• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Quite the turn around for Bouchard. Also, I honestly didn't know coaching was a thing on the WTA. Imagine that.

Shouldn't be. On court coaching is just the worst.

Diamond

Losing in 3 sets to Gulbis in his current form is hardly something to be ashamed of. Dimitrov has still plenty of time to win something big this season.

Speaking of players on the rise, watch out for Dominic Thiem (playing against Benneteau now). Could quickly become a serious hazard in draws.

I played that kid from the video I posted weeks ago again today in a practice match. I "won" 6-4, 5-7, 3-3 ret.

He got severe blister on his forehand after hitting a serve so we had to cut this 2.5 hr match short. I hate long practice matches with no resolution! If this were a tournament match, I would have gladly taken that result. But, the points we were having were much better that they were in the video I posted....The rallies were longer and I was hitting a much heavier ball by stepping into my shots, breaking my wrist properly, and creating a ton of topspin which allowed my net clearance to average around 6 feet over the net in rallies while getting a pretty good amount of pace on the ball. Yeah I guess its technically "moonballing", but I'm not a professional that can work with slim margins, and this style allows me plenty of wiggle room so I can be more concerned with directing the ball rather than making sure the ball will drop in the court.

edit: Hey match point for Sloane Stephens

MIMIC

Banned
I played that kid from the video I posted weeks ago again today in a practice match. I "won" 6-4, 5-7, 3-3 ret.

He got severe blister on his forehand after hitting a serve so we had to cut this 2.5 hr match short. I hate long practice matches with no resolution! If this were a tournament match, I would have gladly taken that result. But, the points we were having were much better that they were in the video I posted....The rallies were longer and I was hitting a much heavier ball by stepping into my shots, breaking my wrist properly, and creating a ton of topspin which allowed my net clearance to average around 6 feet over the net in rallies while getting a pretty good amount of pace on the ball. Yeah I guess its technically "moonballing", but I'm not a professional that can work with slim margins, and this style allows me plenty of wiggle room so I can be more concerned with directing the ball rather than making sure the ball will drop in the court.

edit: Hey match point for Sloane Stephens

NO EXCUSES! =p

NO EXCUSES! =p

lol. I've definitely played against players my level that are able to hit a consistent flat shot that gets just a 18 in - 2 foot net clearance on every stroke. I can't play that style at all. The only shots I hit flat are overheads, defensive gets, and high shallow forehands that I'm looking to tee off on. The only shot I can hit with low net clearance with consistency is my backhand slice. Thats it. I even try to loop in my first serve ( because I'm only 5'7" its hard to hit it straight down anyway thanks to trajectory and gravity ).

Reyne

Losing in 3 sets to Gulbis in his current form is hardly something to be ashamed of. Dimitrov has still plenty of time to win something big this season.

Speaking of players on the rise, watch out for Dominic Thiem (playing against Benneteau now). Could quickly become a serious hazard in draws.

Definitely. Gulbis is playing some pretty damn solid tennis of late and I wouldn't be surprised if he oust Djokovic, even... Provided Cilic doesn't do it first :p

Also, the crazy shot Dimitrov made. He just can't help himself can he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MNwrU31XHE

In the end, it came down to a few points. I am just happy that we are seeing more and more of Dimitrov lately, as he is starting to become a more consistent player.

Saty

rafa2bpu8v.gif

Deadman

If he gets quite deep in to this tournament federer could be back up to #4 by next week. So many of those ahead of him are out/injured

MIMIC

Banned
I hate pushers. I hate Murray. I hate Radwanska. I hate them all. It's just like the guy I was playing today (same guy from Monday). All they do is stand behind the basline, giving you nothing balls, waiting for you to miss (or come to the net so they can lob you/pass you).

I hit like 5 drop shot winners today because he was so far behind the baseline that it was pretty much the only smart thing to do. He had zero midcourt/baseline winners, while I had several. His only winners came from lobs or passing shots (basically the kinds you'll see from Murray/Radwanska).

I noticed that he LOVES going for the lob when I come to the net, so I started faking like I would come in. He would hit the lob and probably go "OMG, he's not at the net!" So when I hit the ball back, he's totally flummoxed because THEN I'll come to the net. And then he'll miss the shot.

There is only one guy I play that "goes for his shots" and I kick his ass every time. I love me some pace ^_^

EDIT: And if he gets a BP, holy crap. Every shot of his will be like 20 feet over the net
sorry perfectchaos =p

I hate pushers. I hate Murray. I hate Radwanska. I hate them all. It's just like the guy I was playing today (same guy from Monday). All they do is stand behind the basline, giving you nothing balls, waiting for you to miss (or come to the net so they can lob you/pass you).

I hit like 5 drop shot winners today because he was so far behind the baseline that it was pretty much the only smart thing to do. He had zero midcourt/baseline winners, while I had several. His only winners came from lobs or passing shots (basically the kinds you'll see from Murray/Radwanska).

I noticed that he LOVES going for the lob when I come to the net, so I started faking like I would come in. He would hit the lob and probably go "OMG, he's not at the net!" So when I hit the ball back, he's totally flummoxed because THEN I'll come to the net. And then he'll miss the shot.

There is only one guy I play that "goes for his shots" and I kick his ass every time. I love me some pace ^_^

Most players do which is why so many pushers find success! I used to be that type of pusher, but after I put on 30 lbs that game stopped paying dividends because pushers have to be very fast and in top shape to be successful. I'll still "push" in some tight match situations which can really frustrate an opponent and throw them off their rhythm. I recently watched a youtube video that gives some pretty good strategy advice for playing pushers. Check it out when you have time.

edit: I guess I still am technically still a pusher, but I've played opponents that moonball way higher with a much slower pace on the ball than me and plays on my level ( VERY similar to the "pusher" in the video I linked in this post ). So I feel like I'm not nearly the worst offender!

MIMIC

Banned
I hate when Cilic loses because he always works so hard. He looks so sad but never really shows it. :(

I was kinda hoping Cilic would beat Djokovic so he wouldn't have to play Gulbis...who I hope wins the whole thing. Djokovic has enough of these rinky-dink Masters.

Diamond

Most players do which is why so many pushers find success! I used to be that type of pusher, but after I put on 30 lbs that game stopped paying dividends because pushers have to be very fast and in top shape to be successful. I'll still "push" in some tight match situations which can really frustrate an opponent and throw them off their rhythm. I recently watched a youtube video that gives some pretty good strategy advice for playing pushers. Check it out when you have time.

edit: I guess I still am technically still a pusher, but I've played opponents that moonball way higher with a much slower pace on the ball than me and plays on my level ( VERY similar to the "pusher" in the video I linked in this post ). So I feel like I'm not nearly the worst offender!

Judging by the video you posted the other day I wouldn't call you a pusher. Though I have a hard time calling someone like Murray a pusher either (he's definitely too passive sometimes, but at this level of play, you cannot be a pusher, in the classic definition of the term at least).

And I also think that one should respect a pusher, as an opponent. Yes, their game style is ugly, but they usually have real qualities aside (consistency, athleticism) and they can help you understand where your weaknesses are. They are puzzles to resolve, that's what is interesting in tennis.

Also, regarding Indian Wells, I like this year results. Ok, we have a lot of stars out early but a good part of the surviving players have interesting profiles and could use these two weeks as a starting point for something bigger.

Top Bottom