• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
When in doubt, just think to yourself, "what would MIMIC do?" and do the opposite. You'll be fine.

Thanks for that, this way I managed to win the match :D

6:1 6:7 6:1

Next match in 40 minutes!

Lost the second match, he won 7:5 6:4 :(

It was 4:1 in the first set for me, but my serve got completely lost. I was totally dominating the rallies and we had a lot of them, some really good points. He sad after the match "if you would have a better serve I wouldn't have a chance". His 1st serve in percentage was around 75%. And I had around 15-20 double faults. It was my only weakness, everything else was perfect. Eventough it was a 2 set match, it was longer than the first (1.5 hours) with 2 hours.

But I'm satisfied with my play. Really awesome forehand, a lot of winners down the line. Even a good backhand. Now I have to train my serve.

"MIMIC would serve well....do the OPPOSITE"

lol

But Jesus...15 double faults?! Most I've ever hit in a match was 2 or 3. The last time a guy DFed that many times against me, I beat him 6-0, 6-0.

Were you trying to go for more (because he was an aggressive returner), or were you just unable to find the range on your serve? Sometimes when I don't feel like going for a second serve, I hit a serve that's right in the middle of my 1st and 2nd serve. It's usually pretty effective because my opponent will be expecting a hard, fast 1st serve and they usually don't make the adjustment in time.

And in pro-tennis news, the Monte Carlo draw is out. Projected 3rd round matches:

Nadal-Seppi/Youzhny
Dimitrov/Granollers-Ferrer
Wawrinka-Almagro
Robredo/Qualifier-Raonic

Tsonga-Sousa/Fognini
Janowicz-Federer
Dolgopolov/Gulbis-Berdych
Anderson/Monfils-Djokovic

Good to see more of you guys are playing competitively. I just joined a 4.5 league that will be starting up in a couple weeks, and I'm playing in a 4.5 tournament next weekend. I've been doing a lot better in 4.5 tournaments lately, infact I'm even seeded in this tournament coming up this weekend. I play my round of 64 match on Friday.

MIMIC

Banned
Good to see more of you guys are playing competitively. I just joined a 4.5 league that will be starting up in a couple weeks, and I'm playing in a 4.5 tournament next weekend. I've been doing a lot better in 4.5 tournaments lately, infact I'm even seeded in this tournament coming up this weekend. I play my round of 64 match on Friday.

We should organize a GAF tennis tournament. Of course I'll be the top-seeded player with a first round bye :)

Everyone move to Florida so we can get this thing started!

Of course I'm joking :p

You better be! :)

MIMIC

Banned
My 2nd serve is just soooo bad. I even tried to serve 2 times a 2nd serve to reduce DF, but that didn't help.

What's your mindset going into your second serve? It it more about you trying to get it in play, or more about worrying that your opponent is going to pummel it?

Diamond

We should organize a GAF tennis tournament. Of course I'll be the top-seeded player with a first round bye :)

Everyone move to Florida so we can get this thing started!

If someone pays the Paris-Miami flight for me, I'm all for it ! :)

And everyone : don't hesitate to post videos of you playing if you have the occasion, it's always interesting to see.

My 2nd serve is just soooo bad. I even tried to serve 2 times a 2nd serve to reduce DF, but that didn't help.

If I read your posts correctly they made you play two matches in one day, and both were pretty long. There's a good chance you made all these DF because you were a little tired (you burn even more energy in a tournament situation, because there's more stress) and, even unconsciously, maybe weren't doing a good gesture anymore.
I think the solution is, as you said already, focus on the serve in training. The more you'll do it, the more it'll be efficient and resilient to fatigue.

Good luck for that ! I'm entering a tournament next month and will try to do several others during summer.

Faith

Kind of true, my serve was better in the first match. But I was warm in the second, played a lot better overall.

@MIMIC
I'm not afraid of a strong return when my serve isn't fast. I just try to get the ball into the field. 90% of my DFs were balls that hit the net.

Diamond

Kind of true, my serve was better in the first match. But I was warm in the second, played a lot better overall.

Ok, maybe it's more of a technical thing. But a serve can go wrong because of tiny details, so I think the hour and a half you played earlier definitely played a part, however slight it may be, in these DFs. If you're more comfortable on your groundstrokes and less on your serve, it's the serve who will suffer first.

@MIMIC
I'm not afraid of a strong return when my serve isn't fast. I just try to get the ball into the field. 90% of my DFs were balls that hit the net.

Maybe your toss was too much ahead of you into the court ? I already wrote it, but try to work the topspin serve. It'll help you gain some security over the net. It's not an easy shot to learn but the sooner you'll work it, the better it'll be for future seasons. :)

MIMIC

Banned
Verdasco wins Houston.....so he takes a dive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WuNPv2e66g&feature=youtu.be

@MIMIC

Hmm...maybe it's a technical thing (like Diamond). In my last match (which was a 4-setter), I hit 2 double faults: one was into the net and the other was a bit past the service line.

Whenever I hit it into the net, it's because I'm not committing to the serve (which was true in this case). When it goes over, but is past the service line....I'm not really sure why I did it, lol. Probably just a slight miscalculation/hesitation right before contact.

Faith

I played 3.5 hours today to get everything right. I served around 200 balls and I think my 2nd serve is now better. Next match will be this Saturday. 13:30 and 16:30 o'clock (if I win the first).

Jay Sosa

Nah, the clay god got this.

muster_rolandgarros_1995.jpg

?

Faith

I wonder how Ferrer will manage today to lose this match.

This set was soooo long, almost as long as both matches Djokovic played.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
nadal-ferrer matches on clay really are classic tragedies. you always know how it's going to end, but it's still thrilling to get there.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
poor ferru's heart is going to break when he finds a way to lose this.

edit: ferrer serving for the match at 5-2. surely not even him can bottle this now.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
wouldn't be surprised if ferrer makes the final now. his consistency is poison to wawrinka if the swiss isn't absolutely on fire.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
federer had 0-30 on tsonga's serve with tsonga looking like there was something wrong with his foot, so it was clear federer would lose the next four points.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
but one thing is certain, federer will always be capable of breaking himself.

hoping for a 3rd set so federer can go for 0/20.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
If I were Tsonga and I lost this tiebreak, I would make sure to take a nice long medical timeout after it to cry a little.

Top Bottom