• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm conflicted. i prefer del potro over djokovic, but if he wins federer might not advance even if he beats del potro, since you just know gasquet isn't going to do anything against djokovic.

MIMIC

Banned
Guys. Stop what you are doing and pay close attention. Today is a day that won't soon be forgotten.

MIMIC has leveled up. (WARNING: long post)

lol, but seriously: I have literally gotten exponentially better practically overnight. Had a scheduled match today against a pretty good player....and won 6-1, 6-0. I didn't miss a single overhead smash -- but more to the point: I WANTED to hit smashes. I hit a smash when I was up set point and when I was down break point (but the BP was in a set we played after I won). I have never in my life been comfortable hitting smashes, but today, I was David Ferrer when it came to smashes. They went where I wanted them to go and they were cleanly and convincingly hit.

WTF!

Oh yeah....I was at the net....A LOT today and made most of my volleys. Remember how I said I suck at volleys? I was practically serving and volleying today (and approaching my opponent after returning their serve). I felt comfortable at the net and kinda started brainlessly wandering in, lol.

So what happened?

Well....I was at my favorite spot today: the wall. I was 1) trying to figure out what grip to use to hit a proper BH (because I'm sick of just slicing, even though it works for me), and 2) trying to find out if I should change my grip when I try to volley.

Long story short: I start hitting my 1HBH as hard as my FH. So I'm like, "WTF...did I just figure it out?" So I look down at my racket (to see how I'm holding it) and I've randomly moved my hand about an inch up the handle. I can suddenly hit a low ball with a 1HBH as hard as any of my FHs. I'm still using my thumb. I don't feel impeded at all, so I'm gonna keep positioning my thumb upwards (like giving a "thumbs up").

So I'm hitting the wall with my new backhand and basically, my backhand has become better than my FH. Great! Then I think, "Hmmm...what if I do the same thing with my FH and move my hand up the racket?"

NIGHT AND FUCKING DAY. It was like I was dreaming. I could literally hit the ball ANYWHERE after I moved my hand up. I could cleanly hit drive volleys and smashes....without holding it in the weird way I used to.

Before, I was absolutely unable to hit a volley/smash against the wall unless I was holding it with my weird grip. If I tried to hit it normally, I would frame it 90% of the time. Once I moved my hand up, it was as if my racket turned into a magic wand.

In actual matches when it came to smashes (when my opponent tried to lob me), I would run back, let it bounce, and hit a weak FH reply. Today, I fucking BURIED those smashes. No bounce. Don't need it anymore.

So I employ my new "grip" in my match today. The guy was pretty good, but my new grip was the game changer. He was a really nice guy, but I started pissing him off because of how flawless I was (with my new grip). As I was walking back after hitting a winner, I heard him throw his racket against the ground and it startled me and I started laughing to myself. lol

I got so good at the net that I would just come in on horrible approaches (and obviously got passed). So I had to show some restraint and only come in on GOOD approaches :)

And it translates over to the serve, too. 3 aces, 1, DF. New record. lol

But when I made that smash at 1-5, 0*-40 to win the set, I knew I was a different player :)

The one and only criticism I have of myself is that I don't commit to a lot of my shots and rarely am I ever "in the moment". It's just not in my personality to take things so super seriously....but I'm aggressive, nonetheless. To me, it's "just tennis". I'm afraid that I'll become one of those people who will throw the racket after every missed shot and start smacking balls over the fences. I suppose I have to find a nice medium between "this is life or death" and "hey, it's just a game"

The guy who beat me 6-1, 6-2 (when I was experimenting with my grip): I'm "supposed" to play him tomorrow (it's not an official match though). So we'll see how that goes.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
four games and del potro has hit one winner. you just need to be a consistent pusher to beat federer these days. how sad.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
broken from 40-0. rogi's making a habit of this.

good news is that at this rate del potro will be good and fresh against nadal. maybe that's federer's plan.

Top Bottom