• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

I hear they are changing up college tennis rules this year in effort to make it more broadcast friendly. They already play let serves but this year it looking like no-ad scoring, tiebreak at 5 all, and a 3 hour time limit (if match is still being played after 3 hours, the player with the lead wins ). Some of these rules are atill being proposed and I really hope the stupid time limit doesn't pass.
A hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhaahahaahahahahhahahah what a joke. That's some USTA level shit. Disgusting.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I hear they are changing up college tennis rules this year in effort to make it more broadcast friendly. They already play let serves but this year it looking like no-ad scoring, tiebreak at 5 all, and a 3 hour time limit (if match is still being played after 3 hours, the player with the lead wins ). Some of these rules are atill being proposed and I really hope the stupid time limit doesn't pass.

future of american tennis looking bright.

MIMIC

Banned
I HATE excuses. Like....I really hate them. If it's one thing that makes me want to beat you even more, it's if you start making excuses.

Before we started playing, my friend is like, "My knee has been..." and I just tuned him out. REALLY? We haven't even started playing yet. -_______-

I hit a drop shot, and SURE ENOUGH, he scurried his ass to the net and retried it, almost as if nothing was wrong with him. After the point, I went, "You knee looks fine to me." lol

Last time we played (I won), I had 1) a hernia, 2) a tweaked ankle, and 3) a HOLE in the bottom of my shoe. But did I bring this up at any point during out match? No. Because if I thought any of that would inhibit me from winning, I WOULDN'T PLAY. Plus, it's lame. Everybody is going through some kind of crap (even though they don't reveal it). No one excuse is more valid than the other if you've taken the court.

/rant

(I won of course, lol)

scarlet

I HATE excuses. Like....I really hate them. If it's one thing that makes me want to beat you even more, it's if you start making excuses.

Before we started playing, my friend is like, "My knee has been..." and I just tuned him out. REALLY? We haven't even started playing yet. -_______-

I hit a drop shot, and SURE ENOUGH, he scurried his ass to the net and retried it, almost as if nothing was wrong with him. After the point, I went, "You knee looks fine to me." lol

Last time we played (I won), I had 1) a hernia, 2) a tweaked ankle, and 3) a HOLE in the bottom of my shoe. But did I bring this up at any point during out match? No. Because if I thought any of that would inhibit me from winning, I WOULDN'T PLAY. Plus, it's lame. Everybody is going through some kind of crap (even though they don't reveal it). No one excuse is more valid than the other if you've taken the court.

/rant

(I won of course, lol)

So you're friends with Nadal?

JK

ShyGuy

So is anyone watching the IPTL? It's pretty fun- I find the format really interesting!

I was JUST going to mention the IPTL myself!

I had never heard of it, until Lleyton Hewitt dedicated his IPTL win to Phillip Hughes, so I read up on it and really like the idea. Basically World Team Tennis with a minor twist. Unfortunately there are no broadcasters in Australia doing it...so I can't actually watch it.

I really hope it takes off and they add teams from Australia (preferably Melbourne where I'm from) and other Grand Slam nations.

It's a great idea, and seems like something good to watch as a spectator for a few hours (like going to the Footy or any time-limited sports event like a Basketball match)

So i'm planning on taking my mum to the Aus open next year, we've never been to a major tournament and she has always wanted to. Anyway to cut to the chase she's a huge Federer fan and this may be one of the last chances to see him (she's never seen him live). I'm wondering what tickets should i be looking at to try and see Federer. It would be good just going to the event but if possible i'd like to try and do this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

LuuKyK

So i'm planning on taking my mum to the Aus open next year, we've never been to a major tournament and she has always wanted to. Anyway to cut to the chase she's a huge Federer fan and this may be one of the last chances to see him (she's never seen him live). I'm wondering what tickets should i be looking at to try and see Federer. It would be good just going to the event but if possible i'd like to try and do this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, Ive never actually been to any major but basically Federer always plays in the main court, so I think you just need to see which day he starts playing and buy the main court pass. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but I think thats it really. Just have to pay attention to when it opens for people to buy it, because they probably sell out fast.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also not to be a negative nancy but earlier is better if you want to guarantee seeing him. Obviously you'll get a higher quality match if you get to see, say, a semifinal with him in, but the caveat is he may not make that far. R4 seems a totally safe bet.

MIMIC

Banned
FACT: When you play like you don't give a flying fuck, you will play superior tennis

(I played about 3 or 4 sets before the one in question)

So me and my new partner lost the first set. Because I've been running like a rabbit all day, I started to cramp....and against my better judgment, I still wanted to play it back.

Because I can't move my legs (90% of my game is in the legs), I had to rely on 1) my serve and 2) my ground strokes.
-And because I was in "I don't give a frack" mode, my serve was a monster; I held every single time I stepped up to the line.
-My opponent tested my legs, too (what an asshole, lol). They both kept pinning me back really deep, and I kept hitting the ball short....and then he drop shotted me. >_< I never let them him do that again. Every time I got a shot, I hit a DEEP return; my legs wouldn't let me scramble backwards and forwards. And if I missed, oh well. But I had to at least TRY to make every single shot deep.

We went down 4-2* but evened it up at 4-4. At 5-4*, we faced a set point. In my mind, I was like "thank God this is over". But I still was going to TRY; I will never voluntarily give a point/game/set/match away.

We saved the set point and held to make it 5-5. Later, we broke them to go up 6*-5.

And like I said, I was too injured to dick around. I was so happy that I was the one who got to serve it out.
0-0: ACE! (out wide)
15-0: I made a BH unforced error
15-15: ACE! (down the T) lol

I held to win 7-5

I just thought that it was hilarious that all the while I was out there, I didn't hit a single ace. But as soon as I became injured, I was able to hit 2 in a single game.

-----------------

Also, I was watching Bouchard the other day: she reminds me of a poor, poor, poor man's Sharapova. Here misses are absolutely inexplicable. I don't see much of her, but those last bagels she got make sense now.

Peru

SI named Halep Sharapova FO final best of the year- I agree, the stakes were super high and the match delivered. Also Masha delivered, after hustling through the ch ship she upped her level considerably faced with a much tougher opponent than earlier. I was super impressed. Then she played like shit the rest of the year.

LuuKyK

SI named Halep Sharapova FO final best of the year- I agree, the stakes were super high and the match delivered. Also Masha delivered, after hustling through the ch ship she upped her level considerably faced with a much tougher opponent than earlier. I was super impressed. Then she played like shit the rest of the year.

Totally agree, that final was amazing. Great rallies and intensity. To be honest her entire FO run was incredible/dramatic. Coming back to win in three sets in four consecutive matches in which she was pretty much out of it was extremely impressive. A real contrast to her flop rest of the year. Guess she really is a clay court player now.

scarlet

Yup, agree. Best WTA match I watched last year.

LuuKyK

Btw. Genie <3

B4w5m-rIgAE_sbh.jpg:large

MIMIC

Banned
I want to go to the store, buy a gun and some bullets, load the gun, and shoot my doubles partner
an angry glare

*sigh*

MIMIC

Banned
I was fucking terrible today. I won though--6-4, 7-6(6)--but I don't feel good about it =p

EDIT: Tennis Channel is showing the Venus/Kvitova Wimbledon match...and it occurred to me: both winners (Djokovic and Kvitova) had to beat someone who had at least 5 Wimbledon titles. Federer with 7 and Venus with 5.

oti

Banned
Just so you know guys, Eurosport Player will cost more money from 2015 on. I always subscribe for the Grand Slams and cancel immediately after that, so they sent me the heads up. You can subscribe now for a year and get it for the old price. (Absolutely not worth it if you're like me and only in for tennis.)

BTW: I'm also a subscriber to TennisTV, how can I watch older matches in their entirety? The catch up section only shows matches for the last few days.

oti

Banned
Wonder if I should subscribe to TennisTV

*checks website*

That's a lot of damn money, lol

Don't you have like the Tennis Channel? THAT SOUNDS AMAZING. TennisTV is my only option to watch good Tennis here in Germany... and that's said.

MIMIC

Banned
Don't you have like the Tennis Channel? THAT SOUNDS AMAZING. TennisTV is my only option to watch good Tennis here in Germany... and that's said.

Haha, yeah. I thought TennisTV was more like an on-demand type of service (which I guess it can be in addition to streaming).

EDIT: Oh yeah, I beat my friend 6-2, 6-0 today. My serve was pretty good today (3 aces, 1 DF). He asked if I was on steroids. Technically, I am lol (had an allergic reaction and my doctor put me on some meds, one of which is a steroid)

LuuKyK

Genie is in Australia. Her 2015 tour domination is about to start. Waifu <3

B6Un3rLCMAEN7Yb.jpg:large

Murray beat nadal 6-2 6-0 in an exhibition tournament today.

lol

I was watching some highlights and Murray hit a lefty forehand winner against Lopez I think. Quite cool.

The 2015 season gets underway in Brisbane tomorrow. Sharapova the #1 seed on the womens side, Federer the top seed on the mens side. We're 2 weeks from the AO

FootballFan

If you lose a set 6-0, its nicknamed being "bageled"
If you lose a set 6-1, its called being "breadstick'd" or "baguette'd" for the Frenchies

Oh so she loses sets 6-0 often I guess. Thanks.

I was at the ASB Classic earlier today. Not sure if you've heard of it lol. Tennis tournament in New Zealand.

Watched a few matches. Hantuchova vs Errani and some doubles matches. It was so hot, but good to see some semi good players for once lol.

Top Bottom