• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
Nadal wins 18th Masters title, surpassing Agassi's all-time record. Also, Nadal is the first man to win 3 consecutive Masters titles: Monte Carlo, Rome & Madrid.

That match sure had a lot of good, bad and ugly

d+pad

zero_suit said:
You think Justine can win it?

You know, I'm not sure! She could, but so could Serena, Jelena or some surprise. I think Justine would have a much better shot if she'd go back to her old game, though -- or at least cut down on the errors a bit.

As for the men, Nadal's obviously the favorite, but I have to agree with him that he's not a lock for the title (no one is). I'm more interested in seeing how Federer fares, in a way -- will he continue to play well and go far, or will he bow out early? I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the latter.

jett

D-Member
That last point was kind of embarrassing for Federer. :lol I look forward to seeing this two match up again at Roland Garros...and Wimbledon. Nadal seems to be in top form again.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Aravane looked HOT. Mygod, that huge ass plus thighs is just allovermyface. Good agressive playing too aside from that

Nadal Federer was aight, never get tired of Federer's backhand

He had a nice outfit too

hsin

Banned
Teetris said:
Aravane looked HOT. Mygod, that huge ass plus thighs is just allovermyface. Good agressive playing too aside from that

Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to check out wimmenz tennis from now on...

jett said:
It's sooooooooo easy yet the only time he won the FO was when Nadal was out of commission. :lol Meh, whatever Federer.
You gotta beat the people in front of you. Doesn't matter Rafa lost to the Toad. Excuses. Excuses.

Peru

Ok, grass season starts tomorrow. I'm real excited. You're real excited. Everyone's excited, because the predictable Nadal win is no more.

Wimbledon could go any which way, methinks. Well, Williams sisters remain favourites on the women's side, but Clijsters is uninjured again, and other girls showed new form (Stosur, Schiavone) or glimpses of old greatness (Sharapova, Henin I guess) at Roland Garros. Will Andy Murray truly become a new Tim Henman and lose in the semis yet again? Is Nadal on a groove that will take him to another grass slam? Most of them will test the waters at pre-Wimbledon tournaments.

This week two AEGON tournaments in the UK. In Birmingham, the women. At Queens, the men. The men's tournament is more top bill, while the Classic is a minor women's tournament with few top ranking players. Unfortunately the weather forecast is also damp at best.

Women's AEGON Classic Top seeds:

Na LI (CHN)
Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS)
Aravane REZAI (FRA)
Yanina WICKMAYER (BEL)
Sara ERRANI (ITA)
Olga GOVORTSOVA (BLR)
Yaroslava SHVEDOVA (KAZ)
Andrea PETKOVIC (GER)

Men's AEGON Championships Top seeds:

Rafael NADAL (ESP)
Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB)
Andy RODDICK (USA)
Andy MURRAY (GBR)
Marin CILIC (CRO)
Sam QUERREY (USA)
Gael MONFILS (FRA)
Feliciano LOPEZ (ESP)

Deadman

With todays win nadal has already qualified for the masters final at the end of the year.

Ive got tickets for both semi finals :D (final was sadly sold out)

Peru

The Gerry Weber Halle stadium feels oddly different from any other tennis court... so closed and claustrophobic. Still a stylish place, I love to see grass courts

IMG_0261.jpg

Deadman

Yep its live.

Earlier on today nadal went to 3 sets against Istomin in quite a close match, Istomin played well. Nadal also had to call out the trainer after the 2nd set to work on his knee/thigh area, but didnt seem to be affected by any injury when playing.

Peru

Rain has been ridic in England.. worst in Birmingham. TODAY Sharapova finished her first match of the tournament that started last sunday (and she also played her second match, luckily they were both quick wins. Her serve is really good atm).

Fed looks comfortable enough in Germany, easy breezy so far though. Nadal was not at all at the peak of his powers today, who knows what that means. He couldn't serve the set home in the third either, but managed to fight back and break to 6-4.

Steroyd

Honorable mention of Roddick getting knocked out by some guy.

Funny thing is that it's been reletively sunny since summer started, and when I say reletively I mean no dark clouds till this week. :/

gumshoe

Banned
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Nadal tanked to get rest.

I don't buy that. He lost fair and square. Why bother playing in the tournament if you are going to purosely lose after 2 matches? This is his first tournament as the number 1 player in a year, and you are telling me he tanked it?? What kind of statement does that send to te rest of the tour??

gumshoe said:
I don't buy that. He lost fair and square. Why bother playing in the tournament if you are going to purosely lose after 2 matches? This is his first tournament as the number 1 player in a year, and you are telling me he tanked it?? What kind of statement does that send to te rest of the tour??
That he needs rest for Wimbledon. There is no other reason Nadal would lose to a Spaniard. They bow down to him whenever he asks.

Peru

Rafa has never been known to tank. When he lost matches last year it was a sign that he would do poorly in slams. We'll see.. I think it means he has to work extra hard to get a shot at the Wimbledon title.

Speevy

Banned
I'm just glad he won the French Open. Whatever else he does, whether handing the #1 back to Federer or losing other slams, he's come back from last year's series of disastrous injuries to dominate on clay again.

BowieZ

Banned
So Hewitt meets Federer in the Halle Final.

And once again, Hewitt will lose the tournament to the eventual champion.

He lost to Federer (eventual champion) in this year's Australian Open. He lost to Nadal (eventual champion) in last week's French Open.

Same thing has happened about 20 times over the past seven years or so, usually to Federer or Nadal.

Fucking pisses me off.

Peru

The only players to have experienced the Wimbledon final since ever -- Roddick, Nadal, Federer -- beaten in warm-ups.

BowieZ

Banned
I am stoked.

My jinxing works!

Well done Hewitt. Back fit and on form like it was 2003 all over again. (It was one of the best 3-set matches I've ever seen.)

Peru

I could make it if it's needed... though I always assumed Wes had monopoly on that, I guess he could be burned out after the giant world cup thread.

Bigfoot

MIMIC said:
Wimbledon draw is out. Is there an official thread yet?
Looks like Nadal got the "tougher" first week, but Fed got the harder semifinal match-up (he will have to play either Roddick, Hewitt, or Djokivic). Nadal will likely play Soderling (who he just destroyed) in the QF and Murray (who has been playing like crap lately) in the SF.

I could see another Fed-Nadal final but possibly slight upsets for both in the semis.

Speevy

Banned
Anyone watching the Azarenka/Sharapova match?

Murray/Querrey are on deck. I really thought Schuettler was going to beat Querrey, but they seemed to alternate choking until one of them gave in.

Speevy said:
Anyone watching the Azarenka/Sharapova match?

Murray/Querrey are on deck. I really thought Schuettler was going to beat Querrey, but they seemed to alternate choking until one of them gave in.

Same with the Tipsaravic match yesterday. Tipsy had match points and Querrey still won the match :lol

Would be a big win for Querrey if he can take out Murray today though

Peru

Wha? Sorry, but people are mistaken if they think she's giving 100% in every match. This was a classic semi-tank and that second set would never have looked like that in a Grand Slam. She should've won the first, mucked about a little and didn't, and said fuck it afterwards.

Querry down match point in the second set AGAIN and now we are in the 3rd set. Can Querry make it 3 matches in a row where he's down big and comes back? Stay tuned

Querry fucking did it! He beat Murray in the Final!! 2nd match in a row saving match points in the second set and come back to win. And a couple of matches ago he had to break serve 2 times against schuettler to stay in the match. I hope Querry can be this clutch in the US Open because Roddick's time has run out unfortunately.

I turned the TV on waiting for the X games, but this was surprisingly entertaining. Looking forward to seeing Querrey in the US Open.

Okay it wasn't Murray's best match but you got to give Querry credit for hanging in there long enough to give himself a win. Before the match Querry was 0-9 against Murray in SETS. Not only did Querry win a set, he won the match

Top Bottom