• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fed just destroyed Baby Fed in under an hour. Federer faces Raonic tomorrow for potential win #1000

Guess Roger got that rust out in the first match. Surprised Raonic beat Kei, but I guess that can happen when you've got three coinflips.

In other news, Simona Halep has her first title of the year.

LuuKyK

Omg. Maria chokerpova. How in the world did she not win the first set? Flop.

And now Ivanovic has asked for a medical time out. NID.

Peru

Omg. Maria chokerpova. How in the world did she not win the first set? Flop.

Great form this week until today, clinical hitting very different from last year's HC season - but then she lost it this first set and was her 2014 model again. Didn't watch 2nd set but looks like she started playing tennis again.

LuuKyK

Great form this week until today, clinical hitting very different from last year's HC season - but then she lost it this first set and was her 2014 model again. Didn't watch 2nd set but looks like she started playing tennis again.

I can watch the match so I am just following the live score, but I watched highlights of the other matches and she was really impressive.

Just unbelievable that in the form she let a 4-1 lead go and missed a thousand break points and set points.

Oh well, lets see how the third set goes.

Edit: obviously ana asked mto and in the first game was running like her life dependend on it. lol

LuuKyK

Now she is wasting another 3-0 lead. Lol

Wow, but they both have 10+ aces. Quite impressive, especially for shoulderpova.

Dispatch

She's too aggressive, meaning she doesn't play the percentages enough. Rarely does she hit a defensive shot to get herself back into the point. She looks like she doesn't trust her ability to chase down shots at all. Honestly, she doesn't move that poorly for someone her size, though she's clearly not in the class of Serena when it comes to movement.

Peru

She's not too aggressive, that's just the way she needs to be. When she was at peak powers circa 2008 she was as aggressive and had a laser-like precision. The thing is it's not and can't be simple ball bashing, she plays angles angles angles. There's no way she could scale back and try to play safe, it would ruin her tennis mojo. Defensively she's come a long way from the earliest years, though. But some things were probably done to her hc game off-season because that just didn't work last year, she was on clay mode the whole year.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Really happy for Ferru. After having been 1-10 in his last 11 finals, this was such a big moment, particularly in a tournament that featured two of the big four; it's only the second time he's managed to win a tournament at least two of them entered. He played really, really well - movement was superb. Hopefully he's on a comeback roll, he's really close to over-taking Cilic again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cilic is going to plummet when those US Open points come off at this rate.

EDIT: The upside is James Ward has direct entry to the Australian Open main draw as a result! Massive result for him. If he wins a single match, he's into the top 100.

Juan Martin del Potro is eager to make his long-awaited return to the ATP World Tour at the Apia international Sydney despite admitting that he still feels some pain in his left wrist. Facing the media at a pre-tournament press conference Sunday, the defending champion said that he still experienced pain at times but has been reassured that he won’t damage his wrist by returning to tournament play.

“[The wrist] hurts a little bit. It bothers me sometimes when I hit backhands but I am trying to hit harder because I need to hit harder if I want to play this tournament. Sometimes the pain is high, sometimes it is low," del Potro said.

link

A3FA82B06833467C80AAA9E50153B9B0.ashx

Smellycat

Phew! I am glad that Federer was able to get the 1000 in a final. 83rd title and 15th year in a row winning one.

After the AO hopefully I will be able to say "It is over 1000" lol

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Of course he was going to win, he went to vulture some minor tournament and completely avoided the tournament with the no.1 and 3 seeds and of course, the current man of the season and favourite to win the Australian Open after having won a tournament with two of the big three having entered (Federer having fled) and crushing his way through the final in straight sets, the one and only David Ferrer. It's not a true win.

not serious

not entirely

Of course he was going to win, he went to vulture some minor tournament and completely avoided the tournament with the no.1 and 3 seeds and of course, the current man of the season and favourite to win the Australian Open after having won a tournament with two of the big three having entered (Federer having fled) and crushing his way through the final in straight sets, the one and only David Ferrer. It's not a true win.

not serious

not entirely

He had a choice of playing a tournament in Australia or the middle east. Pretty easy decision imo

Who's going to watch the FAST4 debut with Fed vs. Hewitt tonight?

I just read up on the format and it sounds a lot like what the ITA/USTA has in mind for the future of college tennis. DI mens players already play let serves that land in the service box, and tiebreaks are played in some cases at 5 games all. Its all in an effort to expedite the tennis match for tv broadcasts.

I just read up on the format and it sounds a lot like what the ITA/USTA has in mind for the future of college tennis. DI mens players already play let serves that land in the service box, and tiebreaks are played in some cases at 5 games all. Its all in an effort to expedite the tennis match for tv broadcasts.

To be honest I like what I read about the FAST4, similar points to what you wrote. Yes it's all for TV. I'll miss the epic 5 set matches but given the time to devote I'll happily take this quicker format.

• Singles matches as best of 5 sets
  • 4 game sets with a shorter tiebeak at 3 all (5 points tiebreak with sudden death point if 4 points each)
  • No deuce advantage, receiver decides which side to play and it's a sudden death point
  • Net cords continue play, if they land in the service box
  • Players can't sit down between games, must continue play within 60 seconds
  • Players can sit/rest for 90 seconds between sets

Full Rules PDF Link

To be honest I like what I read about the FAST4, similar points:

• Singles matches as best of 3 sets
  • 4 game sets with a shorter tiebeak at 3 all (5 points tiebreak with sudden death point if 4 points each)
  • No deuce advantage, receiver decides which side to play and it's a sudden death point
  • Net cords continue play, if they land in the service box
  • Players can't sit down between games, must continue play within 60 seconds
  • Players can sit/rest for 90 seconds between sets

Full Rules PDF Link

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this year in college tennis they removed "Ad" scoring in favor of a sudden death point at 40-all, AND they eliminated the warm-up with your opponent. As soon as the players get on the court, they flip a coin for serve and play.

In FAST4, I wonder what the penalty is if a player sits down anyway on a changeover. In normal scoring tennis, a player is not to sit on the first changeover, but most players do it anyway. The only player I know that honors this rule is Serena.

In unrelated news, Wozniaki retired from her 1st round match in Sydney after dropping the first set to Strycova

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this year in college tennis they removed "Ad" scoring in favor of a sudden death point at 40-all, AND they eliminated the warm-up with your opponent. As soon as the players get on the court, they flip a coin for serve and play.

In FAST4, I wonder what the penalty is if a player sits down anyway on a changeover. In normal scoring tennis, a player is not to sit on the first changeover, but most players do it anyway. The only player I know that honors this rule is Serena.

In unrelated news, Wozniaki retired from her 1st round match in Sydney after dropping the first set to Strycova
This whole changing the scoring is absolutely ridiculous. Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic. It is not needed in the slightest and college tennis will never be televised in any significant capacity. They are moving it from a sport to a game. Fuck the USTA and the NCAA.

Rogowska free ride for seven years

Yeah isn't she in her mid 20's now? US-Open wildcards are generally given to American prospects under age 20. If you don't have a ranking to get a direct acceptance after turning 20, tough luck.

Also, Kaley Cuoco's husband Ryan Sweeting is trying to qualify for a futures tournament. That's the lowest of the low in professional tennis.

Top Bottom