• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

The X930D is better television, IMO but at this point you might be better off waiting for the X93/XE93 coming out of CES. The inclusion of the X1 Extreme processor is huge there and worth the wait! I would imagine it will be priced similarly to the X930D at launch.

Ouch on that back panel. I've never seen anything like that. Shit, I didn't know that back panel was glued. While I'm sure they're not all like that, that's one unit I'd immediately trade for a different model.

I feel you on the X93E. Sadly, I don't want to spend $2k on a set right now. Honestly, I only got one for myself because I bought everybody else new TVs for Christmas. Anyway, the X930D is on sale for $1500 at Best Buy, and I'm sitting on reward zone certificates. I'm probably going to swap and see if I like it before I do anything else.

77" A1E will cost $9999 at the minimum RRP. The 100" ZD9 is kinda funny, £60k RRP, for what it's worth seen it for £40k.
On that note staring at a 75" ZD9 for £3137 atm. Don't think I have space for it though I must resist.

You know what you must do. You must buy it. I want that TV so much.

BumRush

77" A1E will cost $9999 at the minimum RRP. The 100" ZD9 is kinda funny, £60k RRP, for what it's worth seen it for £40k.
On that note staring at a 75" ZD9 for £3137 atm. Don't think I have space for it though I must resist.

Do it!!!

I think the 65" will be in line with the E6 when it first launched, but the 77"... it probably won't be 4 digits and that'll make me sad.

Then again, I should really wait for HDMI 2.1 to be a thing before I even consider buying a new set. I'm silly.

You own one of the 2016 OLEDs, no?

The Beard

*Grinds teeth into powder* I just got a call from the family member that had previously said they were willing to take my current TV temporarily while I list it for sale, so that I'd have room for the new TV when it arrives. They changed their mind and don't feel like it anymore, then hung up on me mid sentence. Literally said, that they didn't want to do me the favor unless they could keep the TV, when originally I was letting them borrow a TV nearly twice the size of their own until I was able to sell it. Not 30 seconds later Cleveland Plasma called me back ready for my purchase, which I had to hold off on because I don't have room for it right now, and I'm not going to just toss a pristine 73" set.

Edit: Found a friend to take on the incredible burden of enjoying a TV better than their own for a little while while I try to sell it. Purchase pending with Cleveland Plasma!

Actually, it does sound like a bit of a burden. Are you going to make them pick it up from your house too?

"Hey buddy, do you want to take the time to disconnect your TV and set it aside, so you can babysit my old TV for a few days, maybe even a few weeks? Im not sure yet. Then, at some point I'll demand to have access to it again, so I can take it back once I find a seller. Then you can take the time to set your shitty TV back up."

Just give it to them. Who gives a shit about a few hund when you're about to drop thousands on a new TV you don't need?

Do the right thing.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Actually, it does sound like a bit of a burden. Are you going to make them pick it up from your house too?

"Hey buddy, do you want to take the time to disconnect your TV and set it aside, so you can babysit my old TV for a few days, maybe even a few weeks? Then, at some point I'll demand to have access to it again, so I can take it back once I find a seller. Then you can take the time to set your shitty TV back up."

Just give it to them. Who gives a shit about a few hund when you're about to drop thousands on a new TV you don't need?

Do the right thing.

Actually no, I was going to deliver and pick it up, I was handling everything. All that they would have had to do was enjoy a far better TV than they currently had for a short amount of time. After that family member tried to rip me off the first friend I called up and asked jumped at the chance even for a temporary upgrade over his crappy TV.

Paragon

It's a "partial frame" of the entire scene rather than just a piece of it, so if you can see it then it counts IMO. That's the point of input lag, being able to see what's happening on the screen. I can play SFV on my ST30 and not feel too bad about it. Still not the same as a gaming monitor, but definitely better than anything I'll get with curent gen TV's.
A sub-field is a 1-bit image of varying intensity.
If you could see the subfields, the TV would look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWecqe04DTI
That's why you can see flashes of color if you move your eyes quickly across a plasma TV, or with fast motion.
Additionally, Panasonic claimed that their 3D plasmas would complete drawing all sub-fields in <0.00033..ms - which they advertised as "3000Hz focused-field drive"

Because Plasmas update the panel all at once instead of drawing it line-by-line, they have to wait until a complete frame has been transmitted.
They can't start drawing the frame as soon as the first line is received, like LCD and OLEDs do.
That plays a big part in why they measure higher latency.

Paragon

By when should we know if the 2017 LG oleds will be updated with 2.1 HDMI through firmware?
HDMI 2.0 is 18Gbps, HDMI 2.1 is 48Gbps.
I doubt support is going to be possible via a firmware update.
HDMI usually puts out a spec far in advance of the hardware being available.

Hopefully they will have learned from the mess of HDMI 2.0 having multiple tiers where some TVs were shipping with 10.2Gbps (1.4) ports that were listed as "HDMI 2.0" because they had support for some of HDMI 2.0's features, instead of full bandwidth 18Gbps ports. Sony was particularly bad about it.

holygeesus

Banned
HDMI 2.0 is 18Gbps, HDMI 2.1 is 48Gbps.
I doubt support is going to be possible via a firmware update.
HDMI usually puts out a spec far in advance of the hardware being available.

Hopefully they will have learned from the mess of HDMI 2.0 having multiple tiers where some TVs were shipping with 10.2Gbps (1.4) ports that were listed as "HDMI 2.0" because they had support for some of HDMI 2.0's features, instead of full bandwidth 18Gbps ports. Sony was particularly bad about it.

While I'm not expecting it on 2016 models, it's not entirely clear yet whether new hardware will be required or not, according to this article.

http://www.cepro.com/article/new_hdmi_2_1_specification_supports_8k60hz_with_hdr_4k120hz#

Haint

While I'm not expecting it on 2016 models, it's not entirely clear yet whether new hardware will be required or not, according to this article.

http://www.cepro.com/article/new_hdmi_2_1_specification_supports_8k60hz_with_hdr_4k120hz#

Full 2.1 will absolutely require new hardware as the physical HDMI board/chipset in the TV (or breakout box) has to have to clock speed and data rate to handle it. The question is can they patch some of the non-bandwidth limited features into 2.0? Probably.

AddiF

Hey guys. My E6 is looking crazy good in 4k videos and movies... but I'm having issues with gaming. Sorry for asking this as I'm sure it has been answered somewhere. So, I have it on game mode and the input lag is fine but I feel the image quality and framerate take a hit. Whats the best setting and calibration for games? Recommend any special calibration website?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't mind bloom if it's a function of the design. I'm talking defective bleed (i.e. only one or two corners, or middle of the panel). I just want a set that can match my two year old low-mid range W600B.

I have one and liike it a lot. VA panel so blacks are nice (even better with the local dimming), and I generally watch head on so no issues with watching off axis. The local dimming can be noticeable with eg subtitles etc, but even if you turn it off the black levels are still decent.

Dirty screen effect or backlight uniformity is still going to be down to luck like with any LCD set, but it is a clear step up for the X8xx series.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Well done to Sony & LG on CES.

Samsung still hanging on to LCD tooth and nail for high end. it Don't expect proper QDot displays from Samsung till well into 2020's going by investor conference call last year by which time OLED will be cheap as chips. SMH I don't know why they ever thought not continuing their OLED range was a good idea they were short sighted and where the real profits are made is going to LG (OLED) & Sony (Z9 best LCD hands down last year).

Edit: I'm happy LG ditched 3D sorry for people that still use it but the filter needed for 3D viewing impacts PQ for normal content viewing when application is tricky and QC can be hard to manage on all sets, and lets be honest going forward no one will support 3D.

Oh and 2017 will be the year of Dolby Vision unless dynamic HDR shows it can go toe to toe with DV which kicks the shit out of HDR10. Still good to see DV support pick up big time and having Sony backing it too is huge.

Looking forward to HDMI 2.1 displays too. :) Finally HFR support on consumer TV's.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

It's new hardware I've been saying it for the longest time after the leaked Philips docs.

Edit: Anyone expecting high frame rate support and other new features @4K+ on their HDMI 2.0 set will never get it just physically not possible I warned people last year to make sure they understood this but many people thought a magic firmware would allow them to support new feature sets.

A question for B6 owners.
Sometimes, when I plug the PC, but there isn't any sound playing, I can hear some kind of noise coming from the TV that disappears when I mute the TV. Is this normal or a problem with the speakers? It's weird since it doesn't always happen.

Anyone with a B6 could try this?, it can be with the youtube app without playing anything. Need to know if I should ask for a replacement.

holygeesus

Banned
It's new hardware I've been saying it for the longest time after the leaked Philips docs.

Edit: Anyone expecting high frame rate support and other new features @4K+ on their HDMI 2.0 set will never get it just physically not possible I warned people last year to make sure they understood this but many people thought a magic firmware would allow them to support new feature sets.

I'm no expert. I just read the article. You would have thought that Rob Tobias would know though.

KaoticBlaze

Wait, wasn't it mentioned somewhere that HDMI 2.1 was going to be backwards compatible with the 2.0 hardware? Or was that not true?

Caayn

Wait, wasn't it mentioned somewhere that HDMI 2.1 was going to be backwards compatible with the 2.0 hardware? Or was that not true?
It was mentioned that HDMI 2.1 will be backwards compatible with 2.0 device. Meaning that you can connect a HDMI 2.1 device to a HDMI 2.0 device and it'll work with HDMI 2.0 speeds.

Theonik

It was mentioned that HDMI 2.1 will be backwards compatible with 2.0 device. Meaning that you can connect a HDMI 2.1 device to a HDMI 2.0 device and it'll work with HDMI 2.0 speeds.
They use the same cables* and connectors. The only difference is the link speed and the capabilities of the HDMI chip in the devices. What the article above is saying is that companies implementing HDMI need to decide what their upgrade paths are if any. For most it would probably mean new hardware otherwise existing hardware would need to have potential to run at much higher rates than they currently can.

It is impossible to say without knowing individual implementations whether they can be updated. Final compliance tests are not even done so any implementation currently would be based upon internal compliance testing based on the specification, this also means that until proper compliance tests are released interoperability between HDMI 2.1 devices cannot be ensured.

III-V

It is impossible to say without knowing individual implementations whether they can be updated. Final compliance tests are not even done so any implementation currently would be based upon internal compliance testing based on the specification, this also means that until proper compliance tests are released interoperability between HDMI 2.1 devices cannot be ensured.

Very true, and this is going to be a bigger issue with the much larger bw.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm no expert. I just read the article. You would have thought that Rob Tobias would know though.

I posted in depth about this last year the only TV's that will get semi HDMI 2.1 support most likely are the ones that have external "boxes" that are all the internal components in more traditional TV made external for cosmetic reasons (mainly) like some Samsung sets, however the uplink to the TV still won't support the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 but I'd expect Dynamic HDR supported on some of these TVs. As for other 2016 TV's the SOC and chipsets simply won't support the required bandwidth or even cope with the processing power (DV TV's that used MediaTek Soc's could be the exception to support Dynamic HDR as DV is already way more demanding than HDR10.) as for HFR I'd say very little chance for any 2016 set to be updated to support it even though a lot of panels are 120Hz.

Edit: Biggest thing for me personally to come out of 2016 is how much more seriously manufacturers are taking gamers. So, I'd love to see them add 1080p@120Hz HDMI 2.0 support which is easily possible I'm sure many people would appreciate it. However, the TV industry has never worked this way in the past where they want to sell more new units over improving the user exp of previous years units and add features that would benefit the user moving forward.

So, Rtings is constantly lowering their TV scores. I remember just like two months ago the KS8000 had a score of 8.3. Then they lowered to 8.2. I just went there today and it's down to 8.0! Meanwhile OLED continues with 8.6. I noticed other TVs got their scores lowered too, but I noticed mostly the KS because that's the one I got and the one I've always looked at on their website.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, they lowered the score for its performance in sports and PC Monitor (possibly due to blur and no 120Hz support).

So, Rtings is constantly lowering their TV scores. I remember just like two months ago the KS8000 had a score of 8.3. Then they lowered to 8.2. I just went there today and it's down to 8.0! Meanwhile OLED continues with 8.6. I noticed other TVs got their scores lowered too, but I noticed mostly the KS because that's the one I got and the one I've always looked at on their website.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, they lowered the score for its performance in sports and PC Monitor (possibly due to blur and no 120Hz support).

I think they added new testing categories which may have affected the scores.

TLZ

Banned
Lol!!

You explained this perfectly to me and also explains why the c6 I could feel the lag yet it wasn't an issue on the ks8000.

Should we going by the bottom bar on the Leo bodnar? So for instance the c6 bottom bar was 37ms and the b6 bottom bar with the new firmware is 29.8ms, so that means the b6 is under the two frame 33.3ms number. The ks8000 had a bottom bar of 27.5ms. So I completely agree with your explanation and now helps me understand it fully. This b6 should be on point for me in regards to lag :0

Wait what? I checked rtings a few days ago and the C6 had the better input lag and ordered myself the C6. When did this happen? Will the C6 be updated to get better input lag as well?

EDIT: Just checked rtings and it's true. I literally was on their site while at the store and got the C6 based on the better input lag and overall score it got. Now they've changed their ratings. I feel shafted.

Still, would the C6 receive a similar update and have it's lag reduced? Anyone know or read anything?

vpance

Weird, but sort of makes sense as the picture quality of newer TVs continue to improve. Otherwise all their scores will be nothing but 8.5-9.5. It's like how launch game reviews tend to become overrated over time with newer games stepping it up.

ACH1LL3US

Wait what? I checked rtings a few days ago and the C6 had the better input lag and ordered myself the C6. When did this happen? Will the C6 be updated to get better input lag as well?

EDIT: Just checked rtings and it's true. I literally was on their site while at the store and got the C6 based on the better input lag and overall score it got. Now they've changed their ratings. I feel shafted.

Still, would the C6 receive a similar update and have it's lag reduced? Anyone know or read anything?

A firmware update came out on Jan 4 that lowered the b6 lag to 27.5ms for sdr content. The c6 I had before and it had according my Leo Bodnar to the latest firmware to have 34.8ms on the middle bar, bottom bar was 38ms.

Did you take delivery of the c6 yet? Was it from Best Buy? If you want the curved I would stick with the c6 , if not get the b6. No one knows if LG will lower the lag more for the c6, who knows, maybe if they do it could be even lower then the b6 lol!

TLZ

Banned
A firmware update came out on Jan 4 that lowered the b6 lag to 27.5ms for sdr content. The c6 I had before and it had according my Leo Bodnar to the latest firmware to have 34.8ms on the middle bar, bottom bar was 38ms.

Did you take delivery of the c6 yet? Was it from Best Buy? If you want the curved I would stick with the c6 , if not get the b6. No one knows if LG will lower the lag more for the c6, who knows, maybe if they do it could be even lower then the b6 lol!

I'm still waiting for stock. I've only put in an order for one. They said it should take a week or 2. Don't care about curved really. I had both offered for the same price and went for the C6 for the lower input lag but now the B6 is lower. Imagine the C6 is lowered even further...

Is there any other advantage the C6 has over the B6? Apart from 3D of course. Does it have less issues? I've read somewhere it has a better processor (or something) that's similar to what's in the E6. Is that correct?

Kyoufu

Scoring a TV with a number is probably the silliest thing you could do. I don't understand it.

Devil

Could someone please explain what the higher hz number @4k featured by HDMI 2.1 actually means for console gaming or watching BR or streaming?

Midas

So I went to a store which had a KS8000 and a B6V next to each other. There were two things I noticed.

1. The KS8000 were A LOT brighter, I guess this is the case, that LCD panels simply are brighter?

2. The B6V had a much warmer/yellow tone in what was supposed to be white. Maybe this is the classic LG (I remember sending back several Macbook Pro's because of this) or maybe the KS8000 is just making things whiter than they should be? I can't say... I should probably demo something on it which I know is bright white and see how yellow it is.

BumRush

Could someone please explain what the higher hz number @4k featured by HDMI 2.1 actually means for console gaming or watching BR or streaming?

Realistically, that particular aspect doesn't improve much in the short term. But 2.1 will become the standard when the next console wave (hopefully) does need it in 2019/2020.

J-Rzez

Well done to Sony & LG on CES.

They both really killed it, that's for sure. Samsung on the other hand is in "market to confuse the consumer" mode all over again. "SUHD" wasn't as offensive, but this "QLED" thing is ridiculous. Just something to damage control against OLED. Such a shame as people are going to walk into say a Best Buy, ask the "Samsung Expert" what it stands for, and they're going to regurgitate samsung's marketing and mislead some consumers.

This is the first TV I've bought since 2009, GET HYPE!

Congrats, enjoy, and don't invest much time into calibration out of the box, the panel will break in over 100-200hrs. :)

III-V

You don't need to break in an OLED. They gradually lose brightness throughout their life anyway so any calibration will be an ongoing process.

From what I understand what you are saying is true - they do gradually lose brightness at an approximately linear rate, but before this time, they do undergo a very short lived period of exponential decay, so it may be worthwhile to give the set 100 hours or so and then calibrate. After that, maybe every 6 months to a year.

Midas

Which movie has the best 4K transfer? Need something to wow myself with, I've read that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of the best, does it still hold up or are there better ones?

DieH@rd

Banned
Which movie has the best 4K transfer? Need something to wow myself with, I've read that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of the best, does it still hold up or are there better ones?

Life of Pi and Revenant are considered to be top tier.

Weevilone

So I went to a store which had a KS8000 and a B6V next to each other. There were two things I noticed.

1. The KS8000 were A LOT brighter, I guess this is the case, that LCD panels simply are brighter?

2. The B6V had a much warmer/yellow tone in what was supposed to be white. Maybe this is the classic LG (I remember sending back several Macbook Pro's because of this) or maybe the KS8000 is just making things whiter than they should be? I can't say... I should probably demo something on it which I know is bright white and see how yellow it is.

The KS8000 may simply have been calibrated for a more blue white, ie cooler colors.

Pacific Rim is worthwhile also. Colorful, lends itself well to HDR, etc.

Weevilone

Yeah, maybe. I'm going back at least once more before I decide.

Thanks for the movie tips guys. :)

Retail displays are tough to evaluate. They have retail-only modes that are simply designed to catch your eye in that setting, but that would look horrible at home. A lot of displays ask you when you set them up if it's for display or home use. It's pretty shitty.

holygeesus

Banned
From what I understand what you are saying is true - they do gradually lose brightness at an approximately linear rate, but before this time, they do undergo a very short lived period of exponential decay, so it may be worthwhile to give the set 100 hours or so and then calibrate. After that, maybe every 6 months to a year.

Personally I'd run it for a week anyway just to make sure you have a decent one. Once you have checked uniformity, for dead pixels etc, you will probably rack up the hours anyway. It's not like it was back in the plasma glory years - I remember leaving mine running over night and when at work. Must have cost a bomb in electricity as my Kuro pretty much heated the house in winter.

They both really killed it, that's for sure. Samsung on the other hand is in "market to confuse the consumer" mode all over again. "SUHD" wasn't as offensive, but this "QLED" thing is ridiculous. Just something to damage control against OLED. Such a shame as people are going to walk into say a Best Buy, ask the "Samsung Expert" what it stands for, and they're going to regurgitate samsung's marketing and mislead some consumers.

Congrats, enjoy, and don't invest much time into calibration out of the box, the panel will break in over 100-200hrs. :)

Bad naming aside, the QLED TVs have gotten pretty positive hands on previews from the showfloor.

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, so apologies.

My family jumped onto the 4K bandwagon this year with an LG 49UH850V - Dad didn't want his 3D films being useless. Thing is, I got curious as to whether or not it would support 4K youtube streaming, wanted to use it preview what some games looked like at that resolution.

Unfortunately, it has some weird networking issues. Apps like Netflix and Amazon work fine, but the internet browser is glacial in comparison. Google is the only thing that loads at all, and anything else takes so damn long that if I switch to search something else, the page has only gotten the most bare text.

So okay, browser was a bust, maybe there's an app I can just download from the browser store? Maybe, but the browser store says the TV isn't connected to the network - it is, via an ethernet cable, and Netflix works - and says 'Network Error -105'. Would anyone be able to provide a suggestion of how to fix this beyond turning the TV on and off again?

BumRush

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, so apologies.

My family jumped onto the 4K bandwagon this year with an LG 49UH850V - Dad didn't want his 3D films being useless. Thing is, I got curious as to whether or not it would support 4K youtube streaming, wanted to use it preview what some games looked like at that resolution.

Unfortunately, it has some weird networking issues. Apps like Netflix and Amazon work fine, but the internet browser is glacial in comparison. Google is the only thing that loads at all, and anything else takes so damn long that if I switch to search something else, the page has only gotten the most bare text.

So okay, browser was a bust, maybe there's an app I can just download from the browser store? Maybe, but the browser store says the TV isn't connected to the network - it is, via an ethernet cable, and Netflix works - and says 'Network Error -105'. Would anyone be able to provide a suggestion of how to fix this beyond turning the TV on and off again?

Have you tried it over WiFi instead, just in case there's some issue with the ethernet cable?

Devil

Realistically, that particular aspect doesn't improve much in the short term. But 2.1 will become the standard when the next console wave (hopefully) does need it in 2019/2020.

So what about long-term benefts on PS5 etc? I'm not among those who will buy a TV every 2-3 years, so this could help me decide if I should buy now or stick with my plasma a little longer.

III-V

Personally I'd run it for a week anyway just to make sure you have a decent one. Once you have checked uniformity, for dead pixels etc, you will probably rack up the hours anyway. It's not like it was back in the plasma glory years - I remember leaving mine running over night and when at work. Must have cost a bomb in electricity as my Kuro pretty much heated the house in winter.

You are absolutely right and it would not be a bad idea if someone created a thread on this type of procedure -

bought a new set? this is what you do the 1st 2 weeks--

detailing for a neophyte exactly what to look for with a crummy set, it seems that so many have the panel lottery nowadays, I imagine this would be a big help for some folks. Anyway just a thought.

BumRush

So what about long-term benefts on PS5 etc? I'm not among those who will buy a TV every 2-3 years, so this could help me decide if I should buy now or stick with my plasma a little longer.

Check the bullet points out in here: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Basically, 4K at a refresh rate above 60 (120) and 8K at 60, dynamic HDR (which effectively optimizes the color, brightness, etc of each frame, not just a static approach -- HUGE deal), and "Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing." (Basically your TV will be like a G-Sync monitor)

How these are implemented in PS5, etc are yet to be seen, but you won't be enjoying them without the 2.1 spec.

Hope that helps...

Top Bottom