• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Man, those OLEDs look significantly better (not putting too much stock into it since it's a single pic freeze frame but damn)

Yes. Really highlights the ability to turn light on and off on a per-pixel basis. That contrast is just amazing.

Honestly, was taking a bit of a leap buyin my C7 six weeks ago, but all the glowing praise since then has made me feel totally justified (beyond just pleasing my own eyes, of course)

Mrbob

That Q9F on the stage....

t5ooLsA.gif

LG with the clean sweep in all categories.

Marmelade

To be fair to the Q9, there's no way it looked that bad in person
It's a bad pic taken at an angle so all its shortcomings are amplified
There would be even more blooming on the Z9D if they swaped places for example
But still, it's clearly the worst of the bunch by a big margin

tmdorsey

Ah ok HDR then, hmmmmmm just goes to show how shit edge lit is in all honesty, even if it's been taken from an angle.

The 930E is edge-lit and is not shit. In fact it's been noted to out perform some FALD sets with it's dimming algorithm. If all you watch is mostly dark/space content in a completely dark room, then yeah and edge-lit it's the right display.

The 930E is edge-lit and is not shit. In fact it's been noted to out perform some FALD sets with it's dimming algorithm. If all you watch is mostly dark/space content in a completely dark room, then yeah and edge-lit it's the right display.

I've had decent edge lits, and they can be very good, but dark content with bright elements just ask too much of them, and with HDR on the scene, it only makes the situation worse. I had an JS9000 HDR set, and it was pretty good, but when a 3rd of the screen lights up trying to display light and dark, just makes the whole experience pretty distracting, but I've not seen an 930E.

Is ABL really annoying on OLED screens? I think it would probably break me mentally if the effect is constant.

IS that when the screen dims for staying on a static image (or what the TV thinks is a static image) for too long? If so, yes... it's annoying as shit. Since I use my TV as a PC monitor it's always doing that, like when I'm on GAF... right. fucking. now. UGh

torontoml

Just bought the B7 and a 4k Blu Ray player. Will be delivered/picking it up around the 25th.

Went to Best Buy originally, but the guy spent like 20 min talking to a Customer that already had their TV. So I left and went to a different electronics store.

IS that when the screen dims for staying on a static image (or what the TV thinks is a static image) for too long? If so, yes... it's annoying as shit. Since I use my TV as a PC monitor it's always doing that, like when I'm on GAF... right. fucking. now. UGh

I haven't noticed it once on my B6 and I'm super sensitive to that kind of stuff. Newer models are supposedly less aggressive with it also.
I don't know what to think now. I'm super sensitive to this kind of shit like, I hate CE dimming on my Samsung screen. To be fair, I won't be using it as a PC monitor, so there's that.

J-P

Neo Member
I don't know what to think now. I'm super sensitive to this kind of shit like, I hate CE dimming on my Samsung screen. To be fair, I won't be using it as a PC monitor, so there's that.

When I see people who complain about it 99% of the time it's bc they use it as a PC monitor. I keep mine quite bright and I've literally never noticed it.

ss_lemonade

The LG player I believe will (or does) as well along with the Oppo?

I don't think Sony has said whether their player will or not yet, so I guess it probably won't. Which will be weird since their top TVs will get updates for it.

Sucks that the Samsung player won't, since that's the one I got since it was first.

Some posters even said the Q9 looked awful in that shootout.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...event-will-nyc-july-12-july-13-2017-a-26.html

Good job LG, beating the A1E and Z9D (and not "X9D" which doesn't even exist)
Not surprised to see it beat the Z9D (it's still a LCD) but the win over the A1E was a little unexpected

After reading on the forum it seems that in actuality it was as close as a tie between the LG and the A1E, the two big OLEDs, and that any given day based on chosen content some of the things between the two could swap.

Though I think some of them will generally prefer the LG due to the full Color Management System so they can tighten those colors to as close to perfection as possible, which just can't be done as closely on the Sony since they've never offered one.

Personally I think the A1E looks a little better than the LG, and maybe that's due to motion and smoothness of color in skies and bright multicolored animated scenes since as a normal viewer I don't really look at freeze frames, but these two sets seem to be so close and so good that it's kind of splitting hairs and I can see the LG winning too, either way seems like some of the best stuff you can watch with them both seemingly getting so close to that reference OLED.

Madness

Yeah, honestly I've seen all the models apart from the last one in person and the C7 really is the best in class tv right now. Worthy upgrade to my pioneer kuro and then some.

Eh, if I had the money to burn, I would get the A1E over the C7. But if price is a factor, the C7 is clearly the better purchase. With Panasonic on the market as well and people willing to jump into the space, we could see a challenge to LG in terms of OLED dominance.

I wish I could combine the fluidity of WebOS with the utility of Android. The apps google keeps adding to Android TV is crazy. Samsung Tizen is utter shit by comparison.

Mrbob

One thing that is nice about Amazon Video is there is no extra charge for 4k/hdr.

Curious is anyone has watched Bosch yet on Amazon Video? I think I'm going to watch that next and I see it has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. Wonder if it's easy to flip between the two and select the format you want....

One thing that is nice about Amazon Video is there is no extra charge for 4k/hdr.

Curious is anyone has watched Bosch yet on Amazon Video? I think I'm going to watch that next and I see it has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. Wonder if it's easy to flip between the two and select the format you want....

Good question. I'm curious about that too, since it would be pretty cool if you could just swap between them (also for fun, easy comparison), but I also wouldn't be surprised if they had two different entries for regular HDR and Dolby Vision HDR in the movie list menu.

Agreed. It was nice that it was added to the existing service.

Good question. I'm curious about that too, since it would be pretty cool if you could just swap between them (also for fun, easy comparison), but I also wouldn't be surprised if they had two different entries for regular HDR and Dolby Vision HDR in the movie list menu.

Agreed. It was nice that it was added to the existing service.

The thing that's really hard tho, is you can't calibrate for Dolby Vision yet. So you might see differences, but are settings in the TV identical for the two formats?

Said it a few weeks back but I wasn't impressed with the Samsung QLED in person. Looked like it had some basic dimming which has this large circular zone which fades out to the corners.

Anyone watching GoT in a C7? Watching on Amazon video in 1080p. Mostly looks extremely impressive, except when it gets dark. A lot of very obvious banding/compression in very dark scenes. Was kind of hoping for better 😕

JB1981

Anyone watching GoT in a C7? Watching on Amazon video in 1080p. Mostly looks extremely impressive, except when it gets dark. A lot of very obvious banding/compression in very dark scenes. Was kind of hoping for better 😕

Get the blu-rays. The quality is stunning

I subscribed to the "channel" through Amazon video so I can just watch in app on the C7. It really looks great 90% of the time. Dark/night time, not so much.

BumRush

I subscribed to the "channel" through Amazon video so I can just watch in app on the C7. It really looks great 90% of the time. Dark/night time, not so much.

Honestly, GoT night scenes in the App look 480p. The banding (and other issues) are atrocious. Made me think my plasma was on the way out last year.

Honestly, GoT night scenes in the App look 480p. The banding (and other issues) are atrocious. Made me think my plasma was on the way out last year.

Yeah it's a bummer. The day time scenes look incredible, even in 1080p, but night time banding is a bit disappointing

Mrbob

So the way Amazon handles shows that are encoded with Dolby Vision and HDR10 is interesting. It seems how it works (at least for LG TV) is if you use the Amazon App on the LG OLED TV the show will default to Dolby Vision over HDR10. The only way HDR10 shows up is if the device doesn't offer Dolby Vision. I tested this out and it seemed to be true with Bosch. Season 1 is just HDR10 but Season 2 is HDR10 and Dolby Vision. On the Amazon App on my LG OLED I get Dolby Vision to kick in. If I use the Amazon App on XB1S then I get HDR10 to work with the show. You don't get to choose.

Also, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how Web OS runs on the LG OLED. I figured it would be trash but I find it quite useful. I picked up an optical cable to run from the TV to the receiver so I can run streaming Dolby Vision content from tv apps and still get 5.1.

Bosch is the most disgusting piece of video I have ever seen, it's that bad. Amazon should remove it.

Lima

What were they doing when they shot it? I mean seriously you could do better with a mobile phone, or a point and shoot £1500 HDR camera........

I guess the overall look with it being low contrast and drab looking most of the time is intentional. The thing that kinda bothers me is that it's shot on digital cameras and they add layer of film grain in post. Now I'm a fan of film grain. But the grain they add is very fine to the point where the bitrate is not high enough to properly display that. Gives many scenes a softer look, especially on solid colored walls where instead of a fine layer of grain it becomes this mosquito mesh kinda looking thing in the background.

BumRush

So the way Amazon handles shows that are encoded with Dolby Vision and HDR10 is interesting. It seems how it works (at least for LG TV) is if you use the Amazon App on the LG OLED TV the show will default to Dolby Vision over HDR10. The only way HDR10 shows up is if the device doesn't offer Dolby Vision. I tested this out and it seemed to be true with Bosch. Season 1 is just HDR10 but Season 2 is HDR10 and Dolby Vision. On the Amazon App on my LG OLED I get Dolby Vision to kick in. If I use the Amazon App on XB1S then I get HDR10 to work with the show. You don't get to choose.

Also, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how Web OS runs on the LG OLED. I figured it would be trash but I find it quite useful. I picked up an optical cable to run from the TV to the receiver so I can run streaming Dolby Vision content from tv apps and still get 5.1.

Oh man, it would have been nice to flip back and forth between the two for preference reasons

I guess the overall look with it being low contrast and drab looking most of the time is intentional. The thing that kinda bothers me is that it's shot on digital cameras and they add layer of film grain in post. Now I'm a fan of film grain. But the grain they add is very fine to the point where the bitrate is not high enough to properly display that. Gives many scenes a softer look, especially on solid colored walls where instead of a fine layer of grain it becomes this mosquito mesh kinda looking thing in the background.

It's funny that they even bothered retrofitting HDR, I can't believe for a second it was natively filmed, just a really bad advert for HDR. When I first saw it on an HDR edge lit, I thought it was my TV partly, and I was gutted ha, but I've got a FALD now and it's just as bad.

So I'm in the market for a 55" oled. Is it still possible to get a 2016 model and price match it at one of those sites with Discover or something? And where do I even go about getting one of them, only see the c7 on the Best Buy website.

Also, the 2016s are basically the same as the 2017s, right?

So I'm in the market for a 55" oled. Is it still possible to get a 2016 model and price match it at one of those sites with Discover or something? And where do I even go about getting one of them, only see the c7 on the Best Buy website.

Also, the 2016s are basically the same as the 2017s, right?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...MIgMnvieyI1QIVVrXACh1AxQd3EAQYASABEgLzUfD_BwE

Yup, they're basically the same.

Not sure on the credit card price matching stuff.

Dosia

Yeah it's a bummer. The day time scenes look incredible, even in 1080p, but night time banding is a bit disappointing

You may have a bad panel. Per AVS it sounds like it is still quite the lottery to get a screen with minimal banding. Quite a few users have been returning until they get a good one. Check out the C7 thread there for more details.

Pasedo

The Sammy QLED TVs are the biggest ripoff going right now in TVs. In many areas, the Q7 is actually measurably inferior to even last year's excellent (and cheap) Samsung KS8000 Series TV.

As for independent testing, your timing couldn't be better as the most famous TV comparison in the world just happened yesterday

http://www.avsforum.com/ce-week-2017-annual-tv-shootout-results-lg-g7-oled-wins/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...on-event-will-nyc-july-12-july-13-2017-a.html

the LG G7 OLED was the overall winner and beat the Samsung Q9 flagship."QLED

P.S. If you don't believe HDTVtest.co.uk and/or rtings.com results then I got nothing for you. Go ahead and overpay for a Samsung QLED and be happy, because ignorance is bliss.

Yeh still dont know man. What if they were paid off to use content which favoured oled or the oled screens were calibrated better. Any of these things could very easily tip results one way or the other. There could also be biases by the judges and the events crew who favour one tech over the other so they push their agenda of progressing oled development by ensuring all the right conditions are in place to make oled shine and ensuring the strengths of lcd advancement isnt being displayed to its fullest. Say you rigged it for qled by having an organiser use content that displays hdr content with very bright scenes, picks a video where it minimises bloom from the edge lit panel and ensures theres a fair amount of lighting in the room. Wouldn't people then say the qled looks better than the oled? Trust no one but what you see with your own eyes i say.

BumRush

You may have a bad panel. Per AVS it sounds like it is still quite the lottery to get a screen with minimal banding. Quite a few users have been returning until they get a good one. Check out the C7 thread there for more details.

Again, I'd probably test that theory out with something other than GoT streaming, as it's (anecdotally) notorious for having disastrous dark scenes.

Lima

Yeh still dont know man. What if they were paid off to use content which favoured oled or the oled screens were calibrated better. Any of these things could very easily tip results one way or the other. There could also be biases by the judges and the events crew who favour one tech over the other so they push their agenda of progressing oled development by ensuring all the right conditions are in place to make oled shine and ensuring the strengths of lcd advancement isnt being displayed to its fullest. Say you rigged it for qled by having an organiser use content that displays hdr content with very bright scenes, picks a video where it minimises bloom from the edge lit panel and ensures theres a fair amount of lighting in the room. Wouldn't people then say the qled looks better than the oled? Trust no one but what you see with your own eyes i say.

tinfoilhat.jpg

Top Bottom