• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

IISANDERII

She pulled it off wow

AzarenkaDance.gif

MIMIC

Banned
AZARENKA BEAT SERENA??!! Holy shit. Good for her! :)

I'm a huge fan of Serena but I can't help but be glad that Vika got a win. (edit: maybe I should have dialed down the shock, because to be honest, I'm not THAT surprised. Vika is legit. But she overcame the mental game this time)

Also,

Dear Tennis. Please stop Nadal.
Sincerely,
MIMIC

LuuKyK

Maria is officially going to replace Sharapova for Sugarpova for the two weeks of the US Open to further promote her line of candies, according to The Times:

Maria Sharapova, the richest female athlete in the world, is planning the most audacious move of her career — changing her surname to Sugarpova for the two-week duration of the US Open, in honour of her line of sweets.

The 26-year-old Russian, a former world No 1, has asked about a “quickie” name-change through the Supreme Court of Florida, where she has a base, and would revert to Sharapova after the tournament. It is understood also that the striking emblem of Sugarpova candy, a pair of red lips will feature somewhere on her attire during the final grand slam of the year.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3847544.ece

The fuck is she doing? lmao I almost created a thread.

szaromir

Banned
It's still amazing that she would do it if not for practical difficulties. Giving the world an impression that you would sell your soul to earn more money is not the best way to promote your brand lol.

Reyne

Bet we are gonna get another Nadal-Federer quarter ( only chance they'll have to meet and the organizers know this match is a cash cow regardless of whether they play good or not ) and then they get Murray in the semis. That leaves Djokovic with the beast, Ferrer, o' course.

Assuming its not completely rigged and chance is actually involved, I hope Federer gets Ferrer quarter and Djokovic semi ( since Nadal is no.2 now he cannot have Murray and Ferrer :/ ). HC goat Nadal can have Murray/Delpo/Janowicz or some such, preferably back to back. :p

scarlet

ferrer? lol .. bad hard court season ..

delpo won washington and the 6th seed

in 2009 he also won washington and 6th seed

it's a sign!

i know he won't win :(

LuuKyK

Maria :((((((((

Not the shoulder again. Hope its nothing serious. I was looking forward to seeing her play again. Get better soon please!

Edit: the fuck?

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters 2m
From what I am hearing, Sharapova will be lucky to be fully healthy by the year end WTA Championships

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters 1m
Sharapova also had a cortisone shot post Wimbledon and a few more shots to try 2 take the pain way. Update soon on http://Tennis.com

I am sad. :( Also, taking cortisone since wimby is pretty wild. I noticed there was something bothering her earlier this year, must have been this. She could barely train serves with connors last week from what I read. That she even managed to play at Cinci is surprising. I really really hope this doesnt end up with another surgery, or worse, a retirement.

scarlet

Maria :((((((((

Not the shoulder again. Hope its nothing serious. I was looking forward to seeing her play again. Get better soon please!

Edit: the fuck?

I am sad. :( Also, taking cortisone since wimby is pretty wild. I noticed there was something bothering her earlier this year, must have been this. She could barely train serves with connors last week from what I read. That she even managed to play at Cinci is surprising. I really really hope this doesnt end up with another surgery, or worse, a retirement.

"@TennisReporters: From what I am hearing, Sharapova will be lucky to be fully healthy by the year end WTA Championships"

clemenx

Banned
Nooooo, I'll be going to NYC next week, I was hoping to stalk her :)

I'm definitely looking forward to it, will be my first slam! I have tickets for the men's QF but I'll be poking around during 1st week.

MIMIC

Banned
Would you change your name for 10 million dollar?

I would change my name to "Corporate Slave" for $10 million :)

EDIT: Oh yeah. Sugarpova's out. Too bad. Hope she gets better. I wonder how far she would have made it. Probably would have been another Serena-Maria SF/F

szaromir

Banned
One player less to cheer against. I'll focus my hater attention on Nadal and Azarenka lol. Main draws are out later today, right?

zero_suit

I would change my name to "Corporate Slave" for $10 million :)

EDIT: Oh yeah. Sugarpova's out. Too bad. Hope she gets better. I wonder how far she would have made it. Probably would have been another Serena-Maria SF/F

I guess it's a good thing she's out, then...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nadal and Federer both have piss-easy draws up until they play each other. Why must they rig the draws so blatantly? Who even wants to watch Federer-Nadal matches these days anyway, they're usually brutal beat-downs unless Nadal is having a really bad day.

Deadman

At least their side is also the ferrer side, so its not too crazy. Djokovic actually got a tough draw for once in his life.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic's draw is crazy, yeah. Murray's is alright up until the QFs, although Berdych can be a danger, and then it's pretty nasty. Ferrer's form is so poor at the moment he could go out pretty much anywhere, so it's not like it matters. Nadal's draw is terrifyingly easy. Federer's is actually really nice apart from meeting Nadal in the QF - if Nadal makes an early exit, I'd definitely pick Federer to make the final from that half. Berdych has an okay draw until he meets Murray. Del Potro's draw is just nasty the whole way through. Gasquet has a fantastic draw up until the QF - maybe he'll finally break his R4 curse? Janowicz-Gasquet or Gulbis-Gasquet could be great matches, though.

Nadal's definitely the favourite, though. Dat draw plus the fact everyone else is in such poor form. Might be controversial but I think Murray's probably the second favourite given Djokovic's draw.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nadal and Fed to finally play at the U.S. Open? Draw gods trying to make it happen

It won't be a proper rivalry until Federer has lost to Nadal at least once in every slam.

LuuKyK

Poor Olderer. Good luck to him.

Also, the WTA draw is a joke. Vika has a free pass to the final, there is no way she wont make it. Will probably be against Serena again.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
five months ago i would have been excited for the possibility of federer and nadal playing at the us open. now i expect one or both to lose before the quarters, and if they both make it it'll be a routine 3 set beatdown from nadal.

federer can only play about a set and a half of great tennis against nadal, and then when you think he might just pull it off, he serves like he's on the wta tour.

best thing about nadal's comeback: we are spared another murray-djokovic grindfest as a final.

szaromir

Banned
Also, the WTA draw is a joke. Vika has a free pass to the final, there is no way she wont make it. Will probably be against Serena again.
tbh there aren't many opponents that can beat her anyway, and I think she got Stosur in round of 16, she managed to comfortably beat Azarenka several weeks ago in Carlsbad final so there's hope she's going down relatively early.

best thing about nadal's comeback: we are spared another murray-djokovic grindfest as a final.
It's not like Nadal-Djokovic is a much better match-up (if it happens). Murray-Nadal leaves me very curious as they haven't played since Tokyo 2011 (where Murray bagaled Dull in the last set lol)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
five months ago i would have been excited for the possibility of federer and nadal playing at the us open. now i expect one or both to lose before the quarters, and if they both make it it'll be a routine 3 set beatdown from nadal.

federer can only play about a set and a half of great tennis against nadal, and then when you think he might just pull it off, he serves like he's on the wta tour.

We'll probably get a Djokovic-Nadal grind-fest, which isn't really that much of an improvement.

Top Bottom