• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Dispatch

I don't get ESPN News, and my cable provider, which has a monopoly in my neighborhood, doesn't support Watch ESPN, so I was stuck waiting.

And, yes, Serena is rolling now.

LuuKyK

Bye cheater.

Back to checking your blood pressure in Serbia.

dc2248973e609ec5d8f17439f2c65b5a.gif

Congratulations to Serena on her first Cincy title. Cant see anyone stopping her at the US Open.

LuuKyK

What's with this Sharapova gif?

Ana faked an illness yesterday while sharapova was serving, and asked for the trainer to check her blood pressure in the middle of the game. She came back playing and running like a madwoman and Maria hit two double faults. Drama unfolded.

IN the gif Maria is telling the trainer to "check her blood pressure".

Faith

Ana faked an illness yesterday while sharapova was serving, and asked for the trainer to check her blood pressure in the middle of the game. She came back playing and running like a madwoman and Maria hit two double faults. Drama unfolded.
So Maria lost because Ana was cheating?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

lol, that seems like a very impartial telling of events. From SI:

With Sharapova serving at 0-1 in the final set, Ivanovic pulled up after a point at 15-all and called for a medical timeout due to nausea.

"I was really feeling nauseous," Ivanovic said. "I think I ate something bad today. When my coach was coming out, I kept telling him I don't feel good, like my stomach is really upset. Then, it really build up in the third set, and I was not feeling fine."

​Ivanovic, after being evaluated by the physio and doctor, was asked to lie down on the court to get her blood pressure taken and to receive pills. When the match resumed, Sharapova held her serve to 1-all and then broke for a 2-1 advantage. The two exchanged breaks one more time and Sharapova served to consolidate her break lead at 4-3 when Ivanovic broke her again to level the set at 4-all. That game ended with a double-fault off Sharapova's racket, and she appeared to turn to the umpire, tap her upper arm with her racket and say "Check her blood pressure," toward the chair umpire.

"I never actually got a clear answer on what it was, but, I mean, I don't know," Sharapova said after the match. "Could have been something like an anxiety [attack] or something. I'm not really sure what you take blood pressure for. We played a pretty long point afterwards and she seemed to be doing well. Not really sure what was going on there."

Asked if Ivanovic's medical break put her off Sharapova said: "It was just a strange timing. I'm not sure kind of how it happened. Just kind of came out of nowhere. Just don't know what to do in that situation, because you either sit down, are they going to take a medical timeout, but then they don't and you got to get up and then you got to serve and it's 15-all. The timing was a bit strange, but she looked okay."

LuuKyK

So Maria lost because Ana was cheating?

No, she lost because she was playing like shit. The fact that she almost won playing in this level is pretty telling though. lol

lol, that seems like a very impartial telling of events. From SI:

I want Ana's miraculous healing abilities then. She literally stopped for 2 minutes and was back to her normal. Even medicines dont work that fast.

It seemed real enough at the time. It kind of fit in that match with its ups and downs.

One moment they would both be playing fantastic, then the next they would be missing everything.

Niraj

No, she lost because she was playing like shit. The fact that she almost won playing in this level is pretty telling though. lol

I want Ana's miraculous healing abilities then. She literally stopped for 2 minutes and was back to her normal. Even medicines dont work that fast.

You could argue that it wasn't terribly serious (which, clearly, it wasn't since she was fine the rest of the match), but it's not unusual for nausea to rise up and dissipate rather quickly.

Saty

Congratulations to Serena on her first Cincy title. Cant see anyone stopping her at the US Open.
Every GS people say this but she still 'manages' to loss. Serena looks as beatable as she was so far this season. It won't be a shocker if she doesn't win the title.

LuuKyK

Ferrer is such a solid player. He is not the best, but he is up there for sure. I do wonder how he didn't fluke a slam yet. He is like the Dementieva of the ATP.

Faith

Ferrer is such a solid player. He is not the best, but he is up there for sure. I do wonder how he didn't fluke a slam yet. He is like the Dementieva of the ATP.
That's what I'm talking about. Ferrer is awesome. I love to watch him!

These groundstrokes, damn!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i started watching late, right when federer had a break point in the first game of the second set. thought everything was going swimmingly. and then this happens right away. i think i cursed him.

Niraj

Just like Friday, Roger just sucks in the second set. Hope there's a similar turnaround.

i started watching late, right when federer had a break point in the first game of the second set. thought everything was going swimmingly. and then this happens right away. i think i cursed him.

Well, this explains everything.

Top Bottom