to be expensive and has limited utility outside 8K+ applications, which is where we're likely to see it first. Of course eventually costs will come down and it'll become the new standard, but on day one the port and cables will be a specialty high end item.

Thankfully we should see adoption of VRR over HDMI 2.0a, which is where the near term gaming goodness will come from. Which manufacturer will ship a firmware upgrade to enable it first? Will Microsoft be enticing companies with an on-stage mention paired with the Scorpio reveal? Will Sony provide an end-to-end solution involving their own displays and support in existing console hardware like they did with HDR? Let the intrigue begin.

vpance

Your eyes are in no shape whatsoever for critical viewing in that kind of environment.

I won't even leave my blinds open at night because of streetlights, moonlight, etc.

Nah you can kinda tell, at least at the BBs I went to. I could see that the KS8000 was bright but it definitely looked washed out, because of the huge columns of light. OLED still looked good, especially the ones running the NASA demos.

Top Bottom