• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
i'm just glad we got at least one federer-djokovic match this year (and possibly a second one next week). it's an underrated rivalry. and probably the least predictable.
Federer plays well and wins 50% of time, Djokovic plays well and wins 20% of time, Federer plays well and chokes 30% of time. :p

MIMIC

Banned
I'm going back to a regular forehand grip :)

I played this one guy who was pretty good (our match went to a decider, but we couldn't finish..but he forfeited so technically, I won) and my weird grip definitely hinders me when I play a decent player. I could feel it.

The day I was complaining about that tennis coach for losing that match: I'm just going to pretend that that match didn't happen and try again. I've been hitting the wall and I've found that I have more control when I have a tighter grip as opposed to a loose grip....which was probably my problem that fateful day :) I've been unable to get any practice with a real person because my hitting partner cancelled on me TWICE this week >_<

I have a match tomorrow against someone who I think is REALLY good and I may get my ass beat. So that, combined with the fact that I have ZERO practice using the FH, probably won't make things any easier for me. But I have vowed that no matter how the match goes, I am going to stick with the FH and completely abandon my previous one. I'm on a 5-match win streak so losing won't be so bad (if that happens) =p

EDIT: Also, I found that I can get more serve speed if 1) I direct my ball toss slightly in front of me instead of almost above me and 2) if I aim with the right side of the racket face instead of the center. It seems like my body auto-corrects because I was able to hit the perfect serve down the T (deuce court) for the first time....AND was able to hit a perfect out-wide serve. Right on the line. On PURPOSE! lol

I accidentally discovered this when I was practicing my serve. Also, I notice that a lot of club players have some weird ass service motions @_@. I just modeled my serve after what I saw on TV.

(but who am I to judge after having had a stupid FH? lol)

Reyne

Yeah, Djokovic with a very nervy start. You'd think Federer would be the one showing nerves in this situation...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Yeah, Djokovic with a very nervy start. You'd think Federer would be the one showing nerves in this situation...

Federer doesn't really have that much to lose and everyone knows he's the underdog. Djokovic on the other hand can kiss the year end number one dream goodbye if he loses, and he has to play Federer indoors. I could see him being more nervous.

scarlet

ATP Finals
Group A: Nadal, Ferrer, Berdych, Wawrinka.
Group B: Djokovic, Del Potro, Federer, Gasquet.

Easy draw for rafa.

Delpo's bag is stolen, lost his passport and money. Hopefully not his last 2 rackets too.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
WTF groups:

Group A: Nadal, Ferrer, Berdych, Wawrinka
Group B: Djokovic, del Potro, Federer, Gasquet

Congratulations, Nadal.

IISANDERII

I'm going back to a regular forehand grip :)
What kinda forehand?

grip.jpeg

There's also a Western/Extreme Western that goes to 4/5.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Thats why Djokovic isn't the player anymore that he was 2 years ago. He still plays phenomenal tennis, but sometimes he makes these strange mistakes.

my comment was actually about federer, but djokovic does make some silly errors as well.

this is a pretty tense match. there have been practically no easy holds since federer's early service games.

Peru

On one hand I'm enjoying the fact that I've watched a competetive important match between Roggie and Djoker.. on the other hand I'm all tense and annoyed and it's time to turn it off.

Top Bottom