• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
I played a guy today and was a little inspired by Novak: I played a perfect drop shot-lob combo.

It was magnificent :)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Serena's dominance....

i'm pretty surprised she still hasn't managed to win more than 2 slams a season since her serena slam. she's playing against scrubs.

and djokovic is playing some terrible tennis. it's like the whole tour felt bad that nadal's confidence seemed to be wavering, so they all decided to tank together. disgusting.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Said to myself: "I'll take a shower after this game"

Game never ends T_T

Edit: finally :p

MIMIC

Banned
OTqY4EM.jpg

w00t

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Djokovic got his number again, will be very interesting to see the match on Nadal's ultimate turf if they get to play eachother

Diamond

The results of the clay season so far indicate quite clearly that Nadal is beatable at Roland Garros, but it's Nadal, he loves situations like this. It will be nice to see him defend his four title streak in Paris.

Faith

Djokovic and Nadal have played 41 times to date.

All matches: Nadal, 22–19
All finals: Djokovic, 12–9
Grand Slam matches: Nadal, 8–3
Grand Slam finals: Tied, 3–3
Best of 3 matches: Djokovic, 16-13

Clay courts: Nadal 13–4
Hard courts: Djokovic 14–7
Grass courts: Nadal 2–1
Best rivalry of all time.

MIMIC

Banned
So I've been playing doubles with these really old guys for the last two Monday mornings, and I've got to say: old people know how to fucking volley. But I guess it kind of makes sense since they grew up in the S&V era.

So naturally, I looked like a clown. I don't just suck at the net....I FUCKING suck :( It was embarrassing, but it was all in good fun so it's not like it mattered. But still....

Basically, my only contribution was serves, returns, and baseline rallies. I was an utter disgrace at the net, lol. But when it was my turn to serve: oh man, I definitely made up for it. I hit a couple of aces and a bunch of unreturns. My serve was only broken once because I DF'd on a break point, something I haven't done in FOREVER. And in that same game, I hit an ace when I was down BP, so it was just a strange game.

But back to my shitty volleys. Being the problem solver that I am, I managed to fix the problem...and quite dramatically. Eventually, I never missed. I even made some incredible reaction volleys that not only went in, but were winners. I was tinkering with some things and found that just like my backhand, if I'm "gripping" the racket too tightly before contact, I'll miss. My "thumbs up grip" (that's what I'll call it now, lol) works for all of my volleys, but I'll have to barely be holding the racket before contact. For smashes, I'll start out with a "thumbs up" grip, then switch to a regular grip right before contact. For whatever reason, it works.

But I thought that overall, this is a great experience because I NEVER play doubles (and I almost never come to the net because of how awful I am...or used to be). My partner and I were facing 5-0*, and I was serving. NO WAY were we gonna get bageled. I think I held 40-15. I hit ever corner with my serve. lol

I made sure to make notes in my phone because sometimes I'll forget the changes I made in my game. Here's what I have so far:

Forehand: sturdy grip
Serve: ball toss slightly in front; remember to JUMP when making contact
Volleys: light thumb grip
Backhand: light grip during the takeback, then full, sturdy grip during contact
Overheads: thumb grip initially then regular grip during contact

I always forget my note about the serve. But whenever I remember to jump, I start raining aces.

And regarding my FH: I found that I wasn't holding the racket tight enough because I really like to go after the FH. It's not exactly a death grip, but I definitely have to remind myself to hold it tighter than I have before. And again: amazing results. And it makes sense: the less wobbly the racket is, the more controlled the ball will be.

Hopefully next Monday, my volley technique will still work :)

Faith

Stanislas Wawrinka changed his name in the ATP tour. From now on you will read "Stan Wawrinka".

I think it's better, like Andy Murray instead of Andrew Murray.

Sloane Stephens ousted in the 1st round in Strasbourg. How is that fraud still top 20? She loses 1st/2nd round in just about every tournament outside of the majors, then once a slam rolls around, she'll make 4th round or better. Her luck is going to run out eventually.

LuuKyK

Sloane Stephens ousted in the 1st round in Strasbourg. How is that fraud still top 20? She loses 1st/2nd round in just about every tournament outside of the majors, then once a slam rolls around, she'll make 4th round or better. Her luck is going to run out eventually.

I have no idea either. She is as awful as her determination and commitment to the sport she plays. Her attitude and body expression on court is absolutely disgusting.

Who's doing the roland garros thread this time around?

Whoever did it when Maria won it in 2012, hopefully. :D

U.S tennis everybody!

Pedrito

So Rory broke up with Woz two days after their wedding invitations were sent.

I wonder how it will affect her tennis career.

So Rory broke up with Woz two days after their wedding invitations were sent.

I wonder how it will affect her tennis career.

Sounds like he cut it off. It could potentially get her down, especially if she feels like its her fault it didn't work out. That could definitely linger in her mind during matches if she can't block it out for a while.

Reyne

What a match against my cousin (Djokovic). I love TopSpin4 :D

No way dude, thats totally unrealistic... I mean a 5-set match between Djokovic and Nadal in 1h31m? C'mon. ;)

Nadal won eh? Not a very good foreshadowing for Djokovic, should they meet in the real deal this year...

We like these long rallies from the baseline xD

I was strictly a baseliner in highschool, but I just don't have the stamina to play points like that anymore so now I look for opportunities to come in. If my opponent is out of position or gives me a ball that lands inside the service line, I'm comin' in! I give no fucks that I'm only 5'7" the point will end soon one way or another.

Top Bottom