• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Atmos is not gonna come. We were almost there.

yeah I was trying to find write ups day of announcement but must have missed that detail.

I can keep using ARC from the C7, but was really hoping to find a box to alleviate having to use TV apps.

The search continues I guess.

Picked up a 203 last night. Guess that will need to hold me over for now!

Weevilone

https://ce-pro.eu/2017/09/apple-tv-4k-lacks-dolby-atmos-feature-dolby-vision/

honestly?

that's a deal breaker for me. maybe consider it if/when they update it to add the functionality, but that's a no for me dog.

I haven't kept up with the thread well, but the ATV 4k also doesn't do 24Hz output. Have read some things suggesting the 2016 LG OLED displays can't do Dolby Vision at 60Hz, which is what the ATV outputs, even if you can live with the 3:2 pulldown and/or frame rate trickery.

This whole thing might be a swing and a miss for most people that actually own a DV display.

As a side note, I went thru my Apple movie content last night to delete stuff I want to re-download b/c a lot of it was 720p from early days settings. I found 7 movies that are gone from my library, as in they were downloaded but can't be downloaded again b/c they don't show in the "cloud". Most are available for purchase, but it's a newer version or something. Yay for our digital future. I know Vudu users have the same problem. I'm optimistic that Apple will help, but if I hadn't downloaded all my movies (which most don't) then I wouldn't even know.

e90Mark

yeah I was trying to find write ups day of announcement but must have missed that detail.

I can keep using ARC from the C7, but was really hoping to find a box to alleviate having to use TV apps.

Oppo? Great piece of hardware. Really like mine. Just wish I didn't pay retail for it, because it's expensive lol.

My box right now will continue to be the Shield. Still hoping that Nvidia can pull off DV with it.

Not as big of a deal for me, but yeah, that sucks.

Yeah I wouldn't have cared before either, but we closed on a house and I'm in the middle of designing the HT layout and planning to do 5.1.4 as of right now, so I'll take Atmos wherever I can get it (even though I've heard nothing but really great things about the updated Dolby Surround processing).

I haven't kept up with the thread well, but the ATV 4k also doesn't do 24Hz output. Have read some things suggesting the LG OLED displays can't do Dolby Vision at 60Hz, which is what the ATV outputs, even if you can live with the 3:2 pulldown and/or frame rate trickery.

This whole thing might be a swing and a miss for most people that actually own a DV display.

As a side note, I went thru my Apple movie content last night to delete stuff I want to re-download b/c a lot of it was 720p from early days settings. I found 7 movies that are gone from my library, as in they were downloaded but can't be downloaded again b/c they don't show in the "cloud". Most are available for purchase, but it's a newer version or something. Yay for our digital future. I know Vudu users have the same problem. I'm optimistic that Apple will help, but if I hadn't downloaded all my movies (which most don't) then I wouldn't even know.

You have a source to cite for that? Seems like a really, really odd omission.

Oppo? Great piece of hardware. Really like mine. Just wish I didn't pay retail for it, because it's expensive lol.

My box right now will continue to be the Shield. Still hoping that Nvidia can pull off DV with it.

Yes, the Oppo. Finally sold my 83 on Amazon. It won't come out of the box for a bit as we're moving, but I'm really excited to finally watch Planet Earth 2 =)

Weevilone

You have a source to cite for that? Seems like a really, really odd omission.

Someone e-mailed Eddie Cue about it and got a response. I'll dig it up.

Link

My comments regarding how LG will handle it were taken from the LG and Oppo 203 threads on AVS. I won't dig for that b/c it's speculation anyways, I believe.

e90Mark

Yes, the Oppo. Finally sold my 83 on Amazon. It won't come out of the box for a bit as we're moving, but I'm really excited to finally watch Planet Earth 2 =)

I'm still on like the 2nd disc for PE2, but it's definitely reference material.

I have quite a few movies in UHD now, now that I think about it.

I'm still on like the 2nd disc for PE2, but it's definitely reference material.

I have quite a few movies in UHD now, now that I think about it.

Any other reference discs you'd recommend?

I've only picked up that one and Guardians 2 in anticipation of getting the 203. I'll probably hold off on most action movies until I have the full atmos system up and running in the next month or two

So while I don't have a HDR capable console yet I can watch a few HDR videos from Gamersyde on my B6. I thought it would be nice to compare a HDR Forza 7 video with the playable demo that isn't HDR for me.

So what would be the ideal HDR settings on the TV? I went for HDR Bright, put Sharpness at 15, Colour to 50 and Colour temperature to w25, all those extra things like dynamic contrast off. That about right? How it's "meant" to look? :)

e90Mark

Any other reference discs you'd recommend?

I've only picked up that one and Guardians 2 in anticipation of getting the 203. I'll probably hold off on most action movies until I have the full atmos system up and running in the next month or two

Guardians 2 is a good way to show off HDR. Very colorful.
Same with Lego Batman. Not sure of the Lego Movie, I have it in HD, didn't bother to upgrade.

The Revenant is just so sharp. Long movie, worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
Mad Max Fury Road - Good HDR and Atmos.
The Martian would be good too.

I have a 5.2.2 Atmos setup. Unless Marantz updates their slimline to somehow fit 9 amps, this is as far as I'm going.

ElNino

I generally do the same, but in this case I find the apps on the B7 (Netflix and Amazon Video) at least to be really good, so I don't use any of my external devices there. The Netflix in particular is basically always ready to go and is playing a movie before most of my other devices are even powered on and the app opened.

Upstairs on my 1080p plasma though, I have a 4th gen Apple TV setup for Netflix.

ToD_

Dolby Vision at 2160p60 does not work on the 2016 OLEDs, but does appear to work on the 2017 models.

Below is a person trying Mass Effect Andromeda with the output set to 2160p60. Unfortunately he doesn't show gameplay, but what he shows is not possible on the 2016 models (based on the comments).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5DiQYjlwQ

I'm tempted to buy ME:A to make sure, but it would be a bit of an expensive test.

Weevilone

Sorry, meant the bolded part of your post. LG sets not handling both 24hz and 60hz DV.

E: A quick google. Are you referring specifically to the X6 gen OLEDs?

It's very possible since that's what I have. I can't find the thread I was reading and got sidetracked with work, damnit!

molnizzle

Does the Xbox One S still have the black crush from the launch era units? I've been thinking about getting one primarily for 4K Blu-ray playback but I had forgotten about the RGB issues. That would kind of defeat the purpose of it.

Fess

So Sony lowered the UVP for the xe9305 again, from 2699,2299,to 2099 for the 55". Tempted to buy it now for € 1900,- My guess it's going down to 1600 at the end (March 2018)

Edit: ^^ Dolby Vision. I would go with the XE93 because of DV, better blacks, peak brightness, lower lag (in 4k).
Aha thanks! Didn't know the xe90/x900e had less features I just thought it wasn't quite as bright.
Sony xe93 + Apple TV 4K seems like a perfect start while waiting for the Xbox One X to arrive. I think I'll jump in! It's still too expensive but so are all 4K TVs right now.

Happen to have Zelda? Kinda interested how well Switch scales to OLED.

Believe me it looks stunning, these do it no justice

IMG_5556.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

e90Mark

Does the Xbox One S still have the black crush from the launch era units? I've been thinking about getting one primarily for 4K Blu-ray playback but I had forgotten about the RGB issues. That would kind of defeat the purpose of it.

Yes, gamma is still messed up. Not worth it for primarily 4K playback. Surely the X will have the same problem.

Guardians 2 is a good way to show off HDR. Very colorful.
Same with Lego Batman. Not sure of the Lego Movie, I have it in HD, didn't bother to upgrade.

The Revenant is just so sharp. Long movie, worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
Mad Max Fury Road - Good HDR and Atmos.
The Martian would be good too.

I have a 5.2.2 Atmos setup. Unless Marantz updates their slimline to somehow fit 9 amps, this is as far as I'm going.

I will definitely need to check out Mad Max once I get the Atmos system installed

I generally do the same, but in this case I find the apps on the B7 (Netflix and Amazon Video) at least to be really good, so I don't use any of my external devices there. The Netflix in particular is basically always ready to go and is playing a movie before most of my other devices are even powered on and the app opened.

Upstairs on my 1080p plasma though, I have a 4th gen Apple TV setup for Netflix.

Yeah I don't mind them, but you're technically getting lossy Atmos using ARC so the hope was to have a device that would both pass DV and Atmos from a box, allowing for uncompressed Atmos. It's a niche concern, but It'd still be nice.

Dolby Vision at 2160p60 does not work on the 2016 OLEDs, but does appear to work on the 2017 models.

Below is a person trying Mass Effect Andromeda with the output set to 2160p60. Unfortunately he doesn't show gameplay, but what he shows is not possible on the 2016 models (based on the comments).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5DiQYjlwQ

I'm tempted to buy ME:A to make sure, but it would be a bit of an expensive test.

A word to the wise; I think the last time that they patched the game, they broke something with HDR/DV so you might not be able to test at all. I stopped following it after the first time i tried DV.

that said I've seen it for $20 recently so you wouldn't be out much money

e90Mark

It's mind blowing that stuff like this doesn't get fixed.

I guess it's intended for the games. If they were only going to watch movies every now and then, sure, but I can't recommend Xbox as primarily a 4K player.

Better off putting the $200 into a dedicated one.

Yes, gamma is still messed up. Not worth it for primarily 4K playback. Surely the X will have the same problem.

Oh, dang. That counts out the Xbox then. I'm about to finally make the 4k jump and was planning on getting the S, but that's completely out the door now. For some reason, I thought that issue was taken care since many reviews don't mention it.

e90Mark

Oh, dang. That counts out the Xbox then. I'm about to finally make the 4k jump and was planning on getting the S, but that's completely out the door now. For some reason, I thought that issue was taken care since many reviews don't mention it.

If you're wanting to buy one for primarily 4k playback, can't recommend it as I've said above, but if it's an every now and then thing.. the value proposition is there.

I have had the One S for a period of time before I upgraded to an Oppo 203 and the difference is there. Not saying you need to spend that much, though, as there's a handful of $200 players out there that will be better.

Beach Camera has the OLED65B7A for $2399. Almost bought one myself (I'd use the 90 day price protection on my CC to get up to $500 back when Black Friday hits; I'm guessing $1900 might actually be in reach). Then I realized I'm on vacation the month of October and the set may not even arrive before I leave. Guess I'll probably order one the last week of my vacation. Nice problem to have, I know, and the X1X launches Nov. 7 so that works out well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electron...ra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV-HDMI-BUNDLE-/172871765027

Ashhong

Beach Camera has the OLED65B7A for $2399. Almost bought one myself (I'd use the 90 day price protection on my CC to get up to $500 back when Black Friday hits; I'm guessing $1900 might actually be in reach). Then I realized I'm on vacation the month of October and the set may not even arrive before I leave. Guess I'll probably order one the last week of my vacation. Nice problem to have, I know, and the X1X launches Nov. 7 so that works out well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electron...ra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV-HDMI-BUNDLE-/172871765027

For what it's worth, Beach got my order out next day and it was delivered by FedEx in like a week

And be careful with buying stuff with free items, even something as small as an HDMI cable. It could ruin your price match. I'm sure if you called them and did an order for just the TV it would be the same price or less and they'd be more than happy to do it.

Kyoufu

So what is the best (future proof, picture quality, hdr) 4k Blu Ray player on the market?

The best answer I can give you is that at CES 2018 any current player on the market will be deemed obsolete in terms of "future proof" features. Dolby Vision will be in more players and HDR10+ will be a thing as well. Maybe they'll even support HDMI 2.1?

wege12

The best answer I can give you is that at CES 2018 any current player on the market will be deemed obsolete in terms of "future proof" features. Dolby Vision will be in more players and HDR10+ will be a thing as well. Maybe they'll even support HDMI 2.1?

Good point but I'm in the market right now for a 4k player. So I just need to one which payer on the market now is considered the best with the most features?

I haven't kept up with the thread well, but the ATV 4k also doesn't do 24Hz output. Have read some things suggesting the LG OLED displays can't do Dolby Vision at 60Hz, which is what the ATV outputs, even if you can live with the 3:2 pulldown and/or frame rate trickery.

Well now I'm worried about getting the Apple TV. Does this mean we won't be able to watch Dolby Vision content on our OLEDs through the new Apple TV?

ApharmdX

Banned

Yeah, I noticed it watching Wonder Woman on UHD Blu-ray the other night. The Xbox's output is not likely to get fixed any time soon even though it is incorrect. Why MS keeps it like that, I have no idea. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a standalone UHD BR player, personally.

J-P

Neo Member
So is the new B6 update the one that screws up HDR game mode and black levels? Getting the prompt to update now every time I turn on the TV. So pissed.

wege12

So is the new B6 update the one that screws up HDR game mode and black levels? Getting the prompt to update now every time I turn on the TV. So pissed.

Wait what? I just updated my B6. What are the issues in detail and can you roll back firmwares?

Ashhong

I think the B6 was the least affected, but still somewhat. There’s an LG oled thread around here that has a huge discussion on it

Yeah, I noticed it watching Wonder Woman on UHD Blu-ray the other night. The Xbox's output is not likely to get fixed any time soon even though it is incorrect. Why MS keeps it like that, I have no idea. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a standalone UHD BR player, personally.

There's no black crush on my OG X1 and 2008 Pioneer Kuro. Verified using Digital Video Essentials Blu Ray test patterns.

Anarion07

I was just looking at the LG player but have read many reviews saying it is obnoxiously loud.

I bought the Sony UBP X800. Looks great and is very quiet.
Didn't buy the LG for the exact same reason, the loudness reviews.
Also, DV support got introduced via an update but apparently they took the update down again.

e90Mark

Well now I'm worried about getting the Apple TV. Does this mean we won't be able to watch Dolby Vision content on our OLEDs through the new Apple TV?

I'll have one on Friday and I'll let you know. Gonna go back and edit 2016 in there.

According to The Verge review,

"If your TV supports 60Hz HDR10, but only 30Hz Dolby Vision (like 2016 LG OLEDs), the Apple TV will pick HDR10, even though HDR10 looks worse than Dolby Vision. Apple told me that's because it wants the interface and games to run as smoothly as possible; it's found that the interface judders at 30Hz. So you'll get worse HDR but a smoother interface, all because the Apple TV won't switch modes."

Yikes.

Review goes on to say

"Apple told me that the lack of Atmos isn't a hardware limitation, and that support is on the roadmap."
Sounds promising, but I'll believe it when I see it. Then I can eat crow, lmao.

Interesting....

The other issue though is the apps themselves. E.g. try C7 does DV and Atmos through the TV app but I don’t believe most devices that currently support DV have apps that have been updated to actually stream it. As in, the hardware is capable but Netflix hasn’t update their actual android apps to use DV; they’re still on HDR10. At least from some basic research anyway.

And be careful with buying stuff with free items, even something as small as an HDMI cable. It could ruin your price match. I'm sure if you called them and did an order for just the TV it would be the same price or less and they'd be more than happy to do it.

That's a great tip! Thanks. I knew that, once, and forgot.

Weevilone

According to The Verge review,

Yikes.

Review goes on to say

Looks like mine will go back. I'm not paying $200 for a streaming box that can't output at the native rate of film content. Good lord, how hard is it to make it switch modes? I have a pair arriving tomorrow, so will make the trek to the mall for a return.

Top Bottom