• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i shouldn't be surprised this is the best murray can do, but i still sort of am. a lot was made of his "good form", but who has he exactly beaten? ferrer two out of three times, and that's about it. was only a matter of time he got exposed by quality opposition.

Reyne

i shouldn't be surprised this is the best murray can do, but i still sort of am. a lot was made of his "good form", but who has he exactly beaten? ferrer two out of three times, and that's about it. was only a matter of time he got exposed by quality opposition.

Probably. Dimitrov wasn't exactly on a winning streak either so... yeah.

We still have Nishikori though. Lets go Nishi!

MIMIC

Banned
Yay, Novak.

Why they keep rigging the draws to have Murray and Djokovic always play in the QFs is beyond me. Nobody enjoys this match-up.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Yay, Novak.

Why they keep rigging the draws to have Murray and Djokovic always play in the QFs is beyond me. Nobody enjoys this match-up.

probably to avoid the off-chance of them meeting in the final and thus ruining the entire tournament.

edit: and david "the gatekeeper" ferrer is giving a tennis lesson to another upstart.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

It wasn't so bad. I mean, not great, but not terrible. Murray is still probably the 4th best player on the tour right now after Djokovic, Federer and Nishikori, it's just the gap between the top 2 and the rest is big, with the exception of their bad days. I mean, right now, Wawrinka is in terrible form, Berdych was pushed by Anderson, Murray already beat Dimitrov and Ferrer and Cilic (easily), and so on. Raonic might trouble him, but that Federer match was the first time Raonic has shown up in ages, so I'd still probably favour Murray. Really, I think 2014 is just the weakest year in a long while - a lot of players are having a bad season all at the same time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Ferrer wins. I really like both players, but Ferrer really needs this, it'd be sad to see him miss the WTF.

Reyne

But then, its not all that unlikely that Raonic beats Berdych and then its game over for Ferrer unless he beats Djokovic. Of course, we all know that Djokovic is gonna lay down a beating on Ferrer if he is in the semi...

Anyway, Nishikori serving for it. Wonder if he has anything left in the tank for tomorrow...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Poor Ferru. :( Really sad about that result, definitely the one match I wish I could reverse the result of most this year.

What an awful set of outcomes! I was hoping for Anderson, Federer, Murray, Ferrer...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
pretty much every much today had the opposite result i hoped for. should have put money on it so i wouldn't feel so bad about it. raonic with his sleeve needs to eat the curb, goddamn.

MIMIC

Banned
Poor Ferru. :( Really sad about that result, definitely the one match I wish I could reverse the result of most this year.

What an awful set of outcomes! I was hoping for Anderson, Federer, Murray, Ferrer...

Anderson: gross.
Federer: I'll give you that (still gross, lol)
Murray: gross
Ferrer: meh

John Dunbar

correct about everything

that's funny, considering a while back you said you hoped for djokovic making it as far or further than federer. ;p
i may be drunk but my memory still works.

although i suppose the murray-djokovic match was after federer's, but i suspect that made made only a little difference here. teehee.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
that's funny, considering a while back you said you hoped for djokovic making it as far or further than federer. ;p
i may be drunk but my memory still works.

Well, I did, but then I remembered just how much I hate watching Raonic play tennis, and I changed my mind. I might deeply dislike Federer for being a smug bastard, but at least he generates interesting matches. Lesser of two evils.Obviously I still want Djokovic to end as no.1.

EDIT: I do like how Raonic is the one thing that unites us as a community, though.

Diamond

I might deeply dislike Federer for being a smug bastard

So that's why you dislike him as much as you do ? He always seems pretty nice to me. I have the chance of having another perspective on Roger : his interviews in french, where he is often very genuine and sounds like just a guy who plays tennis, not a 17 slam superstar.
Then again we're debating on people we only know through the spectrum of the media. It's difficult to say "he's like this" or "he's like that'. I'll just say that disliking Roger for this reason seems pretty strange to me.

LuuKyK

Well, I did, but then I remembered just how much I hate watching Raonic play tennis, and I changed my mind. I might deeply dislike Federer for being a smug bastard, but at least he generates interesting matches. Lesser of two evils.Obviously I still want Djokovic to end as no.1.

EDIT: I do like how Raonic is the one thing that unites us as a community, though.

How did you even reach that conclusion? :lol I had the pleasure to meet him at one exhibition match here in my country and he was the nicest guy ever to everyone there, talking freely and giving autographs (while Tsonga escaped by the backdoor, literally lol).

And even if you havent met him in person, you can see that he is very classy on court and if you follow him on the social medias its pretty obvious that he seems like such a likable person and a good one to be around too. I mean, nothing about him seems "smug bastard", but ok.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So that's why you dislike him as much as you do ? He always seems pretty nice to me. I have the chance of having another perspective on Roger : his interviews in french, where he is often very genuine and sounds like just a guy who plays tennis, not a 17 slam superstar.
Then again we're debating on people we only know through the spectrum of the media. It's difficult to say "he's like this" or "he's like that'. I'll just say that disliking Roger for this reason seems pretty strange to me.

How did you even reach that conclusion? :lol I had the pleasure to meet him at one exhibition match here in my country and he was the nicest guy ever to everyone there, talking freely and giving autographs (while Tsonga escaped by the backdoor, literally lol).

And even if you havent met him in person, you can see that he is very classy on court and if you follow him on the social medias its pretty obvious that he seems like such a likable person and a good one to be around too. I mean, nothing about him seems "smug bastard", but ok.

He hates him because of his clothes after Wimbledon in 2009. With the "15" monogrammed on them.

LuuKyK

Now that I mentioned I am remembering the moment I met him. God that was so freaking awkward. I was so brain dead. I had no idea what to say. I was like Hey, and then I tried to say many things at the same time and ended up saying nothing. I dont even know what language I spoke. It was very bizarre and embarrassing, but totally worth it.

Reyne

At least we wont have another Beijing with the mental midget bird in the final.

Winner will probably come from the other semi though, either way. Myself I am rooting for Nishikori.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, it's a variety of reasons, not just the smugness, but I have no idea how you could see him as being anything other than smug. Like, he may be nice to fans, sure, but in basically ever post-match interview he's in where he lost the match, he's the least generous ever - the opponent always got a lucky shot, or it was on his racquet and he just had a bad day, or the other person just relied on their serve and that's not really tennis is at, etc. He's barely ever able to just say "yeah, they played better than me", even when it's completely and totally true. When he wins, he can be absolutely horrendous - the "15" monogram does come to mind, one of the most cuntish things I've ever seen someone do, plus the constant shade he throws at Murray and Djokovic especially, and Hewitt back in the day (as a big Hewitt fan, that's probably a large source of the dislike). I mean, okay, he may be totally non-smug in real life, you're right, but I don't really have much evidence to suppose otherwise and in the absence of that his interviews alone would be enough to put me off by a mile. I don't think it's particularly difficult to figure out why he's one of the few guys who doesn't have any close friends on the tour except maybe Stan, and even that's been tense lately.

Reyne

Can Federer still take year end no1 or has that ship sailed now?

He can. Its a bit convoluted, though its still possible to pass Djokovic even if he wins Paris today. But then Fed would need to go undefeated at the WTF and Djokovic would have to screw up majorly... or thereabout. There is also a few points to be earned at the DC final which could impact the final result, I think.

I mean, it's a variety of reasons, not just the smugness, but I have no idea how you could see him as being anything other than smug. Like, he may be nice to fans, sure, but in basically ever post-match interview he's in where he lost the match, he's the least generous ever - the opponent always got a lucky shot, or it was on his racquet and he just had a bad day, or the other person just relied on their serve and that's not really tennis is at, etc. He's barely ever able to just say "yeah, they played better than me", even when it's completely and totally true. When he wins, he can be absolutely horrendous - the "15" monogram does come to mind, one of the most cuntish things I've ever seen someone do, plus the constant shade he throws at Murray and Djokovic especially, and Hewitt back in the day (as a big Hewitt fan, that's probably a large source of the dislike). I mean, okay, he may be totally non-smug in real life, you're right, but I don't really have much evidence to suppose otherwise and in the absence of that his interviews alone would be enough to put me off by a mile. I don't think it's particularly difficult to figure out why he's one of the few guys who doesn't have any close friends on the tour except maybe Stan, and even that's been tense lately.

You dislike Federer for being smug and doing 'cuntish' things but you're a fan of Hewitt?

MIMIC

Banned
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic defends his title in Paris, wins his 20th Masters title, and his 600th career win
RdJCu1I.gif

Raonic: EXPOSED. Like...for real

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
He can. Its a bit convoluted, though its still possible to pass Djokovic even if he wins Paris today. But then Fed would need to go undefeated at the WTF and Djokovic would have to screw up majorly... or thereabout. There is also a few points to be earned at the DC final which could impact the final result, I think.
Thanks Reyne, appreciate the answer

I'm going to assume from this it's not going to happen

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The DC final, oddly enough, doesn't actually count for the YE #1; it's technically considered part of next year's season - that is, the 2014 DC final points go towards the race for 2015. The YE #1 is officially decided at the end of the World Tour Final, so if Federer is no.2 at the end of the WTF but overtakes Djokovic at the DC final, he's not YE #1, just ordinary #1 (although that's a fair old achievement in itself). Similarly, Djokovic's DC points from 2013 don't drop off until after the WTF.

Federer can end as YE #1 if he wins the title undefeated and Djokovic goes 0-3 in the RR. If Djokovic wins even one match, Federer cannot go #1. If Federer loses even one match, Federer cannot go #1 even if Djokovic loses every match and Federer wins the title.

EDIT: Although I guess it depends on whether you're using the ATP's metric. There's probably a fair argument for going by purely the dates on the calendar alone, in which case it's easier for Federer - I think if Djokovic went 2-1, then lost to a 3-0 Federer in the semis who went on to win, and then Federer swept the DC completely, Federer would be calendar year-end #1. That's reasonably plausible, I think - both Murray and Nishikori could conceivably beat Djokovic if he has a dip, and Federer can if he plays well. Sort of depends on Wawrinka, though - an early loss by Wawrinka could make the DC go dead, and you don't get points from dead matches (what with them not being played and all), so Federer could be in the odd position where he is totally dependent on Wawrinka's performance if he wants #1.

Wozniaki may have a career in distance running. She ran 26.2 miles in 3hr:27min. That's just under an 8 minute mile average. And apparently the wind in NYC was gusting at up to 40mph today.

LuuKyK

Wozniaki may have a career in distance running. She ran 26.2 miles in 3hr:27min. That's just under an 8 minute mile average. And apparently the wind in NYC was gusting at up to 40mph today.

She is amazingly fit. No wonder she goes after every ball so easily during her matches.

Faith

1/3/5/7 in one group and 2/4/6/8 in the other, right?

So Djokovic, Wawrinka, Murray & Raonic vs. Federer, Nishikori, Berdych & Cilic?

Diamond

I won't go and begin a long debate on this, but just read this link to see there's another perspective on Roger than his post match interviews where, yes, sometimes he appears to be a bad loser (I'll say that I could find similar interviews for a lot of the top guys). We all have bad days.
http://yourvolleyssuck.wordpress.com/roger-federer-is-not-a-douche/
There's just plenty of anecdotes I read over the years of Roger being accessible and friendly in the locker room. That's why I was honestly surprised to read your first message.

You seem to really dislike him so I don't doubt you've done your research and have good reasons, but at least aknowledge that there are pretty good counter-arguments to your view.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
1/3/5/7 in one group and 2/4/6/8 in the other, right?

So Djokovic, Wawrinka, Murray & Raonic vs. Federer, Nishikori, Berdych & Cilic?

No, it's partially random. The only rules are that 1 and 2 can't be in the same group, 3 and 4 can't be in the same group, 5 and 6 can't be in the same group, and 7 and 8 can't be in the same group.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Federer's group is a hell of a lot stronger than Djokovic's. Feel sorry for Nishikori and Murray, that's not fun.

I think Djokovic and Berdych will qualify from Group A, and Federer and... uhm... one of Murray or Nishikori from Group B - leaning Nishikori because Murray probably doesn't have much left in the tank.

Reyne

Funny that Djokovic will probably go 3-0 against his group, given that he is sharing it with two other slam champs.

It does seem like everyone in group B can beat each other on a good day but I don't see anyone except an on fire Wawrinka beating Djokovic... and of course Stan hasn't been on fire since... I don't even know when. Hopefully going up against Djokovic again will wake him up. :/

Top Bottom