• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Roger getting revenge for the Masters Cup 2008 round robin. Murray came out looking pretty strong, but Roger's just smothering him now from all around the court.

If you average their first serve %s, which are pretty close anyway, could you find a worse first serve % match? Especially between players of their rank? This is just lol-worthy.

Edit: Set 2, 9% for Fed. wheeeee

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So is Murray eliminated from the semi's since he lost the first set?

Yes. Also, he will be eliminated anyway.

I imagine this is the point in his career where he wakes up in his bed next day, stained with the sweaty tears from the previous day, realizes he's reached rock bottom, and picks up the phone and begs Lendl to come back to him.

Yes. Also, he will be eliminated anyway.

I imagine this is the point in his career where he wakes up in his bed next day, stained with the sweaty tears from the previous day, realizes he's reached rock bottom, and picks up the phone and begs Lendl to come back to him.

Is he still with Mauresmo?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Is he still with Mauresmo?

Yes. It's clearly not working at all. This is not even a physical issue, it's not like he's tiring or his calves are going or anything, he is just mentally fucked in every sense. Can't get the ball over the net. Also, that serve is painful. There are people at my club with better serves than that, and that is not an exaggeration in any conceivable way.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
you have absolutely no option but to drop your coach after this. This is like, the definition of absolutely not working in any conceivable manner. he's playing worse than he did against Dimitrov at Wimbledon.

clemenx

Banned
B2WSJa_IAAI9fKQ.jpg:large

Lol. Poor Andy. That game was close.

Reyne

Fed knows he can double bagel Murray if he puts in a bit of effort. So he is gonna do just that lol.

Lets see if Murray can make it a bread-stick.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
so when was the last time a top 10 player got double bageled? i have a feeling federer will be merciful here and let him have this game, i just want to know when, if ever, was the last time it happened.

I refuse to believe Fed would double bagel Murray here, he'll gift him a pity game surely. I can't remember the last time there was a double bagel between two established players on the tour. This is not the WTA, players respect each other to a certain point.

Vaddon

Man, I almost feel bad for Murray. I can't recall a worse performance from him in any of the matches I've watched. Just sad.

Reyne

LOL! Mercy? Pity?

If I had half a chance to double bagel any opponent I met I would do it. Confidence and destroying confidence is everything in tennis. Not just for this match, but for the match that comes afterward. Fed knows this too. He wont drop a game because he feels sorry for Murray.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray hasn't had a double bagel since a Futures match in 2003.

EDIT: and manages to keep that dubious accomplishment alive.

Diamond

Sorry to not join the bandwagon guys, but does anyone remember last weeks ? Murray played an insane amount of matches to qualify for the WTF. Ok, he's not playing well, but you have to take that into account. Who really thought he'd be even 50% fit for this tournament ?
I sure wouldn't have predicted a double bagel or bagel-breadstick combo, but it's understandable. Andy is fried.

These guys are not robots.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sorry to not join the bandwagon guys, but does anyone remember last weeks ? Murray played an insane amount of matches to qualify for the WTF. Ok, he's not playing well, but you have to take that into account. Who really thought he'd be even 50% fit for this tournament ?
I sure wouldn't have predicted a double bagel or bagel-breadstick combo, but it's understandable. Andy is fried.

I definitely didn't expect him to do much of anything. You're right, he played a TON before this.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

It's not fitness, though, and I say that as a Murray fan. Just look at him. it's not like he's too tired to get into position to take the shot or anything, he just... can't hit anything in.

Diamond

It's not fitness, though, and I say that as a Murray fan. Just look at him. it's not like he's too tired to get into position to take the shot or anything, he just... can't hit anything in.

I'd argue it's definitely what happens when you're tired physically and mentally in tennis.

uh? respect is not pulling back. givin a pity game is the very definition of disrespect.

Only in an idealistic world where sport is all about giving your best etc. In reality, even Murray will be happy not getting double bagelled in London and the crowd will certainly be glad that Fed showed some mercy. Fed made his point anyway, when he led 6-0 5-0 0-30, he clearly started fooling around on the next 4 points.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The sad thing is that Fed wasn't playing great or something 39% first serves, yikes.

Yeah, this is the kicker. This was a Federer ripe for the taking by any reasonable top 16 player. Just shameful.

Diamond

Another aspect that could have played a part in the result : Murray knew he had to win in straights. When he saw, very early on, that he wouldn't be able to do that, he probably collapsed a little bit inside, and against someone like Federer on a surface he loves, it can't go well. It's absolutely not the same as entering the court for a classic match where, no matter how you play, if you win, you go to the next round.

That's a situation you encounter frequently in football (soccer) in group stage, even for the best teams.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
all those sky sports wankers are talking about how federer did everything great today, but nobody is mentioning his terrible first serve percentage.

Diamond

Federer adjusted to the match though, he didn't need to hit more 1st serves. He was in complete control from beginning to end.

Niraj

all those sky sports wankers are talking about how federer did everything great today, but nobody is mentioning his terrible first serve percentage.

Can't speak for them, but for ESPN, Darren Cahill brought that up. Roger said he didn't serve that well as well. If he had, the match probably would've been quicker, considering he won all (?) of his first serve points that he did have.

Faith

So if Djokovic loses 6:0 6:0 against Berdych and Wawrinka wins 6:1 6:1 against Cilic...Wawrinka would be 1st in his group :p

Reyne

I don't think Fed served poorly though. Since Fed won all his first serves in ( 14/14 ) and a higher than normal 63% of his second serves ( his average is 57% ) then that basically means that you don't get a chance to hit that many serves, first or second. Fed hit 36 serves and won 28 of those. Also, since Murray won only one game on his own serve, the match was over pretty fast. Its then a bit misleading stat and wrong to say that Federer served poorly when he was winning nearly every point on serve.

If Murray had challenged Federer more - won more second serves off Fed and a few first serves here and there, that would bring up the amount of first serves Fed would have to hit. Consider for instance that if someone hits 70-90% first serves, but the opponent wins 50% of those - thats not serving great even if the first serve percentage is high. Its just putting the ball in play and getting outplayed.

Diamond

I don't think Fed served poorly though. Since Fed won all his first serves in ( 14/14 ) and a higher than normal 63% of his second serves ( his average is 57% ) then that basically means that you don't get a chance to hit that many serves, first or second. Fed hit 36 serves and won 28 of those. Also, since Murray won only one game on his own serve, the match was over pretty fast. Its then a bit misleading stat and wrong to say that Federer served poorly when he was winning nearly every point on serve.

If Murray had challenged Federer more - won more second serves off Fed and a few first serves here and there, that would bring up the amount of first serves Fed would have to hit. Consider for instance that if someone hits 70-90% first serves, but the opponent wins 50% of those - thats not serving great even if the first serve percentage is high. Its just putting the ball in play and getting outplayed.

Sums it up pretty well.

Niraj

Yeah, that's fair, well said.

Top Bottom