• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

So, looking to upgrade after almost 10 years with my current TV (it's still 720p!).

I've budgeted up to $1000, and I'd like something that is a max of 55 inches, but less is fine. What's the best I can get in that range? I'd like it to have 4K + HDR.

Would it be better to wait a little longer? My TV still works, I'm just itching to spend some money and upgrade. :)

That's pretty close to OLED budget. I constantly see 2016 OLEDs on sale around $1100-$1200. I would just go for that. I would not get KS8000 unless you see it closer to $700 - $800 on sale.

EDIT: And if you just want TV for general use on paper TCL 55P607 looks great for the price, but it's not really available yet. There's not even any decent reviews I can find...

GrayFoxBH

OLED is great and all but aside from being pricier than an LCD it's still pretty bad as a TV Monitor, or did they get rid of burn ins yet? I guess you could use one if you made the taskbar not always visible and used internet browsers in fullscreen mode all the time but even then there's the small 5 pixel line of the taskbar that is always shown at the bottom.

I guess my next TV(first UHD) will be yet again an LCD as I will hook my PC up on it as usual... -Unless there is some kind of technology that prevents screen burn in by then but that might have to come soon, very soon.
2017 LG Oleds are great for pc gaming/tv monitor. You can enable 120hz paired with 1080p resolution, allowing 120fps. ABL is non existent belo 150cd/m³ on sdr content.

LeleSocho

Banned
No HDR support of any kind on the Toshiba OLED?
?????
Unless they want to price the thing substantially under 2000€ i don't see how they think they are going to sell.

TehOh

That's pretty close to OLED budget. I constantly see 2016 OLEDs on sale around $1100-$1200. I would just go for that. I would not get KS8000 unless you see it closer to $700 - $800 on sale.

Any particular OLED recs? I wouldn't mind one of those.

I have seen a lot of recommendations for the KS8000. How are refurb models? Groupon has the 55 inch for $749 right now, but it's a refurbished one.

wtd2009

I have seen a lot of recommendations for the KS8000. How are refurb models? Groupon has the 55 inch for $749 right now, but it's a refurbished one.
Based on the reviews it looks like it's hit or miss, and the miss is a pretty big miss (cracked screens)

I was disappointed with KS8000. It just didn't seem like a great upgrade from Hisense that I got about a year ago... It a good TV, but not for $1000... $750 is more reasonable and people do seem to like it. I can say that it definitely has better sound system than 2017 LG OLEDs.

As for OLEDs I've only seen LG B6 for around $1100. Slickdeals is actually a good place to find them. I bought B7 from local retailer for $1600 and they currently have B6 for around $1100, but I can't really recommend them because some people are not as lucky as me and the reviews of this retailer online are less than favorable :)

TehOh

I was disappointed with KS8000. It just didn't seem like a great upgrade from Hisense that I got about a year ago... It a good TV, but not for $1000... $750 is more reasonable and people do seem to like it. I can say that it definitely has better sound system than 2017 LG OLEDs.

As for OLEDss I've only seen LG B6 for around $1100. Slickdeals is actually a good place to find them. I bought B7 from local retailer for $1600 and they currently have B6 for around $1100, but I can't really recommend them because some people are not as lucky as me and the reviews of this retailer online are less than favorable :)

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

Jigolo

LG's new FauxK TV

5K3ndy1.png

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300

Give me this on next year's OLEDs pls

TheBoss1

So, looking to upgrade after almost 10 years with my current TV (it's still 720p!).

I've budgeted up to $1000, and I'd like something that is a max of 55 inches, but less is fine. What's the best I can get in that range? I'd like it to have 4K + HDR.

Would it be better to wait a little longer? My TV still works, I'm just itching to spend some money and upgrade. :)

For about ~$100 more than your budget, you can get the Sony 49" X900E. Reviewers are high on it because it provides great value for a very good TV.

Madness

I've heard good things about some of these Sony ones too. Might go for that. Thanks!

Eh, get something that meets your requirements and what you plan to do with the set. Set reasonable expectations as well. There is no perfect television. The X900E is a solid set, and is the one to beat at 49" this year. Android 7.0 Nougat is very user unfriendly OS, but the app selection and utility cannot be touched. You can disable many apps, stop thr spying, and they just got a shit ton more apps. I still say WebOS is the best overall OS. I absolutely hate tizen.

The KS8000 was another solid set. Hard to find nowadays, still beats most 2017 sets including high end sets like the Samsung Q7F etc. Solid HDR, blacks and like 21 ms input lag. Are you looking for HDR and 4K movie viewing, gaming etc.?

Curufinwe

For about ~$100 more than your budget, you can get the Sony 49" X900E. Reviewers are high on it because it provides great value for a very good TV.

I got one last week to replace my 2009 Samsung 40 inch . New TVs are complicated!

My entertainment center was smaller than I thought so I had to put the PS4 Pro behind the TV, but I can still reach it easily.

RetroMG

Question: Would you rather have a larger screen with poorer quality, or a smaller screen with higher quality?

For example, a Sony X700D in 55" vs a Sony X850D in 49"?

(That might not be a great example, but hopefully it conveys the question.)

Stiler

If you want a 55" 4k HDR tv right now, there was a recent release that really shook up things for budget 4k tv's,

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-model-55p607-4k-hdr-roku-tv-with-dolby-vision-first-look/

It's a FALD tv, which is superior to edge lit lcd's (like the KS8000) when it comes to blacks and uniformity.

Amazon link for tv:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$599 for a 55" 4k hdr FALD tv, it shot to the #1 best seller overnight after that AVS article came out.

In terms of tv panels, OLED>FALD>Edge lit LCD.

With Edge lit lcd's (like the KS8000, which I owned) you have light that shines from the edge of the screen in order to light the picture, this creates "flashlighting" and pillar lighting, which is annoying as heck (which is why I returned my ks8000 after a couple of weeks).

These cnet articles explain it better:
https://www.cnet.com/news/led-local-dimming-explained/
https://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-backlights-explained/

TehOh

Eh, get something that meets your requirements and what you plan to do with the set. Set reasonable expectations as well. There is no perfect television. The X900E is a solid set, and is the one to beat at 49" this year. Android 7.0 Nougat is very user unfriendly OS, but the app selection and utility cannot be touched. You can disable many apps, stop thr spying, and they just got a shit ton more apps. I still say WebOS is the best overall OS. I absolutely hate tizen.

The KS8000 was another solid set. Hard to find nowadays, still beats most 2017 sets including high end sets like the Samsung Q7F etc. Solid HDR, blacks and like 21 ms input lag. Are you looking for HDR and 4K movie viewing, gaming etc.?

I would be using it mostly for games, but want to watch movies too (really want to see Planet Earth 2 in her/4k). Gaming is top priority, though.

If you want a 55" 4k HDR tv right now, there was a recent release that really shook up things for budget 4k tv's,

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-model-55p607-4k-hdr-roku-tv-with-dolby-vision-first-look/

It's a FALD tv, which is superior to edge lit lcd's (like the KS8000) when it comes to blacks and uniformity.

Amazon link for tv:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$599 for a 55" 4k hdr FALD tv, it shot to the #1 best seller overnight after that AVS article came out.

In terms of tv panels, OLED>FALD>Edge lit LCD.

With Edge lit lcd's (like the KS8000, which I owned) you have light that shines from the edge of the screen in order to light the picture, this creates "flashlighting" and pillar lighting, which is annoying as heck (which is why I returned my ks8000 after a couple of weeks).

These cnet articles explain it better:
https://www.cnet.com/news/led-local-dimming-explained/
https://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-backlights-explained/

Interesting! Need to do some reading.

Stiler

I would be using it mostly for games, but want to watch movies too (really want to see Planet Earth 2 in her/4k). Gaming is top priority, though.

Interesting! Need to do some reading.

There's more info in the forum thread for the tv as well if you want to read more:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ries-4k-roku-tvs-hdr-dolby-vision-launch.html

The most recent impression:

So Lego Batman, totally dark room, Vudu UHD with Dolby Vision.

OK, I'm calling it a "perfect" presentation. Not sure how you'd tell it apart from an OLED as long as you are not way off axis.

I've seen far more expensive LCDs perform worse than this in terms of being "seamless." FALD or edgelit. With this TV, tonight, zero hint of backlight, it's ridiculous.

Nobody could possibly complain about the picture quality you get for the money. It is in fact mind blowing. Vudu UHD with Dolby Vision looks better than any HD Blu-ray, by the way. Holy cow.

Lima

This TV is so good and cheap I might just buy it and have it shipped to Europe. TCL Europe is terrible, they're selling different models with far worse specifications at much higher prices.

Might wanna check if they support 50Hz though and if the power supply is universal. I know some Vizio TV's don't work in Europe because of the power (even with a converter) and they don't accept 50Hz over HDMI.

blakdeth

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the Sony XBR49X900E, but I'm worried that the lack of Dolby Vision will hobble it in the future. I plan to use this display for PS4 Pro and PC gaming. Am I going to regret it if I don't get a DV capable display? Your thoughts are most appreciated.

MacAttack

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the Sony XBR49X900E, but I'm worried that the lack of Dolby Vision will hobble it in the future. I plan to use this display for PS4 Pro and PC gaming. Am I going to regret it if I don't get a DV capable display? Your thoughts are most appreciated.
I am also seriously considering the Sony X900e (55inch) but the TCL P-series has me second guessing at half the price. I know there aren't many reviews on the TCL yet but are these tv's really comparable?

Do we know about the TCL P-series input lag? 55 inches for 600 with HDR and Dolby Vision..I thought I was going to save up for the SonyX900E as well but that is such a good price.

Stiler

I really want to get the tcl. Anyone know when it will be widely available?

Supposed to start shipping June 5th, so probably going to start seeing them a couple weeks after that in stores hopefully.

Do we know about the TCL P-series input lag? 55 inches for 600 with HDR and Dolby Vision..I thought I was going to save up for the SonyX900E as well but that is such a good price.

From the AVS preview article and forum thread:

Input lag is extremely good; I expect this TV will be popular with gamers. I can't test 4K lag, but with 1080p I measured lag times in Movie mode at 26.4 milliseconds (top of screen) and 34 milliseconds (middle of screen). Turning on Game mode within Movie mode resulted in lag times of 10.3 milliseconds (top of screen) and 14.5 milliseconds (middle of screen), which are exceptional for a TV.

Switching to HDR, input lag (again 1080p) was an astonishingly low 6.5 milliseconds (top of screen) and 14.1 milliseconds (middle of screen). I quadruple-checked that result, given how great those numbers are. I have not yet gamed on this TV, but I expect a fluid experience. I also appreciate how Game mode preserves the calibrated colors.

Then later on in the forum he posted:

A couple of quick, preliminary comments on playing video games with the TCL 55" P...

HDR sure looks great as compared to SDR. The effect of HDR on textures and lighting effects in Uncharted 4 make it look almost three-dimensional, as opposed to flat.

The really low lag of Game mode (SDR and HDR) feels great.

No hard numbers on 4k HDR input lag atm though.

Supposed to start shipping June 5th, so probably going to start seeing them a couple weeks after that in stores hopefully.

From the AVS preview article and forum thread:

Then later on in the forum he posted:

No hard numbers on 4k HDR input lag atm though.
Thanks for sharing the info! Wow that is a real great price for what seems like an amazing TV.

Any clue on how the P-series differ from the C-series. I would pay a bit extra ($50 more) to have something more stylish and it seems like the C-series is priced reasonably.

Thanks for sharing the info! Wow that is a real great price for what seems like an amazing TV.

Any clue on how the P-series differ from the C-series. I would pay a bit extra ($50 more) to have something more stylish and it seems like the C-series is priced reasonably.

Difference is that the C-series is edge lit.

Lethal

Neo Member
Deciding between 55 b6p and c6p. Price is almost the same. Any reason to choose one over the other?

Will be used for games and movies. Not really live TV or cable

Stiler

Deciding between 55 b6p and c6p. Price is almost the same. Any reason to choose one over the other?

Will be used for games and movies. Not really live TV or cable

Main things are C6 is curved and B6 is Flat. C6 supports 3d and B6 does not.

Hey guys, I couldn't find this via Google but what is the input lag of the 65 inch B6? The only thing I found was HDTVTest's review and they talk about the previous input lags of the 55 B6, so it doesn't seem to be updated in their article.

Is it around 30ms on the 65 inch too?

Dave_6

I decided on a whim last night to buy Lego Batman on Vudu (UHD w/Dolby Vision). That was a pretty spectacular presentation on my B6. Tempted to pick up the physical version next week so I can compare how it's HDR10 looks.

My friend bought a Samsung UE43KU6000W so he can game and watch movies in 4K when Scorpio comes out. But he forgot to check if the TV supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. The only thing I can find is that it has HDR Pro and some customer reviews actually claim that's fake HDR?

If this and he gets to return the TV, what would be a good alternative in the same price range? About 500-600 euros.

AGITΩ

Did a Protection Plan claim on my 2014 Samsung 55HU7250, Curved 4k predates HDR, had some bad backlight bleeding. Having it swapped out on Wednesday for the Sony 65" A1E OLED. Really excited to get this guy home and mess around with the setting. Since the TV also supports external Subwoofer to add richer bass to its accustic surface, i bought a wireless transmitter to pair it up to my pre-existing bluetooth sub.

I really wish WebOS had a HBO Now client. How often are apps added to the platform? Is it pretty static at this point?

From my quick googling last night, I wouldn't hold your breath unfortunately. I think you can watch HBO Now via Amazon if you have it thru that service.

I might need to buy a 4K Chromecast.

sibarraz

Banned
Bought this tv

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6500

Some questions:

-Do I need an special HDMI cable to enjoy the maximum of 4k? or the ones that came with consoles are fine?.

-I will buy a pro or scorpio in 2 or 3 months, meanwhile I only have a ps3 and a notebook that supports 1080p, is there some tips or features that I could use to improve things on those systems?

-When I had the 4k console, which settings should I use on my tv? I have to connect the hdmi cable in an specific port? any tip will be helpful

My LG OLED B6 has let me down twice in less than 3 months of use. First the circuit board burned out and after 5 days after repair it fucking happened again. Same problem, no picture but I can still hear the sound. The repair guy will come back this week but it is pretty annoying. Now I just want him to replace the whole dam panel

Madness

No. Dolby Vision adoption is very slow. More televisions are supporting it yes, and while new DV enabled discs are coming for UHD blu-ray, HDR10 is still the standard. The nit brightness is what will hobble X900E more than not having DV I think because televisions like the X930E are doing like 1300 nits etc. Same goes with HDMI 2.1 etc. Buy the X900E, enjoy the hell out of movies and games. Good blacks, 120hz panel etc. I mean broadcasters are signed onto the UHD Premium spec aka HDR10. We don't even have adequate 4K resolution support, let alone HDR10 support yet.

Weevilone

My LG OLED B6 has let me down twice in less than 3 months of use. First the circuit board burned out and after 5 days after repair it fucking happened again. Same problem, no picture but I can still hear the sound. The repair guy will come back this week but it is pretty annoying. Now I just want him to replace the whole dam panel

Sounds like the circuit board failure is a symptom, not the root problem.

Top Bottom