• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Schlomo

Yeah colors outside of HDR are actually much improved... before in PC input prior to the patch, the set was pushing a ton of cyan, due to wrong gamut tracking. No surprise that Mario looks better now!

I hope it just isn't my set, but HDR is completely messed up in PC input for me. Everything is dimmed and colors seem to have been layered in black overwash, completely dulling everything.

Is there a reason to use PC input for HDR? Outside of convenience, I mean. Switching the input icon every time is a little annoying of course.

That said, I just played Wipeout in HDR and the TV lost the picture signal twice in about one hour, which didn't happen once in 40 hours of Horizon on the old firmware. So I would second what you said: don't update yet if you use the TV for HDR gaming.

blakdeth

Short of a professional calibration, what's the go-to disc or software for basic adjustments? I used to use Avia and DVE back in the day. Is there something new that takes into account HDR and whatnot?

Ok guys....i need some help/advice with this.

65 inch B6 OLED - 2650 euros
55 inch C7 OLED - 1999-2150 euros

If i go for the C7 i will be able to afford it pretty soon from now. However for the B6 i need to wait until i have saved up 1113 euros. Of course that is all up to me.....but....

The 65 inch B6 is a damn nice size, but in terms of picture quality, input lag, contrast and all that it's not as good as the C7 which makes sense because one is a 2016 TV and the other is 2017. How big/noticeable are these differences at all though? And is that price difference worth it?

It really depends how far from TV you are planning to sit. My couch is about 1.5 meters away from TV so 55 inch is more than enough for me. But if your setup is different bigger TV is very important for 4K. B6 would be better choice in that case.

GreekWolf

The VT50 is not considered a bright plasma at all so let's get that out of the way first.

Now using a 10% window in SDR the 65A1 is able to get as high as 300 cd/m2 which is almost 3x as much as the 65VT50 which hovered around 110.

Thanks for the info, Lima. It's been half a decade, but I'm almost positive that it was CNET's review which claimed the VT50 was brighter than the average plasma. Of course, they might have been drawing the comparison between Panasonic's other plasma models for that year.

If i go for the C7 i will be able to afford it pretty soon from now. However for the B6 i need to wait until i have saved up 1113 euros. Of course that is all up to me.....but....

The 65 inch B6 is a damn nice size, but in terms of picture quality, input lag, contrast and all that it's not as good as the C7 which makes sense because one is a 2016 TV and the other is 2017. How big/noticeable are these differences at all though? And is that price difference worth it?

It really depends how far from TV you are planning to sit. My couch is about 1.5 meters away from TV so 55 inch is more than enough for me. But if your setup is different bigger TV is very important for 4K. B6 would be better choice in that case.

Have to agree. with the assessment here.

You can browse the questions answered in the C7 review on rtings, but they almost flat out recommend the B6 over C7 except for in a few unique scenarios (e.g. input lag REALLY matters to you).

I'd say go B6 and go bigger. The point made about 4K is spot on; you'll appreciate the resolution even more at 65"

Kambing

Is there a reason to use PC input for HDR? Outside of convenience, I mean. Switching the input icon every time is a little annoying of course.

That said, I just played Wipeout in HDR and the TV lost the picture signal twice in about one hour, which didn't happen once in 40 hours of Horizon on the old firmware. So I would second what you said: don't update yet if you use the TV for HDR gaming.

Yes... ideally you would use PC input for HDR, and calibrate in "Cinema (user)", get the white balance correct. This would allow you to achieve low input lag, disable real cinema and calibrate for white balance and temperature. Right now Cinema mode outside of PC input has a lot of lag... really hope LG fixes this.

I've never seen a calibrated HDR picture before yesterday and it's probably because the sets are already pretty good out of the box for SDR, but it benefited it the most.

Lima

Thanks for the info, Lima. It's been half a decade, but I'm almost positive that it was CNET's review which claimed the VT50 was brighter than the average plasma. Of course, they might have been drawing the comparison between Panasonic's other plasma models for that year.

Probably. Samsung was still in the Plasma game at that time and they had some actual bright displays. Panasonic was always on the lower end.

Any OLED blows it out of the water though.

Have to agree. with the assessment here.

You can browse the questions answered in the C7 review on rtings, but they almost flat out recommend the B6 over C7 except for in a few unique scenarios (e.g. input lag REALLY matters to you).

I'd say go B6 and go bigger. The point made about 4K is spot on; you'll appreciate the resolution even more at 65"

Thanks guys.

I checked my living room, and if i wanted i can sit 16 feet from my TV, so that makes that 65 inch B6 quite attractive then, because if i think i sit too close i can always move back, i have a nice size living room. I did see a video of HDTVTest and they explain a few differences from 6 to 7, but to me it sounds like they are important for mostly movies and the biggest use will be for gaming for me. I sat ahout 9 feet away from my previous 55 inch OLED. This video:

https://youtu.be/F9OvPfPd8s0

As for picture quality differences between the 55inch B6 and 65inch B6, it's probably pretty similar. right?

As for input lag, it's about 28ms on the B6 and 21ms on the C7 i believe. I doubt i will even really notice it. I was fine with 31ms on my EC9300, so yeah, should be good. The only thing with the 65 inch is that i have to save up about 1000 euros extra for it, gonna take time. In that time the prices could go up drastically or down....but yeah, can't do much about that.

But if by chance it's not going to be the 65 inch, is it worth spending 400 euros extra for the 55 inch C7 or save that money for Scorpio for example and get the B6 55 inch for about 1600 euros?

Thanks guys.

I checked my living room, and if i wanted i can sit 16 feet from my TV, so that makes that 65 inch B6 quite attractive then, because if i think i sit too close i can always move back, i have a nice size living room. I did see a video of HDTVTest and they explain a few differences from 6 to 7, but to me it sounds like they are important for mostly movies and the biggest use will be for gaming for me. I sat ahout 9 feet away from my previous 55 inch OLED. This video:

As for picture quality differences between the 55inch B6 and 65inch B6, it's probably pretty similar. right?

As for input lag, it's about 28ms on the B6 and 21ms on the C7 i believe. I doubt i will even really notice it. I was fine with 31ms on my EC9300, so yeah, should be good. The only thing with the 65 inch is that i have to save up about 1000 euros extra for it, gonna take time. In that time the prices could go up drastically or down....but yeah, can't do much about that.

C7 can get a bit brighter and has better anti-glare surface if that matters to you. Personally think it's worth it for a smaller TV where price difference is not as drastic, but not for a larger one.

Zhao_Yun

Just out of curiosity: where did you find the C7 at that price?

C7 can get a bit brighter and has better anti-glare surface if that matters to you. Personally think it's worth it for a smaller TV where price difference is not as drastic, but not for a larger one.

Yeah exactly. If it's not going to be the 65 inch, i'm most definitely gonna go for the C7 because of the improvements and lower input lag and well the fact that i'd have a 2017 TV, a recent one. For me it's a lot of money, a lot and i hope i'm gonna be lucky that when the time comes that i can afford it...that the price hasn't increased.

Just out of curiosity: where did you find the C7 at that price?

Here man:

https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/50771369#50771369

Dutch forum, and this is a discussion about OLED prices. Basically they say you should call these shops, mention to them that people on that forum got a certain TV from them for a nice price and what the lowest price at the moment is. So while that 65 inch B6 may still be about 3000 euros at most stores, these stores have a nice price for you if you just call them.

Young Tick

Neo Member
Yo. What up, peeps. I was searching for some televisions for the Scorpio and I came across a LG 43UJ635V.

What bothers me that I don't know what Active HDR is.

Please, help me.

Thanks guys.

But if by chance it's not going to be the 65 inch, is it worth spending 400 euros extra for the 55 inch C7 or save that money for Scorpio for example and get the B6 55 inch for about 1600 euros?

Prices on B6s aren't likely to go up. Down, if anything, since it's last year's model. I can only speak for US, but a cursory search shows most retailers still have them in stock, so I'm guessing we will see deals sooner or later.

Newegg had the 65B6 for $2500, which translates to ~2200 euros. I'm sure deals like that will come around again, even in Europe, as companies slowly get rid of last year's stuff. If you really want the bigger set, my advice would be to be patient....

Schlomo

Yes... ideally you would use PC input for HDR, and calibrate in "Cinema (user)", get the white balance correct. This would allow you to achieve low input lag, disable real cinema and calibrate for white balance and temperature. Right now Cinema mode outside of PC input has a lot of lag... really hope LG fixes this.

I've never seen a calibrated HDR picture before yesterday and it's probably because the sets are already pretty good out of the box for SDR, but it benefited it the most.

That doesn't work though, as soon as the display switches to HDR, you get tons of lag even in PC mode. Only HDR Game mode has low input lag.

Prices on B6s aren't likely to go up. Down, if anything, since it's last year's model. I can only speak for US, but a cursory search shows most retailers still have them in stock, so I'm guessing we will see deals sooner or later.

Newegg had the 65B6 for $2500, which translates to ~2200 euros. I'm sure deals like that will come around again, even in Europe, as companies slowly get rid of last year's stuff. If you really want the bigger set, my advice would be to be patient....

That's good to know man. Patient is the only thing i can be at this point because i don't even have the money for it yet. But man, going from 55 inch to 65 sure is a nice upgrade on top of going from Full HD with no HDR to 4K/HDR.

That's good to know man. Patient is the only thing i can be at this point because i don't even have the money for it yet. But man, going from 55 inch to 65 sure is a nice upgrade on top of going from Full HD with no HDR to 4K/HDR.

I'm getting a 65C7 delivered tonight and currently have a 55" panasonic plasma it's replacing. Like yourself, I'm pumped to see the difference. I've had a GTX 1080 since last year so i've been playing most games at a minimum of 1440p, if not almost to 4K, and have only seen any of it in 1080p, so I'm excited to see the resolution bump.

I'm getting a 65C7 delivered tonight and currently have a 55" panasonic plasma it's replacing. Like yourself, I'm pumped to see the difference. I've had a GTX 1080 since last year so i've been playing most games at a minimum of 1440p, if not almost to 4K, and have only seen any of it in 1080p, so I'm excited to see the resolution bump.

Oh you're most definitely gonna love it! :)

Chopini

Neo Member
I decided to get 65B6 for nice price despite higher lag and no isf mode in game mode. But sadly I could not find one with pixel perfect after went through around 5 units. I sit fairly close, under 2m so this is very important.

I have no choice but to wait for B7 or C7 instead and hope there is less dead pixel this time. Just waiting B7 price to drop around B6 level. For B7 price in where I live.
55" is around $1950
65" is around $3900

Strangely the price is doubled on the 65" one and I need 65" one.

Stiler

Thanks guys.

16 foot? Why are you sitting so far away? You want to sit closer to 4k screens compared to 1080p, not further away.

For a 4k 65" tv about 5 1/2 - 8 ft is recommend distance for the screen size.

16 foot? Why are you sitting so far away? You want to sit closer to 4k screens compared to 1080p, not further away.

For a 4k 65" tv about 5 1/2 - 8 ft is recommend distance for the screen size.

Hahaha you misunderstood me then or i explained it wrong. :)

I meant that the maximum distance i can sit from my tv, so from one wall to the other is 16 ft, no way am i going to sit that far away from it though. So 8ft would be good for a 65 inch? If i were to do that with my previous 1080p OLED in 720p games it would be ugly as hell. But i can imagine it being way different for 4K. And for a 55 inch something like 7ft?

Oooh by the way, I was talking to someone today about my decision for either the 65 inch B6 or 55 inch C7 and he says that the upscaling on the C7 is significantly better than the B6 too. Is this something I will really notice for gaming?

RetroMG

So I have more money for my Friday TV purchase than I thought! \o/

I'm debating now between the Sony X850D and the Vizio P-Series. (Both 55") The P-Series has better scores on rtings.com, but I'm not a big fan of the built-in chromecast thing. If I'm going to use the TV apps at all, I'd rather have dedicated apps on the TV itself. But then again, I've been using my Xbox and PS4 for apps for next to forever ANYWAY, so do I even need to be thinking about this?

Meanwhile, the new TCL still looks good, but I'm being impatient.

I don't know, what do you think, GAF?

ascii42

Oooh by the way, I was talking to someone today about my decision for either the 65 inch B6 or 55 inch C7 and he says that the upscaling on the C7 is significantly better than the B6 too. Is this something I will really notice for gaming?
Probably, if you aren't using a console that upscales to 4K (currently the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S)

AGITΩ

Just got in my Sony 65" A1E today. Seeing it at my store was one thing, but tweaking the setting at home and putting it through its paces at home is a another story. The Upscaler is great, the motion in scenes is very seemless, black levels are great. Lets see how the next few days further shape me options on it.

Kambing

That doesn't work though, as soon as the display switches to HDR, you get tons of lag even in PC mode. Only HDR Game mode has low input lag.

True that cinema mode has more lag that game in HDR... but in PC input the lag in cinema mode is much less than when outside PC input, at least in my case...

Stiler

Hahaha you misunderstood me then or i explained it wrong. :)

I meant that the maximum distance i can sit from my tv, so from one wall to the other is 16 ft, no way am i going to sit that far away from it though. So 8ft would be good for a 65 inch? If i were to do that with my previous 1080p OLED in 720p games it would be ugly as hell. But i can imagine it being way different for 4K. And for a 55 inch something like 7ft?

For 55", 4.6-6.9 foot.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-WFcuMZirs4I/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

As far as the B6 vs C7, I haven't had experience with the C7, but the b6 is regarded as having excellent 4k upscaling for lower res content, so not sure if it would be "significantly" better than the b6 in that regard.

Here's the Rtings reviews for both, which you can compare the upscaling scores on,
B6:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6

C7:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7

Both tv's they gave 8.0's for 480/720p content, 9.0 for 1080p and 10 for 4k content.

A note though, in the C7 they mention this:
480p: "Some halo artifacts can be seen along lines but details are preserved"
720p: "Some moire can be seen in the image from the camera focus."

in the B6 review they don't mention either of those, so I don't think the c7 is going to be significantly better in regards to upscaling.

AGITΩ;239555949 said:
Just got in my Sony 65" A1E today. Seeing it at my store was one thing, but tweaking the setting at home and putting it through its paces at home is a another story. The Upscaler is great, the motion in scenes is very seemless, black levels are great. Lets see how the next few days further shape me options on it.

Awesome. I can imagine. It looked jaw-dropping at the Best Buy I went to again recently in order to take a look at it in person.

gsrjedi

So I have more money for my Friday TV purchase than I thought! o/

I'm debating now between the Sony X850D and the Vizio P-Series. (Both 55") The P-Series has better scores on rtings.com, but I'm not a big fan of the built-in chromecast thing. If I'm going to use the TV apps at all, I'd rather have dedicated apps on the TV itself. But then again, I've been using my Xbox and PS4 for apps for next to forever ANYWAY, so do I even need to be thinking about this?

Vizio. The 55 is IPS so the blacks aren't as good, but the full-array helps negate that some. It gets a little brighter for HDR, and has support for Dolby Vision. They are supposed to be putting out an update later this year that gives on screen access to many apps, so you don't have to Chromecast if you don't want to.

TCL looks good too, my issue is it is a 60hz panel

RetroMG

Vizio. The 55 is IPS so the blacks aren't as good, but the full-array helps negate that some. It gets a little brighter for HDR, and has support for Dolby Vision. They are supposed to be putting out an update later this year that gives on screen access to many apps, so you don't have to Chromecast if you don't want to.

TCL looks good too, my issue is it is a 60hz panel

Oh, sweet! Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll go for the Vizio - assuming I can find it. (Supposedly my local Costco has it, but I need to go confirm.)

Probably, if you aren't using a console that upscales to 4K (currently the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S)

For 55", 4.6-6.9 foot.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-WFcuMZirs4I/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

As far as the B6 vs C7, I haven't had experience with the C7, but the b6 is regarded as having excellent 4k upscaling for lower res content, so not sure if it would be "significantly" better than the b6 in that regard.

Here's the Rtings reviews for both, which you can compare the upscaling scores on,
B6:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6

C7:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7

Both tv's they gave 8.0's for 480/720p content, 9.0 for 1080p and 10 for 4k content.

A note though, in the C7 they mention this:
480p: "Some halo artifacts can be seen along lines but details are preserved"
720p: "Some moire can be seen in the image from the camera focus."

in the B6 review they don't mention either of those, so I don't think the c7 is going to be significantly better in regards to upscaling.

Good to know. So if i were to buy it right now when i only still have my Xbox One (and thus 720p,900p,1080p games) and Wii U i might be seeing that kind of stuff. But when Scorpio releases all of those things shouldn't matter anymore. Basically both are a fantastic choice, i just need to make a decision. Ah yes and the C7 has 21ms and the B6 28.

Gitaroo

So I have more money for my Friday TV purchase than I thought! \o/

Have the x850D, don't get it. Infact don't get the x850D, x930D nor the x940D from last year. All shit tier tv for gaming with insanely high input lag.

Theonik

Nope. Input lag is high on 1080p, and hdr tonemapping is messed. Great motion handling and upscaling, but besides that, LG 2017 OLEDs are a better option.
People keep saying that but I still don't see why you wouldn't just use a PS4 Pro or Xbone S on one of those TVs that will upscale games to 4K. The upscaler on the Sony X1E chip is easily the best on any TV set out there too so 10ms is a decent sacrifice for that.

Tonemapping was also greatly improved on the Android N upgrade the other day. Not that there was ever anything really wrong with it. There is really no 'best' way of doing tonemapping at the moment. You basically have two choices. Clip highlight detail or lower the brightness of the entire scene.

blakdeth

Short of a professional calibration, what's the go-to disc or software for basic adjustments? I used to use Avia and DVE back in the day. Is there something new that takes into account HDR and whatnot?

I was hoping to get a recommendation on this. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle? Bumping so more folks can see it.

I was hoping to get a recommendation on this. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle? Bumping so more folks can see it.

I would say AVS709 and Disney WOW. Just for basic settings using both of those will get you good results. I use them for my base settings and I have meters and software to calibrate with as well.

blakdeth

I would say AVS709 and Disney WOW. Just for basic settings using both of those will get you good results. I use them for my base settings and I have meters and software to calibrate with as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the Disney WOW disc really $79?

Stiler

So is there any 4K tvs worth buying (48''-50'') for $500 and under? I only care about input lag to be honest, HDR doesn't matter to me.

Looking at this one because it's dirt cheap: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-with-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4882800.p?skuId=4882800

For a budget 4k the TCL 55" is going to be the best bang-for-the-buck 4k tv you'll find around that price range.

It's not yet released (supposedly coming mid june), 599 and you get 4k/dolby vision on a FALD screen.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

III-V

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the Disney WOW disc really $79?

Yes, it is no longer produced, and prices went thru the roof. The free AVS709 disc is excellent and works just as well.

It can be burned onto a DVD and played at 1080p quality.

GrayFoxBH

People keep saying that but I still don't see why you wouldn't just use a PS4 Pro or Xbone S on one of those TVs that will upscale games to 4K. The upscaler on the Sony X1E chip is easily the best on any TV set out there too so 10ms is a decent sacrifice for that.

Tonemapping was also greatly improved on the Android N upgrade the other day. Not that there was ever anything really wrong with it. There is really no 'best' way of doing tonemapping at the moment. You basically have two choices. Clip highlight detail or lower the brightness of the entire scene.
I agree with you on everything, except for the "10ms sacrifice". I'm used to 23ms, so 47.4 ms is not just +10ms, more like double the input lag, and almost unplayable for me (I'm very sensitive to input lag). Sony A1E is very expensive and not suited for gaming (for me), so it's a no brainer choosing LG (again, for me). You pay much more for better motion handling and excellent upscaling, not worh it, imo.

k1t4j

Ok guys maybe someone here has the wisdom to help me out.

I have a ks8000 and a ps4 pro, lately I noticed that there1s this weird localised interference with the image, like I can't explain but the colours go crazy in certain parts of the screen....

It's hard to picture but for example I was playing FFXIV and for a split second my character, and only my character got these weird fucked up colours, 30 minutes later I was doing a dungeon and only the colours of the wall got fucked up...

I'm playing Marvel Heroes and everything is great until my the main character gets this weird discolouration.... seriously this is driving me crazy, I even tried grabbing a video with the share button, but in it everything is fine :(

I think I'm going crazy....

Is there a way to find out what the width of a 55 inch and 65 inch screen is? That way I can check for myself how much bigger 65 exactly is and how much of an upgrade it will be for me. Or maybe a comparison pic?

Alebrije

Gold Member
So is there any 4K tvs worth buying (48''-50'') for $500 and under? I only care about input lag to be honest, HDR doesn't matter to me.

Looking at this one because it's dirt cheap: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-with-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4882800.p?skuId=4882800

Do not know if still available in the U.S. but Samsung 6500 curved 55 could be an option, got mi e this week and has great stats for imput lag, by example 1080p 60hz : 19.8 ms. compared to KS8000 :20.9 ms

4k60Hz : 19.7 ms.
4k60Hz 4:4:4. : 37.8 ms

Led UN55MU6500FXZ is the product code in Mexico

Got my C6 today and soon as I turned on Fallout 4 it was like amazing. I'm a have to go thru my library to see how great some games look. It's so clear, that I can take my reading glasses off.

Yep.

I agree with you on everything, except for the "10ms sacrifice". I'm used to 23ms, so 47.4 ms is not just +10ms, more like double the input lag, and almost unplayable for me (I'm very sensitive to input lag). Sony A1E is very expensive and not suited for gaming (for me), so it's a no brainer choosing LG (again, for me). You pay much more for better motion handling and excellent upscaling, not worh it, imo.

Don't write off the likely possibility that input lag in all modes (even the ones where it's already pretty good) will be improved in a firmware update. I think it's bound to happen. Though of course the LG can be quite a bit cheaper.

Is there a way to find out what the width of a 55 inch and 65 inch screen is? That way I can check for myself how much bigger 65 exactly is and how much of an upgrade it will be for me. Or maybe a comparison pic?

If you go on the official company sites for both sizes I think they usually give the full dimensions of the models in each size.

I did find this for the screens themselves:
http://www.comparetvsizes.com/?tv1=55&a1=169&tv2=65&a2=169

Obviously if there are speakers on the sides of a given model that will add even more.

Edit: The below has even more detail.

I know there's a lot of people who love Plasma TVs. I used to love them too, but with time there was one thing that annoyed me and really made me start looking at other TVs (ahem, LEDs)... which is low brightness. I think only one or two models I saw were bright enough, all the others had really poor brightness... specially for daytime viewing. Is that just me? I agree that Plasmas have a lot of advantages over LEDs but I can't get over their low brightness... I wonder how they'd do in HDR...

J-Rzez

is the Sony A1E the best TV ever made?

For this year it seems a toss up between it and the Panny OLED, and get which you prefer as they out do each other in different parts. The Z9 is good if you like obscenely bright picture, or do most of your viewing during peak sunlight hours and you have a ton of ambient light.

If you live in NA, then yes, because the Panny isn't available here. Don't dismiss the LG OLEDs though, you'll get 95% of the Sony for cheaper.

AGITΩ;239555949 said:

Enjoy it. I have a A1E as well. Considering how it fits my room, viewing times and materials, and being a plasma lover, its the best TV to date. Seems like many of the last remaining Kuro owners are making the jump and raving about it.

Top Bottom