• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

TheBear

I recommend setting the input to PC mode for consoles, which reduces lag for all inputs (same amount as game mode) and allows for full calibration and 4:4:4 chroma. For HDR content set the picture mode to HDR Standard when in PC mode, which does get bright and looks good. Setting color temperature to W50 looks fairly close to D65. I find this a very acceptable way to play games.

This is just for the 2017 LG OLEDS. Don't use this if you have a 2016 model or other model TV, obviously.

Out of the box white balance was actually very good on my C7 using the recommended modes (ISF Dark, Warm 2). Made some small adjustments using a meter and HCFR.

Would you mind expanding on this a bit more? What is 4:4:4 chroma? How do you adjust colour temperature?
I'm playing Switch using PC input on game mode which just seems to have the best colour but still looks a touch washed out, but I don't know if that is just the resolution. ISF Dark looks too dark and I can't adjust the warmness either

Thanks for the advice

Ashhong

Yes, a small bend but symmetric, it does look like its designed that way. Actually I called LG about it and they confirmed it. So no need to worry, you should notice if there's any real problem with the picture.

Haha posted my question on AVS forum, first response was if I was sure about what model I had bought (refererenced to last year curved model).

Not sure we are talking about the same kind of bend. Do you mean curved like a curved tv? Mine is curved the other way, meaning the top half of the tv bends back just a slight amount. Really looks like shipping issue but doesn't affect the picture at least

Crowza

O. Well that sucks.

It is a major difference from when HD was originally released in the US, since streaming services actually care about 4k. I can't tell you how dry the well was when 1080i CRT sets were released back in the day. We eventually got one channel in HD (Discovery)... But, I know many people that made the switch to satellite, specifically for the fact they led the HD charge.

Now, for the past couple of years, at least Netflix, Amazon, etc. have been filming/releasing their original content in 4k. Not that 4k streaming is the best option compared to 4k discs (which also lag at this point), but it's a huge difference than when HD was first released.

There is more content for 4k available now than I thought there would be at this point, based on past experiences. If cable and satellite providers want to lag behind, they will just continue to become irrelevant to the YouTube generation...

What would be the best tv for the following budget?

Either £1500 for a 55" or £2000 for a 65".

I keep looking at the LG OLEDs and they seem like the best tv around? Quite worried about the screen burn in though?

Main use will be Xbox One X and Sky Q

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Not sure we are talking about the same kind of bend. Do you mean curved like a curved tv? Mine is curved the other way, meaning the top half of the tv bends back just a slight amount. Really looks like shipping issue but doesn't affect the picture at least

May have misunderstood you, we're talking about different things. Yeah mine is very slightly curved (like the curved models) and it's visible when I'm looking from the side at the upper frame.

I keep looking at the LG OLEDs and they seem like the best tv around? Quite worried about the screen burn in though?

Xbox One X will likely have features limited to HDMI 2.1. Hold off for 2018 sets if you can afford to wait.

Else, find a retailer that allows you to test out sets. I was absolutely sure beforehand that I would love the OLEDs, but was ultimately surprised by how great some of the 2017 non-OLED sets are.

Very.co.uk are selling the B7 for £1699! Also if you take up 12 months interest free with a 10% off code, we're talking £1500!!

holygeesus

Banned
You're safe as a B6 owner, it's the C/E/G 2016 models plagued with the shockingly dim HDR game mode.

Wait, what? The B6 definitely has dim HDR Game mode, at least in the UK and Europe. The USA had an original HDR Game mode that was bright, but the screen had tears - the fix introduced the dim HDR Game mode there too.

BMOFTW

I just got a Samsung KU6000 for my Nintendo Switch and PS4 . Any Settings recomendation for gaming mode? Thanks dear Gaffers

Wait, what? The B6 definitely has dim HDR Game mode, at least in the UK and Europe. The USA had an original HDR Game mode that was bright, but the screen had tears - the fix introduced the dim HDR Game mode there too.

HDR Game mode on the C/E/G sets is much dimmer though. On the B6 it is only a little bit dimmer than HDR Standard.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I hate the way an HDR game running makes the PS4 interface look like crap when you switch to it.
The blue goes dull, and the white text goes grey.

Also when you play HDR 4K test content on the LG YouTube app some of it causes the HDR icon to appear in the top right smf some doesn't. Why is that ? If YouTube can't play at original 4K is the downsampled video not HDR anymore?

Honestly this HDR thing is messing up everything.

When you change tv picture settings for HDR they may not be what you want for non HDR. When you play more than one source through an AV receiver your tv settings must apply to that entire AV receiver.

Are you going through a receiver?

Its here

Sony 65a1e

IMG_5504.JPG

Its here

Sony 65a1e

Awesome, just recently got the 55. Loving it so far.

Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is probably the best thing i've seen on the series side. If you have a PS4 Pro, both Horizon Zero Dawn and either UC4 or UC LL look incredible.

Agreed. These are some great first things to try out, plus Rachet.

If or when you've got a player I'd also suggest trying out John Wick 2's 4K blu-ray with that OLED. Even just the opening part for example looks so good, like the entire night opening battle and the lighting of his glass-heavy house in the pouring rain. :)

Haint

I recommend setting the input to PC mode for consoles, which reduces lag for all inputs (same amount as game mode) and allows for full calibration and 4:4:4 chroma. For HDR content set the picture mode to HDR Standard when in PC mode, which does get bright and looks good. Setting color temperature to W50 looks fairly close to D65. I find this a very acceptable way to play games.

This is just for the 2017 LG OLEDS. Don't use this if you have a 2016 model or other model TV, obviously.

Out of the box white balance was actually very good on my C7 using the recommended modes (ISF Dark, Warm 2). Made some small adjustments using a meter and HCFR.

Would you mind expanding on this a bit more? What is 4:4:4 chroma? How do you adjust colour temperature?
I'm playing Switch using PC input on game mode which just seems to have the best colour but still looks a touch washed out, but I don't know if that is just the resolution. ISF Dark looks too dark and I can't adjust the warmness either

Thanks for the advice

My understanding was in HDR, the PC label is no longer low lag. So HDR Standard mode would have ~100+ms of lag. You have to use the "Game" preset in HDR. PC label works fine in SDR though, same lag as Game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
My understanding was in HDR, the PC label is no longer low lag. So HDR Standard mode would have ~100+ms of lag. You have to use the "Game" preset in HDR. PC label works fine in SDR though, same lag as Game.
Rtings told me the opposite on twitter

torontoml

Watching Wonder Woman 4k on my B7 and during the camp fire scene
just before they go to the front
, the black bars were occasionally flashing with the fire. What would cause that or is it likely just my eyes?

III-V

, the black bars were occasionally flashing with the fire. What would cause that or is it likely just my eyes?

Could be backlight

You could put some cardboard or similar over the image and re-watch the scene only watching black bars to test if it is just your eyes.

ElNino

I believe since the 3.6 firmware, all HDR modes will have the ~21ms input lag when the input icon is set to PC. I know personally, I have my B7 set to HDR Cinema and using Everybody's Golf, the input lag is low enough to consistently hit the swing meter target. Certainly much easier than if it was 100+ms.

Kyoufu

Could be a player issue. Or the disc.

Awesome, just recently got the 55. Loving it so far.

Agreed. These are some great first things to try out, plus Rachet.

If or when you've got a player I'd also suggest trying out John Wick 2's 4K blu-ray with that OLED. Even just the opening part for example looks so good, like the entire night opening battle and the lighting of his glass-heavy house in the pouring rain. :)

Totally spaced on ratchet. Yes ratchet too.

What are the chances the 55inch x900e drops to $999 around black Friday? The 49inch has hit $999 recently but I was thinking if I hold out for two months maybe I could get the 55.

Are you going through a receiver?

No, the receiver gets sound via hdmi-arc but the PS4 pro is connected directly to the input on the LG set up as GAME.

When the game mode is HDR, and HDR shows as an icon in the corner of the LG, the PS4 interface is not as vibrant. the blue isn't as deep, the white writing is no longer white. I much prefer the interface when an HDR game isn't running.

TBH I don't even feel the HDR mode of Everybody's golf is worth the effort to select. The shiny things like the reflective surfaces look just as shiny without it on, but the colours overall don't look as vibrant.

torontoml

Could be a player issue. Or the disc.
How would I determine that? It's a Panny UB900, so it's a good player.

It definitely is flashing though, not the whole thing at same time but different rectangular sections.

I guess I probably have to wait for other people to try the movie out?

Ashhong

How would I determine that? It's a Panny UB900, so it's a good player.

It definitely is flashing though, not the whole thing at same time but different rectangular sections.

I guess I probably have to wait for other people to try the movie out?

Most stores would let you exchange for the same movie if you tell them it's broken. You could start there

e90Mark

I never get anything early, but I do have WW coming tomorrow. Can you give a time stamp? I'll check it out.

Have a LG C6 and Oppo 203.

Hi Guys, can the C7 be downgraded? friend is having awful issues on the latest firmware with the hdr game mode being absolute rubbish (for me, its fine, somehow)

Check out a couple of posts above this, it's about gaming hdr settings on the 2017 oled. Long story short, put it in pc mode

Yeah, he tried that, and we have run our sets side by side. Even with both sets in standard mode, same settings, all equal, his one still looks considerably dimmer than mine. tried gaming mode and mine looks fantastic while his looks borderline awful (identical firmware, both running the same ps4 pro, switching in between hdmi 1)

So not downgradeable then?

Yeah, he tried that, and we have run our sets side by side. Even with both sets in standard mode, same settings, all equal, his one still looks considerably dimmer than mine. tried gaming mode and mine looks fantastic while his looks borderline awful (identical firmware, both running the same ps4 pro, switching in between hdmi 1)

So not downgradeable then?
Hmm. My own C7 looked awful in HDR Game, but pretty good in other modes.

I think it's downgradeable like the 2016 sets, but I don't know much about that. Good luck

Schlomo

I can confirm this for my B7. This, plus the color banding issue make PC mode unusable for HDR gaming.

Xbox One X will likely have features limited to HDMI 2.1. Hold off for 2018 sets if you can afford to wait.

Else, find a retailer that allows you to test out sets. I was absolutely sure beforehand that I would love the OLEDs, but was ultimately surprised by how great some of the 2017 non-OLED sets are.

Is this the general consensus? Was looking to get a 65+ 4KTV to go with my XB1X in november.

Top Bottom