• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

gumshoe

Banned
Awesome match!! Federer winning the tie break was epic

Federer and Del Potro go through to the SFs and Murray is out :lol

They all had a 2-1 record in matches won, so it came down to games won.

Federer: 44-40
Del Potro: 45-43
Murray: 44-43

Murray was kicked out because of 1 game differential. :lol He must be furious right now.

The match obviously wasn't fixed. It is ridiculous to claim that it was. But what is funny is someone on another forum predicted the score that would knock out Murray. He said the score would be 6-2 6-7 6-2 (Del Potro win), and the actual score was 6-2 6-7 6-3 haha

MIMIC

Banned
Someone's sig at menstennisforums.com

30v0nd4.png

:lol

Pumped for Söderlings match tonight. He has been on fire lately but Davydenko is a great indoors tennis player also. Should be a tight match.

MIMIC

Banned
1. Sodering wins, he and Djokovic go through to the semis (provided Djokovic wins over Nadal)

2. Davydenko wins, he and Soderling are through to the semis. The Djokovic-Nadal match is then rendered pointless when concerning semi-final advancement.

The Soderling match should be first. I don't want to watch a potentially pointless match =p

If thats what you need then just put some money down on the match. Then it's not pointless :p

Actually that may not be such a bad idea. I wonder what the odds are... Pretty sure Djokovic is going to take it so it could be a reasonable bet.

*fake edit* I found 1.4 on Novak... Not worth it.

MIMIC

Banned
So Djokovic def. Nadal 7-6(5), 6-3. That was their TWENTY-FIRST meeting in a 3 year span @_@. Pretty epic rivalry.

I came in at 5-5 in the first set and what amazes me is that Djokovic looked very languid, distracted and apathetic, yet still maintained a slight edge over Nadal. On hard courts, Djokovic leads 7-3 so it appears Nadal isn't a threat on that surface at all. Today, Nadal DID look out of sorts, however.

Pretty disappointing that Nadal didn't even win a single set in any of his round robin matches.

Also, if Djokovic somehow manages to win the tournament, he'll be the new #2.

hsin

Banned
MIMIC said:
So Djokovic def. Nadal 7-6(5), 6-3. That was their TWENTY-FIRST meeting in a 3 year span @_@. Pretty epic rivalry.

I came in at 5-5 in the first set and what amazes me is that Djokovic looked very languid, distracted and apathetic, yet still maintained a slight edge over Nadal. On hard courts, Djokovic leads 7-3 so it appears Nadal isn't a threat on that surface at all. Today, Nadal DID look out of sorts, however.

Pretty disappointing that Nadal didn't even win a single set in any of his round robin matches.

Also, if Djokovic somehow manages to win the tournament, he'll be the new #2.

Crazy. With his level of play over the current fall season, he deserves it. Nadal seems to be really struggling to find his form since his return. His performance at the WTF was not a pretty thing to watch. I hope he gets some quality practice in before the Australian Open so that he realistically defend his title.

Jay Sosa

^ How can anyone hate on that guy, I'll never get it. And I bet all the Nadal (don't get me wrong I like him too) fans already bitchin about how Fed makes fun of their language and disrespoect their country..

Thanks for the link, always interesting to see Tennis players behind the scenes..

Peru

REAL tournaments starting up on monday. Can't wait.

Meanwhile some exo matches / tournaments... Sharapova beats Venus 6-3, 6-4 in Thailand. Romania beats Australia 2-1 at Hopman Cup Sorana Cirstea and Victor Hanescu beat Australia's Samantha Stosur and Lleyton Hewitt 7-5, 6-1 in mixed doubles, Cirstea beat Stosur 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 (real strong result), Hewitt beat Hanescu 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (2). Söderling beat Federer in straights in Abu Dhabi, he'll meet Nadal who beat Ferrer in the final.

Jay Sosa

Damn the Henin - Clijsters match is epic..

I normally hate womens "tennis" but I could watch them play for days.

I just hope that Kim wins this, can't stand the little boy.

Damn, they just fucked over Clijsters, ball was clearly on the line

Wohoo Go Kim!

Peru

No more quotation marks, please.

But yes, that match was draaama all the way. You just KNEW Clijsters would get her Henin complex back and choke, but good on her for fighting back. Then she had her victory stolen from her on a bad call in the deciding tie breaker, but won anyway. Good ol drama.

Yeah great match. Thank god for Clijsters and Henin for returning to tennis and reinvigorating the women's game. I can imagine what a borefest this final would have been without them -- a 30 minute match with a 6-0 6-1 scoreline and 100+ unforced errors.

MIMIC

Banned
Um, wow. Nadal just bagled Davydenko in the first set (Doha Final). @_@

This Nadal couldn't be any more different than the one that got blitzed at the World Tour Finals.

MIMIC

Banned
Can't believe Davy won! He was down 2 match points (on Nadal's serve no less) and still won the 2nd set. It was a pretty bizarre 2nd set, too. He had set points at 5-4 but Nadal broke back. I didn't see the end of the 3rd, though. My stream was acting up.

2nd time that Davydenko has beaten Fed and Nadal en route to a title.

MIMIC

Banned
Ernests Gulbis (the next Federer :D) is in his 2nd career semi-final...playing Querrey right now (ATP 500 - Memphis)

Peru

Well boys and girls, after a boring lull we're back on track and this week it's the GRAND SLAM FORMAT, UNISEX, TWO WEEK

BNP PARIBAS OPEN

at the world's 2ND LARGEST TENNIS STADIUM Indian Wells Tennis Garden

800px-IWTG_Stadium_1.JPG

Qualification starts today, 1st round on Wednesday, draws are released today and the title defenders are:

Men's:
Rafael Nadal
article-0-085A67FC000005DC-928_468x382.jpg

Women's:
Vera Zvonerava
a6ac3e6a56a7a5e07d33fe00c4e97573-getty-ten-us_open-pennetta-zvonareva.jpg

Peru

You can watch the Indian Wells "Hit for Haiti" today on the Tennis Channel..

HIT FOR HAITI
J HENIN / M NAVRATILOVA vs L DAVENPORT / S GRAF
R FEDERER / P SAMPRAS vs A AGASSI / R NADAL

some line-up!

Full-time regular tv coverage of the tournament starts tomorrow. Shit's about to get real.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I hope we can also discuss tennis as a hobby here right?

Okay so, I just got the Six One Tour BLX. It's fine and all, the weight is pretty much perfect for me unlike people complaining about it and I can manage to hit the sweet spot pretty much all the time. However I also playtested the Aero Pro Drive GT, which is just heaven for hitting top spin, which is my favorite thing in tennis pretty much. Should I switch? Or just keep the all round racquet? If I keep playing with it I can probably get a bit more out of it in a month or so

There's also the Pure Drive GT which I like for my flat shots and volleys, but I'm probably not getting that.

Deadman

Peru said:
You can watch the Indian Wells "Hit for Haiti" today on the Tennis Channel..

HIT FOR HAITI
J HENIN / M NAVRATILOVA vs L DAVENPORT / S GRAF
R FEDERER / P SAMPRAS vs A AGASSI / R NADAL

some line-up!

Full-time regular tv coverage of the tournament starts tomorrow. Shit's about to get real.

And for Uk (and i think euro) Gaf its on eurosport2 at 3.30am saturday 12th of march (tomorrow).

Top Bottom