• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Watching the match now...is it possible that amateur male players are way faster?

As far as movement around the court? In general women players can move side to side almost as quickly as the men, but struggle more with vertical movement like back stepping. Why this is I'm not sure.

Faith

As far as movement around the court? In general women players can move side to side almost as quickly as the men, but struggle more with vertical movement like back stepping. Why this is I'm not sure.
In terms of movement and speed of forehand. Maybe it's because I'm not there and on TV it looks just slow, but sometimes these forehand shots look sooo slow.

In terms of movement and speed of forehand. Maybe it's because I'm not there and on TV it looks just slow, but sometimes these forehand shots look sooo slow.

Radwanska plays with a large framed racket so the "whip" may seem slower than it would with a smaller racket in her case. And if its really windy, that could slow it down a bit as well

Peru

Yeah, slow loopy forehand really not what you should be watching A-rad for. Disruptive tactics and playful tennis - yes.

if this goes to the third set... smh...

push, aga, push. push like you're giving birth.

Not fair at all for someone so inventive as A-rad, and I say that as someone who doesn't like her as a person.

Saty

The knee gave up at the last games :\ back-to-back 2h30m matches is too much for that. That's why Aga should have closed it in 2 sets. 3 match points, 5-2 lead at the breaker - needed to be aggressive. Blah.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
murray playing well, probably the best since coming back. kind of thought this would be a comfortable match for djokovic, but we got some real tennis here.

Reyne

when murray loses this match he is going to have some legitimate reasons to be pissed off.

He should have put that one point behind him quicker. It was 0-0 in the game. Sure, Djokovic was in the wrong, but the umpire had already made the ruling. No point complaining and feeling sour about it afterward. Had it happened at 40-40 or at break-point then that would have been much much worse.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
well, a good chance for a 3rd federer-djokovic match of the year is good. one of the few rivalries that can still produce entertaining matches.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nishikori is hanging in there. Not letting Fed consolidate his breaks.

Edit: Up 5-4 now

Edit2: Poor play from Federer. We're going 3.

Reyne

You should start betting. ^_^

Anyway, congrats to Nishikori for making what I believe is his second SF in a Master. May he go the distance.

Diamond

Only if the ball has crossed the net back on the other side. What happened exactly?

Here is the footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQgvJBlbOdU

In short, Djokovic reaches over the net to hit the ball. He isn't allowed to do that, unless the ball has itself already crossed the net (then his follow-trough movement can cross), so the point should have gone to Murray. You can see at the end of the video that Andy's ball wouldn't have crossed the net anyway, so it was a double mistake by Novak.

Watching the match now...is it possible that amateur male players are way faster?

Amateurs like you and me ? No way. Amateurs like guys playing just under professional level, playing some Futures tournaments ? Maybe, but in any case Radwanska's strength isn't really her ball speed.

Great victory for Nishikori, I saw only the last games of the match but he was very solid in the last game. Impressive, even more after the thriller against Ferrer. It'll be hard vs Djoko, but like Federer he has his Indian Wells run behind him, so who knows ?

Peru

I wake up to this wtf result - what happened there? I mean I dig Nishikori but I was so impressed with Federer's easy wins and Nishi struggled like hell.

Rainy Dog

I wake up to this wtf result - what happened there? I mean I dig Nishikori but I was so impressed with Federer's easy wins and Nishi struggled like hell.

Yeah, I wondered the same. From what I can gather, was business as usual in the first set and he was up a break twice in the second but didn't consolidate either time. Then Kei's persistance brought out the Fed error's and it became a somewhat messy match after that. Roger's service stats didn't look up to scratch for the first time in a while either.

Shame, but not sure he would've been able to hit through Djoker again on this speed of court anyway.

Here is the footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQgvJBlbOdU

In short, Djokovic reaches over the net to hit the ball. He isn't allowed to do that, unless the ball has itself already crossed the net (then his follow-trough movement can cross), so the point should have gone to Murray. You can see at the end of the video that Andy's ball wouldn't have crossed the net anyway, so it was a double mistake by Novak.

Ah thanks. Wow on that last view Djokovic's racket and even part of his arm were clearly over the net before the ball got on his side of the court. But like you mentioned, Murray's ball was going in the net anyway.

Faith

Ah thanks. Wow on that last view Djokovic's racket and even part of his arm were clearly over the net before the ball got on his side of the court. But like you mentioned, Murray's ball was going in the net anyway.
Doesn't matter, Djokovic should have lost this point.

"Over the net, not on the other side" -> LOL. Does this umpire know what he's talking about?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Yeah, I wondered the same. From what I can gather, was business as usual in the first set and he was up a break twice in the second but didn't consolidate either time. Then Kei's persistance brought out the Fed error's and it became a somewhat messy match after that. Roger's service stats didn't look up to scratch for the first time in a while either.

Shame, but not sure he would've been able to hit through Djoker again on this speed of court anyway.

Roger dipped in the middle of the second while Nishikori improved. By the third set Nishikori was playing infinitely better than Federer, and the latter had that grumpy look he always gets where it seems like he'd rather be home. Very lifeless play for the most part, lots of weak netted backhands. Not undermining Kei at all though, he got better as the match went on.

Faith

Federer is going to be the new nr4 anyway. There will be some changes. Murray down to 9, Gasquet out of Top10, Raonic back on 10.

Top Bottom