• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

LuuKyK

We had a bit of a rarity there in Stuttgart with MS and Safarova - a triple tiebreak three-setter.

That match almost gave me a heart attack.

A great and entertaining one though, glad Maria found a way to win it somehow, even after that huge choke in the third set.

Jay Sosa

Andy Roddick hits balls at his co-hosts on Fox Sports Live

Aftermath

Bli7Qh4CUAAM8c2.jpg

Man poor Lem can't catch a break can he.

It seems we are privy to an off the juice Nadal, not unlike what we saw at the end of the '09 season: the unnatural explosiveness is gone.

Expect a long "injury" break again later this year.

It seems we are privy to an off the juice Nadal, not unlike what we saw at the end of the '09 season: the unnatural explosiveness is gone.

Expect a long "injury" break again later this year.
Yep. We saw the mega cycles he used to thrpugh now until after Wimbledon. Look at him in the early rounds there the past two years.

Diamond

Yep. We saw the mega cycles he used to thrpugh now until after Wimbledon. Look at him in the early rounds there the past two years.

One thing I don't completely get is why did you choose Rafa=FedKilla as your username if you don't like Nadal and think he's on steroids. That's like being a Republican and coming up with "ObamaownsRomney" or something.

One thing I don't completely get is why did you choose Rafa=FedKilla as your username if you don't like Nadal and think he's on steroids. That's like being a Republican and coming up with "ObamaownsRomney" or something.

His username is more fact than opinion. It's not "Rafa=GOAT" or something lol

Faith

I know it's an old news but I think nobody knew about it: http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/11/14/evolution-of-tennis-speeds-up/

Here is a list of time violations in 2013 by the 30 highest ranked players on the ATP Tour.

Rafael Nadal: 30
John Isner: 14
Juan Martin del Potro: 11
Fabio Fognini: 11
Novak Djokovic: 10
Tomas Berdych: 9
Ernests Gulbis: 9
Richard Gasquet: 8
Andy Murray: 6
David Ferrer: 2
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: 1
Roger Federer: 0
Stanislas Wawrinka: 0
This rule is still so stupid.

Diamond

His username is more fact than opinion. It's not "Rafa=GOAT" or something lol

Yeah I get it but it still seems odd.

I know it's an old news but I think nobody knew about it: http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/11/14/evolution-of-tennis-speeds-up/

This rule is still so stupid.

Interesting list and the ranking is not surprising. A few seasons back Nole would have been even higher.
I don't know about the rule in itself... I agree it's maybe a little restrictive to count seconds like this, but it's a competitive sport, if there was no rule at all there would be many problems too.

Faith

What a shitty day. I don't remember when I played last time that bad, maybe 1-2 years ago when I started to play tennis? Today I lost 6:1 6:1 against this guy who definitely was beatable. He wasn't thaaaat good, the last one who won 6:1 6:4 against me was way better, and I played way better. Today my forehand was completely gone, I had around 100 million unforced errors with my forehand. It was so bad that I started to laugh after every error and talked with myself like "Yeah that was good, next time hopefully out of the field into the cornfield" and stuff like that. Serve, backhand, volleys were ok, not a handicap. I lost because this fucking forehand didn't work at all today and normally it's my weapon.

It's one of these days that I'm thinking about to stop playing tennis.

What a shitty day. I don't remember when I played last time that bad, maybe 1-2 years ago when I started to play tennis? Today I lost 6:1 6:1 against this guy who definitely was beatable. He wasn't thaaaat good, the last one who won 6:1 6:4 against me was way better, and I played way better. Today my forehand was completely gone, I had around 100 million unforced errors with my forehand. It was so bad that I started to laugh after every error and talked with myself like "Yeah that was good, next time hopefully out of the field into the cornfield" and stuff like that. Serve, backhand, volleys were ok, not a handicap. I lost because this fucking forehand didn't work at all today and normally it's my weapon.

I've been there a billion times. You just have to get those matches out of your mind because you know you're a better player than that. Chalk it up as a bad day and move on.

Saty

I'm late but:

rafa2bpu8v.gif

Nadal looks more beatable on clay than he ever was. Please Mirka, keep that baby in until after RG.

Diamond

My two cents :

- Matches like these will always happen. Look at Federer or Djokovic, they have days where they play like shit and we wonder why. Imagine someone who isn't as trained and gifted as them. Well you get the picture. It's hard to play consistently good tennis, at any level, that's one of the reasons why it's such an interesting sport.

- You've been playing for only two years. You've already won tournament matches ! You have still plenty of room for improvement. Take this match (and the following matches where you'll play like shit, because there will be some !) like a motivation to keep working and enhance your game. And you'll see these days will progressively happen less.

Faith

- Matches like these will always happen. Look at Federer or Djokovic, they have days where they play like shit and we wonder why. Imagine someone who isn't as trained and gifted as them. Well you get the picture. It's hard to play consistently good tennis, at any level, that's one of the reasons why it's such an interesting sport.

- You've been playing for only two years. You've already won tournament matches ! You have still plenty of room for improvement. Take this match (and the following matches where you'll play like shit, because there will be some !) like a motivation to keep working and enhance your game. And you'll see these days will progressively happen less.
Thanks for the words.

pe7f97xg.png

It's like this. It is a constant progressing (I know that I'm improving every month), but always with these ups and downs. It's just frustrating when I have a down when it's important to play my best tennis, like yesterday.

Faith

Lol now I remember that I had a dream last night about Dimitrov. I was playing against him and won a set xD

First tennis dream.

Diamond

Lol now I remember that I had a dream last night about Dimitrov. I was playing against him and won a set xD

First tennis dream.

Haha, one night I dreamed of Nadal. We didn't play, we just were buddies and he was super nice.

I still prefer Roger though ! :D

Reyne

Dimitrov just picked up his first clay title in Bucharest, beating defending champion Rosol in 7-6 6-1. Good little confidence booster for the rest of the clay season, I reckon.

LuuKyK

Congrats on the third consecutive Stuttgart title
and Porsche
Maria. I really didn't think she would turn this match around, but I keep forgetting how big of a fighter she is, and how big of a mental midget Ana can be. lol

ib0ckyI8CqQh8J.gif

Third Stuttgart title in a row and 51-5 record on clay since 2011.

edit: Oh nice, 30th title

Crazy. Since 2011 the only player she lost to on Clay was Serena. Thats pretty incredible.

MIMIC

Banned
So I think I have my backhand sorted out: the shot is DEADLY if I delay the wind-up/rotation.

It's so weird. I'm watching Federer and Gasquet and their wind ups are a lot earlier than mine. My wind up is basically a milisecond before I make contact. If I were to compare it to anything, it would be Dolgopolov's serve because it happens so quickly.

Theoretically, because I'm giving myself so little time to get ready for the shot, I should be shanking it, but I hit it better than I have ever done before. And ironically, the earlier my wind-up/rotation is, the more likely I'll miss-hit it.

Feels great :)

Faith

I injured my back today. Don't know how, but it hurts a lot. I got a local anaesthesia and some strong painkillers. Can't breathe normally because the lung touches the muscle that hurts. Sitting is also really painful. Now I'm waiting till the painkillers kick in.

Hopefully it will be over by the weekend. I have a match to play.

i8js4qgs.jpg

I injured my back today. Don't know how, but it hurts a lot. I got a local anaesthesia and some strong painkillers. Can't breathe normally because the lung touches the muscle that hurts. Sitting is also really painful. Now I'm waiting till the painkillers kick in.

i8js4qgs.jpg

Buy some tubes of Icy Hot and apply generously to the afflicted area. When I had my lower back issues, it worked wonders.

Diamond

So I think I have my backhand sorted out: the shot is DEADLY if I delay the wind-up/rotation.

It's so weird. I'm watching Federer and Gasquet and their wind ups are a lot earlier than mine. My wind up is basically a milisecond before I make contact. If I were to compare it to anything, it would be Dolgopolov's serve because it happens so quickly.

Theoretically, because I'm giving myself so little time to get ready for the shot, I should be shanking it, but I hit it better than I have ever done before. And ironically, the earlier my wind-up/rotation is, the more likely I'll miss-hit it.

Feels great :)

Funny. I recently pushed myself to prepare my shots earlier and I gained a good amount of security thanks to that. Everyone's different I guess.

i8js4qgs.jpg

You hurt yourself while playing ? Take really care of your back, some injuries can bother you for months if not taken care of correctly.

Top Bottom