• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
You know you played a pathetic match when the announcers clown on you.

"This was a really close match...for the first game and a half. *laughter*"

"Cilic was competitive in the walkout."

Why is everyone giving cilic crap? Berdych lost by the exact same scoreline today and he's getting off easier. djokovic and wawa just played extremely well today

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Why is everyone giving cilic crap? Berdych lost by the exact same scoreline today and he's getting off easier. djokovic and wawa just played extremely well today

berdych did not hit a single winner. there's not enough shit on this planet for him. cilic is at least a slam champion so there is some level of expectation.

embarrassing day all around for a year-end championship.

clemenx

Banned
What do you guys think about Dimitrov not wanting to go as an alternate? I find it dumb and suprising the amount of shit people are giving him. God forbid he wants to mantain a healthy personal life.

Niraj

berdych did not hit a single winner. there's not enough shit on this planet for him. cilic is at least a slam champion so there is some level of expectation.

embarrassing day all around for a year-end championship.

Pretty much. Cilic should be held to a higher standard as a slam winner. Losing 6-1 6-1 is pathetic, even if it is against the #1 player. Look at how the other slam winners and slam finalists performed. Stan won 6-1 6-1. Nishikori won 6-4 6-4. Federer won 6-1 7-6(0).

What do you guys think about Dimitrov not wanting to go as an alternate? I find it dumb and suprising the amount of shit people are giving him. God forbid he wants to mantain a healthy personal life.

I respect it. He said something to the effect of him only wanting to go if he earned a spot, not as an alt.

Diamond

I wouldn't be too hard on Cilic. Djokovic is the best indoor player right now and Marin obviously hasn't fully digested his slam title. Disputing his first WTF match ever in these conditions must have been difficult. Like Wawrinka, everybody suddenly expect more of him at each tournament he plays.

Of course it's not the best scenario for us watchers. Hey, at least Stan seems to regain momentum at the right time. We'll have good matches sooner or later.

Reyne

I think its an ok decision. Its been a long season and seeing as he only was second alternate he probably wanted to make the most of his off-season. Not like he needs the money that comes with being an alternate and then he would have to stay match ready on the off-chance that two people withdraws. That in itself can be stressful, not knowing if you will play or not.

Pretty much. Cilic should be held to a higher standard as a slam winner. Losing 6-1 6-1 is pathetic, even if it is against the #1 player. Look at how the other slam winners and slam finalists performed. Stan won 6-1 6-1. Nishikori won 6-4 6-4. Federer won 6-1 7-6(0).

Mm. I mean, I've seen more zest from nervous challanger-level player meeting Djokovic/Federer/etc in the first rounds of slams than I saw from Cilic ( and Berdych too really. ) This should be the battle-hardened elite squaring off, showing everyone what grit and determination got them there in the first place, but instead we get a bunch of pre-match comments from Cilic/Berdych how it sucks that they are in Djokovic's group and are mentally defeated before they even begin... *sigh*

Niraj

Mm. I mean, I've seen more zest from nervous challanger-level player meeting Djokovic/Federer/etc in the first rounds of slams than I saw from Cilic ( and Berdych too really. ) This should be the battle-hardened elite squaring off, showing everyone what grit and determination got them there in the first place, but instead we get a bunch of pre-match comments from Cilic/Berdych how it sucks that they are in Djokovic's group and are mentally defeated before they even begin... *sigh*

Exactly, they lost before they even started playing. Should be noted that that was the most lopsided match the two have ever had. Berdych definitely should be embarrassed too, but I never expect him to do anything but play Roger tough :p

Speaking of, glad Roger got through fairly easy. Thought Nishikori was going to be a bit tougher than that.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
disappointing match, but good news is that with two straight set wins federer is as good as through. hopefully he still plays well against murray.

Reyne

Couldn't watch the match but I thought for sure that Nishikori would pose trouble for Fed. Apparently not.

When we'll we get our first third set? :p

MIMIC

Banned
Raonic is probably the worst top 10 player of the last 30 years. Atrocious movement, can barely keep the ball in court, has only one reliable shot (the serve, obviously), etc.

I almost feel that any good shot he hits is mostly luck.

Reyne

Interested in how Wawrinka/Djokovic turns out. I mean, obviously with Stans form you'd expect Djokovic to routine him.
But this year, despite many bad losses against people he should beat - he has always done well against the top 10. Maybe he'll he might get fired up against Djokovic today. He did routine Berdych so there is that.

Well, we'll see though. Would be nice if Stan the man makes an appearance, if just for a set.

Cilic/Berdych though lol. They both deserve to go 0-3 but I guess one of them have to get a win so I hope Cilic takes this one.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather Berdych won so Ferrer can get back into the top 8 as swiftly as possible.

Rainy Dog

Lucky enough to be going tomorrow so will be seeing Nishikori/Raonic and Federer/Murray. Really chuffed with how it's worked out as it's obviously just a gamble when you buy the tickets months in advance.

What will it take for Roger to not go through at this stage? Nishikori straight setting Raonic and Murray doing the same to Roger?

Dispatch

So, in my regular tennis group on Tuesdays, one guy got hurt a few points in to the first set and another guy left to go to church.

Let's just say I'm clearly not in the shape I'd like to be in to be competitive at singles. :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky enough to be going tomorrow so will be seeing Nishikori/Raonic and Federer/Murray. Really chuffed with how it's worked out as it's obviously just a gamble when you buy the tickets months in advance.

What will it take for Roger to not go through at this stage? Nishikori straight setting Raonic and Murray doing the same to Roger?

If Nishikori straight-sets Raonic and Murray straight-sets Federer, then Murray, Nishikori and Federer all have 2-1 in matches and 4-2 in sets, so it goes down to game percentage. I think Murray would have to absolutely demolish Federer something like 6-3, 6-3, though, because of how badly Raonic lost to Federer, otherwise Federer's game percentage would still be better than Murray's and he would go through.

Reyne

Oh well, Berdych gets one. Figures.

How many games will the bird take from Djokovic this time though? 2? 1? Maybe Djokovic will get that elusive double bagel this time
j/k

John Dunbar

correct about everything
If Nishikori straight-sets Raonic and Murray straight-sets Federer, then Murray, Nishikori and Federer all have 2-1 in matches and 4-2 in sets, so it goes down to game percentage. I think Murray would have to absolutely demolish Federer something like 6-3, 6-3, though, because of how badly Raonic lost to Federer, otherwise Federer's game percentage would still be better than Murray's and he would go through.

6-3, 6-3 is not exactly a demolishing job. but in any case it would only be enough if nishikori loses only a few games to raonic, otherwise either him or murray will stay under federer's percentage.

edit: actually i don't think 6-3 6-3 would be enough for federer to be out. that would mean he still has higher games won percentage than murray.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
6-3, 6-3 is not exactly a demolishing job. but in any case it would only be enough if nishikori loses only a few games to raonic, otherwise either him or murray will stay under federer's percentage.

edit: actually i don't think 6-3 6-3 would be enough for federer to be out. that would mean he still has higher games won percentage than murray.

You're right, I was just doing quick head-maths, I'm off by a percent or two. Fed is 25-12, Murray is 21-20. I think 6-3, 6-2 does it because that makes it go 30-24 for Federer and Murray 33-25, which is favour of Murray. Regardless, the odds of that happening are extremely low, Murray is in poor form and Federer good. Even if Murray wins, it won't be a 6-3, 6-2 beat down.

MIMIC

Banned
So, in my regular tennis group on Tuesdays, one guy got hurt a few points in to the first set and another guy left to go to church.

Let's just say I'm clearly not in the shape I'd like to be in to be competitive at singles. :(

Why? What happened to you? :)

Wawrinka is playing pretty well so far. He isn't going for too much, which has been a problem for him this year. The match really sums up his form this year- good against top players, and not so good against everyone else. Hopefully Djokovic raises his level soon and Wawrinka can maintain his own, and we could finally get a 3-setter.
Edit: And...Djokovic wins 11 points in a row

miserable

Stan...

1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

I can see it all now. Fed goes through first in his group. Wawrinka will go through 2nd, beat Fed in the semis cause LOL then feed Djokovic two bagels in the final.

Reyne

Well it was the routine in the end. Djokovic playing good as expected, but errors are just spewing from Stans racket for no reason lol. And Djokovic still have a nice practice session with Berdych coming up, good for him.

Dispatch

Why? What happened to you? :)

I got old and complacent. It's been a few years since I've played singles at all, and I just couldn't track down shots like I needed to.

It was really depressing.

For the record, I'm 41 and last night was the first night I really felt 41.

Top Bottom