• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
And it ends, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Clayray has risen. The end of the world is nigh.

szaromir

Banned
Live is Life! Lalalala!

What an appropriate song immediately after this match :) Though the Nadal of yesteryear would have never missed those final two returns.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Live is Life! Lalalala!

What an appropriate song immediately after this match :) Though the Nadal of yesteryear would have never missed those final two returns.
I couldn't see if Murray's serves just had that much impact or it was Rafa being worse than usual but he definitely seemed off during the whole second set

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray now has the fourth best clay resume of any active player, overtaking Wawrinka. Knocks Nadal out of the top five, for which he should be worshipped by Fed fans because Nadal was very close to overtaking Federer in the 'longest span in top five'.

EDIT: Murray also the first active player to win two clay titles in one week.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just realized, Federer got the wooden spoon this tournament. He lost to Kyrgios who lost to Isner who lost to Berdych who lost to Nadal who lost to Murray. I think that actually might be his career first wooden spoon?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I just checked the score on my phone... What? Am I going to have to watch the replay? Rise of a new clay god? I'm so confused.

It was a good match. Nadal was under par, for sure, but there were flashes of his usual game, enough to make it entertaining. Murray was glorious. Serving incredibly well and his CC backhand was something else, absolutely divine.

Bigfoot

Murray now has the fourth best clay resume of any active player, overtaking Wawrinka. Knocks Nadal out of the top five, for which he should be worshipped by Fed fans because Nadal was very close to overtaking Federer in the 'longest span in top five'.

EDIT: Murray also the first active player to win two clay titles in one week.
Is that actually a thing that people care about? In tennis nobody cares about being in the Top 5 or 10 or whatever once you have tasted being #1. Also in tennis being #5 is no different than being #8 in terms of draws. What matters is ranking in multiples of 2 (Top 2, 4, 8, etc) when it comes to getting a better draw.

yyzjohn

Banned
Why do I get the feeling Nadal is rope-a-dope in other clay tournaments and then will cruise at Roland Garros without dropping a set.

Hyeon CHUNG just won his second consecutive Challenger. Didn't drop a set either. He's on pace to overtake Nishikori as the worlds best Asian tennis player in a couple years

Ok. :p

How is he btw?

Just solid. Rarely makes errors, but won't blow you off the court. Typical Asian player game but he's only 18 so I know his game hasn't peaked.

I've only watched him play a couple matches though, but from what I have seen, he has intangibles for sure, and I like his on court attitude a lot better than most of the young guns these days (Tiafoe, Donaldson, and even Coric).

Just solid. Rarely makes errors, but won't blow you off the court. Typical Asian player game but he's only 18 so I know his game hasn't peaked.

I've only watched him play a couple matches though, but from what I have seen, he has intangibles for sure, and I like his on court attitude a lot better than most of the young guns these days (Tiafoe, Donaldson, and even Coric).
I LOVE Hyeon Chung.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I LOVE Hyeon Chung.

The trouble is, people say Coric has no weapons, but Chung is like, the definition of no weapons personified. I don't see much more than a Ferrer-esque career for him at best, he's even got the Ferrer work ethic down.

The trouble is, people say Coric has no weapons, but Chung is like, the definition of no weapons personified. I don't see much more than a Ferrer-esque career for him at best, he's even got the Ferrer work ethic down.

They both are young enough to develop weapons over the next few years. Hyeon Chung keeps rising and is top 70 now. He's playing a hardcourt challenger in his home country this week. Not exactly prepping for the French.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just realized, Federer got the wooden spoon this tournament. He lost to Kyrgios who lost to Isner who lost to Berdych who lost to Nadal who lost to Murray. I think that actually might be his career first wooden spoon?

I went and checked - this actually was Federer's career first wooden spoon, proudly handed out by Murray on clay.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
CE0CHUqWEAAgN8_.jpg

Ricker

Thats the serial killer emoji(Homolka look lol) ;)

Ivanovic,Wozniacki out in Rome....Bouchard.....she won,yes!!!! although after winning the first set 6-3 she was leading 5-0 in the second but let her opponent comeback to 5-4 until she finally won 6-4...

She plays CSN tomorrow,we will know then if she is ''back'' ;)

Ricker

Genie choked her match by doublefaulting twice in a third set tiebreak.

She also served for the match three times in the second set. What the fuck.

LMAO

Still,it was a great match,lasted 3 hours and it was close..CSN is number 10 after all,its not like this was a match like the ones she lost against number 100 or so...and about her being in shape,I think playing for 3 hours in a tight match answers that as well...she did good,except for those double faults at the worst possible time.

Peru

Bouchard needs to add some depth. CSN is clay-tailored and dangerous of course but if she added some speed to her footwork she would be slam contending.

Top Bottom