• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
up 30-0, had won 5 of the last 6 games, and then decides it'd be cool to gift his serve. federer.
Nothing was more frustrating than the second set vs Djokovic at RG2012 semis, when Roger raced away to a double break lead only to nonchalantly give it back with two sub-60 seconds long service games.

Tekniqs

haven't watched tennis in a bit. Does federer still have that "extra gear" where he plays like no one deserves to be on the court with him. I know these moments have become pretty rare but do you still see glimpses?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It means Nadal will scoop 20+ slams because he has no competition from the younger generation...

this is one of the reasons why i think the "weak era" nonsense about federer's records is just bullshit. he may not have had a rival like djokovic or murray (though i maintain it would not have mattered since they would have gotten routined by prime-fed), but at least he had respectable young guns coming at his heels. when federer was in his prime a teenager nadal was already dominating clay and djokovic and murray were rising fast. ain't no fucking teen taking even a set from nadal now.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
What a punchline by a SkySports guy. "It's been a successful evening of babysitting for the big Fed".

lol damn. I missed that.

haven't watched tennis in a bit. Does federer still have that "extra gear" where he plays like no one deserves to be on the court with him. I know these moments have become pretty rare but do you still see glimpses?

Not this year really :/

szaromir

Banned
That gear vanished after he choked both sets to Djokovic in the final of the World Tour Finals last year. He still played at very very high level at the Australian Open, but since then it's been a steady and sharp decline. So the short answer is no. His matches are still entertaining though even if for all the wrong reasons :p

MIMIC

Banned
I knew Federer would win. Maybe he didn't maul Grigor like I said he would, but I couldn't see Fed losing to him.

I didn't see the match (was tied and fell asleep)

szaromir

Banned
Have Ferrer and Almugro ever met indoors? Maybe a chance for Almugro to finally get his first win?
edit: yes they have, in Valencia last year.

szaromir

Banned
I think he;ll get through. But that choke means he's going to spend more than an hour more and might not be fresh tomorrow.

edit or maybe not. Broken from 40:0 up :|

Top Bottom