• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Dispatch

Which is better for a beginner recreational player? One is bigger and heavier: does that mean a bigger sweet spot and more control?

https://www.head.com/tennis/products/racquets/tour-speed/graphene-xt-speed-lite/8277/?region=eu

Graphene XT Speed Lite
Weight (unstrung) 260 g / 9.2 oz
Beam 24 mm
Head size 660 cm² / 102 in²
Balance 340 mm / even
Length Standard, 685 mm / 27 in
Grip size 0-5
String pattern 16/19

https://www.head.com/tennis/product...nct/graphene-xt-instinct-lite/8365/?region=eu

Graphene XT Instinct Lite
Weight (unstrung) 280 g / 9.9 oz
Beam 24/26/23 mm
Head size 690 cm² / 107 in²
Balance 330 mm - 2⁄3 in HL
Length 690 mm - 27.2 in
Grip size 0-5
String pattern 16/19

It varies, really. See if you can get a loaner from a local shop first and see which one is best for you.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Bencic defeats Kerber in a close match, 7-5, 6-3. Again she shows her mental strength after losing her serve while a break up at 3-2 only to immediately break back after Kerber had several points to hold.

Since starting her grass court season at s'Hertogenbosch, Bencic is 20-2, losing to Giorgi in the s'Hertogenbosch final and to Azarenka at Wimbledon (while winning Eastbourne and Toronto).

Very impressive. Kerber is a tough match for an opener.

Serena still not looking like her normal self, but it was enough to get by Pironkova today. I think the weight of trying to become a calendar slam champion is getting to her.

Niraj

Thought Coric was going to beat Stan earlier after that first set.

Paire was up a break on Djokovic just now but gave it back immediately. Djokovic is looking a bit off in general though.

Niraj

He looks off because Paire's game is completely unpredictable. If only Paire was handling deep returns a bit better...

Maybe, it kind of seemed like the humidity was getting to him though.

edit: lol that was an awesome point

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's Paire for you, if only he had a consistent forehand and better attitude, he'd be up there in top 20 easily.

Paire has the biggest backhand to forehand disparity of any player I can remember watching, it can get surreal at times.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Even more than Jack Sock? This I gotta see.

Yeah, for sure. Paire is comfortably trading backhands with Djokovic and coming ahead often if he can keep the ball rallying solely on the backhand; Djokovic himself as an absolutely cracking backhand so that's no mean feat. Meanwhile Sock's forehand has a ton of power but can you see Sock staying in forehand to forehand rallies with, say, Del Potro for particularly long? I can't. I'd go so far as to say Paire has a top ten tour backhand. He just doesn't have mentality, a forehand, a second serve, or good lateral movement.

Niraj

Probably fatigue concerns. She has been playing a ton of tennis lately, and she has her sites on the US-Open. Smart move to rest her imo

I'm seeing a right arm or wrist injury, but you're probably right. Probably felt something and didn't want to aggravate it.

Ricker

In straight sets too! Is she back in form?

I think so yes...she lost to Svitolina late last night but it was a very close match...she has never beaten her...I hope she gets to R16 at least at the USO...

Bencic retired from her match against Safarova...I guess even at 18,too much is not good for you,she should rest for the USO,she might cause a lot of damage there.

Niraj

It has to be so annoying to play Karlovic when he's on. He's playing Stan right now, third set tiebreak, third tiebreak of the match.

Wow, and Karlovic double faults on Stan's match point. Rough.

Edit: Djokovic just busted a racquet

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, didn't expect this from Goffin. He's like a worse Ferrer, the absolute definition of "no real weapons".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, the tennis year needs rescheduling so badly. Back to back Masters always end up with the second one being a bit of a crapfest.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
One of the greatest chokes you'll ever see from a top 20 player.

This choke is going to set Goffin's career back at least two years. Absolutely pathetic. Djokovic was limping around like a wounded gazelle on the Discovery Channel, but Goffin's still waiting for mama lion to finish the job for him. Fuck off.

This choke is going to set Goffin's career back at least two years. Absolutely pathetic. Djokovic was limping around like a wounded gazelle on the Discovery Channel, but Goffin's still waiting for mama lion to finish the job for him. Fuck off.

Haha I can always count on you for an analogy. This one was a 9/10

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen many wildlife documentaries where the wounded gazelle suddenly springs to life to kill, shred, and devour the baby lion.

LuuKyK

16096d825597c0a.gif

LuuKyK

context needed

Serena v. Ivanovic should be fun tomorrow

Toronto's award ceremony. The host said she was now a contender for winning the extra 1 million dollars for being the best in the us open series. She thought she had won an extra million for being the champ. Lol pretty funny/cute reaction

szaromir

Banned
lol 7 double faults from Novak. Goffin was lucky to even get within sniffing distance of winning.
He wasn't lucky, he played brilliantly before imploding, some incredible down the line shots. If anything, it was Djokovic who was lucky that Goffin completely lost the plot.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cilic having a slam and Tsonga not is one of the greatest tragedies of modern tennis.

I still think Tsonga has the best peak outside the big four, Stan was just lucky enough to hit his when the big four were weaker.

On the womens side, I do hope Woz gets a title before she hangs it up. I would hate for her to be in the statistical category of "former #1's to never win a slam". She deserves better than to share that statistic with Dinara Safina.

Top Bottom