• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

At that price point, I doubt this TV sells much. What they should've done is sell smaller sized OLEDs (32-50") if they wanted to reach consumers in the low-end market. I'm trying to figure out who this is targeting because this makes no sense.

I'd guess there's no way to tool up a factory, take your already limited yields, and cut the panels down to that size and still be able to price (and actually sell) at enough of a premium for that to make sense.

Like, most people in the market for a 32" TV aren't going to pay double/triple for a 32" OLED.

It's official...

PfWyTe1.jpg

According to Bill Hunt...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/071117-1430

Damn. Will prolly have Atmos too. I really need to get on ordering a 203

So goddamn psyched for Disney/Marvel 4K discs. Love that they feature Dolby Vision.

No need to wait for HDMI 2.1 to get dynamic metadata HDR now. Now that DV's taking off properly, I'm getting a 7 series OLED asap.

teiresias

Can anyone with the B7 tell me if the silver bezel is distracting when viewing? I'd really prefer to buy a B7 at Costco, but the silver bezel edge is really putting me off.

I may still just jump to the Sony A1E.

TheBoss1

I'd guess there's no way to tool up a factory, take your already limited yields, and cut the panels down to that size and still be able to price (and actually sell) at enough of a premium for that to make sense.

Like, most people in the market for a 32" TV aren't going to pay double/triple for a 32" OLED.

I just have a feeling they want to control the pricing of OLEDs which they can't if they go to smaller sizes. Even with more competition this year, every OLED TV uses LGD panels. And in that 55-77" size range, most TVs in general are exponentially expensive compared to 32-40" sets which are more abundant. LG wants to keep the prices high on these sets for a while.

I guess I'm agreeing with you but just offering another perspective.

Mrbob

So goddamn psyched for Disney/Marvel 4K discs. Love that they feature Dolby Vision.

No need to wait for HDMI 2.1 to get dynamic metadata HDR now. Now that DV's taking off properly, I'm getting a 7 series OLED asap.
It's only hdr10 is guaranteed to be every disc. Hdr10+ is not. In fact I'm starting to question the viability of hdr10+ if it's only a Samsung pushed format. If anything I think it's going to be like audio where you have dts, Dolby digital, and pcm. Expecting hdr10, hdr10+, and Dolby vision to be on future discs.

I hope MS announces Dolby vision support for xb1s and xb1x. I'll probably upgrade my xb1s to xb1x if they do. Otherwise I'm going to sell my xb1s this fall for an oppo 203. I have some time to wait since it won't be until fall 2017 when Yamaha is going to have a firmware update to support Dolby vision pass through.

I just have a feeling they want to control the pricing of OLEDs which they can't if they go to smaller sizes. Even with more competition this year, every OLED TV uses LGD panels. And in that 55-77" size range, most TVs in general are exponentially expensive compared to 32-40" sets which are more abundant. LG wants to keep the prices high on these sets for a while.

I guess I'm agreeing with you but just offering another perspective.

Hmmm.... Not sure I'm understanding your logic (i might be interpreting your statements incorrectly?)

LG would very much still control pricing in smaller sizes, because again, they are the only ones (through LGD, as you mention) who are tooled up to build OLEDs. They could retool to cut smaller size panels, and as long as LGD keeps the prices high, all mfgs would need to buy the smaller OLED panels from LGD and pass along the increased cost (comparatively, to LCD) to mfgs, who would price the sets higher.

At the end of the day, yields just aren't high enough for OLED technology to proliferate the way LCD technology has. The demand isn't there (and never will be?) to support $600-$800 32" TVs.

OLED is an enthusiast technology (and still priced as one) and on this very forum you'll find people that don't think the tech is worth it for the diff in picture quality. That's only exacerbated as you move down the price band and people generally become more price inelastic.

If yields every increase to the point where OLED is just the next logical step behind LCD, absolutely we'll see it in everything, the way we've seen LED backlit LCDs explode in popularity, but OLED is still too "new" and yields need to increase and costs reduce before any of that happens. And all of that is assuming something (god forbid) better doesn't come along to supersede OLED.

Anyone here using a Sonos as a soundbar?

Buddy has a Playbar. They are legit. Sonos is an awesome company and their products are seriously good. A little pricey, but really good stuff. Sonos sub is awesome and you can actually configure a bunch of Play'1s with your the soundbar and a sub to do wireless surround sound, which is neat.

BumRush

Buddy has a Playbar. They are legit. Sonos is an awesome company and their products are seriously good. A little pricey, but really good stuff. Sonos sub is awesome and you can actually configure a bunch of Play'1s with your the soundbar and a sub to do wireless surround sound, which is neat.

I know it's anecdotal, but would you say the Playbar + sub was worth the $1200-ish, compared to other similarly priced setups (AV + speakers)

I know it's anecdotal, but would you say the Playbar + sub was worth the $1200-ish, compared to other similarly priced setups (AV + speakers)

Yes. That's the exact setup my buddy has. That sonos sub pounds for how small and compact it is.

Presumably, you're looking at a soundbar because you don't want to do 5/7.1. If that's the case, you can absolutely find cheaper soundbar/sub combinations, but I think that combination has really fantastic sound, which is always worth a bit more money to me.

And the wireless 5.1 deal is kinda cool for future proofing down the road, if you move/change your mind or w/e.

Plus it lets you start a Sonos system, so you can buy Play 1's and spread em around your place like chiclets! =)

Out of curiosity on wireless surround systems I came across this we l which was a fun read.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-HNj018nF3HW/learn/wireless-surround-sound.html

That Klipsch reference system is a monster not is 3 Grand. Maybe one day.

Hey that's cool!

Did not realize Klipsch had gotten in the game also.

The thing that's tricky about "wireless" surround sound is all you're really eliminating is the speaker wires/LFE cable to each speaker. They still need "wires" to plug in for power.

It certainly makes life a lot easier though. I'd be curious what that Klipsch system sounds like (other than harsh and bright =P ).

TheBoss1

Hmmm.... Not sure I'm understanding your logic (i might be interpreting your statements incorrectly?)

LG would very much still control pricing in smaller sizes, because again, they are the only ones (through LGD, as you mention) who are tooled up to build OLEDs. They could retool to cut smaller size panels, and as long as LGD keeps the prices high, all mfgs would need to buy the smaller OLED panels from LGD and pass along the increased cost (comparatively, to LCD) to mfgs, who would price the sets higher.

At the end of the day, yields just aren't high enough for OLED technology to proliferate the way LCD technology has. The demand isn't there (and never will be?) to support $600-$800 32" TVs.

OLED is an enthusiast technology (and still priced as one) and on this very forum you'll find people that don't think the tech is worth it for the diff in picture quality. That's only exacerbated as you move down the price band and people generally become more price inelastic.

If yields every increase to the point where OLED is just the next logical step behind LCD, absolutely we'll see it in everything, the way we've seen LED backlit LCDs explode in popularity, but OLED is still too "new" and yields need to increase and costs reduce before any of that happens. And all of that is assuming something (god forbid) better doesn't come along to supersede OLED.

I'm saying that they can get away with pricing the large sized OLEDs with whatever they please because that is the high end market, but will suffer if they try that with smaller sized OLEDs. They would be forced to bring down the prices which is not favorable for them.

I'm just saying something similar to what you're saying lol

I'm saying that they can get away with pricing the large sized OLEDs with whatever they please because that is the high end market, but will suffer if they try that with smaller sized OLEDs. They would be forced to bring down the prices which is not favorable for them.

I'm just saying something similar to what you're saying lol

Totally, 100%, absolutely correct =)

BumRush

Yes. That's the exact setup my buddy has. That sonos sub pounds for how small and compact it is.

Presumably, you're looking at a soundbar because you don't want to do 5/7.1. If that's the case, you can absolutely find cheaper soundbar/sub combinations, but I think that combination has really fantastic sound, which is always worth a bit more money to me.

And the wireless 5.1 deal is kinda cool for future proofing down the road, if you move/change your mind or w/e.

Plus it lets you start a Sonos system, so you can buy Play 1's and spread em around your place like chiclets! =)

I don't really want to do the whole receiver plus two giant speakers, etc. thing (I might for the projector room we're eventually building but not for our main living room). The soundbar / sub setup is hassle-free and so discreet. Nice to hear the Sonos / Sub combo bumps though.

TheBoss1

I don't really want to do the whole receiver plus two giant speakers, etc. thing (I might for the projector room we're eventually building but not for our main living room). The soundbar / sub setup is hassle-free and so discreet. Nice to hear the Sonos / Sub combo bumps though.

I'm also interested in getting upgraded sound but I'm a novice in this field. I'd love a full setup but don't have the space yet or want to be hassled with setting it up.

Yup! Pretty much exactly why my buddy got rid of his Def Tech system and went that route.

And it has "Trueplay" also, which is auto room EQ, which works very well and is a rarity for soundbar setups.

BumRush

I'm also interested in getting upgraded sound but I'm a novice in this field. I'd love a full setup but don't have the space yet or want to be hassled with setting it up.

If you only have the TV and you are using those speakers, upgrade that IMMEDIATELY to a $100-$200 soundbar / sub combo, at a minimum. The jump from TV speakers to that alone will blow your mind

If you only have the TV and you are using those speakers, upgrade that IMMEDIATELY to a $100-$200 soundbar / sub combo, at a minimum. The jump from TV speakers to that alone will blow your mind

Yessss.

And people a lot of times automatically go to "oh, there will be way more bass and explosions will sound awesome" etc but it's even quality of life stuff, like when you're watching TV shows where there is softly spoken dialogue, often times on TV speakers it can be unintelligible because they just aren't capable of resolving subtle details.

And mfgs know it is literally the last thing most people care about when looking at TVs.

TheBoss1

Well I have been in some of my friends' places, so I experienced sounds from cheap soundbars to 5.1 surround sets. My issue is that there are so much different options, I don't know which would be the best value. I'm willing to spend about $1,000 but don't know what setup would be worth it.

Well I have been in some of my friends' places, so I experienced sounds from cheap soundbars to 5.1 surround sets. My issue is that there are so much different options, I don't know which would be the best value. I'm willing to spend about $1,000 but don't know what setup would be worth it.

Are you thinking soundbar or 5.1 (or either)?

BumRush

Yessss.

And people a lot of times automatically go to "oh, there will be way more bass and explosions will sound awesome" etc but it's even quality of life stuff, like when you're watching TV shows where there is softly spoken dialogue, often times on TV speakers it can be unintelligible because they just aren't capable of resolving subtle details.

And mfgs know it is literally the last thing most people care about when looking at TVs.

Completely agreed

Everything, especially if it's good value. I'm looking for the X900E of audio solutions if that helps lol.

Haha, yeah I kinda get it.

The problem is audio works on less of a linear scale than TVs do. Like, as you go up in price on TVs, all the measurable numbers (theoretically) get better; contrast, input lag, nits etc.

Audio is a bit different in the sense that you have to first make a couple choices about how you want to set your room up; e.g., as discussed up a few posts, do you have the ability to have 5.1 set up in a decent configuration in your room or not. If not, maybe a soundbar is better. Or maybe, like above, you want to do a sound bar now with the ability to expand in the future.

Once you make some of those configuration based decisions, then you're into more of the TV scenario where the equipment sounds "better" as you go up in price.

The other component that makes audio tricky, is while we can measure frequency responds, what "sounds good" is wayyyyyyyy more subjective than the measurements we use on TVs to dictate what "looks good."

Audio is much more personal; it's kind of like "what sounds good to you" sort of.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I really like my Vizio SB4551 soundbar. Even though the wireless surrounds are tiny they help a ton as opposed to your usual 2.1/3.1 soundbars that use VSS to try and simulate surround.

Why not? It's a 1080p OLED. Good holdover until 4K and HDR becomes more common (and affordable).

You can get a B6 for that money. Nothing about the A7 has been upgraded from 910v, except the curve is now flat. You're better off getting a 901v heavily discounted if you want to stick to 1080p.

I had the sonos soundbar for about a week before I got rid of it. It sounded ok. Very ok. I couldn't get over how small the soundstage felt. I didn't get much L/R at all, everything felt like it was coming from directly in front of me.

Quality was decent though.

I've since upgraded to a full receiver and quality 5.1. The difference is huge. Audio doesn't get enough respect.

I had the sonos soundbar for about a week before I got rid of it. It sounded ok. Very ok. I couldn't get over how small the soundstage felt. I didn't get much L/R at all, everything felt like it was coming from directly in front of me.

Quality was decent though.

I've since upgraded to a full receiver and quality 5.1. The difference is huge. Audio doesn't get enough respect.

Yup, agreed on both parts. Even good 3.1 simulation is never going to give you the channel separation of dedicated 5.1. That's nothing more than the physics of how sound works and where speakers are positioned.

Audio, to me, is just as impactful, if not more so than visual. I will never, ever forget playing Dead Space 2 on my 5.1 system and genuinely feeling like things were crawling around the room. It's certainly immersive, when done right.

My parents are in the market for a 65-inch 4K set, $1K budget. What should I buy them? Hoping for an Amazon deal.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

Both of the two Vizio's in the bottom "best budget" section are right around $1K

If you can wait, the TCL 65 p-series (55 version is getting very good reviews for the price) is also supposedly going to be around $1000 but release data ETA is still Fall.

This is a fantastic call. Did not know they were making anything bigger than a 55". That would be the way to go.

J-P

Neo Member

I have the Sonos 5.1 setup downstairs and just a playbar upstairs. So worth it. I can confirm the sub is a beast. Even the playbar alone sounds awesome and has good bass. Love not having to deal with a receiver and wires for the surrounds. Whole house Audio is also amazing. I highly recommend it.

tmdorsey

For all the Stranger Things watchers in this thread, confirmation hit that Stranger Things 2 will stream in HDR10/Dolby Vision!
3AQmK.gif

Not to be a downer but Haven't people been saying the hdr on Netflix has been garbage tho? I still haven't upgraded my plan.

Noooooo

I just watched that Okja movie the other night in DV (or at least like ten mins of it tbh...) and it looked really really good.

Also watched 13 reasons why and that looked really good too. There's some film grain, but I think that's more of an "artistic choice" kinda thing, than a fault of the Netflix streaming quality.

tmdorsey

Noooooo Wayyyyyyyyy

Fuck. Yes.

Seriously, the Netflix support of DV is starting to be very, very exciting.

Yes it is. I really hope that my 930e gets updated for Dolby Vision by the time the new season hits.

Oh speaking of, it's been reported over on avs that the 2017 Sony sets that are due to get the update for Dolby Vision have a SoC for the processing. So, the Dolby Vision support isn't all software based.

killroy87

the LG B6 supposedly does HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Has anyone tried any of the new Dolby discs to see how it communicates that it's using that over HDR10?

TheBoss1

Haha, yeah I kinda get it.

The problem is audio works on less of a linear scale than TVs do. Like, as you go up in price on TVs, all the measurable numbers (theoretically) get better; contrast, input lag, nits etc.

Audio is a bit different in the sense that you have to first make a couple choices about how you want to set your room up; e.g., as discussed up a few posts, do you have the ability to have 5.1 set up in a decent configuration in your room or not. If not, maybe a soundbar is better. Or maybe, like above, you want to do a sound bar now with the ability to expand in the future.

Once you make some of those configuration based decisions, then you're into more of the TV scenario where the equipment sounds "better" as you go up in price.

The other component that makes audio tricky, is while we can measure frequency responds, what "sounds good" is wayyyyyyyy more subjective than the measurements we use on TVs to dictate what "looks good."

Audio is much more personal; it's kind of like "what sounds good to you" sort of.

I picked up a 37" Vizio soundbar for my 55" x900e. It works very well.
Thanks guys. After much thoughts, I'd rather get a quick easy solution now like a soundbar. Then when I get my own spot I will go either 5.1 or 7.1 if it's worth it.

What about those wireless speakers you speak of - is it worth it for a small room? The room is about 20x15 and can be rearranged if need be to accommodate for a small setup.

You can get a B6 for that money. Nothing about the A7 has been upgraded from 910v, except the curve is now flat. You're better off getting a 901v heavily discounted if you want to stick to 1080p.
And the TV doesn't even come with the latest version of WebOS LOL.

I have the Sonos 5.1 setup downstairs and just a playbar upstairs. So worth it. I can confirm the sub is a beast. Even the playbar alone sounds awesome and has good bass. Love not having to deal with a receiver and wires for the surrounds. Whole house Audio is also amazing. I highly recommend it.

I guess I'll have to take a look at this. I'm sure it will run over my budget but eff it.

tmdorsey

Not to be a downer but Haven't people been saying the hdr on Netflix has been garbage tho? I still haven't upgraded my plan.

It depends on the content really. The Marvel stuff doesn't look that great, but shows and shorts like Chef's Table, Abstract, Cosmos Laundromat, Sparks etc, all look awesome. I also hear some of the Adam Sandler movies look good as well.

e90Mark

Everything, especially if it's good value. I'm looking for the X900E of audio solutions if that helps lol.
BuyDig on eBay has/had the SJ9 for $400. It's a 5.1.2 Atmos capable soundbar. It retails for like $999.
For all the Stranger Things watchers in this thread, confirmation hit that Stranger Things 2 will stream in HDR10/Dolby Vision!
3AQmK.gif
It will be amazing in DV. Can't wait for October.
the LG B6 supposedly does HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Has anyone tried any of the new Dolby discs to see how it communicates that it's using that over HDR10?

Not a Dolby disc yet, but DV exists on Netflix and it works fine.

Thanks guys. After much thoughts, I'd rather get a quick easy solution now like a soundbar. Then when I get my own spot I will go either 5.1 or 7.1 if it's worth it.

What about those wireless speakers you speak of - is it worth it for a small room? The room is about 20x15 and can be rearranged if need be to accommodate for a small setup.

I guess I'll have to take a look at this. I'm sure it will run over my budget but eff it.

So, the thing that gets a bit tricky, is for your price, you could def get a great soundbar, but future expansion is tough.

I love Martin Logan stuff (I have a ML 5.1) and I think the vision soundbar is excellent for the price, and last year's model is half off some places...

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3yN1j...34777&awdv=c&awkw=&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9019676

The vision will do simulated 3 speakers (Left, Right and Center) just like the Sonos, and you can add a sub also (wired).

Where Sonos jumps ahead is you can later add wireless rears if you want, as well as the sub being wireless, plus all the other multi room stuff Sonos does.

For under $1K you'll likely mostly find soundbars like that. They aren't likely to be expandable beyond 3.1. If you're willing to wait/save, I'd go the Sonos Playbar + Sub route. Also, as we get closer to holidays, sometimes Sonos will run deals on stuff too, so if you aren't buying immediately, there's always that option.

E: Here's the S&V review for the Vision. Only downside is "value" but that was based on it being $1500, not $700.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/martinlogan-motion-vision-soundbar

Definitely need to have my new TV by October then!!

What's the upcharge for upgrading a Netflix account to 4k?

$2.

So, really only for the 1%-er's =)

Top Bottom