• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Djokovic can win his next match dropping no more than 5 games, he will hold the WTF final record for least games dropped, currently held by a Monsieur I. Lendl (although that assumes parity between the masters grand prix and wtf).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I do think this has been a weak year, yeah. Nobody is really playing at top form at the moment. Nadal out on injury, Del Potro out on injury, Murray recovering from injury, Ferrer has had a lot of personal issues interfering with his play, Tsonga recovering from injury, Wawrinka not able to live-up to his own personal expectations, etc. Reminds me of pre-2008 tennis. Particularly 2007 - that was another really disappointing tMC/WTF. Lot of two-setters, quite a few wash-outs (ugh, gasquet-ferrer was something else).

MIMIC

Banned
I got old and complacent. It's been a few years since I've played singles at all, and I just couldn't track down shots like I needed to.

It was really depressing.

For the record, I'm 41 and last night was the first night I really felt 41.

Well if you haven't played in THAT long, it's gonna take a little while to get back into the swing of things. Just take it slow in the beginning.

Also, the Wawrinka-Djoker match: Wow. Another rout.

Placing bets on the first 3-setter

LuuKyK

I got old and complacent. It's been a few years since I've played singles at all, and I just couldn't track down shots like I needed to.

It was really depressing.

For the record, I'm 41 and last night was the first night I really felt 41.

If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same and I am 20 yo. :/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
you guys can play me and you'll all feel better. At least you can start points, my serve is atrocious!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Raonic revenge-trolling Murray.

EDIT: on the other hand, if Ferrer wins he takes back the no.9 ranking from Cilic, so an important match for him. Hopefully he can shove Raonic out of the top 8 seeds before the AO.

Reyne

Raonic lol. Maybe didn't wanna go 0-3.

Ferrer vs Nishikori could be a good match though. Might go the distance. Or not.

Who would have thought that it would take an alternate to bring us the first 3-setter and so far the beat match at the WTF. I doubt a healthy Raonic could have done better than David.

Saty

Federer should lose to Murray so he could face Novak in the SF and take him out so he'll get close to pass him rather letting him to get the points for reaching the final.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrer showing Raonic how a real #5-8 plays. Poor Ferrer, would have been so nice for him to get a win there. His year has been really shit and for a lot of things that are largely outside his fault, plus struggles with non-tennis life. Equally, though, Nishikori played like a boss, such a big step up from the Murray and Federer matches where he looked so washed-up. Creates a big challenge for Murray, as well - Murray can't qualify unless he wins in straight sets.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
if i'm not mistaken, with a win Federer could get the lead in the H2H since he won the very first game.

You're correct. This would be the first time Federer has ever had the H2H lead in this match-up. :/

EDIT: Murray hit a 72MPH second serve! What the fuck is wrong with him, jesus.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
nah, federer won the very first match.

Oh, well spotted. First time since Bangkok 2005, then. :p

EDIT: ugh I don't even want to watch this match. It's just not even going to be entertaining when Murray is serving this bad. Some of them are genuinely amateur level, not even Futures or Challengers.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
2 double faults and 4 unforced errors in the same game. :/ This is going to be painful, but thankfully short.

EDIT it's not even like Federer is playing well.

Wow that forehand. These errors from Murray. His first serve. Is he even there?! Did he just come out today with no desire at all to get past the group stage? /boggle

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
when you're up against the best you have to go for more, and therefore you will miss.

I mean, yes to a point, but when you're on 21%, it's probably a sign you would be better off going for less on account of going so far beyond that point that our conceptions of dimensionality struggle to account for the sheer vastness of the space involved here.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
murray got a real tennis lesson in that set. let's see if he actually plays well now when he knows he's going home no matter what.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No wonder you like Murray, you guys have a lot in common.

:p

That bagel, damn.

Murray might actually be better with my serve right now. it's not like Federer is even doing anything, Murray just gave basically an entire setworth of UEs.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it's good for tennis to see andy's dogshit second serve get punished like that. after all these years there's no excuse for him having done nothing to that wta level nonsense.

Top Bottom