• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Diamond

does anyone play with the wilson spin effect racquets?

i just bought a six.one 95s after play testing over a few days. unfortunately the sporting goods store i rented from have no idea about tennis so couldn't tell me what strings i was playing with. i think one was a poly...felt like a board and another was a hybrid albeit one where the mains and crosses were the same color so i couldnt tell...

all my life i've pretty much only played with prince og synthetic gut on my old Prince Michael Chang's...but i've read these spin racquets just shred your strings and polys and/or some type of hybrid was suggested. any recommendations? got a free stringing of some wilson syn guy i've never used before so i guess we'll see how long it takes to pop them.

also...do new racquets still come with a cover? lol lost all my old tennis gear in a flood so starting over from scratch :)

Unfortunately I haven't much experience with Wilson racquets, however what I can say is it's probably not your racquet that will tear your strings the most : it's rather your own playstyle. I mean, my training partner and I did have, during some years, the same racquets and the same strings. He would break them after a few hours, whereas I could play with the same strings during a full year (playing 2 hours+ every week). We changed models since, but it's always the same pattern.

So I think you should try at least once the type of strings you feel the most comfortable with, see how long they last and go from there. Go to a shop, describe your playstyle in a few keypoints (defender, attacker, serve and volley, power vs control, etc.), give them your racquet model and see what they tell you. I could go and tell you to use what I use, but we could have entirely different playstyles, so better ask professionals, I think.

And buy a bag instead of a cover (which I'm not sure they provide. Weren't one with my racquets, but maybe you can ask for it) ! You can find cheap prices online. :) http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-3PKBAGS.html

RedAssedApe

Banned
Unfortunately I haven't much experience with Wilson racquets, however what I can say is it's probably not your racquet that will tear your strings the most : it's rather your own playstyle. I mean, my training partner and I did have, during some years, the same racquets and the same strings. He would break them after a few hours, whereas I could play with the same strings during a full year (playing 2 hours+ every week). We changed models since, but it's always the same pattern.

So I think you should try at least once the type of strings you feel the most comfortable with, see how long they last and go from there. Go to a shop, describe your playstyle in a few keypoints (defender, attacker, serve and volley, power vs control, etc.), give them your racquet model and see what they tell you. I could go and tell you to use what I use, but we could have entirely different playstyles, so better ask professionals, I think.

And buy a bag instead of a cover (which I'm not sure they provide. Weren't one with my racquets, but maybe you can ask for it) ! You can find cheap prices online. :) http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-3PKBAGS.html

Thanks. Yeah they offered free stringing of some Wilson synthetic gut so I'm going to see how the racquet feels with those. If I end up tearing through the strings maybe I'll experiment with a poly. Don't think I'm a particular heavy topspin hitter but back in high school I'd use to have restring every two weeks.

The case question was just out of curiosity. I already planned on getting a bag for the convenience. I guess all the performance racquets dropped the covers to cut costs or something. :)

LuuKyK

Just saw that Maria hit 80 UEs. Guess that explains the result I guess. :lol

Impressive win for Aga against Petra though. Was not expecting that.

LuuKyK

Not Serena almost getting double bageled.

B0ia5lSCYAAholG.jpg

Rainy Dog

No, (at least it didn't seem like it) she just lost fair and square to Simona, who played way better.

Great stuff. I'm hoping Simona can take the title if she keeps this up. She definitely deserves it for the overall year she's had.

Then hopefully a slam next year.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Serena's highest loss since 1998 (1-6, 1-6 against Joannette Kruger in Oklahoma).

She (or WTA) changed her name to Genie Bouchard. Definitely jumped the shark.

same happened to wawrinka when he became just a stan.

is coric the future of tennis or a false prophet?

LuuKyK

Great stuff. I'm hoping Simona can take the title if she keeps this up. She definitely deserves it for the overall year she's had.

Then hopefully a slam next year.

Well, these courts are definitely favoring defensive players, and if Simona keeps playing at this level she really has a chance at the title imo.

Bouchard peaked.

She is indeed terrible right now, but I kind of understand where she is at all things considered.

I mean, its her first year at the pro tour. At the start of the year I don't think she (hell, anyone) was expecting her to have such a great year, much less reach the YEC. Based on that I don't think she was physically and mentally prepared. She was already struggling by the US Open, so that she would have a hard time at the YEC which you start already playing top players was really expected.

2015 will be interesting to see if things change, because she sure has a lot to defend.

Rainy Dog

This 17 year old German Alexander Zverev is looking interesting. 6 foot 6 but moves very fluidly and looks to have a nice, solid ground game. Two breaks up against Dimitrov in the first set too although Grigor is shanking every other shot without really being forced.

This 17 year old German Alexander Zverev is looking interesting. 6 foot 6 but moves very fluidly and looks to have a nice, solid ground game. Two breaks up against Dimitrov in the first set too although Grigor is shanking every other shot without really being forced.

17 y/o Borna Coric beat Gulbis today. Could be a good day for the 17 year olds if Zverev also gets a win.

Rainy Dog

17 y/o Borna Coric beat Gulbis today. Could be a good day for the 17 year olds if Zverev also gets a win.

Interesting, didn't realise the guy that beat Gulbis was also a young un. Zverev has taken the first set 6-2 anyway, but Grigor is a break up in the second.

Commentator was mentioning that he's the junior Australian Open champion. Definitely looks like he has a bright future in the seniors too.

Milchmann

Zverev was already in the semi finals in Hamburg this year. He is the biggest (and sole) hope for the future of German men's tennis.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
late 80s/early 90s players are going to be the lost generation of tennis. what should have been their peak was overshadowed by the big four, and by the time they finally catch up to them (or rather the big four decline to their level) the younger players will be surpassing them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Gulbis looked like a cripple the whole match, so I'm not sure how much it means. Still, good to see a younger player get the ranking points at least.

Zverev looks like he might have top 20 or even top 10 potential. It's too early to say, but he has really solid mechanics, pretty good movement, and is only 17.

Coric is the real deal, I expect great things from him in the future

Coric and Zverev are among the best 18 and under's right now. Andrey Rublev and Jared Donaldson are also up there with them.

Will be interesting to see where they will be in a couple years. Within the next 5 years one of those guys will win a slam I believe.

Coric and Zverev are among the best 18 and under's right now. Andrey Rublev and Jared Donaldson are also up there with them.

Will be interesting to see where they will be in a couple years. Within the next 5 years one of those guys will win a slam I believe.
Jared Donaldson sounds American, so no.

Rafa looks incredible right now. Great movement. Knees are fine. He needs to stop being paranoid about his health, seems a bit of a hypochondriac. Think he is the favorite for WTF and AO15.

Jared Donaldson sounds American, so no.

Rafa looks incredible right now. Great movement. Knees are fine. He needs to stop being paranoid about his health, seems a bit of a hypochondriac. Think he is the favorite for WTF and AO15.

Donaldson is American, but he has broken away from Patrick McEnroe's loser camp. Last off-season he spent a month training with Roger Federer in Dubai.

Bouchard could be the next Safina, Vaidisova, Chakvetadze, Jankovic or Stephens. Broad really needs to watch some Agassi, Davydenko and Coria tapes. Less James Blake. She panics when her opponent gets the ball back. It's been an ongoing problem gjis year.

Top Bottom