• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Yup. McEnroe just mentioned Federer thinks it is a re-occurrence of what was plaguing him through-out 2013, in which case it won't go away soon. If Federer's not capable of playing the Davis Cup, we'll probably know better about it as he'll need to release a more detailed statement.

EDIT: Also both McEnroe and Henman have suggested Murray should reconsider his appointment of Mauresmo... sharks circling.

I want to imagine Murray is picking candidates for a new coach. Mauresmo + 11 other candidates will face off on Rainbow road. The winner will be Murray's coach for 2015

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I want to imagine Murray is picking candidates for a new coach. Mauresmo + 11 other candidates will face off on Rainbow road. The winner will be Murray's coach for 2015

No, he'll put them through a much more serious trial than that.

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Faith

Is it possible for Djokovic to stay #1 till he has more weeks than Federer? I mean he just needs 3.5 years and there is nobody that could replace him right now?

Diamond

Is it possible for Djokovic to stay #1 till he has more weeks than Federer? I mean he just needs 3.5 years and there is nobody that could replace him right now?

IMO it's impossible to say, there are too many variables : Novak's motivation, Novak's health, Novak's age, new talented players coming every year, etc. The situation right now and in 3 years will be totally different. I mean who would've predicted 12 months ago that Wawrinka and Cilic would have won a slam each ?

That said, my two cents would be that Djokovic is not dominant enough to beat Federer's record. He's very good but 3.5 years at the top is simply huuuge, and he's already 27 years old.

A big error one can make in analysing sports is getting caught up in the moment after a big win or even a big match and forget that things change really fast and often. Last summer I saw you post after Djokovic lost in Toronto or Cincy and you said something like "if he continues to play like that he'll never win a tournament again" (hope I don't transform what you said). Shows you how fragile this all is.

In other news, Wawrinka and Federer definitely hate each other.

Faith

IMO it's impossible to say, there are too many variables : Novak's motivation, Novak's health, Novak's age, new talented players coming every year, etc. The situation right now and in 3 years will be totally different. I mean who would've predicted 12 months ago that Wawrinka and Cilic would have won a slam each ?

That said, my two cents would be that Djokovic is not dominant enough to beat Federer's record. He's very good but 3.5 years at the top is simply huuuge, and he's already 27 years old.

A big error one can make in analysing sports is getting caught up in the moment after a big win or even a big match and forget that things change really fast and often. Last summer I saw you post after Djokovic lost in Toronto or Cincy and you said something like "if he continues to play like that he'll never win a tournament again" (hope I don't transform what you said). Shows you how fragile this all is.
Yeah I said that. Was kind of disappointed in his form back then. But still, he is the most constant player since 2011. And it looks like he will be it for quite some time. 200 weeks should be easy.

MIMIC

Banned
This is great. FINALLY. Some drama to keep us entertained until 2015. Hopefully things get even better (worse) after the DC final ^_^ lol

As if there was any doubt, Cedric Mourier (umpire) confirmed that Wawrinka was pissed at Mirka

"Wawrinka replied, 'She is talking to me' and I realized that he was getting angry at the wife of Roger Federer"

http://www.20min.ch/ro/sports/tennis/story/20959608

Diamond

This is great. FINALLY. Some drama to keep us entertained until 2015. Hopefully things get even better (worse) after the DC final ^_^ lol

As if there was any doubt, Cedric Mourier (umpire) confirmed that Wawrinka was pissed at Mirka

"Wawrinka replied, 'She is talking to me' and I realized that he was getting angry at the wife of Roger Federer"

http://www.20min.ch/ro/sports/tennis/story/20959608

Wawrinka said:
We don't speak to each other anymore, but we're good [laughs]. We speak to each other through Seve (Luthi), that's the rule now [laughs]. No, I mean, these are little incidents that can happen, for us it didn't have such importance. That's why we discussed about that just after the match : we didn't want it to become something important. And we sorted it out. That's things that ultimately get us closer because we talk about it and then we move on. We never had big problems between us because we know each other, we're buddies, and during a match like a WTF semi-final, there can be some stress, because we're both here to win, not to play against a friend. But when the match is over, we move on.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Wawrinka-pas-de-probleme-entre-nous/515949

You're right, he seems FURIOUS. :)

That said, I agree that Mirka went a little bit over the top. Stress can do that to you. I see a lot of messages of this kind on this very thread on a regular basis.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Diamond, I hope you realize you just destroyed MIMIC's one real shot at true happiness. How could you?

I'm surprised Fed/Wawa haven't addressed the spat yet, when they could easily dilute the significance of the argument.

Federer could say something like "Yeah, we had a little argument but it was in the same manner as brothers would argue. We're brothers, countrymen, and have a lot of respect for one another, so we would never stay mad at eachother for more than a few minutes. We're best friends and always will be"

Diamond

I'm surprised Fed/Wawa haven't addressed the spat yet, when they could easily dilute the significance of the argument.

Federer could say something like "Yeah, we had a little argument but it was in the same manner as brothers would argue. We're brothers, countrymen, and have a lot of respect for one another, so we would never stay mad at eachother for more than a few minutes. We're best friends and always will be"

That's exactly what they did today during a press conference (see my post above).

Niraj

Stan's plan to cripple Roger and become Switzerland's hero is coming to fruition. He'll play doubles tomorrow and win, then clinch against Monfils. It's written in the stars.

ghstwrld

Serena: WTA Player Of The Year

It was a massive year for Serena Williams, with an historic 18th Grand Slam title, the biggest payout in tennis history and Year-End World No.1 presented by Dubai Duty Free among her many accomplishments. And now another one - she's WTA Player Of The Year.

"I'm really grateful and humbled to receive this award," Williams said of Friday's news. "It's been an amazing year. I'm truly blessed to be playing at this level this far into my career. I feel incredibly supported by my team, my family, the tennis community and the fans. I'm just so happy - thank you!"

[...]

Perhaps the most impressive number for Williams in 2014 was she went 12-1 against Top 10 opponents, showing she brings her very best against the very best time and time again. And the only blemish in that record came against WTA Rising Star Simona Halep in the round robin portion of the WTA Finals, which didn't stop her from winning the title anyway - and beating Halep back in the final.

Williams has now won WTA Player Of The Year award six times: 2002, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Only Graf (eight) and Navratilova (seven) have won it more times - in fact Graf, Navratilova and Williams are the only three players in the 38-year history of the award to win it more than twice.

I imagine some of the people opposed of Serena's award will say "But Serena only won one slam this year, give it to someone else for once!" but she did so much more than just winning a slam this year.

Reyne

Looks like Roger and Stan are playing doubles today.

Well, yeah. If they lose the doubles then its pretty much game over for Switzerland unless Federer is able to play at full strength against Tsonga and beat him, which is unlikely given the result of the previous match.

Niraj

Well, yeah. If they lose the doubles then its pretty much game over for Switzerland unless Federer is able to play at full strength against Tsonga and beat him, which is unlikely given the result of the previous match.

Well sure, but wasn't sure how much of an issue the back was for Roger. Expected a Stan sub at the minimum though. So far it looks like things are going well.

Niraj

Wow, that was an impressive point from Stan.

Edit: Great stuff. Hope they can win one of the two matches tomorrow!

Reyne

Nice.

Hope we get a good match between Fed and Tsonga tomorrow with Fed coming through, but I fear it'll probably come down to Monfils/Wawrinka.

Diamond

Great match, Stan and Roger played really well. Benneteau too but unfortunately Richard never seemed to relax totally. But he hasn't played well since the Davis Cup semi-final in Roland Garros so it's not exactly surprising. Really won't bother me if the Swiss win playing like that.
Given that Tsonga has somewhat of a confidence crisis, I wouldn't say it's sure he'll beat Federer tomorrow. And Wawrinka will be incredibly difficult to beat by any player anyway. So whoever wins I'm happy, but yeah, the Swiss are now in a very comfortable position.

Top Bottom