• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The meltdown on MTF from a Berdych win would be incredible.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
can't wait for the commentators to start talking about how great djokovic started playing when birdbrain is just hitting everything out.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Berdych is actually playing quite well in patches, though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the match has actually been almost entirely on berdych's racket so far. unfortunately we know how that will always end.

I mean, he did beat Nadal at the AO. Only lost to Murray who was in pretty decent form.

szaromir

Banned
the match has actually been almost entirely on berdych's racket so far. unfortunately we know how that will always end.
That's not surprising though. What's held Berdych's career back is not his abilities but his mental midgetry when seeing Nadal or Djokovic on the other side of the net.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the only thing of interest left in this match is seeing will berdych win 2 or less games in the second set.

I disagree, I think. Berdych made the first set go to 7-5 with 39% first serves in. If his serve recovers, we have a match on.

szaromir

Banned
Birdbrain is being bitchy though. :p Massive opportunity he lost there with that volley into the net. Still, the rest should be good for him.

szaromir

Banned
Birdbrain is off to a flying start again. Maybe he can somehow snatch two sets off Djoker, thanks to that break fitness will be less of a factor.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
would be nice if berdych would actually perform a miracle here. maybe that would knock out the crayon out of his brain homer style and turn him into a mental giant.

edit: berdych gets the second. just don't get bageled in the third.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
When I saw that John posted "don't get bageled in the third" I expected the worst. Sure enough, Berdych is down 4-0.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
there has to be some agreement between the entire men's tour to play like shit against djokovic in a deciding set.

It is getting a bit odd at this point. It's not like Djokovic even ups his game, everyone else just chokes horrendously.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Berdych was consistent, this would have been a 2-set win in his favour.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That was a beautiful DTL by Berdych. Normally I don't like him, but I'm really rooting for him right now.

EDIT: THAT FOREHAND. JUST BEAUTIFUL.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I hate that feeling when you're praying for comeback but you know it won't happen.

MIMIC

Banned
It's definitely very hard to keep focus at all times. I wrote that but I would probably have been pissed too in that kind of situation. :)

I played with this guy again. I was a lot more positive....but here's why I get so annoyed with him: he has a very, very strange (and insanely slow) service motion. He bounces the ball once. Pauses. Bounces it again. Pauses. Bounces it again. Pauses. Bounces it again. Pauses.

Then he holds it against he racket for a few seconds as he prepares his ball toss.

So, his service motion almost last 13 seconds @_@ And just imagine: he typically has to redo his ball toss, so....his games last FOREVER. He, again, doubled faulted 3 times in one game....so the game itself lasted like 20 minutes. lol

But anyway, we won 6-2.

But on to Novak: First guy to win Indian Wells, Miami & Monte Carlo (and you can even though the Australian Open in there) ^_^

Ricker

Yep,It's all in her head right now...she just gave up in the last set after a few great shots by Mitu...it's like she just wanted to end it,and it was only 2-1,not even hustling on some shots she could of reached...she lost confidence in herself.

So anyway,Canada lost,Francoise Abanda played well again but couldn't win the last set...she played really great this weekend though for a 260th seed.

MIMIC

Banned
genie-hand_zpslzsp3rfe.gif~original

(from Tennis Warehouse)

MIMIC

Banned
I hope so. Djokovic doing the career grand slam weakens what Fed and Nadal did in the history books. The truth is the game is played pretty similar on all surfaces now though since they slowed everything down, so it makes sense so many are winning all slams compared to when Sampras played.

Every last word of this post is utterly ridiculous. Djokovic is an all-time great.

If anything, Federer needs to thank SODERLING for allowing him to fluke his lone RG title and Nadal needs to thank RODDICK for allowing him to win his lone Australian Open title.

Meanwhile, Djokovic has had to win his slams the hard way: going through the guys who have won it the most: Federer at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open and probably Nadal at RG (even though Djokovic can handle Nadal quite easily on clay, something Federer could never do).

Djokovic hasn't had the luxury of being able to win important titles without also having to beat the toughest opponents. Of Federer's 7 important clay titles (6 Masters and a slam), he only won two by beating Nadal. On the other hand, Djokovic had to beat Nadal five times en route to his 6 clay Masters.

So to act like Djokovic is less deserving of a career grand slam is absolutely ridiculous. He has had to work 10x harder than both Federer and Nadal to get where he is.

Diamond

I do agree on the fact that Djokovic is a fantastic player who deserves his palmares : he pretty much managed to combine offense and defense in a never seen before way and he has an extraordinary physical condition. What I don't understand is why, in these kind of debates, one always has to diminish the accomplishments of other great players to prove his point. Djokovic's wins have value because he had to beat great champions like Nadal and Federer on his way. If, in your demonstration, you argue that Roger and Rafa had it easy compared to him, then automatically what Djokovic did isn't so great either.

scarlet

Is it really that surprising at this point?

Ana 2.0

I do agree on the fact that Djokovic is a fantastic player who deserves his palmares : he pretty much managed to combine offense and defense in a never seen before way and he has an extraordinary physical condition. What I don't understand is why, in these kind of debates, one always has to diminish the accomplishments of other great players to prove his point. Djokovic's wins have value because he had to beat great champions like Nadal and Federer on his way. If, in your demonstration, you argue that Roger and Rafa had it easy compared to him, then automatically what Djokovic did isn't so great either.

Yup. Then Nole have to thank Rafa's injuries, Fed's age, and Murray's whatever it was.

Win a GS is an accomplishment, no matter what.

MIMIC

Banned
Ana 2.0

Yup. Then Nole have to thank Rafa's injuries, Fed's age, and Murray's whatever it was.

Novak has never had to rely on Nadal being injured to win anything. 2011 is a prime example. And Federer's age is just as irrelevant. He won 2 Masters last year, made a slam final, and is currently ranked No. 2. Why are his current results so far ahead of Dimitrov, Raonic, Pospisil and every other "young" player if the only thing that matters is his age?

Not to mention that Djokovic was 19/20 when he beat Federer in a Masters final and in a slam semi. Was Federer "old" back then, too? It was quite obvious that Djokovic was good enough to beat all-time greats on his on, regardless of age.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm as big a federer fanboy as they come, but even i admit that the only reason 33 year old federer is ranked number 2 is because the field is weak as shit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'm as big a federer fanboy as they come, but even i admit that the only reason 33 year old federer is ranked number 2 is because the field is weak as shit.

haha fed can't win man. that "field is weak as shit" thing is something fed detractors also use when talking about his GS total.

scarlet

Novak has never had to rely on Nadal being injured to win anything. 2011 is a prime example. And Federer's age is just as irrelevant. He won 2 Masters last year, made a slam final, and is currently ranked No. 2. Why are his current results so far ahead of Dimitrov, Raonic, Pospisil and every other "young" player if the only thing that matters is his age?

Not to mention that Djokovic was 19/20 when he beat Federer in a Masters final and in a slam semi. Was Federer "old" back then, too? It was quite obvious that Djokovic was good enough to beat all-time greats on his on, regardless of age.

Talking to you feels like I'm talking to my ex, sigh.

MIMIC

Banned

I don't understand this line of reasoning. Are you expecting an all-time great to forget how to play tennis once they reach their 30s or something? Agassi was No. 2 at 33. Just like Connors, Rosewall, etc. It's not a coincidence that the best of the best managed to stay at the top of the rankings once they reached their mid-30s.

haha fed can't win man. that "field is weak as shit" thing is something fed detractors also use when talking about his GS total.

Well it's no secret that Roddick, Hewitt and others couldn't even play on clay.

IISANDERII

It's not even that she refused, it's that she's putting so much focus on useless things, including bullshit like "oh no, I don't wish my opponents good luck because blah blah blah".

She should focus on important things, not be dreaming up/committing to pre-match handshake policies.

Top Bottom