• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nishi nooo

Shame I missed that match and Roger's, thought he'd have it a bit harder. Rafa Stan might be good tho

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wawrinka is wrecking Nadal almost as hard as Clayray.

Almost.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wawrinka trying to end the match early with a quick headshot.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Now all that needs to happen is Ferrer d. Djokovic and Stan wins the title and Rafa is not even in seeded in the top 8 for RG! Honestly, Djokovic should do a sneaky tactical tank.

MIMIC

Banned
You know what? I STILL wouldn't be surprised if Nadal won RG. At this point, he has all the motivation he needs to do what he does best....which is winning RG.

But it's still worth noting that 4 of Nadal's 5 losses on clay this year have been in straight sets:

-Wawrinka: 7-6(7), 6-2 (Rome)
-Murray: 6-3, 6-2 (Madrid)
-Fognini: 6-4, 7-6(6) (Barcelona)
-Djokovic: 6-3, 6-3 (Monte Carlo)

szaromir

Banned
Fantastic performance by Stanimal. Shame Kei faltered in the final set. :(
You know what? I STILL wouldn't be surprised if Nadal won RG. At this point, he has all the motivation he needs to do what he does best....which is winning RG.

But it's still worth noting that 4 of Nadal's 5 losses on clay this year have been in straight sets:

Looking at that list they're all very good players, not like his losses on hard courts which happened to players across the entire spectrum. Plus the matches against Stanimal and Clayray were night sessions which obviously aren't a part of Roland Garros.

Still, I see comments everywhere that Nadal's grip at FO is so strong he's going to win there forever, but don't remember he used to own Monte Carlo and Barcelona in a similar fashion and look what happened there.

Diamond

To me Nadal can obviously still win the French, but after these last few weeks, he's not the favourite anymore. Far from it. Djokovic is. Nadal will have to deal with a harder draw and with the fact that everybody in the top 10 knows they can take one or several sets against him. He hasn't the mental superiority he had during the last ten years.
Could be an exciting slam.

darkwing

oh my, I stopped watching the match because I though Stan was going to lose, didn't know Stanimal went to town :(

but yup, Nadal is still going to win RG

Peru

CSN! 2-6 6-3 7-5. 4 of 5 of their last matches have been three setters. CSN owns Halep on clay, though, 4-0. CSN's team in tears of joy.

CFIMWS6WgAASPaE.png

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I predict Wawrinka whooping Federer today if he keeps up the level he had. Should be a good match anyhow

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly, I don't actually think some of those losses were that bad. Wawrinka was absolutely inspired from 2-6 down in the breaker. Some of the net rushes and backhands he pulled off from the point were absurd. Nine times in ten Nadal would have won that set. Similarly, Djokovic was playing really, really well at Monte Carlo and Murray was in pretty fine form in Madrid - he had literally just schooled the Samurai in the previous match. The only one of those losses where it really was just Nadal going completely and totally AWOL rather than an opponent having a good streak of form was the loss to Fognini in Barcelona.

Right now, I feel like the main problem with Nadal is mental. It's Federer's 2013 only for Nadal. I think Nadal will definitely be back as a top player soon. Maybe not in time for RG (which is pretty significant in itself), but he's only really getting stopped by players who are playing really, really well. It's not like random losses to Delbonis (lel).

Top Bottom