• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

LuuKyK

FML Serena x Maria QF again. Serena x Genie possible 4R. Giorgi on Maria's quarter. Massive sigh. I hate this draw.

Full draw for the women:

BqkI8dsCQAA5HAz.jpg:large

Faith

Djokovic - Tsonga
Gulbis - Berdych
Murray - Fognini
Dimitrov - Ferrer
Wawrinka - Isner
Janowicz - Federer
Raonic - Nishikori
Gasquet - Nadal

Djokovic - Berdych
Murray - Ferrer
Wawrinka - Federer
Raonic - Nadal

Djokovic - Murray
Federer - Nadal

Djokovic - Nadal

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I wouldn't be surprised if Stan lost before the quarters. Sousa isn't an easy first round. Hopefully Fed doesn't play like shit against Benneteau in the second round. It's not a bad draw though for him. I'm sure MIMIC is hoping for a Gulbis-Djokovic quarter again :p

Reyne

Hmmm. Cautiously optimistic to the draw. On one hand, Wawrinka is a mug on grass and won't likely beat or even face Fed here. Murray and Djokovic will kill each other on the other side of the draw so Fed wont have to face them back to back as in 2012. Now if Nadal gets Rosoled again, that be nice, since last time that happened Fed won the tournament. Yeah, I am not gonna lie here, Fed needs a bit of help if he is to go the distance. But stranger things have happened...

Peru

Diamond, I don't mind throwing up an OT but I'm hesitant since you called it... don't call it and then fail to deliver, bro!

agrajag

Banned
It would be poetic justice if Fed wins Wimbledon since Nadull pulled that French Open out of his ass after playing like shit during clay season.

Looks like American teen sensation Madison Keys is developing her game nicely. She plays Kerber in the Eastbourne final tomorrow, and yes I have said before she has more upside than any other American woman on tour including Sloane Stephens.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Looks like American teen sensation Madison Keys is developing her game nicely. She plays Kerber in the Eastbourne final tomorrow, and yes I have said before she has more upside than any other American woman on tour including Sloane Stephens.

She won too.

LuuKyK

Well deserved too. She knocked out jankovic and kerber in route to winning the title. I expect big things from her in a year or two.

I would temper those expectations. She is showing some form, but she is still basically a ballbasher and takes a day where her brainless attacks to not work for her to completely lose it. She has no plan b.

Edit: Ugh, double post. Sorry.

didn't know there was a tennis OT

hello gentlemen! I assume this is for fans/players.

i have been trying to learn the continental grip serve but have been having a ton of trouble...Mostly I just go to my standby 'forehand grip serve', which is crude but works.

Happy hitting

didn't know there was a tennis OT

hello gentlemen! I assume this is for fans/players.

i have been trying to learn the continental grip serve but have been having a ton of trouble...Mostly I just go to my standby 'forehand grip serve', which is crude but works.

Happy hitting

brush up on the ball, let the resulting overspin bring it down into the service box. it takes some time, and if you're switching from a flat serve, don't be surprised if most of your attempts miss out wide. thats normal. just take a bucket of balls out to the court and practice hitting it for an hour, it'll feel natural over time.

MIMIC

Banned
So I met another wannabe coach who thought he could "better me". I thought to myself, "Here we fucking go again."

I'll spare anyone reading this the details and skip forward to my favorite part: he asked me if I can hit the ball "harder" (because I was barely hitting it; we weren't playing a set or anything like that). And I thought to myself, "Oh, this fool wants to see me REALLY play, does he?"

So I'm blasting the ball and he's barely staying with me in the rallies. He comes to the net off of an approach shot, and I absolutely RIP an inside out forehand passing shot.

And suddenly, he wasn't giving me anymore advice :)

MIMIC

Banned
did he tell you that you reminded him of Murray?

LOL

Also, I'm considering wearing a glove while I play. I sweat so much that it's ridiculous....and it's really affecting my grip, and I don't want to have to run to a towel after every freaking point. Freakin Florida.

I remember bending down to serve, and sweat POURING from my face leaving a puddle underneath me, lol

Nadal reminds me of me =p

Faith

Played a match today against my cousin. Best point of the match was his amazing backspin dropshot that bounced back on his court.

Lol, I've never seen this shot live on TV and now I saw it in RL.

So playing 5 matches in 2 days has completely destroyed my body. I woke up this morning having a tough time getting out of bed because I was so sore everywhere, especially my lower back, thighs, and glutes. Thats right, it even hurts to sit. Guess I'm still not in shape enough to play tournaments, or I'm just getting old

MIMIC

Banned
Here comes another episode of WTA comical voice-overs.

I can't stop laughing.

"Here is chinese player Kimiko Date, I have to say you look so good at 50!"

"I am Li Na you dumbass".

lol

POPGAF meets Tennis GAF?

lol @ the "Mean Girls" reference

So playing 5 matches in 2 days has completely destroyed my body. I woke up this morning having a tough time getting out of bed because I was so sore everywhere, especially my lower back, thighs, and glutes. Thats right, it even hurts to sit. Guess I'm still not in shape enough to play tournaments, or I'm just getting old

Time to retire! =p

MIMIC

Banned
edit: derp. n/m

You're probably just out of shape. When I was playing singles every day, I was really into P90X/Insanity. I'm 28 and those workouts were good enough for me.

edit: derp. n/m

Turned 26 a couple months ago. lol you edited.

I can play a match a day easily, but on Friday I played 3 matches, and 2 of them were 3 setters. And I play competitive tennis differently than rec tennis, because I push myself even more. So, Friday damaged me, and the 2 matches I played Saturday finished the job on my body.

Faith

I just realized that Nadal won Canada Masters, Cincinnati Masters and US Open last year. He will probably lose a lot of points in August.

I expect Djokovic to win 2 of these 3 tournaments.

Reyne

So, seventeen year old Alexander Zverev is making a rather impressive run to the Hamburg semi, literally flying through the rankings from 285 to 159 now. Not bad at all from someone so young and green.

Milchmann

Well, he was hailed as the future of German men's tennis, but his rise in the last few weeks is impressive. He won his first Challenger title two weeks ago and his ranking jumped from somewhere in the 600s to top 200.

So, seventeen year old Alexander Zverev is making a rather impressive run to the Hamburg semi, literally flying through the rankings from 285 to 159 now. Not bad at all from someone so young and green.

16 y/o Ana Konjuh is in the semi's of Istanbul. Good week for the young prospects.

Top Bottom