• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Chitown B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Options are good. OLED might be the future, but in the present, not everyone wants to buy into its flaws

Who wants a TV on vivid show room brightness anyway? I'm a Pioneer Kuro guy. My panel has never been the brightest one out there, and I'm more than OK with that.

Smokey

Very basic questions from someone with close to no knowledge on the matter.

1. If I have the money to buy an OLED, I should, right? That offers the better image quality?

2. Is it worth sacrificing 10" by going for the LGOLED55B7A instead of a similarly priced 65X900E?

3. And lastly, If I do decide to go OLED, is it worth the extra $1000, going from the 55" to the 65" model of the LG OLED?

As someone who just got a OLED and whos previous tv was 55", go for the 65". Worth it 100%.

Who wants a TV on vivid show room brightness anyway? I'm a Pioneer Kuro guy. My panel has never been the brightest one out there, and I'm more than OK with that.

I don't. But that's what HDR does with parts of the screen, causing pretty noticeable image retention on OLED. I think it stands out that the current OLED panels weren't really designed with HDR in mind.

And as most people with a 2016 OLED are aware, dim HDR looks terrible.

Posted the below a couple of days ago but didn't get any response so thought I'd try again:

The TV in the lounge died on me at the weekend so i'm after a replacement and wondered if anyone could offer some suggestions.

Due to the alcove the tv will be going into the set can't be much wider than 92cm, so i've been loking at 43 inch screens.

Other than that I guess I want 4K HDR and budget is around £1K although it would be great if it was less than that.

TV gets about as much use gaming as it does TV/Movies.

Also, I'm in the UK.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Anarion07

I don't. But that's what HDR does with parts of the screen, causing pretty noticeable image retention on OLED. I think it stands out that the current OLED panels weren't really designed with HDR in mind.

dim HDR?

Kyoufu

Apple TV 4K review here: https://www.avforums.com/review/apple-tv-4k-hdr-media-player-streamer-review.13954

We tested the Apple TV with a Samsung Q7, an LG B7 and a JVC projector and overall the automatic setup worked correctly but there are some issues relating to the Apple TV's efforts to always deliver the highest possible format. So for example owners of 2016 LG OLEDs will find the output automatically set to 4K HDR 60Hz and if they want Dolby Vision support they will have to manually select 4K Dolby Vision 30/25/24Hz. The automatic selection of 60Hz will also cause problems with certain apps in the UK and, although Netflix looked great, NOW TV and the BBC iPlayer exhibited noticeable judder and dropped frames unless 50Hz was manually selected. The Apple TV does have a large selection for different formats from 4K Dolby Vision 60Hz down to 4K SDR 24Hz, so thankfully there's room to manually change the format to suit your needs.

I'll be passing on it until Apple figures it out.

Have a look if you can find a 43xD8005... think 43" tvs are hard to find.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

Edit: Never mind. Prices are way up for this one...

Yeah I've noticed 43'' are tough to find, I was trying to see if I could fit a 49'' into the room but it's just not possible.

I've been looking at the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW3Z78R/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XVR2Y86/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW3WTG6/

But honestly not sure if the jump in price is worth it.

This is much more difficult than I was expecting.

Would buy the first one, if the stand fits. Should be identical with the second one, what i read in the comments. Or you want Dolby Vision, last one, but at this size, idk if this makes sense.

Smokey

The dim HDR Game Mode doesn't look so hot, but in regular UHD viewing, I don't notice the dimness. I'm sure it's there relative to other displays, but other aspects of the picture make it so that doesn't even cross my mind. But the HDR Game Mode is bullshit.

LG's firmware update on the 2016 models reduced HDR Game mode brightness considerably.

I asked before but don't think I got an answer, I'm not on the latest 05.xx series firmware, but rather 04.31.20. Is the super dim HDR Game Mode a result of the latest firmware? In other words has the B6 always had a slightly dimmer HDR Game mode since it was available which is what I'm experiencing, or are folks saying that going to the 05.xx update makes it even worse?

The dim HDR Game Mode doesn't look so hot, but in regular UHD viewing, I don't notice the dimness. I'm sure it's there relative to other displays, but other aspects of the picture make it so that doesn't even cross my mind. But the HDR Game Mode is bullshit.
?
Oh, I was only talking about the Game Mode. I thought regular HDR viewing on OLED was more than bright enough.

ApharmdX

Banned
Panasonic did, but Sony still consider the ZD9 to be their flagship TV. Yep, they place it above the A1 OLED.

Which is crazy if you see the sets side-by-side. The A1E looks more premium in terms of design and it has flat-out superior IQ.

That's not true, did you not read my other post? The LCD I use can do 0.005 ANSI, that's lower than the best plasma! That's more than acceptable, granted the APL will go up when HDR is enabled but even that is around 0.017 (1300nits), I can watch HDR content with no lights on and it looks extremely black.

Which LCD is that? And 0.005 ANSI black level isn't lower than the best plasma.

MauroNL

GAF help me out please. I've had the new 2017 (EU model) Samsung UE65MU8000 for a few months now and noticed a problem with darker scenes. There seems to be some sort of halo-ing effect of some sort whenever dark scenes apear. I noticed this on all my devices like Xbox One, PS4 and my DVR. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it. Maybe my panel is faulty? I've checked all settings, turned off all other cables, with or without game mode, mulitple different (high grade) HDMI cables, full resets, direct to TV plug in without connecting to my AVR, everything!

To demonstrate my problem I have a direct feed shot of Resident Evil 6 on Xbox One (don't ask why I'm playing this awful game) and a picture I took with my phone. The above picture is what it should look like, and the below picture is what I'm seeing.
182f4f36-b635-4434-a3ilx95.png

img_20170928_194151120hx7q.jpg

As someone who just got a OLED and whos previous tv was 55", go for the 65". Worth it 100%.
Ok, thanks. I pretty much have decided to go with the 65" LG OLED.

Are the 2017 models guaranteed to come down in price once the 2018 models are announced? Is it a considerable amount?

Might wait till next year to get this years model if it's worth it.

ShinAmano

Heard the Sony Bravia Oled got a firmware update and input lag is now as good as C7...from a best buy clerk.

Any truth there? Still leaning C7.

Kyoufu

Which is crazy if you see the sets side-by-side. The A1E looks more premium in terms of design and it has flat-out superior IQ.

In HDR, the ZD9 is the winner, which is why they consider it to be their flagship. It's still the best HDR TV on the market.

dsk1210

I asked before but don't think I got an answer, I'm not on the latest 05.xx series firmware, but rather 04.31.20. Is the super dim HDR Game Mode a result of the latest firmware? In other words has the B6 always had a slightly dimmer HDR Game mode since it was available which is what I'm experiencing, or are folks saying that going to the 05.xx update makes it even worse?

04.30.?? Is the version with the best HDR game mode, I am not home just now so can't give you the exact firmware number but I will check tomorrow.

MauroNL

Have you put the TV back to factory settings? To me it looks like wrong Gamma settings but I'm no expert. Checked RGB format on the

Hope somebody with more expertise helps!

Edit: EU correct? MU9000 in the US?
Yes, I have done factory settings to no effect. Correct, I believe it is the MU9000 in the US. I think you missed something in th RGB sentence, it looks cut off?

That's not true. The Z9D will outperform the A1E in most common usecases.

In HDR, the ZD9 is the winner, which is why they consider it to be their flagship. It's still the best HDR TV on the market.

HDTV Test shootout

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...nates-latest-public-tv-shootout/#559a90b15b3e

ISF shootout

http://www.avsforum.com/ce-week-2017-annual-tv-shootout-results-lg-e7-oled-wins/

What am I missing about how the Z9D "outperforms" every other TV?

zeeaykay

Ok, thanks. I pretty much have decided to go with the 65" LG OLED.

Are the 2017 models guaranteed to come down in price once the 2018 models are announced? Is it a considerable amount?

Might wait till next year to get this years model if it's worth it.
Prices usually don't get any lower than they do in November, actually, so you don't have to wait much longer to get the best deal you can.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/LG-Elec...ved-65-Inch/product/B01CDDU0Q0?context=search

Smokey

04.30.?? Is the version with the best HDR game mode, I am not home just now so can't give you the exact firmware number but I will check tomorrow.

[04.30.77]
1. Apply the HDR Game mode.

[04.31.10]
1. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag
2. Improve the video tearing issue in HDR 4K input and Game mode setting

[04.31.15]
1. Improve the Judder issue in 60hz motion.

[04.31.20]
1. Improve the TV reboot issue while playing MLB CP contents.

[05.30.03]
1. Added notification pop up for when app is no longer supported
2. Change in background image of no signal screen
3. Change in Amazon HDR mode

So the original firmware that brought HDR Game Mode then. Looks like they improved some stuff in .10, but sounds like that was when the dimming was also introduced?

So after more than a year of following the TV market closely I pushed the button and ordered the little xe93. Hope it arrives on Saturday. To be honest my stomach turned a bit. Never bought a TV €1000+

Marmelade

It doesn't.
It's brighter than any OLED but while it has a good FALD implementation it cannot compare to OLED when it comes to blacks/contrast, its color gamut isn't as wide and its pixel response is slow even by LCD standards.
Still the best LCD you can buy though

Mrbob

Those if you with LG oled any reason why you don't just use the built in apps? These apps seem to be built for the tv. I don't have any issues running Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, it vudu through webos.

So after more than a year of following the TV market closely I pushed the button and ordered the little xe93. Hope it arrives on Saturday. To be honest my stomach turned a bit. Never bought a TV €1000+

You should be happy, it's a really good set.

Smokey

If your using the 4.31.20, that is before the dimming issue. Same one my B6 is still on.

Goes back to my question this morning then. As I just hopped into OLED, the current HDR Game Mode on my set IS noticeably dimmer than say HDR Standard or Bright. So folks on the newer one have it worse then?

I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in on it . Poster I was responding to said the original HDR Game Mode firmware was the best, but you state the dimming takes place after mine.

(ツ)_/¯

ss_lemonade

GAF help me out please. I've had the new 2017 (EU model) Samsung UE65MU8000 for a few months now and noticed a problem with darker scenes. There seems to be some sort of halo-ing effect of some sort whenever dark scenes apear. I noticed this on all my devices like Xbox One, PS4 and my DVR. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it. Maybe my panel is faulty? I've checked all settings, turned off all other cables, with or without game mode, mulitple different (high grade) HDMI cables, full resets, direct to TV plug in without connecting to my AVR, everything!

To demonstrate my problem I have a direct feed shot of Resident Evil 6 on Xbox One (don't ask why I'm playing this awful game) and a picture I took with my phone. The above picture is what it should look like, and the below picture is what I'm seeing.
182f4f36-b635-4434-a3ilx95.png

img_20170928_194151120hx7q.jpg
If you're talking about the bad gradients, then I believe that's normal unfortunately. I have the same issue with a ks9000 and it's source dependent. My older Sony bravia shows the same issue too but Sony sets have an option to clean up such artifacts which is greatly. Not sure how other TVs like OLEDs fare.

psychotron

I can understand that from an OCD perspective. I like to do that myself, but just in case Sony doesn't release a DV update, take a look at the Denon AVR-S930H. Also a $500 receiver, but ready to pass DV and HLG today.

Should be very similar to the Sony.

I bought a refurbished Denon AVR-S920W from Amazon. Was only $399, has 8 HDMI inputs and has been updated to support HDR/HLG/DV. Can’t wait to hook that bad boy up!

Kudo

Most TVs live in living rooms and people don't live in dark caves or have cinema conditions at home.

You're right but that would be incredibly stupid standard to compare high-end TVs on.
You did say "most common usecases" so in that way you're right though as that would be bright, sunny, living room with lot of noise as you mention.
But I do believe high-end products should be valued and compared in conditions that's more proper for them. I pity the soul that's going to spend that much on TV only to have it's qualities squashed by having non-optimal conditions for it.

I dunno, I played The Lost Legacy last night on my B6, and it looked pretty fucking great with hdr. And super bright in my (admittedly) dark living room.

Like, I get that you’ve been on this anti-oled rampage for a while now in this thread, but you’re kind of painting a inaccurate picture of oled TVs. Of course there are problems/issues. But there are downsides for practically every tv out there.

I dunno, I played The Lost Legacy last night on my B6, and it looked pretty fucking great with hdr. And super bright in my (admittedly) dark living room.

Like, I get that you’ve been on this anti-oled rampage for a while now in this thread, but you’re kind of painting a inaccurate picture of oled TVs.
If you're on the newest firmware and it's still bright enough for you, great! It's not as bad on the B6, by the way. And please get that anti-oled bullshit out of here. I'm not coming to steal yours, so ease up.

Ashhong

Those if you with LG oled any reason why you don't just use the built in apps? These apps seem to be built for the tv. I don't have any issues running Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, it vudu through webos.

You should be happy, it's a really good set.

I have an Android TV box setup with a universal remote hooked up, so the only reason I wouldn't use the built in app is because of convenience. However, the built in apps work great and I do use Netflix from time to time if it's more convenient. Voice search is nice to have

Haint

Do you have that HDMI input set with the PC Icon? If you do that is why it is greyed out. If you don't have it set to PC, it should allow you to chose Dynamic Contrast without a issue. I bought my E7 2 weeks ago and did not have internet at the time so it was using whatever Firmware it had and it allowed it and when I finally did update the Firmware it was still available. As mentioned the only way I found that it does not allow is when the input is set as PC.

None of the PC mode's HDR picture modes are usable IMO. They're all dimmer (most significantly so) than Non-PC Game Mode HDR. Standard HDR in PC is alright in brightness, but appears to be wildly inaccurate significantly washing out shadow detail. The issue with Game Mode HDR is it only has that nonsensical Warm to Cool whitebalance slider, and the default grayscale tracking is hugely green biased which a single slider can not correct for. Cinema HDR in PC mode does have correctable white balance, but is dim as fuck.

ElNino

With old TVs I rarely used the built in apps as they seemed to be slower/clunkier than using an external device. With my B7 however, I'm using the built in apps as they are just as quick (if not more so) than using another device.

I've only really been using it for Neflix and DAZN (NFL streaming), but I did try Amazon Video for a bit when I had Prime trial. So far they have all worked well and I don't seem to have any problems streaming Netflix at 4k through the TV.

None of the PC mode's HDR picture modes are usable IMO. They're all dimmer (most significantly so) than Non-PC Game Mode HDR. Standard HDR in PC is alright in brightness, but appears to be wildly inaccurate significantly washing out shadow detail. The issue with Game Mode HDR is it only has that nonsensical Warm to Cool whitebalance slider, and the default grayscale tracking is hugely green biased which a single slider can not correct for. Cinema HDR in PC mode does have correctable white balance, but is dim as fuck.
I don't find Cinema HDR in PC mode to be that dim, and I actually lower the OELD light to keep it from being too bright for my liking.

Top Bottom