• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Zeus7

I've been shopping about for a TV for Scorpio and I've been looking at the Sony 55XE8596B for £1299.

Does anyone have experience with this TV? I'm not wanting to spend the money and realise I could have gotten a much better TV for similiar or cheaper. Any advice would be appreciated!

Smokey

So I'm on 04.31.20 for the B6, and the HDR Game Mode is noticeably darker than regular HDR as discussed on the last few pages. So are folks with the 05.30.xx firmware experiencing an even darker HDR Game Mode? I thought I was able to escape this by being on a firmware that was not the latest, but doesn't look to be that way. Is there a location where I can download and downgrade to 04.30.77 which seems to be the firmware that first brought the HDR Game Mode?

Mrbob

It does forfeit a significant price advantage over the OLEDs though compared to the X900. Also, the premium over the X900 is quite sizeable.

Do you know whether it comes with a faster soc? I know it has the better image processing chip, but I reckon faster Android OS would almost be worth the money of itself.

Not sure about the soc. Only thing I've seen mentioned in the X1 Extreme processor which allows the X930E to do Dolby Vision.

The x900e is the mid range price to performance champion. Though sometimes I read people who are scared of OLED and want an alternative and I don't see the X930e brought up. The X930 trades blows with OLED in terms of feature set. If someone has the money to spend on an OLED, they could pick up the X930e as an alternative. If HDR is a focus the X930E is brighter than almost every other set in terms of nits. I believe it is also almost twice as bright as the X900e.

I'm personally a fan of OLED screens over LCD screens so that is why I went with the C7 instead of the X930e, but for someone looking for a LCD alternative to OLED and doesn't want to spend the money for a Sony Z9, the X930 is an attractive option.

III-V

What's the best option for low input lag gaming + TV/Movies for a ~40-43" TV w/4K+HDR?

The only set in that specific range is the Sony 43X800D/E.

I have the D (2016), which has a VA panel vs the E (2017) which is IPS.

There is a big thread on this set.

The Rtings long-term burn-in test for week three came out a few days ago and I missed it.

There was very little change from week two, and it's still showing some kind of retention that is the opposite of burn-in (bright areas become brighter on a grey or red field instead of darker which is what happens when you age emitters) and which is presumably from voltage drift compensation.

Also an AVS member posted this. Major IR on an OLED after a store was running a demo 24/7, and how it resolved after compensation in the home of the new owner who bought it as a display model.

Before: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-312-17-129.html#6560

After: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-312-17-130.html#6586

I'd love to see Rtings play a variety of content on these sets for a few days (plus compensation cycles) after the test is over; I suspect major recovery of image uniformity will occur.

I've been shopping about for a TV for Scorpio and I've been looking at the Sony 55XE8596B for £1299.

Does anyone have experience with this TV? I'm not wanting to spend the money and realise I could have gotten a much better TV for similiar or cheaper. Any advice would be appreciated!

Do yourself a favour and try and track down an Panasonic DX902, you could pick a refurb one up from the eBay Panasonic outlet for £1200 ish, getting hard to find, but that and the ZD9 are the best LCD TV's you can buy.

zeeaykay

Ordered the LG 65B7A from Cleveland Plasma for $2,250 total! I can't imagine it going for much less the $1,750 even on Black Friday, which is what I'll end up paying after I get the maximum $500 price match refund.

Android TV is really bloated with the bajillion processes it runs. Vincent Teoh did a good optimisation video where he turned off a certain background process which improved performance.

Also if you keep the TV offline then it runs much smoother. Hopefully Google can improve this because Android TV itself is very functional, it just needs to run better. Until that happens, WebOS is king.

Yeah. It's got some features so they could likely turn around some impressions if they could fix and avoid the slowdown, especially since it's more likely to effect those most important to impress, those who use the built in apps as their primary apps the most often.

I guess it'll probably take some time to build up slowdown for me since I kind of spread around my app usage to the 4K blu-ray player and PS4s apps thanks to needing things like Funimation (and now CBS) so I don't only use the apps in the TV itself, though I do use them too.

Just got this - http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

Anyone able to help out with setting for ensuring HDR is enabled properly on port 2? My xbox one isn't showing all ticks on the 4K TV details page (Yeah I'm using the correct cable)

Sadly only two ports support HDR and the other is used for ARC so having to swap Xbox One and PS4 cable....

EDIT: Perhaps I need to enable enhanced format for inputs, will look at it in the morning.

Yep, make sure you turn on enhanced format for the inputs. Do it at least for whichever of the two ports you're using 4K HDR devices on.

I'd say both but since you mention having to swap cables on HDMI 2 then I'm guessing that you're using HDMI 3 ARC port for a soundbar rather than a receiver?

Have a question on the OS Android talk. What's the benefit of using the Apps on the TV and not for example on PS4 or PS4 pro is there a difference in possible resolution or anything? Please excuse me I never use Apps but when I get my TV next week I would like to watch some 4k YT vids just to have a look.

Kyoufu

Have a question on the OS Android talk. What's the benefit of using the Apps on the TV and not for example on PS4 or PS4 pro is there a difference in possible resolution or anything? Please excuse me I never use Apps but when I get my TV next week I would like to watch some 4k YT vids just to have a look.

PS4 Pro doesn't support Dolby Vision so TVs with DV will need to use either the apps included in the TV OS or devices that have DV support, like Apple TV 4K.

PS4 Pro doesn't support YouTube HDR and Dolby Vision, for example. Also, some apps may not be available on your PS4 depending on where you live.

Resolution should be the same if you own a PS4 Pro.

Kyoufu

Do yourself a favour and try and track down an Panasonic DX902, you could pick a refurb one up from the eBay Panasonic outlet for £1200 ish, getting hard to find, but that and the ZD9 are the best LCD TV's you can buy.

When are we getting successors to the ZD9 and DX902? It's been ages.

PS4 Pro doesn't support Dolby Vision so TVs with DV will need to use either the apps included in the TV OS or devices that have DV support, like Apple TV 4K.

PS4 Pro doesn't support YouTube HDR and Dolby Vision, for example. Also, some apps may not be available on your PS4 depending on where you live.

Resolution should be the same if you own a PS4 Pro.

Thx for the answers! Hm, PS4 Pro not supporting YT HDR makes no sense but OK. XE93 not supporting DV right now so it will be about HDR. So how bad is it with Android OS, think XE90 and XE93 have the same memory capabilities. Is it only sluggish or is it watch one vid and breakdown?

Thx for the answers! Hm, PS4 Pro not supporting YT HDR makes no sense but OK. XE93 not supporting DV right now so it will be about HDR. So how bad is it with Android OS, think XE90 and XE93 have the same memory capabilities. Is it only sluggish or is it watch one vid and breakdown?

Android OS on XE90 is pretty good. It was updated to 7.0 recently and I found it to be fairly intuitive and snappy. However, when watching HDR content, menus and inputs would register very slowly. It was my main issue with the XE90. Outside of that, I feel like they've worked out most of the kinks.

Android OS on XE90 is pretty good. It was updated to 7.0 recently and I found it to be fairly intuitive and snappy. However, when watching HDR content, menus and inputs would register very slowly. It was my main issue with the XE90. Outside of that, I feel like they've worked out most of the kinks.

A yeah, I remember the comment about the volume input. Wonder if it's the RAM or the processor. Thx for the answer.

I just realized that I know little about streaming. What is the general take on streaming 4k vs upscaled Blu ray?

I just love physical media but thinking about a service till a player is coming out with DV and which doesn't cost 800 €.

MazeHaze

Banned
Also I'm pretty sure Netflix HDR is borked on Xbox and ps4. It keeps HDR turned on even for SDR content. There is no reason whatsoever to use a console over the built in apps. Hell most Tvs make it easy for you with a Netflix and Amazon Prime button right on the remote.

Also I'm pretty sure Netflix HDR is borked on Xbox and ps4. It keeps HDR turned on even for SDR content. There is no reason whatsoever to use a console over the built in apps. Hell most Tvs make it easy for you with a Netflix and Amazon Prime button right on the remote.

Thx for the reply, the reason for my asking was the downside of Android OS as you can see above.

In France there is an offer this week for the LG 55SJ810. It will be priced at 999 euros, payable over 20 months without any extra charges. Is it a good deal? It seems it has real HDR (HDR10/Dolby Vision supported). In rtings I found the American model SJ8500 which is decently reviewed for videogames, but not quite sure if it's the same model.

Macaco84

Having owned both the xe90 and the xe93 (both 65 inch) i really have to recommend the xe93 for people that are choosing between the two. In the uk there is a good £500 difference between them which may put some off but lets go over the advantages here:

- Better build quality. I do like the screen on the xe93 as it is flush with the bezel. Unlike the xe90. This does make it look quite high end. There is also a very nice finish on the back of the tv. Ok, not many people are going to see that but again it adds to the feel of quality

- Substantially brighter. Something like 1500 nits peak brightness. This has a pronounced effects particularly on small highlights like street lamps and fire places etc in hdr enabled games. For example, i am currently playing through infamous first light and the street lamps at night really stand out and the whole scene just pops. I would say the effect is a step up from the xe90.

- Dolby vision. Coming late 2017 i believe. A nice secondary option to have for hdr material. And as we still dont know which way the hdr standards will settle on, it is good to cover all bases

- More powerful image processor. Ok, there is a lot of marketing fluff with this but i can vouch for the picture quality overall - especially upscaling blu rays. It is stunning.

- Better speakers. The speakers on the xe93 are front firing and there is a good amount of bass. Certainly a step up from the more tinny xe90.

- This one might be subjective but i did notice some lip syncing issues on the xe90 from time to time. Having read around, it seems this may be a thing with that particular model and it is interesting i havent experienced this once on my xe93

And for those put off by the edge lighting - yes you do get the familiar shortcomings of this type of illumination but the local dimming is definitely on par with the xe90 with very similar levels of blooming. This is most noticeable viewing off centre but as long as you view within a reasonable angle of centre i find it isnt really a problem.

So in summary, a great tv and despite what some may say, a definite upgrade over the xe90.

- This one might be subjective but i did notice some lip syncing issues on the xe90 from time to time. Having read around, it seems this may be a thing with that particular model and it is interesting i havent experienced this once on my xe93

Is this sound delay issue related to home theaters/audio systems? I'm planning on getting the x900e but this is a real buzz killer if true.

Macaco84

Is this sound delay issue related to home theaters/audio systems? I'm planning on getting the x900e but this is a real buzz killer if true.

I didnt have any sound equipment linked to my xe90 (or xe93) and did suffer some lip syncing issues.

It has been covered earlier in this thread if memory serves me right a couple of months back. I dont even think it was my particular set as i went through two (due to unrelated issues) and it was the same on both. But i am about as picky as they come with stuff like this so i imagine not everyone will notice.

It wasnt like a whole second delay or something. It was far more subtle and strangely only cropped up from time to time. On my sky tv, ps4 and youtube/netflix via android. All had it. Actually youtube was the worst - that had it frequently.

Purdy

Yep, make sure you turn on enhanced format for the inputs. Do it at least for whichever of the two ports you're using 4K HDR devices on.

I'd say both but since you mention having to swap cables on HDMI 2 then I'm guessing that you're using HDMI 3 ARC port for a soundbar rather than a receiver?

Got it thanks, can't say I notice a 'wow' difference when turning on the enhanced format and getting HDR to be honest, however still happy the picture looks a lot better than previous TV. Going to game mode seems strange initially but seems much more natural after a minute or so. (FH3/Ratchet and Clank/Grand Tour)

Yeah, I could use optical but I'm thinking having one remote just makes more sense and get up and change the cable when need be.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I'm guessing if they haven't shown it so far this year they'll just wait till CES in January. I'm really curious what they could do with a Z9D successor. That thing could be beastly
costwise as well

My B6 finally stopped notifying me of the latest update. Guess it got the point that I wasn't interested :p

You sure it didn't accidentally update?

Just cuz I can't seem to figure out how to stop my C6 from bugging me to update. I tried blocking the ports from LG through my Fios Router but it keeps asking me! Maybe I'm doing something wrong..

Dave_6

You sure it didn't accidentally update?

Just cuz I can't seem to figure out how to stop my C6 from bugging me to update. I tried blocking the ports from LG through my Fios Router but it keeps asking me! Maybe I'm doing something wrong..

Yeah I checked it to make sure. Guess after so long it stops prompting.

ApharmdX

Banned

We probably aren't, since Sony and Panasonic both went all-in on OLED for their 2017 flagships. I've heard that FALD sets like these, with high zone counts, are expensive to design and manufacture, which is why Samsung has abandoned FALD. Seems like it's cheaper for them to just buy LG OLED panels for now.

End of an era.

ToD_

The Rtings long-term burn-in test for week three came out a few days ago and I missed it.

There was very little change from week two, and it's still showing some kind of retention that is the opposite of burn-in (bright areas become brighter on a grey or red field instead of darker which is what happens when you age emitters) and which is presumably from voltage drift compensation.

Also an AVS member posted this. Major IR on an OLED after a store was running a demo 24/7, and how it resolved after compensation in the home of the new owner who bought it as a display model.

Before: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-312-17-129.html#6560

After: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-312-17-130.html#6586

I'd love to see Rtings play a variety of content on these sets for a few days (plus compensation cycles) after the test is over; I suspect major recovery of image uniformity will occur.

It is surprising to see such a good recovery after the severe "burn-in". I am a little afraid to go to AVSforum and check the burn-in thread, because I'm sure I'll find horror stories there. I wonder if some folks there were also able to recover from their burned in screens, though. Also looking forward to seeing if the Rtings panel is able to recover. Hopefully they plan on doing some tests to see what works best.

I remember someone here having burn-in playing Zelda BOTW (hearts burned in). I forget who that was, but did that improve? Reason I'm asking is because I picked the game back up again to finish up the shrines and have been playing for long sessions. I'm not very concerned since my C7 gets very mixed usage between my girlfriend and I but I'm curious nonetheless.

It is surprising to see such a good recovery after the severe "burn-in". I am a little afraid to go to AVSforum and check the burn-in thread, because I'm sure I'll find horror stories there. I wonder if some folks there were also able to recover from their burned in screens, though. Also looking forward to seeing if the Rtings panel is able to recover. Hopefully they plan on doing some tests to see what works best.

I remember someone here having burn-in playing Zelda BOTW (hearts burned in). I forget who that was, but did that improve? Reason I'm asking is because I picked the game back up again to finish up the shrines and have been playing for long sessions. I'm not very concerned since my C7 gets very mixed usage between my girlfriend and I but I'm curious nonetheless.

Uh Hifi forum, they got me all nervous with my purchase of the Xe93 next week with the bubbles on screen stories. But great to see the TV recovery

tmdorsey

It does forfeit a significant price advantage over the OLEDs though compared to the X900. Also, the premium over the X900 is quite sizeable.

Do you know whether it comes with a faster soc? I know it has the better image processing chip, but I reckon faster Android OS would almost be worth the money of itself.

The x930e does have the same chip for the OS as the x900e. The Android OS is laggy. I'm hoping Apple gets their shit together and adds a native output option as well as VP9 support to the new Apple TV 4K so I won't have to bother using the TV apps.

JG5253

A yeah, I remember the comment about the volume input. Wonder if it's the RAM or the processor. Thx for the answer.

I just realized that I know little about streaming. What is the general take on streaming 4k vs upscaled Blu ray?

I just love physical media but thinking about a service till a player is coming out with DV and which doesn't cost 800 €.
Look into the LG UP970 for Dolby Vision. The update got pulled but it could be found on sale for $140. They should update it to dolby vision before Sony does if they ever

galvatron

Can anyone explain the difference between the LG B7 and C7?

It's the stand and bezel that are different, as far as i know.

Seems like lots of people buy a C7 or better with a credit card that has a loose price match policy so they can get the maximum refund by submitting a link to a site they don't trust enough to use for the actual purchase. I think you'd have a harder time finding a price match target for the B7 since few places seem to advertise selling those at huge discounts compared to the low prices advertised on the C7.

We probably aren't, since Sony and Panasonic both went all-in on OLED for their 2017 flagships. I've heard that FALD sets like these, with high zone counts, are expensive to design and manufacture, which is why Samsung has abandoned FALD. Seems like it's cheaper for them to just buy LG OLED panels for now.

End of an era.

I just can't see how that can be though, I mean OLED is a great technology n all, but that technology as it stands will end up holding it back, the HDR side of things only goes up very incrementally each year, due to the fact it has to make its own light, and has burn in to consider, whereas LCD can go crazy high if the want was there, so aside from completely new tech, FALD is the only valid one that can forge new territory.

MazeHaze

Banned
I just can't see how that can be though, I mean OLED is a great technology n all, but that technology as it stands will end up holding it back, the HDR side of things only goes up very incrementally each year, due to the fact it has to make its own light, and has burn in to consider, whereas LCD can go crazy high if the want was there, so aside from completely new tech, FALD is the only valid one that can forge new territory.
Eh, I think the perfect blacks of the OLED more than makeup for a slight shortcoming in brightness. My KS8000 got like 600 nits brighter than my OLED but I find the latter far more impressive. Even HDR content I'd already seen on the KS8000 has made my jaw drop on the OLED.

Chumpion

In France there is an offer this week for the LG 55SJ810. It will be priced at 999 euros, payable over 20 months without any extra charges. Is it a good deal? It seems it has real HDR (HDR10/Dolby Vision supported). In rtings I found the American model SJ8500 which is decently reviewed for videogames, but not quite sure if it's the same model.

I'd wait for a better deal. See if you can locate a Samsung UE55KS7000, it should have a similar price and is a much better TV (confusingly, the corresponding US model is UN55KS8000).

End of an era.
Not a chance.

Don't forget the ZD9 isn't really a FALD, it's an edge-lit that simulates FALD backlighting. There's still plenty of room for improvement with HDR peak brightness in LCD tech. They won't give that up for OLED as long as it still has downsides compared to LCD.

Eh, I think the perfect blacks of the OLED more than makeup for a slight shortcoming in brightness. My KS8000 got like 600 nits brighter than my OLED but I find the latter far more impressive. Even HDR content I'd already seen on the KS8000 has made my jaw drop on the OLED.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Options are good. OLED might be the future, but in the present, not everyone wants to buy into its flaws

MazeHaze

Banned
I'd wait for a better deal. See if you can locate a Samsung UE55KS7000, it should have a similar price and is a much better TV (confusingly, the corresponding US model is UN55KS8000).
Those sets are almost impossible to find new. I know because I tried to replace my KS8000, bought a new one on Amazon and they sent me a refurb. I refunded it and bought an OLED.

Yeah course, I'm not taking that away, OLED has blacks and precision covered! But I'm saying is where does it go from here?

So in an accurate mode an OLED can hit 700nits of peak, and around 130nits full screen before ABL kicks in, so can we honestly say it'll even reach 1000 next year? Not a given by any means. Granted LCD cannot get as black or precise, but more zones can be added, and and when it comes to peak brightness, the skies the limit, so for HDR on paper LCD still has much more room to grow than OLED.

Just to add some perspective to LCD blacks, mine on SDR using Max local dimming can produce 0.005 ANSI checkerboard blacks, that's blacker than an VT60 plasma, my point being blacks on an LCD are not in a bad place.

I don't know if it fits in this thread since they aren't really TVs, but does anyone happen to have some experience using an info-display? Can be either for gaming or just movies.

I am talking about things like this iiyama (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B015SXSD3O/) although there are some more exotic ones like from swedx (http://swedx.se/product_info.php?products_id=1031) or nogis (https://nogis.at/produkt/nogis-one-55/).

So it's a longshot, but anyone ever use one of these?
Really want to avoid TVs due to taxes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Options are good. OLED might be the future, but in the present, not everyone wants to buy into its flaws
But then your suggestion is that the ‘flaw’ of peak brightness not being as high somehow supersedes the obvious benefits of OLED in almost every other regard. Your basically saying ‘it’s not perfect so choose something less perfect’ or am I incorrect in that assumption?

Top Bottom