• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Woz has dumped another coach lol.

Also Edberg is going to be sticking with Fed the rest of the year.

MIMIC

Banned
Really happy to see Li pull through. I saw most of the match but had to leave for class at the beginning of the third set.

I'm actually kind of surprised that she won. She seemed so frustrated during the second set (and from what I saw in the third set) and I didn't think she was focused enough to win.

Faith

I got my license today, now I can go to tournaments. Currently I'm ranked as number 65385 (R9) in Switzerland xD

My goal is to reach Top20000 (R7) by the end of the summer season :)

Bigfoot

I got my license today, now I can go to tournaments. Currently I'm ranked as number 65385 (R9) in Switzerland xD

My goal is to reach Top20000 (R7) by the end of the summer season :)
That's awesome. I would have loved to do that when I was younger. I'm far too old now. I will have to live vicariously through my son. Hopefully he is a future tennis star but not looking good at the moment (he is only 2) ;-)

Faith

That's awesome. I would have loved to do that when I was younger. I'm far too old now. I will have to live vicariously through my son. Hopefully he is a future tennis star but not looking good at the moment (he is only 2) ;-)
Unfortunately I'm already 23 years old, I started playing tennis 2 years ago. I always wanted to play tennis but it was so expensive and I didn't had any support of my parents or my older brother. My little brother is 13 years old and also started to play tennis 1.5-2 years ago because of me. I organized a coach and now he's training one day in a week, also bought him the Babolat AeroDrive racket from Nadal. I also pushed him to start going to tournaments. He will get his license in a few weeks. He's so talented. His progression is much faster than mine, he even managed to win a set last week against me (tie break which ended 13:11 for him). Can't imagine how he will play in 10 years if he keeps playing this awesome sport. Hopefully our parents start to support him this year, it's really expensive to finance me and him with a student salary.

Reyne

Starting at 11 is most likely way too late to have any chance at going pro. But good luck to him :)

Well, there is that, but another very important aspect is that going pro is expensive. Even if someone is very talented, the only way to give oneself a decent chance at surviving on the tour is to have that extra cash which certainly isn't going to come from tournaments at the beginning of ones career. Equipment, traveling, coaching and so fort. You might get some degree of sponsorship of course but it will only cover so much...

Still, no reason not to play recreational, because its an awesome sport. Nothing quite like ripping a forehand winner past your opponent, even at a low level. Still, gotta put in the work to get even to that point :p

Reyne

Seem to me that Federer is a terrible match up for Dolgopolov. The Dog will have a hard time going about his business, doing that crazy shot making when Federer is hitting with that much variety. Whether its slices low or deep forehands, Dolg will just try to hit a winner of everything.
Also, serving well helps. He can't read Federer's serve like Raonic's, even if its slower.

Reyne

Yeah, that was quicker than I would have thought. Good performance from Federer. Dolgopolov didn't really have any answers to Federer today.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm still constantly wary that the 2013 federer will come to stay without a warning, but let us enjoy the dream while it lasts, gentlemen.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i like how the balls look in djokovic's pocket when he hits his forehand. looks like he has enormous testicles flopping about.

Top Bottom