• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Reyne

Well, an all Swiss final at Monte Carlo it is. Not the way I wanted Federer to win this match, but what can he do. Djokovic played alright in the beginning, but it seems the injury caught up with him, which is too bad.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So either Stan wins his first Masters event or Federer wins his first Monte Carlo. Should be fun.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
now i'm even more baffled that djokovic even bothered to show up, though. why would you risk playing in that condition?

Well, he did get a bit of a bad reputation for pulling out unnecessarily early in his career. That can stick with a player.

Also, I'm not looking forward to the lapdog capitulating. This is by far the worst possible match-up that could have happened.

I hope Djokovic heals quickly. At least in time before the RG warm up tournament. If RG is his first tournament back he has no chance.

Also, I'm physically and mentally drained from the tennis I've played the past couple of days. Won my first round 6-1, 6-2. As routine as that scoreline sounds, our match lasted just shy of 2 hours. We had many long rallies with quite a few duece games that went back and forth. Fortunately, I won most of them.

I then won my second round match 6-2, 6-3. This college age guy had a big forehand, so I tried to keep it away from him as best as I could, but if I hit enough balls back he would eventually go for a winning shot attempt that would result in a winner maybe 30% of the time, and an error 70% of the time. So if he hit a winner past me, it didn't phase me or give me cause of panic because I knew he would probably miss the next time he tried going for it.

Those matches took place yesterday. My 3rd round match was this morning at 8am, and I lost in 3 sets. I'm not a morning person. I ate a good breakfast at 6:30am, arrived on the court at 8am and before I knew it, I was down 5-0 in the first set. I was just going through the motions really, because mentally I was still sleeping even if my body was moving. I woke up and won the next 3 games, but then he held to close out the first set 6-3. I had some momentum though which carried through to the 2nd set. I won the second set 6-4. The 3rd set was a let down. Almost all the breaks went his way including a ball my opponent hit that dribbled over the net to end a 25+ ball rally, which gave my opponent a break point he would end up converting on the next point. I ended up losing that set 6-2.

All in all, it was a good tournament, just frustrating losing those 3 setters especially after my turnaround after being down 5-0 at the beginning of the match. The tournament I played in last month I had similar results ( won my first 2 matches in straights, then lost the 3rd match in 3 sets ). I'm so close to getting over that hump. A win today would have put me in the quarter finals, but it was not to be. Hopefully the next tournament I play I can finally get over that 3rd round hump and make myself into a contender.

Faith

Like I said, yesterday I won the first match against this ***** who doesn't know to play tennis. All he did the whole time was pushing the ball back to me really high, fucking moonballer. It drove me so crazy after losing the first set 6:2 that I tossed my racket on the ground and now it has 2 cracks and it's unplayable now -.- Already looking for a second one on eBay (I have 2 times the same racket). I couldn't believe that he was winning whit this style of play, he never approached to the net. He just returned almost everything, no matter how hard I hit the ball, causing me to play more risky and make more unforced errors. Luckily I won the match 2:6 6:2 6:4. Lesson learned: just stay calm.

The second one was a lot tougher. His serve was lethal, I couldn't adjust and lost the first set 6:1. In the second set I was on fire. I could even return these amazing serves and managed to lead 4:3 40:15 on his serve. And he saved himself with his fucking serve! 2 Aces trough the middle :( He won the second set 6:4. After the match he told me that he played a lot of tennis and started to go to tournaments 2008. So he had probably around 150 matches by now, maybe even more. Looking at my career (it was my 4th match and I started to play tennis 1.5 years ago) I was really satisfied with myself.

Now everything works just fine. My serve is good, no more double faults. My forehand is really good, my backhand is ok (no handicap but also no weapon) and I feel safe at the net. Now I just have to improve everything. I need to play faster without increasing unforced errors. This way I will manage to beat someone like him in a couple of months :)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
federer gets the first break. wawrinka pretty much gifted it. stan the man.

i did put some money on wawrinka so i wouldn't be that bummed if federer doesn't finally get a monte carlo title. hedging my bets, hurhur.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wawrinka can take this IMO, he plays well enough but somehow Federer just seems to be 1 step ahead a lot of times

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Tiebreak time.

Really just that one gift. Very small margins there. Hope Fed can take the third.

Faith

Yes! Got a Babolat AeroDrive racket from eBay for only 65 euros! Nobody realised that it is the new one, the 2013 model :D

Like I said, yesterday I won the first match against this ***** who doesn't know to play tennis. All he did the whole time was pushing the ball back to me really high, fucking moonballer. It drove me so crazy after losing the first set 6:2 that I tossed my racket on the ground and now it has 2 cracks and it's unplayable now -.- Already looking for a second one on eBay (I have 2 times the same racket). I couldn't believe that he was winning whit this style of play, he never approached to the net. He just returned almost everything, no matter how hard I hit the ball, causing me to play more risky and make more unforced errors. Luckily I won the match 2:6 6:2 6:4. Lesson learned: just stay calm.

The second one was a lot tougher. His serve was lethal, I couldn't adjust and lost the first set 6:1. In the second set I was on fire. I could even return these amazing serves and managed to lead 4:3 40:15 on his serve. And he saved himself with his fucking serve! 2 Aces trough the middle :( He won the second set 6:4. After the match he told me that he played a lot of tennis and started to go to tournaments 2008. So he had probably around 150 matches by now, maybe even more. Looking at my career (it was my 4th match and I started to play tennis 1.5 years ago) I was really satisfied with myself.

Now everything works just fine. My serve is good, no more double faults. My forehand is really good, my backhand is ok (no handicap but also no weapon) and I feel safe at the net. Now I just have to improve everything. I need to play faster without increasing unforced errors. This way I will manage to beat someone like him in a couple of months :)

Wow, I've been playing tennis for 10 years and my serve is still terrible. How often do you practice yours?

MIMIC

Banned

I love this post already :)

Yo someone needs to set up a non-sanctioned tennis-GAF open.

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where time and money were not an issue so we could all play in this tournament regardless of location? One day...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yo someone needs to set up a non-sanctioned tennis-GAF open.

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where time and money were not an issue so we could all play in this tournament regardless of location? One day...
Let Evilore set it up, I'll bust you all up :p

Andy Roddick hits balls at his co-hosts on Fox Sports Live

Aftermath

Bli7Qh4CUAAM8c2.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Did I say something wrong? :p

Nah, it's just something I would post. In fact, I think I started one of my posts exactly like that.

I just long reading angry posts in general :)

Also, I'm out of town (or rather, in town....I guess) and I met up with my old tennis buddies. Apparenly, I'm the only one that upgraded :)

I played 4 super tie breaks against one of them....but with one catch: the person who opens the tiebreak serves during the ENTIRE tiebreak. Once it's over, the other player serves during the next tiebreak, and you go back and forth until you decide to quit. It gives the server a longer opportunity to work on serves and the returner a longer time to work on returns. Never played something like this but it was fun.

Mind you, this guy BAGELED me the last time we played last year :(

We played 4 tiebreaks and I won all 4. During one of the tiebreaks where I was serving, I won 10-0 and at one point when I was returning, I was up 8-1 (he won the next couple of points and then I won the next two).

My serving and returning has improved immensely between last year and this year. He isn't that good of a server, and I was standing inside the baseline to return his first serve and almost near the service line to return his second serve. No way would I have been bageled if I was that confident with my returning last year.

When the one guy took his mask off, I thought his head was bleeding xD

Top Bottom