• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
when monfils is on, he is fucking on. if he could maintain his best even reasonable periods of time he'd be a multiple slam champion.

and then he plays a tiebreak to show the definition of lost potential. hopefully sir andrew puts an end to this charade.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dunbar, why not pray for your man to beat Djokovic in the final instead of doing some sort of weird anti-cheering for whoever his opponent is?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But now we'll be cheering for Murray, you should be happy ;P

...no, not really. I sort of like people to support players because they genuinely like them, on account of not being a gloryhunter and all. -shrugs-

:p

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Dunbar, why not pray for your man to beat Djokovic in the final instead of doing some sort of weird anti-cheering for whoever his opponent is?

i think you know exactly why, since we're on the same boat. it amounts to exactly the same thing as your desire not to have a slamless no. 1, except the opposite end of it. i'm just more honest about it and don't hide behind some "good for the sport" nonsense. :p

Reyne

I have no doubt that Crab would be singing a different tune if it was Murray approaching no. 1 with no slam. At the least, you wouldn't hear him spout nonsense such at it not being good for the sport, whatever that means.

Well, its Murray so I am sure Crab won't ever have to worry about going through such a moral dilemma over choosing his favorite player or whatever principles he thinks he has. Even at the time when Murray was defending two slams, he wasn't even close to Djokovic points in the ranking, who at that time held one slam. So there.

Oh, btw, rooting for Murray to take one over Djokovic tonight. Cheers. ;)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
i think you know exactly why, since we're on the same boat. it amounts to exactly the same thing as your desire not to have a slamless no. 1, except the opposite end of it. i'm just more honest about it and don't hide behind some "good for the sport" nonsense. :p

Not really. I'm glad Wawrinka lost, for example, because Murray is closing in on no.4, but I'd never cheer for Anderson because I'd wanted that to happen. I was actually really sad for the guy, he played a fantastic match and came so close and still lost. There's a difference between wanting different outcomes and it affecting who you support.

EDIT: It's the difference between cheering your own winners as opposed to your opponent's double faults. -shrugs-

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Talking of Anderson, he's putting up a strong fight against Berdych. Lost a break, then actually managed to get it back! Playing a bit more aggressive than normal, he usually just gives up.

EDIT: This is quite a fun match. Neither player is exactly varied, but they're both doing what they do well. Some lovely forehand rallies, and Anderson's passing shots are just so good this tournament.

EDIT: In fact, Anderson is playing lights out by his own standards. 81% first serves in, his return is merely bad as opposed to awful, he's really pressuring Berdych at the net, etc. For someone with such a limited game, he's really making absolutely everything out of it. Good on him.

EDIT: and he takes the first set, really well deserved. Sadly I can't stay to watch the whole thing, but if he keeps redlining like this, he definitely deserves a win. Would be his first Master's SF, real achievement!

EDIT: ah, come back to find he didn't make it. :( shame. Will have to watch the match and see if berdych played better or anderson just lapsed.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
looks like federer is going to need his good tiebreak form today.

average service game length for both federer and raonic is less than 2 minutes. that's like one nadal point.

edit: federer loses the first set, of course. when he won the first point on raonic's serve in the tiebreak you knew it would be took good to be true.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well, kind of hard to win a tiebreak when you lose both of your first two service points against a servebot.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Roger pls

Edit: Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet, can't do anything about that

Edit2: Not like this :(

Saty

Eh, can't really be too down after this loss. Game was very close and was decided by handful of points here and there. Raonic was playing really well.

Raonic playing better than usual + Fed feeding him some disgustingly easy stuff when he did manage to get into a few points = horror movie indeed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not going to say it was karma... but I lied. That was so karma.

EDIT: Also, I don't like Raonic at all and Ferrer is one of my favourite players, but... if Ferrer does lose to Kei later, and I say this through gritted teeth, Raonic probably does deserve to be at the WTF over him. :/ 'grats, Canadabot.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is... already not looking good.

EDIT: Murray trying to ballbash, again. :/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What's the score? Espn neglects tennis updates and still shows 2-1 djokovic

4-3 Djokovic, both on serve. Looking surprisingly evenly matched now, doesn't look to be any clear advantage. Murray starting to play the rallies clever instead of trying to just hammer everything.

EDIT: If Murray loses, it will be because of his second serve. No doubt at all.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray has lost only 2 points behind his first serve. He has faced 4 break points. That should tell you everything you need to know about this match.

Reyne

Fed lost eh? Oh well. He has been playing a lots of late and winning a lot too. Time to get some well needed rest.

Meanwhile, here is hoping Murray can keep things interesting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic has 32 points to Murry's 31, so fairly evenly matched play, Murray is just slightly less consistent which has put him in danger twice now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
welp

Sadly, I won't get to see Murray's eventual demise unless the match goes on surprisingly long, but he held his own well enough. No shame.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
too bad for murray.

but then again nadal had not won a grand slam final after losing the opening set since 2005 or so until this year's french open, so maybe djokovic will find a way to fuck this up.

edit: and murray breaks just in time for a glimmer of hope. ride, sir andrew, ride like the wind.

Reyne

Also of note, Federer hadn't won against Djokovic after dropping the first set... until Dubai this year. So who knows...

oh, and Murray breaks.

edit: Never mind. broke right back. nid.

Top Bottom