• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Yeah. The 4K Blu-ray spec requires HDR10 for HDR with the inclusion of other types on top like Dolby Vision as optional. So HDR10 is like a base layer on discs with Dolby Vision, and these new discs that have started coming with Dolby Vision will be able to drop to HDR10 for players/TVs that don't support Dolby Vision.

Old article on the format that mentions it too:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/

Thanks.

I think I've just remembered why I had tentatively decided to hold off on a TV earlier - 4:4:4 10bit 60hz 4k is impossible on every current TV because of bandwidth, apparently.

Does anyone have experience with HDR PC gaming?

Pasedo

Hey guys. Still researching on best screen and read that 2017 Samsung QLED now uses metallic quantum dots. Says it can accurately produce colors at screen brightness of up to 2000 nits. So im guessing vibrant picture with realistic colors. Is this marketing fluff or real tech that makes a real visual difference? Im still on the fence with Oled...value over QLED vs price.

Mrbob

Thanks.

I think I've just remembered why I had tentatively decided to hold off on a TV earlier - 4:4:4 10bit 60hz 4k is impossible on every current TV because of bandwidth, apparently.

I have played a couple PC HDR games but PC support is spotty because hdr monitors aren't hitting till fall. PC versions of ms xb1 games don't support hdr. I hear ME Andromeda is great in HDR and even has Dolby Vision support but I don't own the game. RE7 on PC has hdr support now too.

I've been playing Bayonetta on Steam and it has an option to turn on hdr. It makes a difference but I think it's a fake format because none of the hdr logos pop up on my TV. It looks like a lighting effect and makes light stand out more but doesn't seem like true hdr.

Jigolo

Hey guys. Still researching on best screen and read that 2017 Samsung QLED now uses metallic quantum dots. Says it can accurately produce colors at screen brightness of up to 2000 nits. So im guessing vibrant picture with realistic colors. Is this marketing fluff or real tech that makes a real visual difference? Im still on the fence with Oled...value over QLED vs price.
fluff. Real QLED would be emmisive like OLED but in it's current form it's no different from last year Samsung high end TVs. An LCD with quantum dots. They only started to call it QLED because it's easier for consumers to confuse it with OLED.

Although this is faux QLED since it is an LCD tv it will get brighter than OLED. The highest recorded brightness I see in the ratings review is ~1400 so it probably only achieved 2000 in Samsung labs or something. Similar to OLED where they say it can go to 1000 but I've only ever seen ~700.

My recommendation if you're buying a TV this year would be to buy an OLED

RedAssedApe

Banned
fluff. Real QLED would be emmisive like OLED but in it's current form it's no different from last year Samsung high end TVs. An LCD with quantum dots. They only started to call it QLED because it's easier for consumers to confuse it with OLED.

Although this is faux QLED since it is an LCD tv it will get brighter than OLED. The highest recorded brightness I see in the ratings review is ~1400 so it probably only achieved 2000 in Samsung labs or something. Similar to OLED where they say it can go to 1000 but I've only ever seen ~700.

Your probably just gotta drop it a few times to get it to 2000

KCnCqI

Theonik

Dolby Atmos recommendation is 2.3-3.6M (7.5 - 12 ft) for overhead speakers. Most US homes have ceilings anywhere from 8 to 10 ft.

Why would dampening material be required?
My point was that if your ceiling won't reflect well, then you have no choice but to use ceiling speakers. As for treating your room, that goes for any speaker system. If sound bounces off your walls, that affects directionality of the sound, but in this particular instance the problem is you turn the ceiling into a giant speaker cabinet. You can mitigate the change in speaker response somewhat but you still have that problem. It's not how the system was intended to be installed initially. It will work well enough though,

I think they're probably the right call for most folks. Logistically, it just isn't realistic for most people to mount speakers in ceiling. To the point made by Stiler above, it will be important to consider how the "bounce" will direct and what angles they're set up at.

Take this picture as example:

dolby_sound_bars.jpg

Because the angle at which the speakers you're looking at is fixed, the only variable you're able to adjust is moving the speakers they will sit on forward or backward. And the same goes for the ones that would theoretically be behind. It would certainly be easier to deal with if you only did 2, instead of 4.
Well. That is a problem yes, but the reason the angle is fixed is it actually makes setup easier. If you place your speakers correctly in your room, and really that is required to get any good surround imaging, then the height channel should bounce into your seating position, but yes you need to keep the height of your ceiling in mind that goes for both setups to make sure the speakers are aimed correctly. (since most atmos overhead speakers have fixed driver mounts as well)

Topias

Banned
Holy moly the B7 is coming tonight! It was supposed to be delivered late next week. I can catch the premiere of GoT on it now :)

Let's see if I will be disappointed or not. The truth shall come out.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've played Nex Machina, ME:A (In Dolby Vision and HDR10)

There's not a ton of support out there yet. Even the NV drivers and MS OS level support have been kind of messy, but it works.

Your probably just gotta drop it a few times to get it to 2000

KCnCqI

I will never get sick of seeing this gif.

Pasedo

Dont know man. I want to do more research. Im not usually quick to jump on the hype train and theres alot of hype with Oled at the moment. I cant remember where i read it now but since they moved to metallic quantum dots theyre able to get 100% color accuracy at higher nits and produce decent blacks. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i definitely like what i see from a Qled screen but id like to believe theres some real tech doing some amazing things and its not my mind playing tricks. Has there been credible independent studies on the tech in 2017 Samsung qled screens. Something like a tech analysis that digital foundry does for gaming but in the tv space. If so can someone share the links?

Jigolo

Dont know man. I want to do more research. Im not usually quick to jump on the hype train and theres alot of hype with Oled at the moment. I cant remember where i read it now but since they moved to metallic quantum dots theyre able to get 100% color accuracy at higher nits and produce decent blacks. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i definitely like what i see from a Qled screen but id like to believe theres some real tech doing some amazing things and its not my mind playing tricks. Has there been credible independent studies on the tech in 2017 Samsung qled screens. Something like a tech analysis that digital foundry does for gaming but in the tv space. If so can someone share the links?
Nothing that gets in and really breaks down the science no, I don't think. Just reviews from very qualified people. And yes the color volume on the Samsungs are really good. It's just my recommendation for the amount of $$$ I personally believe you get more from OLED. Instant response times, great input lag, infinite contrast, both major HDR formats (LG DV so far). Dont let that stop you though Samsung TVs are also very good this year. HDTVTest shootout will happen soon so we'll be able to see what TV reigns supreme this year 😁😁

Pasedo

Nothing that gets in and really breaks down the science no, I don't think. Just reviews from very qualified people. And yes the color volume on the Samsungs are really good. It's just my recommendation for the amount of $$$ I personally believe you get more from OLED. Instant response times, great input lag, infinite contrast, both major HDR formats (LG DV so far). Dont let that stop you though Samsung TVs are also very good this year. HDTVTest shootout will happen soon so we'll be able to see what TV reigns supreme this year 😁😁

Hdtvtest best tv review sounds interesting. Hope they really get into the nitty gritty of things to test technology, IQ, features and value for money across various top brands and models. I find it easier building a custom built pc than shopping for a new TV.

Bobosaurus

Neo Member
In my neck of the woods, the Sony XE9005 is about £1300. But I could get and LG OLED 55B6V for £1500.

Is it worth the extra £200 for the OLED. I have seen the Sony in the flesh and the picture was pretty special but OLED is as good as it gets right? Plus bigger is better for 4K I guess.

It will be for mixed use - HDR gaming, blu rays and HD tv.

What's the verdict GAF?

TheBoss1

I would get one for my bedroom and I bet a lot of people would too
No 4K, HDR, and it only sports WebOS 2.0. Why would you do that when you can get the 55" B6 for the same price or very close to it?

It's not worth it to buy any 2017 Samsung sets. They are overpriced and don't match up to anything in it's price ranges. There are TVs that cost less and still perform better as well.

In my neck of the woods, the Sony XE9005 is about £1300. But I could get and LG OLED 55B6V for £1500.

Is it worth the extra £200 for the OLED. I have seen the Sony in the flesh and the picture was pretty special but OLED is as good as it gets right? Plus bigger is better for 4K I guess.

It will be for mixed use - HDR gaming, blu rays and HD tv.

What's the verdict GAF?

If you don't mind a little image retention, vignetting, and the screen dimming on you in brighter scenes (ABL) then you should get the B6. Otherwise, the B6 is superior.

Why is the B6 so close in price to the XE9005 outside of the US?

Yeah, I've played Nex Machina, ME:A (In Dolby Vision and HDR10)

There's not a ton of support out there yet. Even the NV drivers and MS OS level support have been kind of messy, but it works.

I will never get sick of seeing this gif.

I have played a couple PC HDR games but PC support is spotty because hdr monitors aren't hitting till fall. PC versions of ms xb1 games don't support hdr. I hear ME Andromeda is great in HDR and even has Dolby Vision support but I don't own the game. RE7 on PC has hdr support now too.

I've been playing Bayonetta on Steam and it has an option to turn on hdr. It makes a difference but I think it's a fake format because none of the hdr logos pop up on my TV. It looks like a lighting effect and makes light stand out more but doesn't seem like true hdr.

Bayo/Vanquish are not that kind of hdr, it's the same kind as half life 2 lost coast.

How do you deal with Chroma? Do you use sub 4k, or do you use 4:2:0?

I get why you might think there's a "hype train", but that's because OLEDs excel in a lot of objective, measurable areas. You can look at any Rtings review and see boat loads of measurable performance specs. OLEDs excel in almost all of them, except maybe nits.

This years QLEDs are exorbitantly priced for the measurable, objective performance their offering. They go brighter than OLEDs and produce more color, but are behind in virtually every other area.

From the Rtings review of the Q9 (flagship QLED) regarding the LG C7:

The LG C7 is an entry-level OLED TV. It can reproduce the same perfect blacks and excellent picture quality of the more expensive models in the range, but for a much cheaper price. Compared to the Q9F, it beats it on almost all fronts. Picture quality is better on the C7, and it maintains it much better at an angle. The C7 TV doesn't produce any motion blur, but some might prefer the smoothness of the very slight blur found on the Q9. The Q9F does have better colors, being able to reproduce a larger volume. Unless you're planning on using your TV in a very bright environment at all times, you should be buying the LG C7 over the Q9F.

The person above is spot on; QLED in it's full implementation has potential, but the current iteration isn't great, esp from a value standpoint.

At the end of the day, none of the above matters more than liking what you see, so if the brighter, more colorful QLED looks better to you, buy it.

Mrbob

Bayo/Vanquish are not that kind of hdr, it's the same kind as half life 2 lost coast.

My receiver supports 444 4K60 pass through so I use that. I go to the nvidia control panel, set resolution to 4K and select 444. There are 422 and 420 options as well. For games, there was a custom resolution tool posted earlier in this thread and I used that to create an 1800P option (3200 X 1800):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpHONwyBqg

I then set scaling to GPU and 4k resolution in the Nvidia control panel. When I play games I play anywhere from 1080P to 4K depending on how my GPU can handle each game. I tested some games at 1800P and it looked very close to 4K when scaled. 1800P scaled to 4K was a little softer but I didn't find the difference a big deal.

Pasedo

I get why you might think there's a "hype train", but that's because OLEDs excel in a lot of objective, measurable areas. You can look at any Rtings review and see boat loads of measurable performance specs. OLEDs excel in almost all of them, except maybe nits.

This years QLEDs are exorbitantly priced for the measurable, objective performance their offering. They go brighter than OLEDs and produce more color, but are behind in virtually every other area.

From the Rtings review of the Q9 (flagship QLED) regarding the LG C7:

The person above is spot on; QLED in it's full implementation has potential, but the current iteration isn't great, esp from a value standpoint.

At the end of the day, none of the above matters more than liking what you see, so if the brighter, more colorful QLED looks better to you, buy it.

Im so suspicious of whats on the internet these days because i get this sense that what information is produced could have been paid by the manufacturer to favour one side of the argument. Its like one big conspiracy and you dont know who is telling the truth. Like from what ive seen i would have simply dismissed qled. But as you dig deeper you realise especially with Samsungs q9 flagship theyve got a special coating to mimic good viewing angles of an oled and qled particularly using hdr produces a more superior picture due to hdr incorporating the full spectrum of colors and qled beinf able to hit the full potential. Something oled doesnt reach. Also in a semi lit to lit room which we view a tv majority of the time qled with its brightness is even better as it counters saturation caused by light...or something like this. Basically we have to becareful being one sided in here because if i didn't research and believed the one sided oled argument i would have gone out and bought one when i use my tv in a lit room and want to future proof my tv for future hdr experiences in which case qled would be more ideal.

sobaka770

Banned

Mass effect in dolby vision is eye melting (well at least an eye opener). It's so good, the HDR version seems dull in comparison. In fact, best DV advantage demo I've had, none of that Netflix fluff. Had to hook up to my oled though, since there are no monitors.

But I wouldn't get a monitor without DV at this point.

HDR on Bayonetta is the old effect which makes the image simulate the glare when going from dark too bright areas, like fake brightening. It's not at all related to HDR technology.

Im so suspicious of whats on the internet these days because i get this sense that what information is produced could have been paid by the manufacturer to favour one side of the argument. Its like one big conspiracy and you dont know who is telling the truth. Like from what ive seen i would have simply dismissed qled. But as you dig deeper you realise especially with Samsungs q9 flagship theyve got a special coating to mimic good viewing angles of an oled and qled particularly using hdr produces a more superior picture due to hdr incorporating the full spectrum of colors and qled beinf able to hit the full potential. Something oled doesnt reach. Also in a semi lit to lit room which we view a tv majority of the time qled with its brightness is even better as it counters saturation caused by light...or something like this. Basically we have to becareful being one sided in here because if i didn't research and believed the one sided oled argument i would have gone out and bought one when i use my tv in a lit room and want to future proof my tv for future hdr experiences in which case qled would be more ideal.

Yeah, I get you.

If you take off the tin foil hat for a minute (=P just poking fun) go and watch some of the Rtings videos. They buy all their sets from retailers and don't take review samples from mfgs for exactly the reasons you're concerned about: to be unbiased. They respond to questions on Twitter every single morning, so tweet them questions if you wanna know stuff.

They just seem very genuine and knowledgeable as you read their reviews and watch their videos. I think they get paid by people clicking the Amazon links to the sets on their review pages and stuff, but that's not mfg specific.

You're correct though, beyond TVs or even tech, just like politics, you need to evaluate the sources of your information.

Mass effect in dolby vision is eye melting (well at least an eye opener). It's so good, the HDR version seems dull in comparison. In fact, best DV advantage demo I've had, none of that Netflix fluff. Had to hook up to my oled though, since there are no monitors.

But I wouldn't get a monitor without DV at this point.

HDR on Bayonetta is the old effect which makes the image simulate the glare when going from dark too bright areas, like fake brightening. It's not at all related to HDR technology.

I was specifically impressed with some of the small details, like the flare up of fire on the sides of the shuttle as they're entering the atmosphere in the opening 10ish minutes. The dynamic nature of lighting in that scene looked really neat.

Just buy the Samsung and convince yourself that it's better, even though all sources point to the opposite.

Dude.

Not helpful. People like what they like. We can have discourse about pros or cons but if people decide something is more attractive to their eye, whether that's contrary to what numbers on paper say or not, then they should go with it. Period. Live and let live, ya know?

Hojaho

They may have the best color volume, however according to rtings :
"Samsung calculates their color volume versus a 1000 cd/m² DCI P3 volume, but still measures their color volume at maximum brightness, so the areas that are brighter than 1000 cd/m² help to offset the lost volume at lower brightness levels. We normalize our color volume by maximum brightness (because we score maximum brightness elsewhere), and give no benefit when a TV's volume is outside the target volume (because that would mean they're oversaturating their colors, which is bad)."

TheBoss1

Just buy the Samsung and convince yourself that it's better, even though all sources point to the opposite.

Dude.

Not helpful. People like what they like. We can have discourse about pros or cons but if people decide something is more attractive to their eye, whether that's contrary to what numbers on paper say or not, then they should go with it. Period. Live and let live, ya know?

No need for this in here

It's kind of strange that he comes here to ask about which technology is better, people point him to reputable sites with good information and facts about where each technology stands, but then he reverts to mentioning Samsung's PR material.

I feel like this needs to be pinned to the internet for everyone to see. I didn't know this, and spent a long ass time trying to get "HDR" to work. Everything from buy new hdmi cables to disconnecting my whole receiver setup. A huge pain.

They shouldn't be allowed to call things "HDR" anymore unless they're actual HDR.

You're falling for Samsung's marketing.

Their "QLED" is an edge-lit LED which falls victim to the same issues as any edge-lit LED. It is intentionally named so people will confuse it with OLED.

Topias

Banned
Holy moly the B7 is coming tonight! It was supposed to be delivered late next week. I can catch the premiere of GoT on it now :)

Let's see if I will be disappointed or not. The truth shall come out.

Yeah... I'm fine with this TV. Incredible.

I've pretty well played all the available PC HDR games, you'd either select 420 or 422 depending on the game. For example Shadow warrior 2 looks terrible with anything other than 420 chroma, the colour banding is ridiculously bad, but other games are perfectly fine with 422 and obviously stick with that if you can.

If you want to see something a bit special in HDR, then play the opening 3/4 minutes of Obduction with the lights off.......wow.

RedAssedApe

Banned
for those that have or have played mass effect.

what should you dial the hdr10 peak value to? are you only supposed to go as far as when you stop noticing the difference between the boxes? i think i stop noticing it when i get to around 3/4 of the way. is there any detriment to just dialing it up to the max?

Topias

Banned
Well HDR seems to be a bit dim on the LG B7 in game mode. I think I will have to use the dynamic contrast setting at medium/high.

All in all, I am very impressed by this TV. Moving to 4k also came with a nice side effect. The 4k signal got rid of the input lag caused by my Denon receiver, as it cannot overlay the settings on the picture like it used to on 1080p. This used to cause noticeable lag on 1080p content, but now that is gone. The 21 ms input lag is lightning fast, wow!

Seeing as Samsung is by far the biggest TV manufacturer, shouldn't you be suspicious of their marketing most of all?

This discussion made me curious to do some research and it seems 422 10 bit might be best option for hdr games and 444 8 bit for non hdr

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...s-ycbcr422-10-bpc.html#/topics/2718433?page=5

Honestly, I have no idea how you set those two things individually. As in, I don't know how you setup the Nvidia Control Panel to change those on the fly, depending on whether you're in HDR or not.

I have mine set to 8 bit 4:4:4 right now for 4K60, but I have no idea if that changes when you switch on HDR or not.

This is further compounded by the fact that I don't have a solid understanding of what is overriding what when you turn on HDR in Windows either. Especially after the last update. I'm still on a 2-version old NV driver because they broke HDR with the one before the most recent.

TheBoss1

Seeing as Samsung is by far the biggest TV manufacturer, shouldn't you be suspicious of their marketing most of all?

Exactly. Samsung has the deepest pockets to pay off businesses to favor their products over the competition, so that accusation does not work here.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The Sammy QLED TVs are the biggest ripoff going right now in TVs. In many areas, the Q7 is actually measurably inferior to even last year's excellent (and cheap) Samsung KS8000 Series TV.

As for independent testing, your timing couldn't be better as the most famous TV comparison in the world just happened yesterday

http://www.avsforum.com/ce-week-2017-annual-tv-shootout-results-lg-g7-oled-wins/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...on-event-will-nyc-july-12-july-13-2017-a.html

the LG G7 OLED was the overall winner and beat the Samsung Q9 flagship."QLED

P.S. If you don't believe HDTVtest.co.uk and/or rtings.com results then I got nothing for you. Go ahead and overpay for a Samsung QLED and be happy, because ignorance is bliss.

The Sammy QLED TVs are the biggest ripoff going right now in TVs. In many areas, the Q7 is actually measurably inferior to even last year's excellent (and cheap) Samsung KS8000 Series TV.

As for independent testing, your timing couldn't be better as the most famous TV comparison in the world just happened yesterday

http://www.avsforum.com/ce-week-2017-annual-tv-shootout-results-lg-g7-oled-wins/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...on-event-will-nyc-july-12-july-13-2017-a.html

P.S. If you don't believe HDTVtest.co.uk and/or rtings.com results then I got nothing for you. Go ahead and overpay for a Samsung QLED and be happy, because ignorance is bliss.

Really wish there was video of this. I've always wanted to hear Joel Silver speak. Must be a really sharp dude.

Some posters even said the Q9 looked awful in that shootout.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...event-will-nyc-july-12-july-13-2017-a-26.html

Good job LG, beating the A1E and Z9D (and not "X9D" which doesn't even exist)
Not surprised to see it beat the Z9D (it's still a LCD) but the win over the A1E was a little unexpected

Interesting. I would've thought the opposite. I figured it'd beat out the A1E, because it's and LGD panel, and iirc Sony didn't use their top tier processor in the A1E. That was reserved for the Z9D. And I thought the Z9D would have been better in "streaming" (which near as I can tell from the very limited article, is how the TV processes an image) due to the Xtreme processor or w/e that thing is called. Of course OLED would win in contrast, color etc, but thought maybe the Z9D would pull one out.

E: Wow, some of that stuff is pretty scathing in that thread. Industry guys were surprised at just how bad the Samsung performed. I didn't realize it was only 32 zone local dimming. Yikes.

Marmelade

Some posters even said the Q9 looked awful in that shootout.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...event-will-nyc-july-12-july-13-2017-a-26.html

Good job LG, beating the A1E and Z9D (and not "X9D" which doesn't even exist)
Not surprised to see it beat the Z9D (it's still a LCD) but the win over the A1E was a little unexpected

Well HDR seems to be a bit dim on the LG B7 in game mode. I think I will have to use the dynamic contrast setting at medium/high.

All in all, I am very impressed by this TV. Moving to 4k also came with a nice side effect. The 4k signal got rid of the input lag caused by my Denon receiver, as it cannot overlay the settings on the picture like it used to on 1080p. This used to cause noticeable lag on 1080p content, but now that is gone. The 21 ms input lag is lightning fast, wow!

I agree, the default HDR game mode is a tad too dim.

What receiver do you have? I've got a Denon myself, and haven't really noticed any extra lag.

TheBoss1

Interesting. I would've thought the opposite. I figured it'd beat out the A1E, because it's and LGD panel, and iirc Sony didn't use their top tier processor in the A1E. That was reserved for the Z9D. And I thought the Z9D would have been better in "streaming" (which near as I can tell from the very limited article, is how the TV processes an image) due to the Xtreme processor or w/e that thing is called. Of course OLED would win in contrast, color etc, but thought maybe the Z9D would pull one out.

Umm the A1E does in fact use the same processor as the Z9D. In fact, the 940E and 930E uses that processor too.

J-P

Neo Member

Agreed it's dim but I think dynamic contrast will cause more input lag unfortunately. I find HDR in general on my B6 is dim. That and the motion resolution are the only things that bum me out about this otherwise incredible TV

Umm the A1E does in fact use the same processor as the Z9D. In fact, the 940E and 930E uses that processor too.

Ahhh, got you. I thought I had read that somewhere on AVS. Never actually looked myself. Makes sense!

E: Oh wow. Some of the dudes in that thread that were there said they would have ranked the Vizio above the Samsung. Insanity. Vizio has come a long, long way since the late 2000's

Topias

Banned
I agree, the default HDR game mode is a tad too dim.

What receiver do you have? I've got a Denon myself, and haven't really noticed any extra lag.

I've got the recent AVR-X540BT. The input lag was noticeable in 1080p, and you could compare it with the normal mode and HDMI pass-through mode. I wasn't able to turn off the settings overlay, so it would cause some lag. When using pass-through the lag obliviously disappeared, as no overlays were processed on the image.

It seems like LG WebOS doesn't support HBO or Spotify. Is there any explanation for this? A bummer for sure.

Mrbob

Honestly, I have no idea how you set those two things individually. As in, I don't know how you setup the Nvidia Control Panel to change those on the fly, depending on whether you're in HDR or not.

I have mine set to 8 bit 4:4:4 right now for 4K60, but I have no idea if that changes when you switch on HDR or not.

This is further compounded by the fact that I don't have a solid understanding of what is overriding what when you turn on HDR in Windows either. Especially after the last update. I'm still on a 2-version old NV driver because they broke HDR with the one before the most recent.

Where you select chroma mode there is a select box for the bit rate. If you are in 444 you can only select 8 bit. I tested Bayonetta and Nex Machina in 444 and 422 and honestly I didn't see a big difference. 444 looked a little more colorful to me but that might have been placebo effect. I'm just going to leave it on 444.

I think the most recent firmware update fixed hdr. I swear I read that somewhere but can't find it now.

Where you select chroma mode there is a select box for the bit rate. If you are in 444 you can only select 8 bit. I tested Bayonetta and Nex Machina in 444 and 422 and honestly I didn't see a big difference. 444 looked a little more colorful to me but that might have been placebo effect. I'm just going to leave it on 444.

Right, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to set them separately. Like to default to 444 for SDR stuff at 8 bit and then 420 or w/e for HDR content. I don't think NV CP allows you to set things up that way.

I think the most recent firmware update fixed hdr. I swear I read that somewhere but can't find it now.

It isn't placebo, it's colour resolution at the end of the day, I can see the difference on my Windows desktop fairly easily.

Mrbob

At least my eyesight is still good then.

Right, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to set them separately. Like to default to 444 for SDR stuff at 8 bit and then 420 or w/e for HDR content. I don't think NV CP allows you to set things up that way.

Oh yeah there is not a way to do that.

BumRush

From left to right (omitting the Sony BVM-X300 )

LG E7, Sony A1E, Sony Z9D, Samsung Q9F

6ChVtquMjf0wW2tLrTmawn6YfDS2srCEqgAshHUyL7rasBwhhvMD1QasDrdEdiYLPHojQm7cSKiR9lc=w1920-h1067

That Q9F is just...there has to be something wrong here
I mean it would probably look better if the picture was taken straight on but still...

Man, those OLEDs look significantly better (not putting too much stock into it since it's a single pic freeze frame but damn)

Top Bottom