• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
YESSSS! Nick is sure Slam champion, incredible performance from my countryman. Definitely a fan.

Roger is at that point In his career where he may want to consider skipping clay season all together. I remember in andy roddicks last 2 years on tour he skipped the French open because he knew his time would be better spent gearing up for Wimbledon

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Roger is at that point In his career where he may want to consider skipping clay season all together. I remember in andy roddicks last 2 years on tour he skipped the French open because he knew his time would be better spent gearing up for Wimbledon

Well, Andy could have done that at the beginning of his career really. I don't think he ever made it past the fourth round (?)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nadal was a dead man on court in his match with Coric and Murray made over 50 UEs in the worst match of his career and still won 6 games. Meanwhile, Kyrgios beat a Federer who was, if not good, at least not terrible, and ditto for Nadal. I think Kyrgios' wins are a little more impressive because of it.

LuuKyK

They are both pretty promising in their own way tbh. Coric is waaay to young still so even if he beat those top players in bad days its still a very good result.

There was a time in my life I would be devestates by this lose. But I know he's been on decline for years, and Clay would be the first surface to show. His movement declined as well as his concentration. Just wish he could've snatched Wimbledon last year.....

Reyne

One thing about the young guns is they rarely back up their big wins. WTF Kyrgios

Isner was always gonna be a tough match in the following round. Just goes to show how crappy Federer's draw was. Now have a gander at Nadal's... Now there is a cozy draw if I ever saw one.

That said, beating Federer or Nadal ( as we have seen a lot recently ) this early in a tournament generally does seem like bad luck. The opponent, youngster or otherwise, seldom seem to get by their next round.

Ricker

Wow,WTA is not very popular in Spain it seems...? they are showing the Williams/Kvitova match right now on SN1 and the place is deserted... :(

szaromir

Banned
It's a shame Nishikori doesn't have a killer serve to go along his incredible shotmaking. Still, I think he'll take the title this year.

Wow,WTA is not very popular in Spain it seems...? they are showing the Williams/Kvitova match right now on SN1 and the place is deserted... :(

There haven't been too many Spanish women that have been contenders in quite some time. At least none that come to mind. I think that's why muguruza is getting so hyped up there. They are wanting a countrywoman to get behind

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's a shame Nishikori doesn't have a killer serve to go along his incredible shotmaking. Still, I think he'll take the title this year.
Nishikori is on that vengeance tour, if he gets that serve up he'll be compared with Djokovic as the most complete player ever

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Unfortunately, he's met the unstoppable force that is Clayray. Muzza for RG15.

EDIT: Nishikori looks genuinely scared before every second serve. Murray absolutely brutalizing Kei's serves, just crazy. Having said that, Kei is absolutely dominating the longer rallies. Murray's only taking points when he's aggressive, the moment he goes on the defense he gets roasted by some incredibly early shots by Kei. This is a thrilling match.

EDIT2: Kei's dropshots are godly. This is such a good match-up, simply fantastic tennis right now. Incredibly aggressive tennis but at the same time smart, this isn't ball-bashing, this is controlled and pinpointed fury.

EDIT3: This edit dedicated solely to Kei's dropshots. We are not worthy.

EDIT4: I know I'm a Murray fan but this thread does not deserve to be this empty, you guys are missing something special. I really hope Kei wins the second set, this deserves to go to three.

EDIT: The Samurai winning over 90% of rallies over 9 points. He's just so dominant once he can overcome the tremendous advantage Murray is generating off his frankly immense returns.

EDIT: Murray showing Kei how the master does dropshots. This match is like dropshot heaven, simply delicious. Unfortuantely the quality is starting to dip in the second half of this second set; Kei's too far out of his comfort zone and the UEs are starting to rise. Shame, I was hoping he'd rip up a gear instead of down.

EDIT: Yeah, Nishikori chokes away the final game for a Murray 6-3, 6-4 win. Much closer than the scoreline shows, but what could have been an absolute classic marred by the last part of the second set.

szaromir

Banned

EDIT: Nishikori looks genuinely scared before every second serve. Murray absolutely brutalizing Kei's serves, just crazy. Having said that, Kei is absolutely dominating the longer rallies. Murray's only taking points when he's aggressive, the moment he goes on the defense he gets roasted by some incredibly early shots by Kei. This is a thrilling match.

EDIT2: Kei's dropshots are godly. This is such a good match-up, simply fantastic tennis right now. Incredibly aggressive tennis but at the same time smart, this isn't ball-bashing, this is controlled and pinpointed fury.

EDIT4: I know I'm a Murray fan but this thread does not deserve to be this empty, you guys are missing something special. I really hope Kei wins the second set, this deserves to go to three.

EDIT: The Samurai winning over 90% of rallies over 9 points. He's just so dominant once he can overcome the tremendous advantage Murray is generating off his frankly immense returns.

EDIT: Murray showing Kei how the master does dropshots. This match is like dropshot heaven, simply delicious. Unfortuantely the quality is starting to dip in the second half of this second set; Kei's too far out of his comfort zone and the UEs are starting to rise. Shame, I was hoping he'd rip up a gear instead of down.

Yeah, it was a good match, though the serve-return dynamics were too much skewed in Murray's favor for Kei to ever get in a free-flowing mode like yesterday against Ferrer.

Hopefully Andy does well tomorrow. Nadal was very impressive in his own dull way today.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This has been a great tournament. A lot of really fantastic matches - Kyrgios-Federer, Isner-Kyrgios, Berdych-Isner, Nadal-Berdych, Ferrer-Verdasco, Nishikori-Ferrer, Nishikori-Goffin, Murray-Nishikori, Granollers-Monfils, and Murray-Kohlschreiber were all really entertaining. Just have to hope Murray keeps the final competitive!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children

EDIT: Yeah, Nishikori chokes away the final game for a Murray 6-3, 6-4 win. Much closer than the scoreline shows, but what could have been an absolute classic marred by the last part of the second set.
I love this writeup

edit, ok this is a good match. Murray was on game quite a few times, incredible backhands in the first set and amazing serves in the second
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjlh74S7GjA

Don't care what anyone says, Kei's jumping shots stay fly. Murray knows

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, okay, this is largely due to Nadal's poor play, but even so...

Nadal is losing to Murray.

On clay

Badly!!!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I don't know what he got up to on his wedding night but it must have been good.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there's only so much the universe can give, I suppose.

Reyne

Murray just joined the ranks of Federer, Djokovic and
Zeballos
as the only men to beat Nadal in a clay final. Respect.

Top Bottom