• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Reyne

Fed will only win one title this year? Ouch.

It is a ouch, but at his age, mileage and being out of his physical prime just getting see him play a few more matches is just a bonus. For instance Sampras had 0 titles at the same age because had already retired. Federer is doing well enough to actually get wins over tops guys, tbh.

szaromir

Banned
ferrer playing much better than nadal. will be interesting to see how he manages to lose this time.
Nadal has been mediocre all week. Ferrer is good indoors, I think the conditions play in his hands. Of course, he likes choking against Nadal, so he might indeed lose it.

Reyne

Well, Ferrer certainly is playing at a pretty high level at the moment. Question is if he can keep it up for another set.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nadal has been mediocre all week. Ferrer is good indoors, I think the conditions play in his hands. Of course, he likes choking against Nadal, so he might indeed lose it.

Ferrer is to Nadal as Almugro is to Ferrer...

and Nadal, etc etc

MIMIC

Banned
MIMIC, i've seen you post a lot about your forehand, but how's your backhand? double or single handed?

Single handed.

What kinda forehand?

grip.jpeg

There's also a Western/Extreme Western that goes to 4/5.

Eastern forehand (for now =p)

MIMIC

Banned
your dislike of federer is becoming increasingly perplexing.

LOL, I knew you'd say that :)

Even stranger is that there aren't many players with single handers that are in my personal top 10.

(fake edit: just looked at a list I made in 2012, and the only single hander in my top 10 was Youzhny)

szaromir

Banned
It would be awesome if Ferrer defended his title by beating Berdych, Nadal and Djokovic in succession. I also wonder if that would make him the favorite in London? :p

John Dunbar

correct about everything
as a federer fan would have liked djokovic to have had to play a third set before playing rogi on tuesday, but oh well. poor ferru.

MIMIC

Banned
So as promised, I got my ass beat. lol. 6-1, 6-2. And this wasn't against some nobody; this guy was for all intents and purposes very, very solid.

Some takeaways:

1) I love my new FH. I don't feel hindered at all with it and none of my errors were wild and crazy (like last time). Most of them were just me being a little unsure of the shot since I was experimenting. I hit a lot of winners with it so it's definitely a change I'm gonna stick with. I even hit a successful drop shot with it

2) My serve is definitely getting better. I hit two out-wide aces this time. I've never hit more than 1 ace in a match. lol

3) This match came down to two things: 1) me and 2) me. It seems like everyone I play is a pusher/too afraid to do anything other than hit the ball right back to me. I had this guy running and scrambling almost every point and I'd usually be the one flubbing the last point. So what did I try to do? I tried to think like Federer. lol Put him in the corner or make him reply defensively with my deep/angled shot and come to the net. But since I suck at the net and since I'm experimenting with my forehand, that didn't work too well. I didn't make a single volley :(

I'm thinking that I might try using my weird grip for volleys and my regular grip for everything else. I dunno. I'll experiment with that a little. You're supposed to change your grip for volleys anyway, right?

4) This guy did not have a serve. So no threat there.

Even though the score looks like I was massacred, it was definitely a lot closer than that. I was up a break and serving to consolidate 1*-0 40*-0 in the second (I know, right? lol) And 90% of his games either went to deuce or I had a break point. But I would press. A lot. Sometimes we would just have a 15 shot rally where neither of us would do anything....and he was obviously content with that. I wasn't....and I don't think I ever will be. And if I lose, then it's going to be on my terms.

I didn't feel overwhelmed at all though so I'm pretty content with how I did. I was also hitting the ball a lot softer than I usually would since I was just trying out the new grip. I think now I'll hit it a little harder :) Me and the guy are playing again on Wednesday so we'll see how that goes

Faith

The grip for a volley is basicly the same as for the serve. You hold the racket the way you would hold a hammer. Why? Much more accurate.

By the way, lost a match today too. I had a setball @ 5:4 40:30 and didnt use it. Lost the set in a tiebreak (7:3) and the second set with 6:2. I have to work on my nerves^^

Damn are we all losers today? I just lost a tough 3 setter 6-0, 4-6, 6-3 to a Junior player currently ranked in the top 100 in Texas and top 800 nationally ( Junior Rankings ). First set was misleading as 4 of those games went to deuce but I couldn't pull them out, but this kid has a serve. He only aced me twice in the match, but one was a second serve down the "T" that kicked high over my head. Granted he's 6'2" and I'm 5'7", but I stuck my racket out high over my head and couldn't get a frame on it so it had to have kicked at least 8' in the air. I just laughed that one off.

Otherwise the match was solid, and we both played a high level of tennis. Long rallys, hitting deep into the court etc.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I actually had a good day today, beat this guy's ass 6-1 6-2, and I barely had to try. He was actually up 1-0 40-0 on his serve in the second but I got out of that. Basically just kept hitting it back to him and he'd land an error most of the time, so I was pretty much content to continue rallies til he flubbed one. To be fair though, we did have a couple close games, but nothing to worry about. He was especially terrible at net, which worked out great for me. He didn't make a single volley. We're going to be playing again on Wednesday, so hopefully it'll be another nice, leisurely win for me.

MIMIC

Banned
I actually had a good day today, beat this guy's ass 6-1 6-2, and I barely had to try. He was actually up 1-0 40-0 on his serve in the second but I got out of that. Basically just kept hitting it back to him and he'd land an error most of the time, so I was pretty much content to continue rallies til he flubbed one. To be fair though, we did have a couple close games, but nothing to worry about. He was especially terrible at net, which worked out great for me. He didn't make a single volley. We're going to be playing again on Wednesday, so hopefully it'll be another nice, leisurely win for me.

You are too much, sir. xD

Top Bottom