• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Diamond

Yeah, but which young talent is going to be ready in the next 3 years? Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov aren't young talent; they're in their prime. Nishikori might snatch some time at no.1, but I doubt it. Kyrgios and Coric might just about be ready before 3 years is up, but it'd be a stretch.

I think all the guys that are 18-19-20 years old today and are ranked between 50th and 200th in the world can explode in the next two years. It's difficult to know exactly who, because at this point it's not enough to see them play, it's partly up to their future choices, their capacity to adapt to the Tour, their training programs, their physical evolution (the Zverev height discussion a few posts ago was a good example), etc. To sum up : things that we can't predict. But the sheer number of promising young players who already managed to beat seasoned top 100 players is something we haven't seen in a long time, so I'd be surprised to see the same guys at the top in two-three years.

szaromir

Banned
I don't think Djokovic can match Fed's legacy. When both are retired, Roger will have had much better career at majors. Novak will probably have won significantly more Masters 1000 events, but their importance is just a fraction of slams. I don't think 160 more weeks at #1 is within his reach either. Yes there are no new GOAT candidates on the horizon, but tennis is a game of small margins and a slight dip in Novak's level might make him far less dominant than he is at the moment.

And finally, Novak simply does not have Roger's flair or charisma, which is why crowds usually cheer for his opponents, which is not the case for Fed.

I don't think Djokovic can match Fed's legacy. When both are retired, Roger will have had much better career at majors. Novak will probably have won significantly more Masters 1000 events, but their importance is just a fraction of slams. I don't think 160 more weeks at #1 is within his reach either. Yes there are no new GOAT candidates on the horizon, but tennis is a game of small margins and a slight dip in Novak's level might make him far less dominant than he is at the moment.

And finally, Novak simply does not have Roger's flair or charisma, which is why crowds usually cheer for his opponents, which is not the case for Fed.

I couldn't give a damn about charisma, flair, or likability. Results are king. And if Novak wins the French this year or next, I could definitely see him one day matching Feds slams if he can stay healthy. Also, here's Novak's apology to the ballkid

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/06/tennis/djokovic-apology-tennis-miami-open/

szaromir

Banned
I couldn't give a damn about charisma, flair, or likability. Results are king. And if Novak wins the French this year or next, I could definitely see him one day matching Feds slams if he can stay healthy. Also, here's Novak's apology to the ballkid

Eh, eg. Connors' and McEnroe's on-court behavior are a significant part of their legacies. Similarly, the impression current players are leaving will remain imprinted in public memory for the next few decades. Tennis isn't like track and field where pretty much only results matter.
And yeah, Djokovic is 28 and has won 8 majors. Expecting him to win 9 more is rather unrealistic, he was 20 when he won his first one so if he was able to keep his slam-winning rate he'd reach his 17th at the age of 36.

Diamond

Nice vid.

As for the Grand Slams, let's not get ahead of ourselves. 9 slams is an enormous number, and Novak, as I wrote before, is 28 already. You have to remember how hard it is to win these tournaments, even if we have a generation of players that accumulate them like rarely before.
First of all, let's see how Novak fares at Roland Garros.

Nice vid.

As for the Grand Slams, let's not get ahead of ourselves. 9 slams is an enormous number, and Novak, as I wrote before, is 28 already. You have to remember how hard it is to win these tournaments, even if we have a generation of players that accumulate them like rarely before.

I agree. If he can't win Roland Garros this year, I think it's safe to say he won't be touching Feds slam record. If he does win, I think he at least has a chance to catch him...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I agree. If he can't win Roland Garros this year, I think it's safe to say he won't be touching Feds slam record. If he does win, I think he at least has a chance to catch him...

After 2011, dude is only averaging a slam a year. He'd have to do better than that if he wanted to catch up.

scarlet

Nice vid.

9?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He's saying that 9 is a lot to get (to catch up to 17)

Yeah, I don't think he's catching the slam record. The time as no.1 record is certainly plausible, though, at least to me.

if Novak wins at least one more US Open, two more RGs, Cincinnati, gets to around 14-15 slams, and has 250ish weeks at no.1, I'd have him as my favourite candidate for GOAT. I mean, sure, less slams. but Double Career Grand Slam plus the Career Masters Slam in the same era as Federer/Nadal/Murray is just too much to argue with.

MIMIC

Banned
https://twitter.com/roobynVC/status/584810053242376193/video/1

haha.gif

Gt338ke.gif

Diamond

Yeah, I don't think he's catching the slam record. The time as no.1 record is certainly plausible, though, at least to me.

if Novak wins at least one more US Open, two more RGs, Cincinnati, gets to around 14-15 slams, and has 250ish weeks at no.1, I'd have him as my favourite candidate for GOAT. I mean, sure, less slams. but Double Career Grand Slam plus the Career Masters Slam in the same era as Federer/Nadal/Murray is just too much to argue with.

Then again, if he manages to win all that, people will argue Novak had to wait that Federer was old, Nadal was crippled and Murray wasn't motivated as he used to to win Roland Garros, accomplish his career slams, double his slam count and reach the n°1 record, etc. Would be one hell of a palmares though.
That's partly why I think we need a strong new generation (and we seem to have it, at least premises of it), to really push the big four in their last years on tour.

You mean Lauren I think.

And Genie better not flop. Davis is the epitome of a weaponless player.
Yep. My iPad has been autocorrecting the weirdest things lately. And did anyone else see that tweet Andy Murray to Patrick McEnroe? Yu still in charge of the USTA brah?

Sloane got wrecked by the giant German Mona Barthel. Guess Sloane is coming back to Earth after her recent moderate success.

Meanwhile, Eugenie Bouchard is embarrassing herself playing Lauren Davis.

Considering how badly she has been playing lately I don't see her getting past Barthel/Stephens. :(

Eugenie won't make it to Barthel. She was dominated by lil Lauren 6-3, 6-1. I think her Semifinal run at the French last year will prove to be a fluke. She won't get far with that frying pan forehand on clay.

LuuKyK

Genie is literally playing the worst tennis I've ever seen. She is like a zombie on court and nothing in her game is clicking, not even her backhand which was her best shot last year.

Girl gotta find a way to turn this around before its too late. I mean she has Semi, Final and QF points to defend in the next three slams. lol

Diamond

Maybe she needs the ranking drop to put things into place. When you have a high risk game, you don't have a big margin when something goes wrong. Bouchard got a lot of attention last year, she's only 21, she almost won a slam. That's a lot of things to digest for one person.
Also, not that it's very important but it was 4th round at the US. :)

Peru

Sam Sumyk was a great fit for her, it seems.

A slump after a big breakthrough is common.. but some never recover.

Ricker

Hopefully it's her ''hump'' year or something...she still isnt 100% also,she had that ankle brace yesterday and seemed to move slower then usual,from the highlights I saw anyway...

Maybe she should play the FED cup in Montreal to get her back in a more enthusiastic atmosphere or something,but then again,it's on the weekend just before Stuggart and its not on clay...it would still be pressure though but a different kind lol...

LuuKyK

Hopefully it's her ''hump'' year or something...she still isnt 100% also,she had that ankle brace yesterday and seemed to move slower then usual,from the highlights I saw anyway...

Maybe she shoul play the FED cup in Montreal to get her back in a more enthusiastic atmosphere or something,but then again,it's on the weekend just before Stuggart and its not on clay...it would still be pressure though but a different kind lol...

Yeah, the surface change would ruin her game even further. The organizers really should re-think the Fed Cup schedule, its so dumb.

And there is no point in playing through an injury right now, so Genie really should not overdo it. We all know how IMG handle player injuries anyway ("just shut up about it and act like you are fine!").

Yeah, the surface change would ruin her game even further. The organizers really should re-think the Fed Cup schedule, its so dumb.

And there is no point in playing through an injury right now, so Genie really should not overdo it. We all know how IMG handle player injuries anyway ("just shut up about it and act like you are fine!").
It's also possible that she is overtraining, which is just one aspect to the slump. She looks so lean now. Then you got the pressure. So if she is physically unwell, she is more inclined to go for more, then miss more, shattering her confidence. She didn't want to construct any points yesterday against Lauren.

Delpo has pulled out of Monte Carlo. I just can't take this pain......

It's also possible that she is overtraining, which is just one aspect to the slump. She looks so lean now. Then you got the pressure. So if she is physically unwell, she is more inclined to go for more, then miss more, shattering her confidence. She didn't want to construct any points yesterday against Lauren.

Delpo has pulled out of Monte Carlo. I just can't take this pain......

Del-Potro-Hugs-Linesperson.gif

MIMIC

Banned
My doubles partner sucks so much that it makes me sick. The other team is serving 5*-0 (because, well, my partner fucking sucks), and so I start smacking winners because I refused to get bageled and because partner will fuck up any and every neutral ball.

We somehow get it to 5*-4...but there's no overcoming my horrible partner. 6-4 it is.

In another set, we had the AD 3 times, and he double faulted 3 different times. I was fucking over it. I didn't care if we won or lost (even though we were up a break). I just knew that he was going to fuck it up some how. We lost 5-7

When I was playing with a different partner, I was on fire. FH winners, dropshots, overheads, volleys....everything was clicking. My GOOD partner and I won one set 6-1, and another 6-3.

Great win for Sock. That's his first ATP tour title.

Keys lost in her finals to Kerber 7-5 in the third set today. Ironically, she played Kerber in a finals last year and won 7-5 in the third set. They flipped results.

Ricker

Great win for Sock. That's his first ATP tour title.

Keys lost in her finals to Kerber 7-5 in the third set today. Ironically, she played Kerber in a finals last year and won 7-5 in the third set. They flipped results.

Just watched the WTA final...it was pretty good,Kerber has a great defense,and Keys has a wicked forehand.

Diamond

My doubles partner sucks so much that it makes me sick. The other team is serving 5*-0 (because, well, my partner fucking sucks), and so I start smacking winners because I refused to get bageled and because partner will fuck up any and every neutral ball.

We somehow get it to 5*-4...but there's no overcoming my horrible partner. 6-4 it is.

In another set, we had the AD 3 times, and he double faulted 3 different times. I was fucking over it. I didn't care if we won or lost (even though we were up a break). I just knew that he was going to fuck it up some how. We lost 5-7

When I was playing with a different partner, I was on fire. FH winners, dropshots, overheads, volleys....everything was clicking. My GOOD partner and I won one set 6-1, and another 6-3.

If you lost 4-6 5-7, which is pretty close, it's not so bad. If you train together you should work on the things he misses during matches. Judging from your post, you're better than him so when you play doubles, you're the team leader, and it should be your responsibility to encourage him and push him to play better. If you let anger get the better of you because he misses a lot, you bring unnecessary tension into his game and yours, and in that situation you sure are not in a good position to win.

Caroline Wozniacki ‏@CaroWozniacki 19h19 hours ago
Congratulations to @JordanSpieth on winning @TheMasters! Extremely impressive how he came out firing from the start and never looked back!

after her fans shoot back because they think its a dig at her ex fiance...

Caroline Wozniacki ‏@CaroWozniacki 16h16 hours ago
Tweeps I was congratulating Speith on his win, nothing else.. It's time for some of you to move on from the past. Thank you! 😘

Top Bottom