• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Kerber wasn't playing that great yesterday, but her opponent choked away the match including a match point in the 2nd set. Today, Kerber is the choker being up 5-1, then serving up 5-2 40-15 losing both set points and eventually the set. Serena up a break in the 2nd set now

If anyone wants to watch Kalamazoo coverage this week, here's the link to a live stream

http://ustaboys.secantnet.net/

For those that don't know, Kalamazoo is the USTA's largest junior tournament. The winner of the 18's division gets a wild card into the main draw of the US Open. Jack Sock won it in 2010 and 2011 , and Donald Young won the event twice in 2005 and 2006

MIMIC

Banned
So I was playing doubles and my partner had to sit out. We were down a break. I told my opponents fuck it, I'll play you guys 2 vs 1.

I held and broke back. I'm pretty quick so retrieving balls was no problem for me.

Then our other friend who was sitting on the other side of the court said, "Hey if you guys needed an extra player, you should have called me. Hahahahaha."

Hahahaha, no (lol). In my mind, I'm thinking, "Yeah, I saw you over there and I intentionally didn't call you over because I know that as soon as you join, we're gonna lose."

He joined and we lost -___________________-

But I'm starting to get sick of doubles. You have to rotate serves; when you're not serving, you're just standing there and sometimes you don't even touch the ball for an entire game; and you're entrusting someone else with your success.

I may cut back and stick exclusively to singles; it gets too boring sometimes.

Diamond

So I was playing doubles and my partner had to sit out. We were down a break. I told my opponents fuck it, I'll play you guys 2 vs 1.

I held and broke back. I'm pretty quick so retrieving balls was no problem for me.

Then our other friend who was sitting on the other side of the court said, "Hey if you guys needed an extra player, you should have called me. Hahahahaha."

Hahahaha, no (lol). In my mind, I'm thinking, "Yeah, I saw you over there and I intentionally didn't call you over because I know that as soon as you join, we're gonna lose."

He joined and we lost -___________________-

But I'm starting to get sick of doubles. You have to rotate serves; when you're not serving, you're just standing there and sometimes you don't even touch the ball for an entire game; and you're entrusting someone else with your success.

I may cut back and stick exclusively to singles; it gets too boring sometimes.

Doubles are great to train reflexes, attacks, volleys, smashes. I wouldn't play them exclusively but it's fun, plus you get to celebrate with someone !

The 1vs2 thing reminds me of a training drill we use with two friends I play with : 1vs2, the two must hit inside the singles sidelines, the guy alone can hit inside the doubles sidelines. Funny rallies often ensue.

Doubles are great to train reflexes, attacks, volleys, smashes. I wouldn't play them exclusively but it's fun, plus you get to celebrate with someone !

The 1vs2 thing reminds me of a training drill we use with two friends I play with : 1vs2, the two must hit inside the singles sidelines, the guy alone can hit inside the doubles sidelines. Funny rallies often ensue.

In America we call that Australian doubles. But I heard recently in Australia they call that American Doubles lol

MIMIC

Banned

I just realized: I suck at volleys when I'm just waiting at the net....one of the reasons I hate doubles. But I am a BEAST at volleys when I come in on my own terms.

Yesterday, I served, he returned, I hit an approach shot and came to the net. He tried to hit it over my backhand and I hit a backhand smash (a la Federer, lol), and then when he got that, I hit a regular overhead smash.

Apparently when I come in, I have a heightened awareness and feel for the court. If I'm already at the net (because my partner is serving), I feel useless and will flub the majority of the volleys...even the easy ones.

Dispatch

So, stay back when your partner serves and charge, sort of a tandem serve and volley. Just a thought. I play with someone who does this and it often has the added benefit of rattling the opponent.

Raonic played Pospisil at the final of the Citi Open over the weekend. First ever all-Canada final. Raonic won quite easily (Pospisil was likely gassed and he doesn't have an answer to Raonic's serve).

Good to see Pospisil continuing to play well after Wimbledon.

zroid

Banned
If you don't take a massive hit off a freshly cracked open can of tennis balls, you're doing it wrong. Always take a big whiff inside the tennis ball can as soon as you open it. Its a better obscure smell than gasoline and freshly cut grass in the morning.

I haven't played tennis in over a decade but oh god yes

LuuKyK

If you don't take a massive hit off a freshly cracked open can of tennis balls, you're doing it wrong. Always take a big whiff inside the tennis ball can as soon as you open it. Its a better obscure smell than gasoline and freshly cut grass in the morning.

lol I know, and I agree. Its just that it sounded awkward the way she said it. Thats all.

Have you ever seen a Djokovic match when the crowd was against him? :p

In Davis Cup? No, unfortunately I missed watching those matches. I heard Serbia vs. Czech Republic was pretty intense.

Also, I would love to watch Israel v. Syria/Jordan/Egypt Davis cup, but unfortunately that will never happen. Tunisia disallowed one of their players from playing against an Israeli player, and then as a result the The ITF banned Tunisia from competition for a year . Politics come before tennis competition so those repercussions dont really send a message.

Diamond

In America we call that Australian doubles. But I heard recently in Australia they call that American Doubles lol

Haha, didn't know that ! Just read on Wikipedia it's also called "Canadian doubles". American and Australian, I get it, but Canadian ? It almost starts like a bad joke.

I just realized: I suck at volleys when I'm just waiting at the net....one of the reasons I hate doubles. But I am a BEAST at volleys when I come in on my own terms.

Yesterday, I served, he returned, I hit an approach shot and came to the net. He tried to hit it over my backhand and I hit a backhand smash (a la Federer, lol), and then when he got that, I hit a regular overhead smash.

Apparently when I come in, I have a heightened awareness and feel for the court. If I'm already at the net (because my partner is serving), I feel useless and will flub the majority of the volleys...even the easy ones.

Stay on the baseline when your partner serves and attack during the following rallies ?

Have you ever seen a Djokovic match when the crowd was against him? :p

So even during Davis Cup you support Djokovic over Switzerland ? :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
so my car got flooded last week

two of my racquets were in a tennis bag in my trunk. when i finally got a chance to take a look at them they were soaked. i'm expecting to have to change the grips and strings...but should i even bother (i.e. do you think the actual frames are still ok)?

Diamond

so my car got flooded last week

two of my racquets were in a tennis bag in my trunk. when i finally got a chance to take a look at them they were soaked. i'm expecting to have to change the grips and strings...but should i even bother (i.e. do you think the actual frames are still ok)?

Unless they're made of wood, I don't see why humidity would've deteriorated the frames. Strings will need to be replaced though, without a doubt.

LuuKyK

Poor Genie. Genuinely felt bad for her there.

She was sooo nervous. That enormous crowd/cheering and all the hype/expectations really got to her. She will have to learn to deal with all these if she wants to be at the top.

LuuKyK

Why? She is terrible. Double bagel against the 104th best player in the world.

A player who reaches two semifinals and a final in slams in one year at the age of 20 is not terrible, doesnt matter how you look at it. She was bad today, and thats it. She is young. She will learn and improve (at least there is a huge chance it will happen). And stop with the "women's tennis" crap. Its disrespectful to those who play it and to those who like it, and besides, it makes you look arrogant and full of yourself.

A player who reaches two semifinals and a final in slams in one year at the age of 20 is not terrible, doesnt matter how you look at it. She was bad today, and thats it. She is young. She will learn and improve (at least there is a huge chance it will happen). And stop with the "women's tennis" crap. Its disrespectful to those who play it and to those who like it, and besides, it makes you look arrogant and full of yourself.

First off, settle down.

Secondly, she's been manhandled today against a total nobody when she had probably one of the best home field advantage you can get. Also, she was manhandled at her last major appearance against Kvitova (one of the shortest Women's Wimbledon final match in recent years, if not the shortest).

Thirdly, yes she is terrible right now. Not sure what it is, but her form is just not there. She was great in the spring but summer has been terrible as far as she is concerned.

Fourthly, Women's tennis has been very inconsistent and the overall quality of players is a few notches below men's tennis - denying this is ludicrous at best. Even the best players on the WTA tour suffer from terrible inconsistency. The fact that she made two semis and a final is very good, but (i) she cannot convert and (ii) her road to the top of the respective tournaments was made much easier due to her peers' inconsistency (which I guess is a testament to her own consistency) - but what good does it bring if she always comes up short? She needs to develop her power game (especially her serve) and her attack shots otherwise she will become Wozniacki 2.0. She has the talent to win slams (especially in a weaker WTA), but she needs to get that mental fortitude that allows her to make the next step and I am not quite sure that she has it yet.

And she is 20. By the age of 20, Venus, Serena, Sharapova, Hingis, Graf, Henin, etc. had already won slams and were already established frontrunners. She has room to develop, but unless she is a late bloomer, what you see now is pretty much what you are going to get in a few years.

Why? She is terrible. Double bagel against the 104th best player in the world.

To be fair, a true double bagel occurs in consecutive sets. Bouchard was only bageled in the 1st and 3rd sets while winning the 2nd set in the middle. This is what is known as a bagel sandwich.

Rainy Dog

Fed's finally put the finishing touches to his new raquet. Still black and mean looking but now with a splash of red to finish it off.

Rainy Dog

The quality of TennisTV is just superb. Btw, love the voice of the female commentator...she sounds like Lara Croft from the last Tomb Raider game xD

Are you still happy withy TennisTV, Faith? Been seriously thinking of subscribing myself as although I have access to SkyGo they don't show the smaller tournaments and the streaming quality is crap basically.

Faith

Are you still happy withy TennisTV, Faith? Been seriously thinking of subscribing myself as although I have access to SkyGo they don't show the smaller tournaments and the streaming quality is crap basically.
Yes I am. I will watch the Djokovic Monfils match today :)

Top Bottom