• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Faith

Played 2 matches today in a tournament. Lost one of them 2:6 7:6 7:5 (I was leading 6:2 5:3) and won the other 7:6 6:3 against the number 1 (has a much higher ranking than me) of the tournament.

His service was just soooooo fast. I've never experienced something like that before. I think his 1st service reached 200kmh sometimes. He won his first 2-3 service games to 0 because I couldn't return anything, was also leading with a break in the first set. Luckily I showed my best tennis of my life and managed to win, with a lot of luck I guess.

ghstwrld

4qfmAeM.png

SAGE

scarlet

Too bad you didn't get to see a closer match, but at least you got your desired result :)

Yup, I finally saw my idol whom I've been supported since 1998, and not only that, I also saw her won, and I also saw Evert, Billie Jean King, so many tennis legends in a day.

Faith

Come on guys, my tournament was more interesting than Basel & Valencia :p

Edit: Ah, Murray is playing right now. Should win this ^^

John Dunbar

correct about everything
robredo's ridiculous backhand down the line would be worth the title here. has a match point now.

edit: really should have won that point. i can see him folding now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is only the third set, but it feels like the fifth. They both looking fucking dead. Murray's leg looked like it just gave out completely that time he fell over, and Robredo's barely moving.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Poor Tommy. He's too tired to pull off a proper first serve and Murray is feasting on those weak serves. I mean, I like to see Murray win and I'm glad he's fighting, but this is not how you want to see your favourite player win. Glorious victory over an in-form opponent, yes, bitter fight out amongst two essentially dead players, no.

EDIT: although, at this rate he may not even win

EDIT: I can just feel Murray breaking himself now. It's coming.

EDIT: NOPE. Murray clutch as fuck, dictated every single point. Mental stamina up in this here.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
robredo is a real warrior. would be nice to see him take this, but i doubt he can win this breaker. should have closed it in the second.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
robredo is a real warrior. would be nice to see him take this, but i doubt he can win this breaker. should have closed it in the second.

I wouldn't mind if he won. He's been an incredible opponent, warrior on every point.

EDIT: It's over. Well done robredo, well done.

EDIT2: or not, fuuuck.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
even if you don't like murray, you have to give him massive fucking credit right now

EDIT: GOAT serve and volley, jesus christ

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
WHAT A FUCKING GOD

ROBREDO DIDNT EVEN CHOKE

JUST ABSOLUTELY FUCKING OUTPLAYED

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
back to number five in the race! once he has his physical conditioning sorted out, he;ll probably be an actual threat again for the AO.

EDIT: fuck, I feel for Robredo, though - 0/10 in match points against Murray over the last 5 weeks.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
good match. was a nice contrast to see two workhorses duking it out after the elegance of federer making it all look so easy earlier today.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
B05MTe4CAAAjlw0.jpg:large

The finger...

B05NMs9CIAEWkgR.jpg:large

...and then the man-hug. Huge respect to Robredo.

Diamond

Played 2 matches today in a tournament. Lost one of them 2:6 7:6 7:5 (I was leading 6:2 5:3) and won the other 7:6 6:3 against the number 1 (has a much higher ranking than me) of the tournament.

His service was just soooooo fast. I've never experienced something like that before. I think his 1st service reached 200kmh sometimes. He won his first 2-3 service games to 0 because I couldn't return anything, was also leading with a break in the first set. Luckily I showed my best tennis of my life and managed to win, with a lot of luck I guess.

Didn't saw this message, congrats for the win ! Did you get your national ranking from the past year, if I remember well it was your first year of competition ? Don't know how it goes in Switzerland but in France we have our rankings in late september/october.

Also, what kind of tournament was this ? Here in France it's pretty much impossible to meet a very high ranking player in the first rounds : the low ranking guys meet each other and the ranks gradually increase as days pass, higher ranked players being directly introduced in the draws vs the winners of the first matches. Basically if I meet a guy ranked 4 or 5 ranks ahead of me that's probably because I won 3 or 4 matches before.

B05MTe4CAAAjlw0.jpg:large

The finger...

B05NMs9CIAEWkgR.jpg:large

...and then the man-hug. Huge respect to Robredo.

Great sportsmanship from both. It's nice to see this level of commitment, even more in a 500 (I guess the fact Murray needed to win points and Robredo was in Spain helped to spice things up).

MIMIC

Banned
That was one crazy fuckin match. I came in at the beginning of the third set. Absolutely grueling contest. Can't remember the last time I considered a Murray match "exciting" xD

Also, I fuckin spoiled myself when I was gonna watch the Serena-Halep final. The commentators were talking about how tight the race was for No. 1 between Sharapova and Serena, and I thought to myself, "Hmmm....did Sharapova win a slam this year?"

I completely forgot that she won the French. So I checked out her wiki page, and saw that she won. And THEN I saw that she made 3 RG finals in a row. And I thought to myself, "Holy shit! Is that better than Serena?"

So I checked out Serena's wiki page, and saw that, indeed, Serena had only made 2 RG finals.

And then my eyes started wandering and I noticed that she won the Tour Championship -_______________-

lol

Diamond

It's a shame Dolgopolov can't seem to find some consistency, I really thought he had changed some things for the better after Indian Wells/Miami back in march, but he disappeared after his good results there. He'll finish in the top 30 which is quite good compared to 2013, but he could (should) be much higher.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Could, yes, should, no. Should is "this is a player you would expect" to do that well. You can never expect anything in particular from Dolgopolov.

EDIT: jerzy needs to sort his life out. he has so much potential it's painful to watch him waste it. get a better coach, get a fitness regime going, turn around the attitude, and he could probably breach the bottom of the top 10. as it is...

MIMIC

Banned
So....ummm....I basically killed myself today. Too much pride.

I had played 4 or 5 hours (doubles), and my partner STILL wanted to play (even though he had only been playing half as long).

I told him that my legs were dead and I can't play anymore. And he called me a "wuss" or something. I playfully said, "How about we play SINGLES. Right now."

And this motherfucker got the tennis balls, his racquet, and was ready to go

@_@

Ego match? OK, let's do it.

I won the first set 6,3. And OF COURSE he wanted to go best of 3. At this point, I was on the verge of death. It was kinda unrelated, but I threw up 4 times. This happens to me for some reason when I don't get enough sleep: I develop a massive gag reflex. Typically, I'll start gagging. But since I was running around so much, I was too tired to suppress the barf (which was only Gatorade and water).. I was totally fine afterwards. Like Nadal, I was running like a rabbit ^_^

Then my legs gave out >_< Like, gave the fuck completely out. I pride myself on running down 99% of drop shots, but stopping and starting killed my legs even more. I had to concede the point if he hit a drop shot.

Then I realized that I couldn't use my legs to serve >_< But fortunately, when I started playing tennis, I learned how to hit a powerful serve without using my legs. So I just went back to that.

I was up 3-0, but after my body started failing, he came back to make it 4-3*.

So I had to make some adjustments: moving around is killing me and the longer the ball was in play, the less chance I had to win the points. He saw that I wasn't getting to balls like I normally did, so he started going for lines more often. I made a decision: shorten these fucking points. So if I had a shot lined up (and sometimes when I didn't), I pulled the trigger (especially on his 2nd serves).

I won 6-4.

I was in too much pain to be happy :( I'm STILL in pain, lol

But he was one of those guys that talks a lot of crap (usually playfully, but still). This was a statement match. Me to him: "I am better than you." I always knew it, and he maybe knew it, but now he knows for sure :)

Just learned today there is a consolation WTA championship.

0,,12781~13221479,00.jpg

seeds:
(1) Ekaterina Makarova
(2) Dominika Cibulkova
(3) Flavia Pennetta
(4) Andrea Petkovic
(5) Carla Suárez Navarro
(6) Alizé Cornet
(7) Garbiñe Muguruza
(8) Tsvetana Pironkova

2013 Champion: Simona Halep

scarlet

Just learned today there is a consolation WTA championship.

0,,12781~13221479,00.jpg

seeds:
(1) Ekaterina Makarova
(2) Dominika Cibulkova
(3) Flavia Pennetta
(4) Andrea Petkovic
(5) Carla Suárez Navarro
(6) Alizé Cornet
(7) Garbiñe Muguruza
(8) Tsvetana Pironkova

2013 Champion: Simona Halep

Sadly for some people the season is already over.

MIMIC

Banned
How do you have so much time to play tennis in the mornings? Do you not go to work until noon?

I'm in law school. All my classes (except for one) are in the evenings. And the only day I play when I have class is on Wednesdays.

If i'm ever down in Florida MIMIC, we're playing, and I want you to do the post match write up

:)

And as for overplaying, I promised myself that I would never do it again. But I guess I can make an exception here or there. I promise not to overplay again for at least another 6 months!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
was too much to hope for that kohlschreiber would do some heroics here. murray's good form does give some hope though, so maybe he will perform the biggest service to tennis of his career and actually beat djokovic in the quarters for once (yeah right). more than likely he will just lose to dimitrov.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks for Kohli, though. He's actually a really good player, his RoS is sick and he has a lovely crosscourt BH, but he's like the anti-Raonic in that literally every competition I ever see him in he draws a top seed early. Should definitely be higher ranked than he is.

EDIT: I don't really mind too much how far Murray goes. The ideal scenario is he year-ends as no.4, which means he doesn't have to commit to too much of the Australian Open early season. My suspicion is that Wawrinka will go 0-3 in the group stages, and if Murray can match how far Wawrinka goes at Paris, he only needs 2-1 in the group stage to overtake Wawrinka for year-end no 4. That's definitely manageable, and so really making the QF and then having a promising loss to Djokovic if Wawrinka has already gone out is fine, especially if it gets him extra rest time for the WTF. I want to see Djokovic win Paris, though, or at least make it equally as far as Federer. Having a slamless no. 1 is just not a good thing for the sport.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
"slamless no. 1" is a pretty pointless and to be completely honest an incredibly petty thing to say in this situation, were it actually to happen. we are talking about a dude who has 17 of them, not a male wozniacki.

Having a slamless no. 1 is just not a good thing for the sport.

eh I don't know about that. I'm pulling for Djokovic too, but as far as Fed finishing #1 without a slam this year, I don't think that would "hurt the sport".

Ask a few random people on the street, take a straw poll, and ask "Who has won more slams this year: Federer or Wawrinka". Most of them would say Federer because given his history of winning they would assume Fed has more slams this year. Even a good number of tennis fans may get that question wrong.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
eh I don't know about that. I'm pulling for Djokovic too, but as far as Fed finishing #1 without a slam this year, I don't think that would "hurt the sport".

Ask a few random people on the street, take a straw poll, and ask "Who has won more slams this year: Federer or Wawrinka". Most of them would say Federer because given his history of winning they would assume Fed has more slams this year. Even a good number of tennis fans may get that question wrong.

That's why it harms the sport, though. Slams are the big opportunity to draw attention to the tennis world. If they're sidelined, and made less important, then they seem diminished. We want people to know Wawrinka has a slam!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I had this weird feeling Fed was going to struggle with Chardy today. Hopefully he can turn it around in the second set, can't see him coming back in this one.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This isn't choking brah. Federer's ability to hit those spots on serve is unreal. It's almost orgasmic.

I more meant when Chardy was serving for the set.

THIS is choking right now. Ugly service game.

Edit: god this is fucking awful lol

Top Bottom