• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Reyne

So I think I have my backhand sorted out: the shot is DEADLY if I delay the wind-up/rotation.

It's so weird. I'm watching Federer and Gasquet and their wind ups are a lot earlier than mine. My wind up is basically a milisecond before I make contact. If I were to compare it to anything, it would be Dolgopolov's serve because it happens so quickly.

Theoretically, because I'm giving myself so little time to get ready for the shot, I should be shanking it, but I hit it better than I have ever done before. And ironically, the earlier my wind-up/rotation is, the more likely I'll miss-hit it.

Feels great :)

Sounds like a backhand flick. Federer does those occasionally, particularly when on the run or when he simply doesn't have time to set up the shot because the ball comes right at him. Well, most players do a flick from time to time, though they are rarely good shots.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wuO93GgwcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYWytc8RmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raE2BklE6tY

Either way, seem like you have good reaction and reach, but your anticipation and footwork isn't there. The flick is made on instinct while the proper positioning, wind-up and follow-through is all insight. You can be born with the former, but only a buttload of training can get you the latter. Thats how I see it anyway.

You hurt yourself while playing ? Take really care of your back, some injuries can bother you for months if not taken care of correctly.

This. Injuries sucks. But sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. Giving oneself a months rest or so, even if you feel fine, no pain/discomfort/swelling. I should know, since I managed to get a meniscus tear on both my knees on different occasion. Luckily for me they were both minor tears and didn't require operation, but I was still more reckless the first time it happened and the injury lingered longer than it should have. Second time it happened I recognized it immediately and stopped playing for over a month, even though I felt fit to train earlier than that. Bandage, ice and painkillers may seem like magic, at the time, but they can be deceptive too. Now I only play when I can manage without those.

MIMIC

Banned
Sounds like a backhand flick. Federer does those occasionally, particularly when on the run or when he simply doesn't have time to set up the shot because the ball comes right at him. Well, most players do a flick from time to time, though they are rarely good shots.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wuO93GgwcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYWytc8RmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raE2BklE6tY

Either way, seem like you have good reaction and reach, but your anticipation and footwork isn't there. The flick is made on instinct while the proper positioning, wind-up and follow-through is all insight. You can be born with the former, but only a buttload of training can get you the latter. Thats how I see it anyway.

I really need to record myself, lol. I'll see if I can do it tomorrow.

I wouldn't call it a "flick" because I still have the wind-up and the follow through. I used to do something a while ago that more closely resembled a flick (although I considered it a "punch" more than a flick) but I moved away from that.

Hopefully, I can show it tomorrow :)

Saty

However, Wimbledon's seeding system, which takes into account past performances on the grass surface, means it is unlikely Murray would find himself outside the top four seeds even if his world ranking does not improve.

Seedings at Wimbledon are generally based on ATP rankings but the fact that Murray was unbeaten on grass last year and reached the Wimbledon final in 2012 as well will count in his favour, according to All England Club chairman Philip Brook.

"For Andy Murray, as the winner of Queen's last year and the winner here last year, and a finalist here in 2012, there will be a significant impact on him," he told a news conference.

Ezi0

lol Wawa
https://twitter.com/stanwawrinka/status/459983519771791360/photo/1

BmIwkpIIcAAcHxJ.jpg

That's great lol.

MIMIC

Banned
The wait is over! I finally recorded myself hitting some balls against the wall. I tried to use as little slice as possible so.....yeah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbTjtE6w4Yo&feature=youtu.be

(and yes, the quality is crappy, lol)

I played a set against one of my new tennis buddies (and won 6-1, and most of my service games were a breeze, mostly because of my serve) and I found that afterwards, my BHs were a lot easier to hit. I just needed some rhythm.

EDIT: I was gonna record myself hitting some hard backhands/forehands (if anyone wanted to see me in intense mode, lol), but my tennis buddy texted me and wanted to play.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The wait is over! I finally recorded myself hitting some balls against the wall. I tried to use as little slice as possible so.....yeah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbTjtE6w4Yo&feature=youtu.be

I played a set against one of my new tennis buddies (and won 6-1, and most of my service games were a breeze, mostly because of my serve) and I found that afterwards, my BHs were a lot easier to hit. I just needed some rhythm.

EDIT: I was gonna record myself hitting some hard backhands/forehands (if anyone wanted to see me in intense mode, lol), but my tennis buddy texted me and wanted to play.

Man, the wall really had your number. Returned everything you hit at it.

Not bad not bad. For as wide as a take back as you have on your strokes, your rhythm is very fluid. I know hitting against the wall is very different from a human opponent, but I did notice you retreat back just before hitting your shots quite a bit. You want to try to avoid that in matches....hit your shot with momentum going forward, then quickly retreat back to position if you have to.

And I'm glad I finally got a look at your funky yet effective backhand slice. You keep the racket face up just slightly when hitting your backhand so the slice comes naturally off the strings. If it works for you, I wouldn't change it.

MIMIC

Banned
^lol

And perfectchaos007: Yeah...I don't do the backing up thing in matches, but I do it often when I'm just practicing. I don't know why @_@ I guess it's mostly out of the habit of never hitting a proper backhand (and just opting for slices). I'm still trying to get the footwork down.

Also, if I'm not too lazy (and if it doesn't rain), I'll see if I can record myself serving.

MIMIC

Banned
Elena Baltacha has died from liver cancer.

Utterly tragic. I always liked her and her enthusiasm for the game and tennis in Britain. I'm not normally taken aback too much by celebrities passing away but this one has me pretty rattled for some reason. Just awful.

Wow. That is such horrible news. For the life of me, I can't remember ever seeing her play (or hearing her name). Nonetheless, here's a small write-up given from Tignor (Tennis.com)

R.I.P. Elena Baltacha

Finally, tennis fans were stunned this weekend by the news that Baltacha, 30, the former British No. 1, had died of liver disease at age 30. Andy Murray led his fellow pros in a silent tribute to Baltacha in Madrid, and remembrances from other players flowed in on Twitter.

I didn’t know Baltacha well, but on hearing of her death I immediately thought back to watching her play at Eastbourne just last summer. On a tiny side court, it was impossible not to get a visceral sense of her intensity and presence as a competitor and an athlete—she fairly burst out of that tournament's quiet, staid, seaside scene. Which only makes it more shocking, and awful, that all of that intensity, all of that life, is no longer with us.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nishi on track for a slam. Goddamn can't wait for his RG performance

Also, I thought the twins again post was a joke. It's actually real? Holy shit. Congrats on the healthy kids Fed

MIMIC

Banned
So Fed had another set of twins? Congrats to him and his wife.

But seriously.....if I were his wife, I'd be pressuring him to call it a career pretty soon.

EDIT: Also, Wawrinka lost in the first round? That's.....wow. I saw the first set before heading out the door, thinking it would be a blowout.

Reyne

Congrats to the Federers. Getting twins again, thats amazing.

Anyway, watch out for Dominic Thiem. Many predicted that he was the real deal back a few months ago when he pushed Murray to three in Rotterdam and lo, he gets his first top 10 win here in Madrid. I mean sure, Wawrinka wasn't playing his best tennis in the second round, however, Thiem got a big game and a gutsy attitude and wasn't going away so he definitely earned that win. He is one to look out for.

MIMIC

Banned
WHAT THE HELL

So in addition to Jame Blake's mansion burning down, here's what happened INSIDE:

3 dead in fire at home belonging to tennis star James Blake
The cause of death was not revealed by the Sherrifs Department, though information given to Meredyth Censullo indicates the deaths were caused by gunshots to the head, not the fire itself. Censullo is also reporting that heavy-duty fireworks were wrapped around the heads of the deceased and that additional fireworks were rigged in such a manner as to prevent firefighters from entering the building due to concerns about unpredictable explosions.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/5/7/56...-at-home-belonging-to-tennis-star-james-blake

Serena pulled out of Madrid with a hip injury, but she'll be ready for the French.

Masha looks to be in good form right now as she upset Li Na.

Nadal def. Berdych 6-4, 6-2 so he's in the semis

Peru

C Garcia is suddenly doing things these past few months and looking very interesting for the French Open. Talent is obvious.

LuuKyK

Serena pulled out of Madrid with a hip injury, but she'll be ready for the French.

Masha looks to be in good form right now as she upset Li Na.

Nadal def. Berdych 6-4, 6-2 so he's in the semis

It was a left tight injury actually. Not hip.

Also, ClayPova finding her goat form lately. Now that Serena is out she better not flop to Radwanska. I really wanted her to win stuttgart, madrid and rome. That would be awesome in preparation to the FO.

Peru

Also, ClayPova finding her goat form lately. Now that Serena is out she better not flop to Radwanska. I really wanted her to win stuttgart, madrid and rome. That would be awesome in preparation to the FO.

A-rad no problem. She may face tough competition in the final, no real indication as to how she'll do vs Halep who's suddenly fulfilling her potential these days and the last time they played she wasn't the same player. Hopefully a win - Rome draw is really, really tough with Halep early on, Serena SF etc.

LuuKyK

Didn't watch, was it a typical Radwanska loss with poor serving and being too defensive?

It was more like Maria playing perfectly until 6-1 3-0, she was literally hitting all the lines and coming up with some crazy winners. But of course Aga was way too passive, like always. But there wasn't much she could do really. After 3-0 her coach said for her to go for winners/hit harder and she then proceeded to win 4 games in a row, but Maria started to play bad too, spraying UE errors everywhere. When Aga was in front she crumbled and came back to her defensive gameplan, and the moment you do that when you play Maria, the result is obvious. :lol

This point was amazing: http://clips.tennistv.com/g/v/fsDDnUQDy1K

Maria really improved her defensive abilities.

Top Bottom