• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Are you kidding - "larger form factor"? This is garbage, There is no one who thinks the B6 design looks better than the E6 design. The E6 is the best TV design in quite some time.

Nah...the enormo integrated speakers are very 2010. From the side without the speaker the E6 might look better but...yeah...nobody looks at a tv that way. I will admit that I am coming from the perspective of someone who always wall mounts my primary.

Kyoufu

Are you kidding - "larger form factor"? This is garbage, There is no one who thinks the B6 design looks better than the E6 design. The E6 is the best TV design in quite some time.

Plenty of people think the B6 looks better. No ugly soundbar attached, especially when wall mounted.

The Beard

Nah...the enormo integrated speakers are very 2010. From the side without the speaker the E6 might look better but...yeah...nobody looks at a tv that way. I will admit that I am coming from the perspective of someone who always wall mounts my primary.

I agree. Pronounced built-in speakers are so dumb. I would love to see the percentage of people who buy a high-end set and only use the TV's integrated speakers.

Give me hidden speakers every time. I'll add my own.

Theonik

Sony learned that lesson the hard way with the X94C which had fantastic built in speakers fwiw.

People didn't appreciate them though so out they went with the D series. I kinda miss them I like how they looked too wedge was a very successful design. Wasn't too hot on the D series except the ZD design/build wise. (they add subtle enhancements here and there on the same motif as found in X94D)

The Beard

Sony learned that lesson the hard way with the X94C which had fantastic built in speakers fwiw.

People didn't appreciate them though so out they went with the D series. I kinda miss them I like how they looked too wedge was a very successful design. Wasn't too hot on the D series except the ZD design/build wise. (they add subtle enhancements here and there on the same motif as found in X94D)

The X94C was ridiculous looking. Great speakers or not, they added 1 foot of width to the TV, that's absurd. I was not a fan of the wedge design either.

Theonik

The X94C was ridiculous looking. Great speakers or not, they added 1 foot of width to the TV, that's absurd. I was not a fan of the wedge design either.
This is all a matter of taste. I never really got the value of thin televisions. I think they are pointless if you don't reduce the footprint and Sony's wedge was very efficient on that front. Furthermore, better built in speakers mean it's also better suited for places where you might not want to additional clutter of a soundbar or soundsystem. But obviously the market said no on that. The extra width doesn't bother me really I like bezels. make the TV easier to watch and also provide vital space for the backlight mechanism.

The Beard

This is all a matter of taste. I never really got the value of thin televisions. I think they are pointless if you don't reduce the footprint and Sony's wedge was very efficient on that front. Furthermore, better built in speakers mean it's also better suited for places where you might not want to additional clutter of a soundbar or soundsystem. But obviously the market said no on that. The extra width doesn't bother me really I like bezels. make the TV easier to watch and also provide vital space for the backlight mechanism.

The thinness of a TV doesn't mean much to me either, but I felt the wedge was just a pathetic compromise to try to partially appeal to those who prefer thinner TVs.

I can't believe there's someone who actually likes bezels lol. How does a gigantic bezel make a TV "easier to watch".

ZetaEpyon

Hrmm, the 55" C6/B6 are back down to $2000 at Best Buy and Amazon (and elsewhere I presume, these seem to go in lockstep most everywhere)...

Kyoufu

Any particular reason Panasonic doesn't sell in NA?

My understanding is that when plasma died, competition from manufacturers like Samsung, LG and Vizio who established their brands with LCD meant their own LCDs never took off in NA, so they pulled out.

DeVeAn

I have not adjusted any settings but when I enable HDR in first light it mutes the color. Turn it off in game and colors are more saturated. Isn't supposed to be the opposite?

holygeesus

Banned
Why :cry:? I could have bought the E6 but since 3D is dead (and never was a factor to me personally) it offers nothing over the B6 except a larger form factor (ugh). There are many vastly superior audio options so that bar is just in the way.

Because the E6 is a better TV. Maybe not so much now the B6 has a superior response time, but the E6 is more refined overall.

Bog

Junior Ace
Hrmm, the 55" C6/B6 are back down to $2000 at Best Buy and Amazon (and elsewhere I presume, these seem to go in lockstep most everywhere)...

Yeah, what the hell was up with that? I was waiting for a post-Christmas drop and they both went up a grand instead.

Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to sit down and refresh the OP a bit.

I plan to add:

-CES recap
-HDMI section detailing 1.4, 2.0, 2.1 etc
- "how to break in your new TV"

What else?

Oh thank goodness. Was out all weekend and unable to really check up on things and was not wanting to read through all the pages I missed. Good looking out.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Maybe I haven't understood everything about what HDMI 2.1 brings to the table yet, but how much does it change (in theory) on the market?
I'm ready to upgrade (from a Panasonic Plasma 2010) to an OLED this year but this make me unsure about it.

BumRush

My understanding is that when plasma died, competition from manufacturers like Samsung, LG and Vizio who established their brands with LCD meant their own LCDs never took off in NA, so they pulled out.

Crazy...I feel like the name holds a lot of weight in the US, but maybe that's just among people looking for high end sets to replace their plasmas.

Kal

Because the E6 is a better TV. Maybe not so much now the B6 has a superior response time, but the E6 is more refined overall.

I know the B6 has better input lag; how is the E6 a better TV overall? I'm not being facetious, just want to compare as I'm about to pull the trigger on one of them today. The 65" B6 costs about £2799 here in the U.K. and the 65" E6 is about £3799 and I'm wondering if the E6 is worth the £1,000 difference. Thanks :)

offtopic

I know the B6 has better input lag; how is the E6 a better TV overall? I'm not being facetious, just want to compare as I'm about to pull the trigger on one of them today. The 65" B6 costs about £2799 here in the U.K. and the 65" E6 is about £3799 and I'm wondering if the E6 is worth the £1,000 difference. Thanks :)

I'm curious as well now that the "superior processor" argument has been rendered moot (and picture quality is identical). My only thought is that if you want/need 3D (el-oh-el) it is the way to go but that certainly doesn't make it more refined. After 3D you are just choosing form factor and one has speakers attached circa 2010 and one does not. Pretty much any other sound option is going to be better.

I'm curious as well now that the "superior processor" argument has been rendered moot (and picture quality is identical). My only thought is that if you want/need 3D (el-oh-el) it is the way to go but that certainly doesn't make it more refined. After 3D you are just choosing form factor and one has speakers attached circa 2010 and one does not. Pretty much any other sound option is going to be better.

I'm at the same point and so far, the only reason why I might prefer the better SoC is the better support for firmware updates down the line, similar to how the TVs with LG's own SoC got the HDR game mode FW earlier. It would suck a little, if some features couldn't be brought to the B6, because the processor is weaker.

Why the patronising 'el-oh-el' for 3D? It's freaking amazing on the 2016 OLED TV's.

holygeesus

Banned

I'm just going by what professional calibrators have said, in terms of being more precise to calibrate properly and having more 'refined' picture because of this finer tuning. I personally wouldn't pay a grand more for one, as 3D isn't for me. My point was more, that I can get a superior E6 for less than I paid for my B6, not that I'd wished I'd have waited. More than happy here.

Yukstin

So the HDMI cables that came with the XB1 S and the PS4 Pro support HDR right? Also any recommendations on best cheapest HDMI cables I can get on Amazon that will handle everything that my new OLED65E6P can throw at them? Same question in regards to an HDMI Hub/Switch. I want to get a hub so that I can plug more things into the TV. As it stands I have 5 HDMI devices, and I'm going to need more free ports for when I get the Nintendo Switch in a couple months, as well as when I just want to plug a PC/Laptop into it.

I replaced all my HDMI cables with these: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427. They have the certified by HDMI on them so they are guaranteed for 4K. They work with the Xbox S with HDR and regular PS4 with HDR.

offtopic

Why the patronising 'el-oh-el' for 3D? It's freaking amazing on the 2016 OLED TV's.

Yeah I heard it is great. Was mostly a comment directed at the fact that the tech seems to be dead at this point. However, if someone likes it and wants to keep a back-catalog of 3D media the E6 would be a great choice.

J-P

Neo Member
About to pull the trigger myself and was also gonna go E6 as I heard it was better than the B6. Don't care about 3D or the speaker as I have my own and yeah I will mess with the settings but won't get it professionally calibrated. B6 has updated HDR game mode right? Any real reason to spend the extra $$?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm looking at getting a new TV for my bedroom (upgrading my 24-inch Toshiba 1080p), and I'm thinking about getting a 43-inch Sony X800D 4K HDR. At the moment, the TV is going for about $650 (it's already half of its normal retail price), which is alright, but since I'm also saving up for a new phone, cheaper would always be better. So by the time summer comes around, how much cheaper will this TV be?

Real shame, as they do make excellent TV's, the DX902 that I have is arguably one of the best FALD's ever made.

Yukstin

About to pull the trigger myself and was also gonna go E6 as I heard it was better than the B6. Don't care about 3D or the speaker as I have my own and yeah I will mess with the settings but won't get it professionally calibrated. B6 has updated HDR game mode right? Any real reason to spend the extra $$?

E6 has a cool picture on glass design, while the B6 has a more traditional frame look. It probably comes down to which looks better to you. If you have your own speakers and don't care about 3D, I would say the B6 would be your best best.

holygeesus

Banned

If you aren't going to get it professionally calibrated then I can't see why you would want an E6. If you are desperate for 3D and don't mind the curve, the C6 will be cheaper than the E6 but has one less HDMI input.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I replaced all my HDMI cables with these: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427. They have the certified by HDMI on them so they are guaranteed for 4K. They work with the Xbox S with HDR and regular PS4 with HDR.

Out of stock until the end of the month, no biggie though, My PS4 and XB1 will be fine with their pack in cables, and I don't need new ones ASAP. So, I can just order these or the Amazon basics one, and when they come they come.

Now I need a 4K HDR HDMI switch, any recommendations for a good cheep one? I'm going to need one soon, because I already have more devices than there are inputs on the E6, and I'm going to have even more devices to plug into it when the Switch comes out in a couple months.

Theonik

The thinness of a TV doesn't mean much to me either, but I felt the wedge was just a pathetic compromise to try to partially appeal to those who prefer thinner TVs.

I can't believe there's someone who actually likes bezels lol. How does a gigantic bezel make a TV "easier to watch".
In what way is it a pathetic compromise? The X94C was the best TV of 2015, while not thin, (can't do FALD and thin) it had a lower footprint compared to other TV sets of its class. It's the best of both worlds.

With regards to bezels, they make it easier to focus on the edges of the display especially in bright rooms. In dark rooms it doesn't really matter as the bezels should disappear in the dark.

e:
If only Panasonic would get over themselves and support Dolby Vision...
Dolby Vision support is greatly overstated. It's the same reason why Sony didn't bother supporting it last year, it allows manufacturers to better differentiate their sets and Panasonic's processing like Sony is top notch. While Sony implementing DV is nice the format still isn't that healthy and its omission will still not be missed on the Panasonic sets.

Samsung not supporting it alone accounts for more than 48% of TV sales.

Kyoufu

Dolby Vision support is greatly overstated. It's the same reason why Sony didn't bother supporting it last year, it allows manufacturers to better differentiate their sets and Panasonic's processing like Sony is top notch. While Sony implementing DV is nice the format still isn't that healthy and its omission will still not be missed on the Panasonic sets.

Samsung not supporting it alone accounts for more than 48% of TV sales.

DV will certainly be missed on Panasonic sets, as will a good operating system experience.

Yukstin

Out of stock until the end of the month, no biggie though, My PS4 and XB1 will be fine with their pack in cables, and I don't need new ones ASAP. So, I can just order these or the Amazon basics one, and when they come they come.

Now I need a 4K HDR HDMI switch, any recommendations for a good cheep one? I'm going to need one soon, because I already have more devices than there are inputs on the E6, and I'm going to have even more devices to plug into it when the Switch comes out in a couple months.

You maybe out of luck on a proper 4K HDR switch. The best one on Monoprice only does 10 gig pass through and doesn't support HDR output.

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/HDMI_254/HDMI-4x1-True-4K-Selector-Switch-with-ARC-and-HDR_1566 and http://atlona.com/product/at-juno-451/ aren't even available yet and they still don't have enough inputs for what you need.

You're either going to be doing a lot of cable swapping or you'll want to look into an AV receiver to control and switch everything. With ARC on the receiver and TV, you still could use the sound bar and the receiver could just act as a switch for you.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Only the 65" Wallpaper was known as it's already on sale for pre-order.
My local Best Buy has it in their showroom actually. I should go take a look. (edit: wait what, only January 7th? booo!)

Those 77" prices are still ridiculous.

Theonik

DV will certainly be missed on Panasonic sets, as will a good operating system experience.
There's almost no DV content out there and their sets should have much better image processing including tonemapping when compared to LG, and maybe even Sony. I'd wager the CZ1002 will be top performing OLED set of 2017. Book it.

As for the smart TV experience I couldn't care less tbh all my content is fed from much better external devices. If you actually care about PQ the Panasonic is the one to watch. Sony also has a chance to impress.

e:
Haha yeah. I wonder how many of them they actually manage to sell.
It doesn't matter, most people aren't even looking at something so large so these kinds of sets only make sense to make with big margins. They are also ludicrously expensive to produce in those volumes.
e2: The answer is not very many. LG as a whole probably sells less than a million OLED sets a year. The 4K market as a whole is less than 10m in 2016 with Samsung holding almost half of that.

Geneijin

You can get the C6P for 3D also and not spend E6P money.

sector4

I watched Sicario on 4K Blu Ray last night, and it's a pretty great example of the medium, very good image quality. Not a whole lot of Atmos activity, but a solid movie nonetheless!

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I just got tracking on my new TV, it should arrive this Saturday. I'm going to be on a business trip from Thurs-Sun... *sits quietly harboring barely contained toddler tantrum*

Top Bottom