• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On the womens side, I do hope Woz gets a title before she hangs it up. I would hate for her to be in the statistical category of "former #1's to never win a slam". She deserves better than to share that statistic with Dinara Safina.

Yeah, I agree with that. I quite like Woz, and you can't help but feel she underperforms a lot of the time.

I imagine there's quite a few women near the top who are waiting until Serena starts to decline to challenge as hard as possible for a Slam. Whether they get there before the Bencic/Muguruza generation take over, or whether Azarenka and Sharapova can tighten up and start winning a bundle of Slams, will be interesting to see.

Edit: On Woz specifically, I worry she'll never be a strong as she was a couple of years ago. When players who are so dependent on their movement and consistency suffer injuries and lose confidence it can be a very long road back.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I like Woz, but she's kind of frustrating to watch, because you feel like she is certainly capable of winning a slam, but either runs into somebody who just almost always obliterates her when they meet, or she loses a match that's perfectly winnable on paper. Her slam record is pretty abysmal (QFs or better 7 times out of 34 tries).

She just really needs an extremely generous draw, and not run into Serena or Azarenka lol. I guess the USO would probably be her best chance since she tends to do better there, comparatively.

Looks like Azarenka withdrew.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can't work out if Murray is legitimately terrible or tanking for US Open.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What an odd match. Murray's not really doing anything. Almost all of his rally balls are sitters into the centre. He doesn't even look annoyed if he nets one.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I get that this is maybe not a super high priority match for him after Montreal, but I'm somewhat surprised he's not putting a little more effort in as his #2 seed isn't guaranteed for the US Open unless Murray makes the final. I'd have thought he'd have wanted to put the effort in at least until Federer was out.

EDIT: cripes this is an ugly match. dimitrov won't accept murray's awfulness.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to watch the two Spaniards, I don't think there will be many more opportunities to watch Lopez playing decent tennis and it's an interesting clash of styles.

Fair enough. I switch over every now and again but the Murray-Dimitrov is morbidly fascinating. Quality is dire.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, this is ridiculous. Murray eventually woke up.

I don't think he has, he's still hitting a tonne of weak shots into the centre. Dimitrov is just... unable to find his length on any shots. Honestly one of the worst matches I've seen this year.

I don't think he has, he's still hitting a tonne of weak shots into the centre. Dimitrov is just... unable to find his length on any shots. Honestly one of the worst matches I've seen this year.

Yeah true, he just seems more energized all of a sudden. Like he's finally realized that he should probably at least try to win.

Niraj

Well, based on how the set has progressed, Murray should win the tiebreak. So Dimitrov will probably win easily.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can't work out if I want Flopez to win or not. We haven't had Fedal in so long...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Man, and I thought Goffin's choke was impressive. A set and a double-break up with 40-15 on serve, and yet the match is not over.

Murray gave him a gifted mini-break to start the tie-break, but Dimitrov returned the favour and then some with, I think, 4 UEs throughout the breaker (and 3 points won via Murray's first serve).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can't watch this any more, I'm starting to pity Dimitrov and I don't even like the man.

szaromir

Banned
Pretty impressed by how well Lopez has been playing.

Yup, very fragile on serve in the first set since he couldn't get 1st serves in and he appeared very nervous whenever his service game was about to start. However, on Nadal's service games he appeared to be fighting very well, so he managed to push the set to 5-all before succumbing. He got an early break in the second set and once he managed to save the break point and went 4-2 up he finally relaxed and started serving really well. Nadal's serving also improved at the same time, but since he was already behind in the set, the outcome of the match had to be decided in the third set tiebreak.

It was a fascinating contest between a player who relies on heavy top-spin to set up points vs a player who relies on slice.

Can't believe we've been robbed of a Fedal match yet again.

Hopes Dimitrov can close this out now. A defeat would crush him.

(hi, fellow tennis fans ! First post in this thread.)

Niraj

Wow, hell of a point by Dimitrov there.

Yup, very fragile on serve in the first set since he couldn't get 1st serves in and he appeared very nervous whenever his service game was about to start. However, on Nadal's service games he appeared to be fighting very well, so he managed to push the set to 5-all before succumbing. He got an early break in the second set and once he managed to save the break point and went 4-2 up he finally relaxed and started serving really well. Nadal's serving also improved at the same time, but since he was already behind in the set, the outcome of the match had to be decided in the third set tiebreak.

It was a fascinating contest between a player who relies on heavy top-spin to set up points vs a player who relies on slice.

Well said. I've always thought Lopez has had the ability to do better than he has, he's got that nice serve and is a leftie, but it's rare to see him put it all together like he did here.

Can't believe we've been robbed of a Fedal match yet again.

Hopes Dimitrov can close this out now. A defeat would crush him.

(hi, fellow tennis fans ! First post in this thread.)

Hey, welcome.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just to recap, Dimitrov has now double-faulted on 2 breakpoints and a setpoint, choked from a set and a double-break up with 40-15 on serve, and failed to serve out the match by getting broken to love.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
ahahahahah

ahahaha

ahahahahahahahahaha

this match is so bad

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
When you're playing against Dmitrov on a big point, just wait for the error. It will work 90% of the time

You know, we joke about this but do you remember that Kanderson choke to Dimitrov? That makes Kanderson, like, Ultimate Tier Choker.

Top Bottom