• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

aravuus

On my B7 PC mode gives the same input lag as game mode, even in HDR. No color banding issue here.

Like 99% sure this is the case for my B7, too. Quickly tried it with Lost Legacy last week and input lag was unnoticeable in all HDR presets and I didn't notice any banding.

Schlomo

Confirm what? And what color banding issue? On newer firmware too?

Please elaborate

Confirm that PC mode doesn't ensure low input lag in HDR mode. Easy to check if you have a PC connected and turn on HDR for the desktop because the mouse cursor will have noticable lag.

The color banding issue in PC HDR mode was reported when the 7 series came out, and for me it still hasn't been fixed. It's easy to spot if you start an HDR game and look at the sky and then switch between PC mode and other modes. PC will have much worse banding.

I'll have to check my firmware, but I installed the new one everytime I was prompted.

On my B7 PC mode gives the same input lag as game mode, even in HDR. No color banding issue here.

This is weird. What nogoodnamesleft said about comparing two sets side-by-side is also worrying. How can these issues be so different between sets of the same model and with the same firmware?

more importantly it will look washed out

Well Growing tired of the PDP remote

recoemned alternative universal romotes for controlling the tv and PS4 ?

not my Phone

MazeHaze

Banned
Confirm that PC mode doesn't ensure low input lag in HDR mode. Easy to check if you have a PC connected and turn on HDR for the desktop because the mouse cursor will have noticable lag.

The color banding issue in PC HDR mode was reported when the 7 series came out, and for me it still hasn't been fixed. It's easy to spot if you start an HDR game and look at the sky and then switch between PC mode and other modes. PC will have much worse banding.

I'll have to check my firmware, but I installed the new one everytime I was prompted.

This is weird. What nogoodnamesleft said about comparing two sets side-by-side is also worrying. How can these issues be so different between sets of the same model and with the same firmware?
Yeah the input lag in PC mode with HDR is definitely low. I have my PC hooked up to it and anything above 40ms feels gross with a mouse IMO. It feels identical to me.

aravuus

Yeah the input lag in PC mode with HDR is definitely low. I have my PC hooked up to it and anything above 40ms feels gross with a mouse IMO. It feels identical to me.

Yup, same here. HDR Vivid, HDR Standard, doesn't matter, it's very low, probably around the 20-30ms range.

I'll try to spot color banding with Lost Legacy later if I care enough to do it.

I had really bad banding on my C7 in PC mode in HDR when I had my PS4 Pro set to 2160p420. Setting to 2160p RGB took care of that. To the point above, it was very obvious when looking at the sky in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Fess

Its here

Sony 65a1e

IMG_5504.JPG
I saw that at a store this weekend. OMG, insane picture quality! But OMG,€4600! o_O

I think I'm going with a Sony LED instead, the xe90/x900e or xe93/x930e, nearly half the price of the A1E and both still had amazing picture quality.

holygeesus

Banned
Like 99% sure this is the case for my B7, too. Quickly tried it with Lost Legacy last week and input lag was unnoticeable in all HDR presets and I didn't notice any banding.

30fps titles aren't the best way to test for input lag. Those gaming on PCs with a mouse will likely notice it more.

I saw that at a store this weekend. OMG, insane picture quality! But OMG,€4600! o_O

I think I'm going with a Sony LED instead, the xe90/x900e or xe93/x930e, nearly half the price of the A1E and both still had amazing picture quality.

I actually got it for €3000 as a refurbished model from Sony directly
Turns out it was literally a grade a store return and arrived to me completely new in the box with 6 years warranty !
Crazy

It cost me less than the 55" in uk prices which is
£2999 for 55
£4500 for 65

Fess

I actually got it for €3000 as a refurbished model from Sony directly
Turns out it was literally a grade a store return and arrived to me completely new in the box with 6 years warranty !
Crazy

It cost me less than the 55" in uk prices which is
£2999 for 55
£4500 for 65
Haha congrats! I'm not at aaaall jelaous! ;S

aravuus

30fps titles aren't the best way to test for input lag. Those gaming on PCs with a mouse will likely notice it more.

I know, it was more of a "pretty sure it was fine" sort of an observation. The input lag you'd normally get in HDR Vivid or Standard mode would be immediately obvious even with 30fps games.

I posted above that I also tried it on PC and it was perfectly fine. Could probably play CS on the TV or something with m+kb no problem.

JustLynx

Some help here please

i got the lg oled b6, and i saw all this talk about the latest firmware ruining the hdr and black levels,
up until now, I had the 04.30.50 firmware, but now i got a prompt asking to upgrade to 05.30.03.

the question is, should i upgrade or stick with the current firmware?

Adobe

I can't make up my mind about these two tv's from Sony.

- 65 inch Sony x900e

- 55 inch Sony x930e

I've seen both TV's in real life and the 930e is much brighter and a better looking tv. I sit around 2/3 meters away from the screen. Should I go for bigger screen size and no DV and less bright or smaller screen with a superior screen and DV? both TV's are around the same price (1800 euro)

Theonik

For 2m you can use both but there is a big difference between 2 and 3 meters here. With 2m you might just do with the 55. For 3m I'd strongly recommend the 65. But a better TV is better than a bigger one. Is the 65" 93e a possibility or is the budget pushing it?

Adobe

For 2m you can use both but there is a big difference between 2 and 3 meters here. With 2m you might just do with the 55. For 3m I'd strongly recommend the 65. But a better TV is better than a bigger one. Is the 65" 93e a possibility or is the budget pushing it?

The price jump from 55" to 65" 93e is almost 1000 euros here (2999 euros). a bit too much for me!

Caayn

Wheres the Cheap Chinese version ?
That price certainly bodes well for HDMI 2.1 products.....:(
It probably isn't cheap to produce cables with the necessary bandwidth. Time will tell, I don't find it strange that the first wave of cables will be more expensive than we're currently used to with HDMI 2.0
If it's really HDMI 2.1 it should go up to 10K, this cable only does 4.
That's indeed the important question here. Just how close can this cable get to providing the full 48Gb/s bandwidth?

- 65 inch Sony x900e

- 55 inch Sony x930e

I've seen both TV's in real life and the 930e is much brighter and a better looking tv. I sit around 2/3 meters away from the screen. Should I go for bigger screen size and no DV and less bright or smaller screen with a superior screen and DV? both TV's are around the same price (1800 euro)
I'd wait for Sony's 2018 models. I loved the X900E, and they finally worked out the kinks on Android TV, but when playing HDR content, the chipset just couldn't handle it. Changing volume takes like 5 seconds to register. Trust me, that gets old fast.

Next year should see a better chipset, HDMI 2.1, and HDR output more in line with the 930 at the price point of the 900.

If you can't wait, even for the 930 to drop lower, get the 65 inch. With 4k hdr, bigger is better.

It probably isn't cheap to produce cables with the necessary bandwidth. Time will tell, I don't find it strange that the first wave of cables will be more expensive than we're currently used to with HDMI 2.0
That's indeed the important question here. Just how close can this cable get to providing the full 48Gb/s bandwidth?
I'm not knocking it, just saying, that's quite a bit of cash for a 2m non-premium cable :)

Adobe

I'd wait for Sony's 2018 models. I loved the X900E, and they finally worked out the kinks on Android TV, but when playing HDR content, the chipset just couldn't handle it. Changing volume takes like 5 seconds to register. Trust me, that gets old fast.

Next year should see a better chipset, HDMI 2.1, and HDR output more in line with the 930 at the price point of the 900.

If you can't wait, even for the 930 to drop lower, get the 65 inch. With 4k hdr, bigger is better.

is this a known problem with the 900e? I don't know if I can wait till april/may for these new TV's

Theonik

Not to mention HDMI 2.1 hasn't been finalized yet. This is most likely some sort of type o.
The standard is effectively finalised but last I had checked there is no compliance tests yet but I could ask around and confirm.

There is nothing really special about 48Gb/s cables other than being able to be clocked at the higher speed without the SNR falling bellow the baseline.
For shorter runs of cable that's not so much of an issue.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Some help here please

i got the lg oled b6, and i saw all this talk about the latest firmware ruining the hdr and black levels,
up until now, I had the 04.30.50 firmware, but now i got a prompt asking to upgrade to 05.30.03.

the question is, should i upgrade or stick with the current firmware?

The firmware they are prompting you with is indeed the firmware that has the changes. Unless you're a hardcore picture junkie in a completely black room you will notice the changed blacks.

Klotera

is this a known problem with the 900e? I don't know if I can wait till april/may for these new TV's

I don't notice any difference in responsiveness of the UI relative to SDR vs HDR. It can be affected by the number of background apps (I always kill apps I'm not using) and certain apps handle opening the menu better than others (I have no problem with it in Netflix, but MLB.TV stops when the menu opens).

900E is still great. I wouldn't let this be the one thing that holds you back on it.

I don't notice any difference in responsiveness of the UI relative to SDR vs HDR. It can be affected by the number of background apps (I always kill apps I'm not using) and certain apps handle opening the menu better than others (I have no problem with it in Netflix, but MLB.TV stops when the menu opens).

900E is still great. I wouldn't let this be the one thing that holds you back on it.
I never kill apps. I refuse to have to kill apps on my fucking TV.

However, no matter if it was just after booting or after hours of use, Netflix HDR would slow the UI down to a crawl

900E is a great TV, but next year's models are around the corner. You can't really go wrong no matter what you decide.

Ashhong

more importantly it will look washed out

Well Growing tired of the PDP remote

recoemned alternative universal romotes for controlling the tv and PS4 ?

not my Phone

Which PDP remote? They have a new one that looks better.

All this talk about HDR game mode and issues is so disheartening. Like why do we have these problems for 1000$+ TVs? The hell?

Haint

Rtings told me the opposite on twitter

I believe since the 3.6 firmware, all HDR modes will have the ~21ms input lag when the input icon is set to PC. I know personally, I have my B7 set to HDR Cinema and using Everybody's Golf, the input lag is low enough to consistently hit the swing meter target. Certainly much easier than if it was 100+ms.

I can confirm this for my B7. This, plus the color banding issue make PC mode unusable for HDR gaming.

Yup, same here. HDR Vivid, HDR Standard, doesn't matter, it's very low, probably around the 20-30ms range.

I'll try to spot color banding with Lost Legacy later if I care enough to do it.

I tested with my mouse in Shadow Warrior 2. Input lag is definitely in the 20-30 ms range in PC mode HDR.

My comment on PC Mode HDR lag was based on HDTVTest's findings (video) with the Bodnar:

Code:
[B]This [PC] relabelling trick didn’t lower input lag in HDR, so to get a figure of 21ms, it’s necessary to enable [HDR Game] mode where [Colour Gamut] could be switched from “Wide” to “Auto” for more accurate colour reproduction.[/B]

Their review appears to have been done on FW 3.5, so it's possible as Elnino mentioned that FW 3.6 fixed the issue. I suppose it's also possible there could be territorial differences (they're in the UK, RTings are US).

Which PDP remote? They have a new one that looks better.

All this talk about HDR game mode and issues is so disheartening. Like why do we have these problems for 1000$+ TVs? The hell?

3215EQA

probably the very first one or just after

have had it for some time now and wasn't able to get it to pair with the older tv ether and cant see any codes in the manual

wondering how i can Fix this

and Yes i agree with your sentiment about these tvs

Fess

- 65 inch Sony x900e

- 55 inch Sony x930e

What's DV?

I think I would've gone with the 65" TV with your viewing distance, I doubt that you'll be disappointed with the x900e considering how well it's reviewed. The x930e seems extremely good too though. Tough choice.

Btw, check out this youtuber...
This video caused OLED fans to seriously hate on him.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVcYB7NWpY
And this is the follow up video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDKEfj6Q3s

So Sony lowered the UVP for the xe9305 again, from 2699,2299,to 2099 for the 55". Tempted to buy it now for € 1900,- My guess it's going down to 1600 at the end (March 2018)

Edit: ^^ Dolby Vision. I would go with the XE93 because of DV, better blacks, peak brightness, lower lag (in 4k).

Dalex

With regards to the B7

Something I noticed with the multiple PC mode HDR standard, game etc. Where their peak brightness was as high as Non-PC mode HDR modes.

HDR standard is far brighter than PC HDR Standard.

Maybe I am wrong, I might test this case again.

It sucks that brightness itself on HDR game mode is way lower than HDR standard, I cannot really put together with peak brightness is affected. Maybe color algorithm is harder to calculate at higher peak brightness? Do we need to get another petition going here.

I am definitely looking forward to LGs next oled 2017 firmware, Youtube HDR needs to be fixed and much more

Trying to watch these videos on my 65B6 is proving to be impossible sadly...

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_xb_showcase_quantum_break_one_x-19527_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_xb_showcase_tomb_raider_on_one_x-19526_en.html

For some reason they just won't play via USB or media server for that matter.

Yet older videos from Gamersyde work fine:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_ps4_pro_4k_hdr_videos-19292_en.html

I'm assuming the new videos have some kind of codec my TV doesn't support? So much for checking out these One X videos in 4K on my TV, sigh.

With regards to the B7

Something I noticed with the multiple PC mode HDR standard, game etc. Where their peak brightness was as high as Non-PC mode HDR modes.

HDR standard is far brighter than PC HDR Standard.

Maybe I am wrong, I might test this case again.

It sucks that brightness itself on HDR game mode is way lower than HDR standard, I cannot really put together with peak brightness is affected. Maybe color algorithm is harder to calculate at higher peak brightness? Do we need to get another petition going here.

I am definitely looking forward to LGs next oled 2017 firmware, Youtube HDR needs to be fixed and much more
So many issues like this one and still many people on the last couple of pages were acting like I was making shit up when I was saying LG's OS experience has as many (or more) flaws as AndroidTV at this point.

ToD_

From what I gathered LG has acknowledged the issue, but the app developer (Google, I imagine) is responsible for fixing it. So this issue will not get fixed with an OS update since it is not related to the OS. Hopefully we'll see an updated YouTube app soon instead.

Top Bottom